Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I watched No Time to Die last night and thought it was pretty good but man Malek’s character was such a nothing villain. Easily the weakest villain of the whole Craig run and probably one of the worst overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I watched No Time to Die last night and thought it was pretty good but man Malek’s character was such a nothing villain. Easily the weakest villain of the whole Craig run and probably one of the worst overall.

The problem is that he basically achieves his objectives by about 2/3rds of the way through the movie then it's not really clear what he's doing or why at the climax.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Watched The Spy Who Loved Me and it was insane cheesy fun. The oil tanker lair set and battle at the end was quite good.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

numberoneposter posted:

Watched The Spy Who Loved Me and it was insane cheesy fun. The oil tanker lair set and battle at the end was quite good.

It also has the best joke in the entire franchise:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
TSWLM is great, the apogee of 'Bond as family-friendly spectacular' that keeps piling ever-bigger and more outrageous setpieces on top of each other without ever losing the audience's complicity. (Moonraker tries to do the same thing, but pushes it too far.) In terms of sheer entertainment value and seeing every penny put on screen, I'd rank it the best of the series.

In hindsight it's amusing how Lewis Gilbert essentially directed the same story three times, though.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I think Roger Moore is the worst Bond and his films are the worst of the series.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
I think I need to give TSWLM another chance when I'm not binging a ton of bond movies. It's not made a memorable impression on me beyond "this is a perfectly above average bond movie by every metric" instead of being dumb or excellent or dumb and excellent in a memorable way like quite a bit of the series is

Gatts posted:

I think Roger Moore is the worst Bond and his films are the worst of the series.

Also this, his movies suffer from laborious pacing more than any of the rest of them

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Gatts posted:

They’re fun on their own, but the polar opposite of what I want out of Bond on film.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Roger Moore has the most bad Bond movies, but he also has more good Bond movies than Pierce Brosnan or Daniel Craig, who only got one good movie apiece.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Gatts posted:

Accurate

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Roger Moore has the most bad Bond movies, but he also has more good Bond movies than Pierce Brosnan or Daniel Craig, who only got one good movie apiece.

I'd definitely put Skyfall ahead of any two Moore movies put together, and that was "okay" but bumped up to "good" due to the best filming in the entire franchise. At the very most absolute BEST, Moore movies are "okay but flawed." Spy Who Loved Me is probably the overall best just due to lack of horrendously stupid things but most of the movie is still flat and dull. Tomorrow Never Dies is probably the level of the best Moore movie.

Part of that is he really is the worst Bond. Seems like a nice guy, but this chummy, jolly dude that just jokes around with everything except for like 3 instances and never ever looks to be in actual pain or danger or anger unless he's dressed like a clown is not who I think of as the character. Connery thought he could beat everything but was genuinely scared of the nicest tarantula on earth and the laser and would genuinely get mad quite a bit, Lazenby was goofier than Moore but ended up broken at the end and seemed like he was actually falling in love, Dalton was just awesome, and so on.

Darko fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 29, 2021

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I definitely rank Lazenby as the worst Bond. On Her Majesty’s Secret Service succeeds in spite of him, not because of him.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Lazenby’s best moment in the movie is at the end, when he very convincingly reacts to the death of his wife. Mostly, though, he just never has much screen presence.

The goofy plots didn’t really start with Moore. I’d argue they go at least as far back as Blofeld’s double secret probation volcano lair, if not some elements of Goldfinger. Moore happened to be Bond during the goofiest moments of the franchise.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Lazenby as vulnerable Bond was derided at the time but has turned around to become the most compelling aspect of the character when anyone wants to actually tell a story with Bond. Bond being legitimately afraid he's going to die is something that sticks out decades later.

Also he does a sick F5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swqR39aRynU&t=204s

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Roger Moore rules and gets held to an unfairly high standard.

Sean Connery spends 20 minutes of Goldfinger playing golf then the rest of the movie being captured while things happen around him. He's visibly bored and doing zero effort throughout You Only Live Twice. And Diamonds Are Forever is as bad if not worse than Moore's worst. Yet people all over think he's good! It's completely unfair to the charm and humor of Roger Moore.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Both You Only Live Twice and Diamonds are as goofy, or more, than anything from Moore's tenure. Moore's first two or three movies are actually more serious than either of those.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

things that stand out for me in TSWLM

-lots of eye candy (female spy, female henchwoman, jaws)
-the amphibious lotus chase where a definitely not a dummy goes off a cliff on a motorcycle
-jaws
-its probably got the best bond lair(s)
-the horrible fight scene in cairo, seriously dont sprain anything guys
-many good one liners with a few off color
-the dialogue between XXX and 007 is pretty funny
-the dr no call backs ("you've had your shot, now heres mine") and i think there was another
- i wouldnt be surprised to learn that bond is an expert skier, but the backflip is superfluous, the ski-base jump is pretty wild
-the battle with the russian, english, and american sailors trying to breach the villains control room is well executed

its moore and bond at his most over the top entertaining while reeling it in when needed. its definitely not boring, but for the same reasons its hard to pick as a favorite. that being said its perfect for moore.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

as ive been watching my bond movies in sort of a back and forth around eras my next two are going to be Thunderball and Skyfall. Two of the best IMO.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

numberoneposter posted:

as ive been watching my bond movies in sort of a back and forth around eras my next two are going to be Thunderball and Skyfall. Two of the best IMO.

Thunderfall and Skyball

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I always love how people get upset at Moore for having silly movies in a series that literally opens with an assassination set to three blind mice. It has always been stupid and all the better for it.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Both You Only Live Twice and Diamonds are as goofy, or more, than anything from Moore's tenure. Moore's first two or three movies are actually more serious than either of those.
Apart from the goofy opening with "Blofeld" (which still has Moore being serious at the grave) and the ending with Thatcher and the parrot, For Your Eyes Only is the closest the series has been to a straight spy thriller since From Russia With Love. As a kid I thought "this is boring", now I rate it as one of the best. Snappy direction from John Glen too.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

FoolyCharged posted:

I always love how people get upset at Moore for having silly movies in a series that literally opens with an assassination set to three blind mice. It has always been stupid and all the better for it.

There's a fine line between "silly" and "clownish" and Moore lives on the wrong side of that line

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

iajanus posted:

There's a fine line between "silly" and "clownish" and Moore lives on the wrong side of that line

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

one thing you cant deny about Sir Roger Moore is that he is very English

i still have to rewatch his others but im already putting Golden Gun as my favorite Moore, even though the movie itself never really gets to a boil

it just simmers to a conclusion

edit: i also have to notice that monty python's quest for the holy grail came out in in 1975. coinciding in a lot of the "sillier" bonds films coming afterward.

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Dec 29, 2021

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Yes that was what I was hinting at ;)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Man With The Golden Gun feels like it has all the ingredients for something good but squandered it. It could be legendary if it was more serious or more silly. Or both.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Payndz posted:

Apart from the goofy opening with "Blofeld" (which still has Moore being serious at the grave) and the ending with Thatcher and the parrot, For Your Eyes Only is the closest the series has been to a straight spy thriller since From Russia With Love. As a kid I thought "this is boring", now I rate it as one of the best. Snappy direction from John Glen too.

Yes it is. Someone realized they went too far with Moonraker and made one of the most serious movies they've done since - I'd say - OHMSS. Except for being a bit unmemorable it's a great movie (probably the last of the good Moore Bond films).

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Man With The Golden Gun feels like it has all the ingredients for something good but squandered it. It could be legendary if it was more serious or more silly. Or both.
The basic idea, of Bond having a dark-mirror private sector rival who's as deadly as he is, would be ideal for a remake.

Huh, maybe that's how Eon are going to have James Bond return: by doing remakes of the less-good movies. Or just use the few remaining Fleming titles that aren't taken yet. Time for Risico* and 007 In New York to shine!

(*Which they already plundered for FYEO.)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Man With the Golden Gun has too much lame poo poo to be truly great but Christopher Lee as Scaramanga is absolutely one of the best Bond Villains. Same thing happened with Live and Let Die/Yaphet Kotto, although at least Golden Gun is less extremely racist as far as I remember.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I'd also say that Scaramanga's private island lair is one of the coolest hideouts in Bond history, along with Stromberg's ocean city.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I'd also say that Scaramanga's private island lair is one of the coolest hideouts in Bond history, along with Stromberg's ocean city.

For sure. I love Scaramanga’s version of the smugly-lord-over-Bond-at-dinner scene, best part of the movie.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

This is a legitimately thrilling scene! Yes the costume is silly but when you watch it, it's not "Roger Moore as a bumbling clown", it's a great ticking clock on a bomb setup.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

The Man Who Loved Me

The Spy With The Golden Gun

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

For sure. I love Scaramanga’s version of the smugly-lord-over-Bond-at-dinner scene, best part of the movie.

The scene where Scaramanga goes from writing down the name of a wine Bond recommends to threatening him with the golden gun is a great moment. I've always loved the detail of the golden gun being made of everyday components that Scaramanga could carry around without arousing suspicion.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

You Only Live Never Again

Never Say Octopu**sy

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Should do a crossover buddy cop thing with Bond and Mission Impossible then throw Matt Damon in it as a spice.

Tom Cruise and Daniel Craig spying it up and trying to rescue/catch a high profile target then suddenly Matt Damon out of nowhere.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The problem is Scaramanga does a whole lot of nothing for the movie. He should be hunting Bond the entire film.

Nekros from Living Daylights (who is really a slight update of Red Grant) is what he should have been. Obviously just as skilled, proves his worth by killing multiple MI agents, then walking straight into MI6 and taking a prisoner, carries his own theme song around; then have a giant hunt at the end that is way more Most Dangerous Game than his carnival funhouse thing.

I mean, he proved his worth by...killing a random gangster at the beginning that was obviously an idiot. Ugh.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
I remember when Roger Moore played up the goofy Bond era when he appeared in Cannonball Run, which ends with him getting ejected from his Aston Martin into the harbor.

Good times.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I loved Scaramanga's funhouse for the sheer WTFery of it, and I also loved Bond's way of dealing with it: refuse to play and break into the 'backstage' area to turn the tables.

But yeah, the whole third act of a remake could be a Bond take on The Most Dangerous Game, gradually reducing the combat arena until a final face-off in the funhouse. Hell, you could even add a trendy Battle Royale game theme by having Remake Nick-Nack activate lethal barriers to force Bond and Scaramanga together.

Eon, fire Purvis and Wade and hire me, I've got Final Draft and could knock out a script for you in no time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Darko posted:

The problem is Scaramanga does a whole lot of nothing for the movie. He should be hunting Bond the entire film.

I agree with what you say, except this part. I actually think it's interesting that Scaramanga and Bond crossed paths mostly due to machinations unrelated to his plan: Ms Anders wanted out, and devised a plan to do it since she stood no chance of eliminating him herself. She massively puts Bond's live in danger by doing so, to the point that M asks if Bond wants to resign and basically go into hiding. Once Scaramanga realizes what's up, he eliminates her and is prepared to just let bygones be bygones, using Bond as a prop in his egotistical bloviating. That is some serious Goldfinger energy and I like it.