Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
Every time a new Fromsoft game comes out I go " THIS time I'll do my first playthrough completely blind" and eventually meet a funny little NPC I worry that I might accidentally send to their death and end up spoiling half the game trying to keep them safe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Tiger Millionaire posted:

Every time a new Fromsoft game comes out I go " THIS time I'll do my first playthrough completely blind" and eventually meet a funny little NPC I worry that I might accidentally send to their death and end up spoiling half the game trying to keep them safe

just do it, you can save them in NG+

(this is how my firelink shrine ended up almost completely empty in DS3. and i had pretty much no clue as to why)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm kinda glad i haven't gone out of my way to look up anything for the game and am just excited for it to come out

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Every time a new Fromsoft game comes out
Offline mode for NG or bust.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Mailer posted:

Yup, I've been told that before too and it's one of the reasons I thought I just missed something initially. Souls also had complete you-couldn't-guess-this bullshit, like Kalameet's telekinesis, but on the whole it never felt like I had to die until I memorized tells or anything. You get a lot of mileage out of a universal dodge button with a nice chunk of attached iframes.

i’d say in theory you could tell what’s what on your first try, but in practice you do have to memorize the moveset to play at a high level. like parry chains with offbeat timings are a thing; you’re not going to just get it right by being a savant, you’re gonna get hit until you memorize it.

otoh, just jumping/running away from stuff will get you through the entire game if you’re dedicated but don’t want to memorize/use the mechanics

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

:same:
I looked up how to save onion knight in ds3 cause I knew I hosed up somewhere along the way. DS3 npc questlines are very obtuse and easy to break imo

I did do sekiro blind and missed out on eavesdropping on the sculptor. Didnt realize i had to hug the wall to trigger it

Gonna do elden ring blind. I imagine there's going to be loads of npc quest lines. Sorry won't save you all. And by save i mean send to your tragic deaths for an item

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Sometimes the wiki is the only way to even figure out how to finish someone's questline. DS1 was especially bad about this, esp. saving Solaire or resurrecting Reah

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I don’t care how many spoilers I have to read, I WILL make sure Alexander gets a happy ending in all my playthrus

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

every pot bro is kill on sight for me, no exceptions

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

cool av posted:

every pot bro is kill on sight for me, no exceptions

I've got a bad feeling about these pot bros

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Sometimes the wiki is the only way to even figure out how to finish someone's questline. DS1 was especially bad about this, esp. saving Solaire

I think that the bad end to his questline works pretty well as an ending. The good ending really should be kind of hard to figure out on your own.

quote:

or resurrecting Reah

Heh.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
As someone with beat deafness*, the amount of fun I have in FromSoft games directly correlates to how much of an alternative there is to iframe dodging; Dark Souls 1 being my favourite, followed by 2, then 3 and finally Sekiro was a horrid slog that I never finished it and switched to watching a let's play of instead.

I've been mostly avoiding spoilers but the way From games have increasingly trended toward demanding a style of play completely based on rhythm and timing has me wondering if I can even play this one or if it's going to be another Sekiro. So my question to the network test people: How viable is it to tank with a shield or dodge to vacate the space to where an attack is going to land(as opposed to iframing through it)?

*The Wikipedia article only mentions music/dancing but it also applies to precise timing/rhythm mechanics in games. For example I can't consistently do high level tick manipulation in Runescape either.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
I’ve always played Dark Souls games by dodging; I’ve never used a shield in a single play through. It really surprised me when the game where you play as a ninja wielding a katana was so much more focused on blocking than on dodging - if you’re trying to dodge everything in Sekiro, you’re probably doing it wrong.

Edit: not that this necessarily applies to you because timing is still incredibly important, just a general observation.

MarsPearl
Feb 19, 2021

Asehujiko posted:

As someone with beat deafness*, the amount of fun I have in FromSoft games directly correlates to how much of an alternative there is to iframe dodging; Dark Souls 1 being my favourite, followed by 2, then 3 and finally Sekiro was a horrid slog that I never finished it and switched to watching a let's play of instead.

I've been mostly avoiding spoilers but the way From games have increasingly trended toward demanding a style of play completely based on rhythm and timing has me wondering if I can even play this one or if it's going to be another Sekiro. So my question to the network test people: How viable is it to tank with a shield or dodge to vacate the space to where an attack is going to land(as opposed to iframing through it)?

*The Wikipedia article only mentions music/dancing but it also applies to precise timing/rhythm mechanics in games. For example I can't consistently do high level tick manipulation in Runescape either.

Did you link a wikipedia article to support the idea that you have a completely unfounded medical condition based off one scientist's case study of one subject to excuse you being bad at a game that has nothing to do with music?

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Asehujiko posted:

How do you even get diagnosed with this

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

MarsPearl posted:

Did you link a wikipedia article to support the idea that you have a completely unfounded medical condition based off one scientist's case study of one subject to excuse you being bad at a game that has nothing to do with music?

do you really think someone would do that?

just go on the internet and tell lies?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

bows1 posted:

How do you even get diagnosed with this

Colour chart.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i haven't been able to get past any non-railroad parts of the souls series because i have face blindness which makes it impossible for me to remember which npcs and enemies are which

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

lol

lmao

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I have a terrible condition (morgellons) that inhibits me from executing touch of death combos and for that reason I give Sekiro 2 out of 10

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Asehujiko posted:

youre kidding, right

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

i got beat deafness. i beat da f out of my nutss

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Asehujiko posted:

Well regardless of the validity of your condition tanking hits with a shield in Elden Ring seems like it’ll be as viable as ever, especially with the new counter hit you can do after blocking.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

i cannot carry a tune. i can only hesitate.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
On my third playthrough of sekiro and I just figured out you can block and parry the attacks by the first giant miniboss by ashina gate. For some reason when I started I felt like I couldn't parry those because they're not sword attacks. Well. I feel stronger but also dumb.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Impermanent posted:

On my third playthrough of sekiro and I just figured out you can block and parry the attacks by the first giant miniboss by ashina gate. For some reason when I started I felt like I couldn't parry those because they're not sword attacks. Well. I feel stronger but also dumb.

You aren't weak or stupid. You are the problem from the start of the game. You discomfort god and the heavens themselves with your rancour. You can parry and block many things and you can punish many more.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

RatHat posted:

Well regardless of the validity of your condition tanking hits with a shield in Elden Ring seems like it’ll be as viable as ever, especially with the new counter hit you can do after blocking.

this sounds cool and i wanted to know this too. not because i have any condition but because im lazy and sometimes dont want to iframe through long boss combos for an entire fight.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

MarsPearl posted:

It's always been lumped in with ADHD and I linked that wikipedia page because it's the most concise description that isn't an entry halfway down a long rear end list of ADHD symptoms. If you disagree with the guy that thinks it should be a separate diagnosis because he didn't find enough people with no (apparent) ADHD then here's the same findings about people who do have it: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-11295-w.

It's also not music itself but the underlying mechanism of timing actions to a very slight delay, whether that's how long ago the last note was or attack telegraph into iframe timing. Like I said, I have the same issue with doing tick actions Runescape, a wildly different game in all aspects but with the same rhythm based timing. It's music that gets tested in studies because it's literally 100x older than videogames, a lot more people try to play instruments than games with similar timing mechanism(that aren't also literally music, like Guitar Hero) and bringing up the subject doesn't get immediately dismissed with a barrage of "git gud" like in videogames.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

yeah i can't ever beat the first guy in dark souls 3 the first try and it's because i have uhhh
handitis. can't hit the buttons that good

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

sadly I cannot enjoy Dark's Souls as killing skeletons is against my religion

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
i was born a poor gamer child

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Unless you have a medical degree to say that Asehujiko's condition doesn't exist how about y'all kindly shut up

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Sorry, you must have a doctors note saying “good at video games” to post in this thread

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

MechaSeinfeld posted:

i got beat deafness. i beat da f out of my nutss

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

skasion posted:

Sorry, you must have a doctors note saying “good at video games” to post in this thread

But I'm bad at them.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Groovelord Neato posted:

But I'm bad at them.

Wow. Mods?

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I dunno what's wrong with me but it makes me intensely good at souls-likes and intensely bad at every other type of thing

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Schneider Inside Her posted:

I dunno what's wrong with me but it makes me intensely good at souls-likes and intensely bad at every other type of thing

we need to perform a soulsectomy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

trigger word. im triggered now. mods?!?!