Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
I haven’t interviewed many people, and I personally wouldn’t care if things were finished, but if the code quality was crap with nothing else as evidence to the contrary, I would probably hold it against someone a bit.

On a possibly related note, all the code on my GitHub is private.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

If you are applying for a junior engineer position with no previous dev experience, and you have a deployed website, where I can click around for a few minutes and see no red text in the console nor bugs on the page, I will not even consider looking at your github. If you do not, I'm almost certainly going to prefer the candidate that does, since it means I will not have to look at your Github. Github is simply far too time consuming(especially given the applicants we got) for how little information it realistically gives you.

And, like the poster above, all the code on my github is also private.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

GitHub recently changed their business model, it's now free to have private repos and collaborate with other free users on private repos. Two or three years ago that was a paid feature. I'd leave your absolute best most polished stuff visible, hide the rest

And yeah a functional, deployed live project is a huge green check mark in my book

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I kinda like to see some half completed experiments, I like to hire geeks and someone who only writes stuff they finish is probably not a geek. So I'd leave them. You definitely want at least 1 polished, "professional" project and maybe 1 where you tried to stretch even if it wasn't successful. I don't do coding tests but I like to walk through a candidates project. I commonly ask "show me something that went well, show me something where you tried to do something cool."

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

That's a really cool approach. I have lots of ideas for apps that I want to start and might not finish!

What's your consensus on README's/documenting the app built? I go out of my way to make nice-looking, readable, extensive README's but don't know if employers care about that. Either way, I like doing them and it helps me better understand, so whatever.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Okay thanks all. The other job asked for a GitHub link so I wanted to double check. I should make a portfolio site (as much as I hate them) and put up a project that isn't a private thing. I'll post it in here when I'm done. Tha k you all.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

fawning deference posted:

That's a really cool approach. I have lots of ideas for apps that I want to start and might not finish!

What's your consensus on README's/documenting the app built? I go out of my way to make nice-looking, readable, extensive README's but don't know if employers care about that. Either way, I like doing them and it helps me better understand, so whatever.

Documentation is always good and if the project isn't live I would consider it essential.

If someone asks for a GitHub link and you have multiple projects, I would either curate it or somehow indicate what you think the best example of your work is.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

first move tengen posted:

Would anyone mind taking a look at my portfolio ? I just finished polishing up my projects and want to start sending out applications for web dev jobs. But first it'd be nice to have a few more people critique it, and I don't know many people in the tech world other than my bootcamp's staff. I tried to keep the amount of text on there to a minimum, because I imagine most recruiters don't want to spend much time reading, but it's hard to know if it's too little or not.

Also, is it worth it to pay for Heroku dynos that don't sleep for each of my projects, at least while job searching? I think the free ones go to sleep after 30 mins of inactivity. I'm picturing a recruiter trying to open one of them, having to wait more than a few seconds, and then closing it and assuming it was a dead link.

First off, from another A/a grad - congrats on finishing the program and good luck in your search!

I think it's worth paying - I just tried out the portfolio and the images didn't load at first, and I also saw console errors. I had to refresh after a bit. Having been on the hiring end of junior devs, given the insane volume of resumes, I might have simply clicked away and gone on to the next one. How much do they cost these days? It's probably a worthwhile investment.

One thing I'd do is have a Projects section and then link your resume/LinkedIn/AngelList in another section - it wasn't immediately clear which things were projects. I had to clicked the LinkedIn link to see it was actually your LinkedIn page, and not a "Facenook" style clone.

Overall, your projects looks really really great and I would 100% be giving you a phone screen.

Harriet Carker fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 28, 2021

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Github lets you pin the repositories which you actually want people to look at to the top of your profile page.

first move tengen
Dec 2, 2011

Harriet Carker posted:

First off, from another A/a grad - congrats on finishing the program and good luck in your search!

I think it's worth paying - I just tried out the portfolio and the images didn't load at first, and I also saw console errors. I had to refresh after a bit. Having been on the hiring end of junior devs, given the insane volume of resumes, I might have simply clicked away and gone on to the next one. How much do they cost these days? It's probably a worthwhile investment.

One thing I'd do is have a Projects section and then link your resume/LinkedIn/AngelList in another section - it wasn't immediately clear which things were projects. I had to clicked the LinkedIn link to see it was actually your LinkedIn page, and not a "Facenook" style clone.

Overall, your projects looks really really great and I would 100% be giving you a phone screen.

Thank you for the feedback and advice! The cheapest tier is $7 a month per website on Heroku, which in the end isn't too bad, really. I'll just bite the bullet; better to lower the chances of people just skipping over me.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

fawning deference posted:

Very important. Managers live in documentation and people who are good at it are very valuable. I usually ask a bunch about documentation and even if it doesn't come up it's a good opportunity to frame your projects in the best light. Time spent on documentation is time well spent.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Lockback posted:

Very important. Managers live in documentation and people who are good at it are very valuable. I usually ask a bunch about documentation and even if it doesn't come up it's a good opportunity to frame your projects in the best light. Time spent on documentation is time well spent.

Yeah - one of the things I hear over and over from my dev friends in the industry already is that my READMEs are really good for a junior developer. Most learning engineers have minimal to no README for projects. Glad I'm not wasting my time in terms of what employers like.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Thank you for the feedback and advice! The cheapest tier is $7 a month per website on Heroku, which

I've not personally used heroku but as the industry is shifting to containers* and AWS, being able to speak to that deployment strategy has a lot more value than heroku at this point

But heroku is better than nothing

*Save the argument for the devops thread

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself

Congrats! Working on projects and presenting them was my favorite part of my bootcamp too. It feels awesome finally just really making your own things rather than following tutorials.

Would anyone mind taking a look at my portfolio ? I just finished polishing up my projects and want to start sending out applications for web dev jobs. But first it'd be nice to have a few more people critique it, and I don't know many people in the tech world other than my bootcamp's staff. I tried to keep the amount of text on there to a minimum, because I imagine most recruiters don't want to spend much time reading, but it's hard to know if it's too little or not.

Also, is it worth it to pay for Heroku dynos that don't sleep for each of my projects, at least while job searching? I think the free ones go to sleep after 30 mins of inactivity. I'm picturing a recruiter trying to open one of them, having to wait more than a few seconds, and then closing it and assuming it was a dead link.

i have very small pieces of feedback, but some super easy enhancements to facenook would be to fix the status updates breaking outside of their container, so the site looks good at mobile breakpoints.

Also make the input fields have a min font-size of 16px, so the phone browser doesn't zoom in when you click on the text fields.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Hadlock posted:

I've not personally used heroku but as the industry is shifting to containers* and AWS, being able to speak to that deployment strategy has a lot more value than heroku at this point

But heroku is better than nothing

*Save the argument for the devops thread

i've been using heroku to host various toy resume apps for years. i have paid heroku zero dollars in that time. imo it is a great service (or at least was a few years ago when i started using it, haven't investigated alternatives) - i just point it at a git repo and it builds it and hosts it on the internet, and you only have to pay if it gets a large amount of use. it's nice that it auto-deploys my heroku site if I make a commit rather than me having to go through the work to do the deploy stuff again.

you can do the same stuff with aws and containers but it's less turn-key and there there are more limits on what you can get for free (e.g. aws code deploy only lets you set up one pipeline for free per month.) for me heroku is just a means to an end (getting the demo web app on the internet easily without doing a bunch of bs.)

first move tengen
Dec 2, 2011

teen phone cutie posted:

i have very small pieces of feedback, but some super easy enhancements to facenook would be to fix the status updates breaking outside of their container, so the site looks good at mobile breakpoints.

Also make the input fields have a min font-size of 16px, so the phone browser doesn't zoom in when you click on the text fields.

Thank you!! I really appreciate all the tips from everyone. I fixed that now. I actually had no idea that 16px was a breakpoint for that zoom feature on mobile until just now, so that was nice to learn

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Hi thread, oldie here.

Just posting to say I started a little discord (originally in the NYC thread) specifically for programming mentorship.

The goal is to provide a place where people can get guidance on how to start, learn, get a job, navigate their career, etc. - not unlike these very forums, but on Discord and open to anyone who wants to join.

We've got about a dozen people in there right now, with a pretty even mix of mentors and mentees.

https://discord.gg/3v3Y28Gh4K

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
I am not sure if this is the thread to ask, but there are so many threads to choose from. If this is the wrong thread, please direct me to a better thread for this question.

I have a career, master's degree in it and everything, but the pandemic has made it highly unappealing to work in at this time. I am taking an official break from even thinking about that line of work. However, it's not a computer job, and I have no experience working in software.

Some of my friends and relatives have ushered me towards entry-level fully-remote data entry jobs at companies they work at or know of. The requirements are basically knowing how to use Excel, willing to learn about specific database software, and write emails that aren't riddled with errors. I was wondering if this Coursera IBM Data Analyst Professional Certificate teaching Excel, Cognos, and basic Python would offer any benefit to me for increasing skills in that area? I have no qualms doing basic work for basic pay, I just thought some extra skills might help my resume in case I end up doing this line of work for longer than expected and want to increase my working hours or hop companies down the road.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Career Path Thread may be better since you'll get advice from a wider/more closely related field.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3533210&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=63

My impression with remote data entry is its way more about using the tools the company uses, which may be proprietary but will certainly follow their own snowflake process. If you have a masters you are already wildly over qualified, so a class may not help too much.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Lockback posted:

If you have a masters you are already wildly over qualified, so a class may not help too much.

And data entry is stultifying. It's miserable, tedious work, and it's not really a role that is upwardly mobile unless you want to someday be a manager of a bunch of data entry drones.

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 7, 2022

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The March Hare posted:

Hi thread, oldie here.

Just posting to say I started a little discord (originally in the NYC thread) specifically for programming mentorship.

The goal is to provide a place where people can get guidance on how to start, learn, get a job, navigate their career, etc. - not unlike these very forums, but on Discord and open to anyone who wants to join.

We've got about a dozen people in there right now, with a pretty even mix of mentors and mentees.

https://discord.gg/3v3Y28Gh4K

There are some pretty good slacks you can join if you ask around as well

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

And data entry is stultifying. It's miserable, tedious work, and it's not really a role that is upwardly mobile unless you want to someday be a manager of a bunch of data entry drones.

Yeah but you can automate it and do 8 hours of work in 10 minutes and not tell anyone. Then you just smoke weed and watch Netflix all day

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

Lockback posted:

Career Path Thread may be better since you'll get advice from a wider/more closely related field.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3533210&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=63

My impression with remote data entry is its way more about using the tools the company uses, which may be proprietary but will certainly follow their own snowflake process. If you have a masters you are already wildly over qualified, so a class may not help too much.

Thank you for the thread direction, I'll post there. The bolded part of your post is the reality of it, and I guess it's better to not jump the gun and get ahead of myself for no reason. I'll stick to increasing my Excel skills.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

PITY BONER posted:

I'll stick to increasing my Excel skills.

What is your goal with that? You seem focused on Excel. Knowing some basic spreadsheet stuff isn't a bad thing, but it's also not really that critical to know beyond basics.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Kinda a additional question to one I asked earlier but are portfoli websites that important or does a decent git hub do alright? I hate writing about myself so the idea of having to put together a portfolio website kinda disgust me lol.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

aperfectcirclefan posted:

Kinda a additional question to one I asked earlier but are portfoli websites that important or does a decent git hub do alright? I hate writing about myself so the idea of having to put together a portfolio website kinda disgust me lol.

Portfolio websites are generally better, but not really required. If you really want to do FE or UX type stuff then they are nearly required.

If you do just have a github spend the extra time on good documentation then.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

aperfectcirclefan posted:

Both were referenced in almost every interview I've been on.

As said above, make sure to have documentation on ur Github. Also if you decide to do a portfio website it stands out to have short demo's of your projects. You don't really have to make it about yourself personally, just make it about stuff you did.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I'd think anything you can do to make yourself stand out is a good thing. It won't hurt to have a nice-looking portfolio, even if it's basic.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?
I'm pivoting from a career in environmental science to tech. I think I have babby's first screening interview tomorrow :kingsley:. A fintech company reached out to me on AngelList for a "quick chat"--this is a screening interview, right? My chat is with their internal recruiter for engineers. What are these calls like?

How i'm planning to prepare:
-do the homework that my contact person provided me (read a coupla news articles, be able to reference them in a not-so-forced way)
-be prepared to talk about my experience as it relates to their tech stack

Anything I'm missing? Any tips greatly appreciated.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
initial screens are pretty casual. just talk about yourself and your tech stack and at least pretend to be interested in what the company does and you should be set.

it's hard to gently caress up screens unless you're a total dick

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Yep, try to find the posting for the company and take a look at what they are looking for. Try to hit the keywords you can reasonably talk to. If you're missing something big then take some time now to do some cram and say you have "Some exposure to MongoDB" or whatever. Generally they are just what they sound, a way to screen who is worth talking to and who isn't, they won't get very deep.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

durrneez posted:

I'm pivoting from a career in environmental science to tech. I think I have babby's first screening interview tomorrow :kingsley:. A fintech company reached out to me on AngelList for a "quick chat"--this is a screening interview, right? My chat is with their internal recruiter for engineers. What are these calls like?

How i'm planning to prepare:
-do the homework that my contact person provided me (read a coupla news articles, be able to reference them in a not-so-forced way)
-be prepared to talk about my experience as it relates to their tech stack

Anything I'm missing? Any tips greatly appreciated.

LC for TV

Practice your algorithms stuff for the call after that one

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit

Romes128 posted:

Both were referenced in almost every interview I've been on.

As said above, make sure to have documentation on ur Github. Also if you decide to do a portfio website it stands out to have short demo's of your projects. You don't really have to make it about yourself personally, just make it about stuff you did.

Huh okay thanks for this. Most of my portfolio involves WordPress sites; should I just omit those if they're not doing anything special and focus on stuff I made in JavaScript etc?

Thanks again. I'm working on my portfolio now and hoping to post a link soon to be roasted

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

leper khan posted:

LC for TV

Practice your algorithms stuff for the call after that one

teen phone cutie posted:

initial screens are pretty casual. just talk about yourself and your tech stack and at least pretend to be interested in what the company does and you should be set.

it's hard to gently caress up screens unless you're a total dick

Lockback posted:

Yep, try to find the posting for the company and take a look at what they are looking for. Try to hit the keywords you can reasonably talk to. If you're missing something big then take some time now to do some cram and say you have "Some exposure to MongoDB" or whatever. Generally they are just what they sound, a way to screen who is worth talking to and who isn't, they won't get very deep.

Thanks for the advice! I think it went well. They asked for my availabilities for a followup at the close of the call.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I see it's done now but the tip I have is to remember that you're probably talking to an HR person who is just trying to score you on a checklist, and that if you want the job you have to tick the boxes. I got filtered out for a job I wanted when I was asked if I had Java 8 experience and I said I'd done plenty of Java 7 programming. I know it's the same poo poo but some HR person doesn't.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Truman Peyote posted:

I see it's done now but the tip I have is to remember that you're probably talking to an HR person who is just trying to score you on a checklist, and that if you want the job you have to tick the boxes. I got filtered out for a job I wanted when I was asked if I had Java 8 experience and I said I'd done plenty of Java 7 programming. I know it's the same poo poo but some HR person doesn't.

Yep, this is good advice, hence why I say always study the job posting and tailor your terminology to that. The HR person will frequently just have the posting printed off and will literally check off the requirements.

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum
I attended a bootcamp a bit over a year ago, and have been doing my time at my first (arguably bad) coding job for the last year. I'm now out searching for a new gig and have found a lot of success targeting companies that don't have traditional recruiting strategies.

One place has never seen my resume and actively advised against sending it in. I answered a few essay questions, passed a screening with an engineer, and was given an untimed coding challenge. Once that passed I got more interviews with an engineer and I've scheduled the final interview in two weeks.

Another place glanced at my resume and fired off a coding challenge that wasn't too hard. I had 5 days and easily completed it in time. Once that was done, I had to pass some pretty chill interviews with engineers and next week I'll do the final round of chats with some execs. Resume has been discussed zero times.

Your mileage may vary, and maybe I've gotten really lucky. But places that just want to see you write some code and follow directions and then check to make sure you're not a goober are making this job search feel easy so far. That said, I also have zero offers at the moment; but I am at least making it pretty far into the process at the first couple of places I've talked to.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Which boot camp did you attend?

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

Jeez, this startup is moving fast. I had my screening on Wednesday and today, I got a call that I’m proceeding and have a behavioral with a senior engineer—TOMORROW. :0 what. Is this a typical experience?

The last few places that I’ve worked (all non-tech) took months to get back to me about my application. This is like light speed for me.

durrneez fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Some places are fast, I try to have a screening and (if we like them) an interview scheduled within a week of application. I've found you are way more likely to land quality candidates if you don't have a lot of dead time.