Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Scrub ur cast iron with olive oil and kosher salt to clean them out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bharatrocity
Oct 20, 2005

One day son, all I own will still belong to the state

Saw this graph. Can anyone explain to me why we're talking about temperatures in the 2-3 range?

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Profits would go down if the proles knew they were already dead

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Schmeichy posted:

I liked the bit where they didn't listen to the main characters because they were from University of Michigan, not an ivy.

They were from Michigan State, U of M is a good school.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Harik posted:

one thing that's really crack-pinging me lately is that literally nothing you can buy, for any price, is made to last anymore.

Houses? lol you're lucky to get a decade out of a modern one. Cars? Good luck getting through the 7 year financing without it falling apart. Clothing? I've got shirts I bought 20 years ago that are in better shape than expensive ones I bought 2 months ago. Literally falling apart after one laundry cycle.

Crapitalism discovered that people were saying "you get what you pay for" and realized they could sell the same garbage at a higher price point and people assumed it was better quality. Now you might as well buy something at the store and throw it in the trash cans on your way out and save yourself the effort of taking it home.

This is probably related to the exponentially growing pile of trash this country exports...

It's also related to why "first world" energy consumption per capita is so high, because it costs an enormous amount to make things and dispose of them, and our lifecycle is rapidly approaching 0. This is without even going into how over-packaged everything is. 15 layers of plastic and cardboard we could live with if it lasted a decade. Not so much if we have to replace it every week.

This is well beyond any individual action short of becoming a helicopter pilot, because there's no market signal you can possibly send to counteract it. They can out-advertise any boycott campaign and there's no label saying "this only lasts a month" that you can refuse to buy. it's going to require governments to intervene and lol, lmao at the thought of any government doing anything to impede the ascent of number.

afaik cars today are actually more reliable they have ever been in terms of longevity, I believe the expected lifetime is 200k miles. Obviously depends on the model, but a camry or accord will last forever

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Owling Howl posted:

IKEA furniture is mostly compressed sawdust - a waste product and recyclable. Obviously only the unsophisticated or poor buy such things.

I demand my furniture be made of the finest solid oak planks so I know at least a 100+ year old tree was felled to make my sock drawer. That is true power and the mark of a gentleman.

IKEA is poo poo, there's a reason it's so cheap. Great for like, cups and plates, not so great for furniture since even a stiff breeze could knock it over.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I find that most Ikea is at least as durable as most of that plywood Mid Century Modern furniture that people like.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

nomad2020 posted:

I find that most Ikea is at least as durable as most of that plywood Mid Century Modern furniture that people like.

If you build it with wood glue and Loctite it holds up just fine

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

nomad2020 posted:

it would be pretty bizarre for particle board to be as durable as plywood, which is pretty much the best material you can use. also ikea stuff is generally pine which is incredibly cheap. I do have an ikea particle board dresser that I just haven't gotten around to replacing yet, and when you close the door it not only slams loudly, but the whole thing wobbles.

if you want MCM stuff that will last forever, you could get things like this, incredibly expensive of course but will last until after we go extinct easily. a much better option for most people is just to find another place that refurbishes, or go on craigslist.

https://www.danishteakclassics.com/shop-danish-teak/storage/

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
just make your furniture out of old discarded pallets like me

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Bharatrocity posted:

Saw this graph. Can anyone explain to me why we're talking about temperatures in the 2-3 range?

Well as you can see temperatures lead CO2 so our relatively lower temperature should actually pull our CO2 down :science:

Bharatrocity
Oct 20, 2005

One day son, all I own will still belong to the state

Ruggan posted:

Well as you can see temperatures lead CO2 so our relatively lower temperature should actually pull our CO2 down :science:

Good. Was already half way to becoming a doomsday prepper, but that graph broke something in my brain

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

SKULL.GIF posted:

Sometimes I pause to think about how practically every American "carpet" is plastic nowadays

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aDNPhq5ggoE

I remember seeing this years ago and wondering if there really was so much plastic in the furniture, fixtures and fittings of my place. Surely I'm not living in and surrounded by plastic at all times?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Twigand Berries posted:

They were from Michigan State, U of M is a good school.

:chloe:

Incredible

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's hilarious to me that I'm sure the logic behind superyachts is "we can always just fish for unlimited food!" :downs:

They exclaim, as the bosun reels up the second knockoff Barbie doll torso of the day.

-----

Complete aside, if you want to punch your monitor, check out this poo poo making the rounds on US television: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOURX29-eFQ

The O&NG industry literally weaponized the "Come Back, Zinc" filmstrip from The Simpsons.

this is great because it actually illustrates super graphically all the unsustainable things which will fall apart and either become completely unavailable or available only to the extreme wealthy in their climate controlled compounds

and while it professes to have zero self awareness about that, come on, this is placating the proles to keep the party going and the proles know it now because we have poo poo like Don't Look Up as the MSM

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

The cowards disabled comments on that video and that makes me sad. I wanted to post a reference to how the Grenfell tower fire was also made possible by oil.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I had gotten cheap, unrefrigerated tortillas to make pre-xmas dinner. My mother pointed out those always used to be in the cold aisle, and asked why this was no longer true. I said gee mom let's find out, and pointed at the two phthalates in the ingrediants. "They put plastic in them now, mom, and then we cook and eat it".

Usually I buy giant frozen bundles of mexican ones that just have masa in them, goofed up this time! There's no phthalates in my hair cleaner, as it proudly advertises, but, in my food? Mmmm, plastic goodness.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
Ikea sucks but so does spending my entire yearly income on a solid wood end table so guess where I'm buying my furniture.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

bag em and tag em posted:

Ikea sucks but so does spending my entire yearly income on a solid wood end table so guess where I'm buying my furniture.

what size end table are you looking for?

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005
Ever since i started watching Alone ive been carving my own spoons out of wood... great gifts.

Bought a sewing machine a few years ago, paid for itself many times over in sock repair and restoration alone.

All the plastic talk in the thread is my latest crack. I knew it was plastic world but never stopped and took account of all the plastic im looking at and touching at all times. Creeps me out! Everything on earth was biodegradable until what 1900? Lol lmao

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Bharatrocity posted:

the real answer is because we’re talking about a +2-3c from a recent baseline year to a specific year relatively soon in the future. Look at the X axis on that chart. The difference between now and 2050 barely could be indicated on a chart covering such a massive timescale.

You stick a steak in an oven straight from the fridge and check on it 30 seconds later it’s still going to be cold.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Kicked Throat posted:

All the plastic talk in the thread is my latest crack. I knew it was plastic world but never stopped and took account of all the plastic im looking at and touching at all times. Creeps me out! Everything on earth was biodegradable until what 1900? Lol lmao

Until 1960-ish. We've set that demon free in a single lifespan.

Rime posted:

I wake up and stretch, in a bed filled with plastic fibers.

Get up, my feet touch a carpeted floor, made of plastic fibers.

Open the curtains / blinds, made of spun plastic fibers.

Put on some clothes, made of plastic fibers.

The water (filled with microplastics at the source) in my tap travels through kilometers of plastic piping and tubing. I brush my teeth with plastic fibers on a plastic handle.

Make some coffee / tea in a plastic kettle, mix in some honey from a plastic container.

Pour my breakfast oats out of a plastic bag. Eat them off a plastic plate.

Throw my lunch in a plastic container, into my backpack made of plastic, head out the door. Keycard is plastic, I've lost a couple.

Hop into my truck, cab decked out in plastic, turn on the cabin heater full blast.

Head off to work. Walk around in my plastic boots.

Grind a few dozen lbs of short-chain polymer resin into the air and watch it blow away on the breeze, smiling at a job well done.

Get "home", cook some dinner out of plastic packaging. Read the label with my plastic lenses.

Chill out on my couch made of plastic. Reading my e-reader made of plastic.

Repeat the first few steps in reverse, settling down into my semi-plastic bed for a peaceful 8 hours of slumber.

Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings! Another beautiful day on this glorious planet we call home, I'm sure. Glad I focus on living a clean healthy life filled with exercise and a nutritious diet!

#blessed.

:suicide:

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.

ELTON JOHN posted:

there is so, so much cool used furniture out there i dont know why anyone would buy new

and a used sock drawer made out of a 100+ year old oak is better for the environment than a new ikea whatever

omg did you even read his post? it's RECYCLED MATERIAL!!! who cares if the delivery driver sometimes has to drive an hour to get to the store and then an hour to the customer's house?? it's recycled

lol, seriously, though, it's rare for me to deliver ikea products to someone who is actually poor, it's usually trendy hipsters or ultra rich people who literally live in actual mansions

the receipts are typically $500-$2000 for whatever we're delivering

if you live somewhere with an active craigslist or some sort of facebook market thing, there are a lot of people who are literally just giving decent furniture away for free that will probably go to the dump in a few days if they can't get rid of it

story time!

i remember specifically one job where a rich customer wanted us to donate a bunch of stuff to goodwill, but they were in a hurry and didn't realize they had to call and make sure they would accept it because donations don't exactly work like "here's a pile of all my random poo poo! bye!" (probably because if you don't do that first, you're not just donating stuff but also donating a job that someone has to do sorting through your bullshit you don't want)

i asked the guy "did you call goodwill to make sure they'd accept the donations?" and after realizing it would take time and effort, dude said "gently caress it, there's no time. send it all to the dump."

so, naturally, me and my coworker looked through the stuff for valuable things to keep as we were loading it. (i scored a brand new, in-the-box bluetooth record player and a sweet old-school lamp, in case anyone is wondering)

we stopped at a box that had a bunch of personal sentimental things like photos of old friends, and we were like "are you...sure you want to throw this away? it looks important." and the dude checked with his wife and she was like "oh! no! we need to keep that! throw away everything else tho!"

:words: anyway, the moral of the story is that the planet is the stuff going to the dump because it's ;_; Too Much Work :qq: to sort through everything because that would be :qq: Hard.

on days we go to the dump, it is never lost on me that i'm seeing so many piles of garbage that didn't need to be wasted and that i stand in one of thousands and thousands of facilities just like that one that look like that every single day

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Alobar posted:

i remember specifically one job where a rich customer wanted us to donate a bunch of stuff to goodwill, but they were in a hurry and didn't realize they had to call and make sure they would accept it because donations don't exactly work like "here's a pile of all my random poo poo! bye!" (probably because if you don't do that first, you're not just donating stuff but also donating a job that someone has to do sorting through your bullshit you don't want)

:confused: this is exactly how it works where I live. a constant line of soccer moms in oversized SUVs dropping off indiscriminate trash bags full of random garbage at the goodwill drop off spot (they don't have to get out, of course, the workers unload everything).

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

Rime posted:

Until 1960-ish. We've set that demon free in a single lifespan.

I know thats industrial scale and whats fifty years in humanity but bakelite/polyoxybenzylmethylenglycolanhydride fully synthetic material was made in 1907.

Appreciate that plastic post it definitely made me feel warm when i first read it.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Xaris posted:

the key phrase is "planned obsolescence"

then what happens to the goods that were higher-priced but made better, they start dwindling and having to cut prices and cut quality until everything is race to the bottom planned obsolescence garbage to keep profits flowing

This whole post is v.good and thank you

i wanted to discuss this part here, because i don't think it's a given. there was and is still a demand for durable goods, but there's no supply. it's a market failure, but an inevitable one in capitalism. people still pay top-dollar for things they perceive to be quality (apple products are an obvious one here) but are essentially the same as everything else on the market, and not any longer lasting than the rest. so i think there's more to it than just "people got poorer and there was a race to the bottom". there was a race to more profit at the top of the market as well, because the incessant screech of marketing drowns out all other feedback. so now there's no cost to burning a customer by selling them the same trash with a few cents of extra polish on top for 4x the cost.

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.

500 good dogs posted:

:confused: this is exactly how it works where I live. a constant line of soccer moms in oversized SUVs dropping off indiscriminate trash bags full of random garbage at the goodwill drop off spot (they don't have to get out, of course, the workers unload everything).

do you live in a dense metropolis? that's where i live.

the dump costs money, so if there was a big pile of stuff the goodwill couldn't give away to someone else and had to take it to the dump themselves, then they'd have to A) get it to the dump and B) pay at least the minimum fee for the dump, which is like $40-50 per load.

i think that if people could send all their stuff to goodwill instead of the dump then the goodwill would basically look like what the dump looks like.

i remember one job that we had, we went and picked up the stuff from the lady's house, but when we got to the goodwill it was a goodwill that doesn't accept *any* donations. and then we checked other goodwills in the city, and they were closed. then we checked the dumps, they were closed. we were in san francisco, and we found a goodwill (i think in richmond? or berkeley?) where we could just drop everything off, so we drove an hour to get there.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

bag em and tag em posted:

we're in Vermont now which has no shortage of extremely affordable, decent used furniture and we're also not looking to move any time soon. That said, we have a set of 5 matching Ikea bookcases, which have survived not one not two but three moves including interstate, because they look nice and colorful and are functional and we've kept them intact and unbroken by moving them as complete assembled units wrapped and protected. They were $200-each-marked-down-to-$80, we have a poo poo ton of books, and that $400 just looks better and better the longer I go without having to come up with a new solution for the library / extra room / whatever it is at this moment in time.

As far as "cheap furniture that may as well be disposable", I'd put Ikea near the top just because their policy afaik (and this is how we ended up with a bunch of it) is that they build to the toughest environmental standards of any country they sell in with the exception of adding flame retardants as required by California law in some cases. When we bought all this poo poo 10 years ago I read a bunch of stuff, and the amount of formaldehyde and other offgassing from Ikea compressed wood products beats the poo poo out of anything you're liable to find at WalMart

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/files/pdf/2a/0f/2a0f5e67/ikea_restricted_substance_list.pdf

We did not get a bed there, because as far as I can tell they were doing the California flame retardant poo poo in them. Since then things have changed on that front, more or less people have figured out how to meet CA needs through materials construction; Ashley furniture's poo poo is all flame-retardant free and they specifically credit a great expose by the Chicago Tribune (https://media.apps.chicagotribune.com/flames/index.html) for making that decision. We have some Ashley poo poo, it's probably full of microplastics. We have nothing but CertAPur certified mattresses for us and the kids, they are probably also full of microplastics and god knows what else but there's a pretty hard limit to how much you can control. The dinner table we have is a perfectly nice mass produced 70s hardwood table with a leaf that I happened on as a freebie, and if we ever get another one it will be because we got a nicer used one with matching chairs, and moved the current one down to the basement to replace the not-really-furniture "art table" down there. (Current incarnation of this is a piece of plywood on top of a foosball table. THIS PREVENTS FOOSBALL).

Anyway, point is, I think Ikea sucks less than other purveyors of cheap furniture even if they're generally awful in terms of "just putting more poo poo into landfills/the ocean daily".

Nice, lasting furniture made out of wood isn't terrible and makes sense if you're not moving around much, and if you can get stuff you like used it's both affordable and probably the best thing all around. I agree with whoever said apartments/rentals should generally be furnished; the whole market of disposable furniture and goods for people early in their careers moving around a lot is dumb as gently caress*. We bought 8 bookcases, a bedframe, a fold-up table, a wardrobe and a loveseat/ottoman at Ikea between 2009 and 2013. The bedframe survived one move but not two, the wardrobe survived two moves but not three. We still have all of the rest of it, it's all still in use, and I don't plan on replacing any of it. 5 matching green tall bookcases downstairs, 3 white ones upstairs, folding table on the porch, loveseat became couch for kid's room. None of it, at present, shows any signs of looking like poo poo or being about to fall apart.

edit: our house has pine paneling as inside walls, and the 5 matching bookcases are a bright happy green shade. Some people would probably find them at odds with the general aesthetics of the house, to which I'd say "lol, lmao, gtfo".

* we have never become fancy people that don't just aggressively scavenge. The dinner table was a roadside pickup, when we were early in our career literally all our furniture was Buffalo roadside scavenge or Goodwill, and we still have two pieces of furniture I can instantly think of that were roadside scavenge from Buffalo. I had a '94 Sentra sedan at the time and often I would get my weed dealer buddy with a bigass 70s wagon to help me out

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 19:30 on Dec 28, 2021

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005
Nothing like living in a city with a large state university. Every June you can drive around student housing dumpsters/alleys mix and match beer soaked ikea parts and make something useful. Or throw things off the bridge into the river and skip the middleman.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Kicked Throat posted:

Nothing like living in a city with a large state university. Every June you can drive around student housing dumpsters/alleys mix and match beer soaked ikea parts and make something useful. Or throw things off the bridge into the river and skip the middleman.

yeah, this is reflected in my last edit, this was how we lived in Buffalo and actually some of the poo poo we landed with is real-wood stuff from the 70s that's still more solid than a new thing from Ikea.

My cousin worked as a caddy on LI for a while and he said the poo poo people threw away there was absolutely disgusting and he fantasized about renting a storage unit and a truck and starting an eBay business selling scavenged $600 electronics for $200. He never did it, but he did get the gently caress out of the US for points less fascist at the moment, so he's doing a'ight.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Harik posted:

This whole post is v.good and thank you

i wanted to discuss this part here, because i don't think it's a given. there was and is still a demand for durable goods, but there's no supply. it's a market failure, but an inevitable one in capitalism. people still pay top-dollar for things they perceive to be quality (apple products are an obvious one here) but are essentially the same as everything else on the market, and not any longer lasting than the rest. so i think there's more to it than just "people got poorer and there was a race to the bottom". there was a race to more profit at the top of the market as well, because the incessant screech of marketing drowns out all other feedback. so now there's no cost to burning a customer by selling them the same trash with a few cents of extra polish on top for 4x the cost.
fair enough. although even in apple's case is they were doing some real nasty planned obsolescence. for example, they were pushing out OS updates that would make old phones/laptops run slow as gently caress so people would upgrade. also most important parts like battery are specially hardwired in now meaning there's an expiration on most hardware. now there may indeed be some form-factor reasons why parts can't be replaceble, but i also don't agree that there was no other way. replaceble batteries is important because it's the one thing that's going to die based on use.

also they try to greatly trick people with "buyback" offers that oh yknow just give us old phone and we'll knock $100 off the price of a new iphone 15 se pro plus. i'll be honest, i don't actually know what places like apple do with old-product exchanges, but the intention is to keep it off the market.

so its not purely "make the shittiest product possible" but also they don't want to make best product possible and do have ways to make people pay to buy new ones (along with extreme advertising blitz about how cool the new photo filters are! wow!)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

here's a solid walnut end table for the person a few posts back

https://www.dwr.com/living-side-end-tables/edge-side-table/2196418.html?lang=en_US

or https://www.dwr.com/living-side-end-tables/cross-side-table/2527188.html?lang=en_US

here's one that has a veneer over plywood, some mdf and some solid wood

https://www.dwr.com/living-side-end-tables/arc-swivel-side-table/2530752.html?lang=en_US

here's an oak one https://www.dwr.com/living-side-end-tables/bella-side-table/2514640.html?lang=en_US

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

For serious look at offerup / facebook marketplace / craigslist. Reasonable chance for better and cheaper furniture.

Xaris posted:

i'll be honest, i don't actually know what places like apple do with old-product exchanges, but the intention is to keep it off the market.

At one point in time they were refurbishing them and giving them out to warranty claims. They super promise that they don't do that now after Australia fined them over it.

nomad2020 has issued a correction as of 22:00 on Dec 28, 2021

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
lol yes the thing that is wasteful is using cheap replaceable pressure board instead of chopping down old woods for furniture

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Trabisnikof posted:

the real answer is because we’re talking about a +2-3c from a recent baseline year to a specific year relatively soon in the future. Look at the X axis on that chart. The difference between now and 2050 barely could be indicated on a chart covering such a massive timescale.

You stick a steak in an oven straight from the fridge and check on it 30 seconds later it’s still going to be cold.

Yeah, on a graph that has 450,000 years in 50,000 year time periods on it when we artificially redline carbon off the graph in <200 years the natural temperature increase process is going to be similarly accelerated but a bit more gradual.

This delayed reaction gives us plenty of time to argue about it and pretend it isn't happening. As long as the blue line hasn't reached a new temperature threshold then we can claim we won't hit it. Even if the red line is in lmao territory.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

A Bakers Cousin posted:

lol yes the thing that is wasteful is using cheap replaceable pressure board instead of chopping down old woods for furniture

I'm buying all sorts of furniture to fight climate change, it's a great carbon sink

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

A Bakers Cousin posted:

what's neat is that US population being near stagnant, combined with people's mindless desire for "new" at all price points, means that there's a near bottomless supply of old woods furniture that can be acquired. Often very very cheaply, in a scratched etc conditon that's very easy to remediate. So easy, that it's quite practical to take this on as a cash positive side hobby, once you have an eye for what's being sold for $50 on local FB that will also sell for $150 on local FB with new paint and a better photo!

500 good dogs posted:

I'm buying all sorts of furniture to fight climate change, it's a great carbon sink

every time I need a new co2 tank for our kegerator, I buy an extra one, and just drop it down a 100' deep hole we dug. It's our own CCS program.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

was your goal to show why people buy ikea furniture

I get it, but the priciest end tables at Ikea are going to be like one-quarter this amount. If they fall apart every single move, that's still going to be a net gain for most people.

Used furniture vs. Ikea is a way more compelling argument, but lots of people either don't want to buy used or want really specific poo poo that's hard to get if you're buying from craigslist or wherever.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Bharatrocity posted:

The interesting thing to me about this graph is that something has clearly resulted in a 300ppm spike in carbon emissions within a 10k-20k time frame, every 100,000 years, for the past 450,000 years. Then each time it dips down again and the earth enters a deep glacial period. Each historical example has peaked more or less with emissions at the level of 1960, about a century and a half after industrialization began in earnest.

The dark takeaway is that the temperature side of the scale is not in lockstep with the carbon emissions, and we can extrapolate from the past spikes that the 400+ ppm we are currently sitting at will result in 10+ degrees of warming if it is sustained for any length of time without any drawdown mechanism kicking in.

:nice:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
the lizard anunnaki in the holographic moon were trying to warn us about nibiru's 100,000 year orbit

think sheeple