Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/1475904739632111621?s=20

Oh no, nobody wants that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

CommieGIR posted:

As a Nuclear Guy I'm....okay with this?

You're a hulk?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

bengy81 posted:

I don't think most people could afford N95s in the US.

I'm scared that the answer is :capitalism:, because America, but what does, like, a ten-pack of N95s cost over there these days?

/edit:
What does a pack/2-pack of antigen tests cost?

piL posted:

True, but if a high profile streamer were to surround one of the ablest words you're thinking of with "dumb" and "bitch", and a bunch of people reported it, I bet you'd see movement in that direction too. I think most people using ableist language or veiled slurs tend to inject some ambiguity

That's the Hasan Piker temp ban; I can't find the Ian Kochinski clip to tell if the derogatory intent was that clear.

Edit: it probably doesn't even have to be a slur; just surrounding any of the protected characteristics words with dumb and bitch is probably risky maneuver if Twitch is your primary revenue stream.

You've kinda lost me here a bit, I think.
I'm not arguing that some streaming company isn't enforcing their TOS to the letter (because lol if any social media / new media company tries to pretend their moderation isn't completely arbitrary depending on current public perception), I'm saying that Twitch caving to white people screaming "THIS IS ANTI WHITE RACISM" is dumb as hell.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I'm scared that the answer is :capitalism:, because America, but what does, like, a ten-pack of N95s cost over there these days?

/edit:
What does a pack/2-pack of antigen tests cost?

I get all my masks through work, so I just order them (for free) as needed, so I had to check, not sure if it's the same in brick and mortar retail, but on amazon, kn95 masks start at about $1usd a mask for Chinese no-name ones, while 3M branded ones are a couple bucks a pop.
I'm pretty sure the state I live in will provide at home tests for free, but if you are buying them they are roughly $20 USD for a 2 pack, not sure what the supply looks like though, I know in Sept./Oct. it was basically impossible to find tests.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

bengy81 posted:

I get all my masks through work, so I just order them (for free) as needed, so I had to check, not sure if it's the same in brick and mortar retail, but on amazon, kn95 masks start at about $1usd a mask for Chinese no-name ones, while 3M branded ones are a couple bucks a pop.
I'm pretty sure the state I live in will provide at home tests for free, but if you are buying them they are roughly $20 USD for a 2 pack, not sure what the supply looks like though, I know in Sept./Oct. it was basically impossible to find tests.

I got a couple packs a couple weeks ago because I planned ahead for seeing my family and my wife's family over the holidays and they were hard to find. My sister didn't think ahead that far and couldn't find them at all about a week ago so she and her family had to find a clinic appointment, which are also near impossible to get.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

“Yeah, I thought it was pretty weird that the Mayor gave everyone in the office a tomahawk and told them to bring it to the ‘team building canoeing trip’ but whatever.”

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

bengy81 posted:

I'm kinda relieved that mask prices seem "somewhat reasonable", but I'm absolutely floored by the cost of antigen tests, and suddenly understand the governmental rapid-test-kit giveaway thing making the news.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

3M N95 Auras are about $2 a mask right now in 10x and 20x packs.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B095FJ36H2/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_96FQGSWQ6A52Z1GHQZ6N?psc=1

2-pack at-home antigen tests were $28 a pop when I picked some up at the local pharmacy a few days ago, although I've seen them down around $15 before Delta and Omicron took off. Georgia's got stacks of them available even though they're almost impossible to find in the Northeast right now.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Terrifying Effigies posted:

3M N95 Auras are about $2 a mask right now in 10x and 20x packs.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B095FJ36H2/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_96FQGSWQ6A52Z1GHQZ6N?psc=1

2-pack at-home antigen tests were $28 a pop when I picked some up at the local pharmacy a few days ago, although I've seen them down around $15 before Delta and Omicron took off. Georgia's got stacks of them available even though they're almost impossible to find in the Northeast right now.

In Rhode Island most towns have a hard time finding any tests but my little part of the state is Trump country. When I went in there for tests before Christmas there was a line and chatting with the people around me not a single one was from town, they were coming from 20 to 30 miles away to buy tests at our pharmacy because no one around here bothered to get any.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Israel blew up the port of Latakia apparently.

https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1475905385991184392?s=19

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I'm kinda relieved that mask prices seem "somewhat reasonable", but I'm absolutely floored by the cost of antigen tests, and suddenly understand the governmental rapid-test-kit giveaway thing making the news.

The FDA hosed up and reverted to their hyper-slow selves, so up until recently, the European Market had access to like 8+ buyable tests and the US only had 1-2. So when the European governments came in and said YES I WOULD LIKE ELEVENTY BILLION, they got very good prices, then shoved those tests in your local stores for a heavily subsidized $2-3 while the US was still $25 for two.

In the late summer, the Biden folks started subsidizing the at-home tests, knocking them down to about $14 for two. On the 12th, I bought three BinaxNow boxes (six tests) from WalMart for $42. The problem now is that you can't buy ANYTHING for ANY price because the FDA is only loving now approving all of the other test manufacturers - Abbott had a near-monopoly for a long while and can't keep up with the rapid demand, because they're idiots and fired people / destroyed tests over the summer.

Theoretically, in-pharmacy / mass testing sites are supposed to be free, fully paid for by the feds or the insurance companies. I still read stories of mystery $200 testing bills that people have to fight because merica gonna merica.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 28, 2021

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Reimbursing testing fees through your insurance for testing of a global pandemic is so god drat American it hurts.

No insurance? Get hosed. Can't afford to dump money in a test and hold the cost until insurance decides they need to give away money? Get hosed. Insurance company spins up eternal bullshit of paper work, "losing" what you send them, and forcing you to drat near take them to court so you never get that money from them? Get hosed.

What else are we going to do, just hand out the tests like some kind of functional government not beholden to corporate lobbyists over your continued existence? Get hosed.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Does this mean they're going to commit war crimes and desecrate bodies, and murder their peers?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Duzzy Funlop posted:

$1-2 each dependent on how tightly vetted a supply chain you want

the okayish FFP2 ones I get from a consistent and trusted amazon seller, $16.99/10

3M 8210s from an actual supply house, 27.87/20

wait poo poo I need to switch brands

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 28, 2021

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

poo poo, as low as $17/20 with 200+ volume discount

I guess their production finally caught up with demand those were loving unobtanium last time I looked

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

group buy?

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-17009/Disposable-Masks/3M-8200-N95-Industrial-Respirator

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/mark-milley-execution-noah-malgeri-b1983081.html?amp

At least they’re actively trying to alienate the military while starting a civil war

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

bird food bathtub posted:

Reimbursing testing fees through your insurance for testing of a global pandemic is so god drat American it hurts.

No insurance? Get hosed. Can't afford to dump money in a test and hold the cost until insurance decides they need to give away money? Get hosed. Insurance company spins up eternal bullshit of paper work, "losing" what you send them, and forcing you to drat near take them to court so you never get that money from them? Get hosed.

What else are we going to do, just hand out the tests like some kind of functional government not beholden to corporate lobbyists over your continued existence? Get hosed.

Not quite - the COVID-site testing is two track. If you don't have insurance, the pharmacies don't charge you (or aren't supposed to) until the pharmacies/sites decide to jerk you around. If you do have insurance, it's "covered" until they decide to jerk you around.

And yes, the Biden plan of "Insurers will cover the tests you buy" is dumb as hell, though it's essentially throwing them into the FSA/HSA structures. Supposedly the huge total the feds are buying in January will be of the *purely* free variety, but unknown how we'll get/request thing.

But right on time:

https://twitter.com/laurenpeikoff/status/1475943890196832269

quote:

“Early data suggests that antigen tests do detect the Omicron variant but may have reduced sensitivity,” the FDA said on Tuesday.
-----

FDA reemphasized its recommendation that the public “closely follow the tests’ instructions,” adding that if people test negative on an antigen test but have symptoms of Covid-19 or have a “high likelihood of infection due to exposure,” they should seek out a molecular test to confirm the result.

“Although the data is preliminary, the FDA believes it is important to share with the public,” FDA spokesperson Stephanie Caccomo told POLITICO. “We will continue to keep the public informed if additional information comes to light.”

The new NIH data comes less than a week after a different NIH study of heat-inactivated Omicron samples found antigen tests were able to detect the Omicron “with similar performance” to other variants.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

bengy81 posted:

So I just skimmed the text and initially thought you said $1 used a mask.

Took me a minute before my head went "waaaaait a minute, America isn't THAT bad yet, is it?"

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

SerthVarnee posted:

So I just skimmed the text and initially thought you said $1 used a mask.

Took me a minute before my head went "waaaaait a minute, America isn't THAT bad yet, is it?"

I was doing this in hospitals last year for N95s. :/

bengy81
May 8, 2010

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I was doing this in hospitals last year for N95s. :/

I definitely helped some of my accounts set up sterilization/reuse protocols for N95s.
It's funny now though, I don't do N95s at work, because most of my accounts require me to change into a fresh mask (they provide) and they are always surgical masks.

N95s almost seem pointless in the US at least. The folks most at risk of spreading COVID already decided they don't need to wear masks, and the folks that do wear masks are also more likely to take other precautions, including quarantine and social distancing.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
agh, I'm pretty sure I have covid as a fully boosted Moderna Man. My little cousin's basketball team tested positive and we were spending some time together where he was coughing. Fast foward to today and we had confirmation that he has covid and I'm sick. Nothing too serious - a terrible sore throat with some minor weakness and a very minor and intermittent wet cough. 100.1 degree fever.

Spent all day sleeping and am feeling a little bit better. Gonna go through and cancel my flight / new years plans though :(

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

bengy81 posted:

N95s almost seem pointless in the US at least. The folks most at risk of spreading COVID already decided they don't need to wear masks, and the folks that do wear masks are also more likely to take other precautions, including quarantine and social distancing.

By that rationale they're pointless everywhere. Sometimes you end up on an airplane or in an office with a red hat so it helps there. Also helpful if you have it and don't know it yet or are near someone who doesn't know it yet.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm not one of the work from home royalty so I wear KN95s at the office and I've been working on telling my colleagues that KN95s/94s protect you better than cloth masks and feel more comfortable to boot

It's crazy how many well-meaning people are still utterly convinced by the "masks aren't for protecting yourself" line those assholes kept pushing early last year

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Bored As gently caress posted:

Does this mean they're going to commit war crimes and desecrate bodies, and murder their peers?

You can just be a regular SEAL team and do that. You need to go full Robert O’Neill to be up to Seal Team 6 standards.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/NFL345/status/1475981872001867781

https://twitter.com/jonmachota/status/1475985730786799618

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
His ghost will shuffle on to sell EA football games until the end of time.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I hope every new Madden game starts with an unskippable cutscene tribute to Madden

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

His ghost will shuffle on to sell EA football games until the end of time.

Just like Tom Clancey

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I can't even conjure up Frank Caliendos impression of Madden.

Dudes probably going to be lieing in state.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Eej posted:

I hope every new Madden game starts with an unskippable cutscene tribute to Madden

You can only skip by pressing F

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

This is loving perfect. Madden and Summerall were the loving BEST.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Not just Madden today

https://mobile.twitter.com/RalstonReports/status/1475994714008522753

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Harry Reid also died but like who gives a poo poo

e: haha the airport in vegas was renamed after him 2 weeks ago MODS KNEW

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Dec 29, 2021

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

gently caress Harry Reid.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Harry Reid, Nevada senator/UFO enthusiast.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Bury him in Yucca Mountain.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

Bury him in Yucca Mountain.

Agree

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

He’s already got the driving on the sidewalk thing down pat.

shame on an IGA posted:

poo poo, as low as $17/20 with 200+ volume discount

I guess their production finally caught up with demand those were loving unobtanium last time I looked

3M VFlex 9105 are sixty-three cents each at Digikey if you buy at least fifty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I'm gonna need a link to this as I need one and the variants on Etsy are inferior.