Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Herstory Begins Now posted:

look these 24,000 n95s i bought to resell to shutin goons aren't going to sell themselves

Got a box of 20 Aura 9200D+ waiting for pickup myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

My partner's sister got covid a 3rd time. Completely asymptomatic, only knew cos she has to test regularly for work

Sequence was

Covid (wildtype)
Covid (prob delta)
Vaccinated twice (better late than never)
Covid (probs omicron)

First time was severe, she was bedridden for 3 weeks and had heart issues afterwards for a bit (that cleared up when she got pregnant), second time was like a heavy cold, third time completely asymptomatic (unsurprisingly as her immune system at that point was probably supercharged)

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
https://twitter.com/ahandvanish/status/1343293649778585603

New three percenter just dropped.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Covok posted:

So, January 7th the conmen of the Supreme Court will more than likely rule the vaccine mandate unconstitutional.

This very supreme court has supported state level vaccine mandates, so it's not as clear cut as your one line assertion of fact suggests.

An emergency special session isn't an ideal sign when they could have just said "lol no", but they will also be hearing a hospital vaccine mandate case. I should probably see what my preferred top legal minds think.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Complaining about thread rivalries as you're complaining about the other thread.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Judakel posted:

Complaining about thread rivalries as you're complaining about the other thread.

Like evading thread rules by posting about tweets from the other thread without posting them directly is really obvious.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

GreyjoyBastard posted:

This very supreme court has supported state level vaccine mandates, so it's not as clear cut as your one line assertion of fact suggests.

An emergency special session isn't an ideal sign when they could have just said "lol no", but they will also be hearing a hospital vaccine mandate case. I should probably see what my preferred top legal minds think.

Are they looking at the OSHA one, or the Federal Contractors one?

I'm guessing that the Federal Government is allowed to mandate pretty much whatever they want for their contractors, but I could very easily be wrong there.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Zarin posted:

Are they looking at the OSHA one, or the Federal Contractors one?

I'm guessing that the Federal Government is allowed to mandate pretty much whatever they want for their contractors, but I could very easily be wrong there.

The big one's OSHA.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

GreyjoyBastard posted:

The big one's OSHA.

What happens if OSHA just outright announces 'the Supreme Court has made their decision now let them enforce it' and just keeps on keepin' on?

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Oracle posted:

What happens if OSHA just outright announces 'the Supreme Court has made their decision now let them enforce it' and just keeps on keepin' on?

Great question! And one that hangs over every Supreme Court justice when deciding cases. They have no army, they barely have a police force. If they don't act such that everyone voluntarily decides to defer to them, things will get ugly and complicated!

There's no danger of OSHA ignoring the Supreme Court this time though. If Biden's executive branch wants to play brinksmanship, they'll do it by adjusting the mandate or using other tools. Too much would unravel if they keep hammering the same conduct against a reasonably decided contrary Supreme Court verdict.

Personally I wouldn't expect this verdict to be especially political. OSHA has enumerated powers and this mandate will fit (in part) or it won't (in part). That analysis is unlikely to be a classic red/blue/left/right question.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Oracle posted:

At the present moment? OSHA leadership replaced with people who would honor the decision probably. In theory there could be some Jeffersonian defiance but toward good this time, but in practice there's zero chance the admin would back them in their defiance

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Epic High Five posted:

At the present moment? OSHA leadership replaced with people who would honor the decision probably. In theory there could be some Jeffersonian defiance but toward good this time, but in practice there's zero chance the admin would back them in their defiance

I think the administration will back plenty of defiance (it is in their direct interest to have vaccination percentages as high as possible, after all), but that backing will take the form of tortured legal analyses to explain why continuing to do (more or less) what they’ve been doing isn’t violating the SCOTUS’s orders, rather than saying “neener neener, can’t stop us.” The end result is similar.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

So, a preprint, funded by patients who self selected, who self reported their symptoms, everything from shrinking penis to complete blindness in a 205 symptom gumbo. How is anyone supposed to take this seriously? By the way the top three are 1. I'm tired 2. I get tired after exerting myself (because most people don't get tired after exertion I guess) 3. I think my brain doesn't work as well as it used to.

I also noticed that 75% of those reporting symptoms never even received a covid diagnosis! It looks to me a lot like some people decided that, after some internet research, their vague symptoms are not just due to stress of living in the modern world and aging but are actually manifestations of a rare and mysterious illness that can never be proved or disproved. The respondents are 80% women and 60% over the age of 40 which is exactly how other vague illnesses like chronic lyme and cfs present. This just feels like people who want a label for why they feel like poo poo, which is understandable, but I'm less convinced than ever that long covid exists in the way they say it does. I mean 205 symptoms, is there anything it can't do?

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

CmdrRiker posted:

So, we've been taking health advice from the CDC for the past 2 years. And now they change their stance and it is hard for me to take CDC criticism seriously when it is just a bunch of "CDC is sucking capitalism's dick, gently caress the CDC." Like, are there any papers and stuff to show that the 5 days if asymptomatic thing is bad?

I think it is on the CDC to prove the opposite, given that the original quarantine time suggested was 10 days based on “the science”. Has anyone posted / found the science the CDC based this reduction in quarantine guidance on?

This is the party that said they would trust the science so certainly there would have been an objective peer reviewed to why folks are able to go back to work spreading an airborne disease.

Or is it that Biden now has taken the same positions Trump had last year (which posters here said was evil and culpable)?

Oracle posted:

The Supreme Court is illegitimate so this shouldn’t even be up for debate. Unfortunately there are a lot of folks more interested in decorum that doing what is right.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Magic Underwear posted:

So, a preprint, funded by patients who self selected, who self reported their symptoms, everything from shrinking penis to complete blindness in a 205 symptom gumbo. How is anyone supposed to take this seriously? By the way the top three are 1. I'm tired 2. I get tired after exerting myself (because most people don't get tired after exertion I guess) 3. I think my brain doesn't work as well as it used to.

I also noticed that 75% of those reporting symptoms never even received a covid diagnosis! It looks to me a lot like some people decided that, after some internet research, their vague symptoms are not just due to stress of living in the modern world and aging but are actually manifestations of a rare and mysterious illness that can never be proved or disproved. The respondents are 80% women and 60% over the age of 40 which is exactly how other vague illnesses like chronic lyme and cfs present. This just feels like people who want a label for why they feel like poo poo, which is understandable, but I'm less convinced than ever that long covid exists in the way they say it does. I mean 205 symptoms, is there anything it can't do?

Yeah exactly, it’s self evidently trash, so instead of posting it in the thread so anyone can know what is being referenced people are just seeing that stuff it in the other thread than reference what they are talking about indirectly in this one.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I want to know the mechanism for covid shrinking your penis

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Levitate posted:

I want to know the mechanism for covid shrinking your penis

COVID annihilates blood things and the peener is basically 99% bloodthings by volume

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Epic High Five posted:

COVID annihilates blood things and the peener is basically 99% bloodthings by volume

but the vaccine makes your testicles swell so it seems we have proof that the vaccines work because they do the opposite of covid

e: look for my preprint...

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
The plural of anecdote is not data

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Levitate posted:

but the vaccine makes your testicles swell so it seems we have proof that the vaccines work because they do the opposite of covid

It's from the excess pee that accumulates

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Levitate posted:

alas, it is not a medical fact that an organ doubling in size also doubles its efficiency, as sensible that sort of thing appears on the face of it

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
From this point on anytime I see one of those idiots sporting a III% shirt or bumper sticker or whatever I'm just going to assume that they're signaling that they have tiny covid dick.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Re: self-isolation for 10 days, was that ever being enforced in the US in the first place? I'm going to assume no?

Anyway, this is nice: "South Africa jubilant as Omicron wave subsides rapidly with minimal Covid hospital admissions and Delta killed off: ‘Expect the same in other countries’"

https://www.cityam.com/south-africa...lta-killed-off/

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

It was never being physically enforced, but it was the guidelines that many people and businesses followed. Just like with masking, nobody was out there physically enforcing it, but as soon as the CDC came out with their reckless and irresponsible guidance, pretty much every state and business dropped masking. It took many months and it was deep into the Delta wave before it slowly came back in some places.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Rust Martialis posted:

The plural of anecdote is not data

Best quote from the Facebook survey based “study”:

Our analysis confirms prior studies’ results which show that, with the exception of change to smell and taste, symptoms are not significantly different between those who test positive for SARS-CoV-2 and those who test negative but who otherwise show strongly suggestive symptoms [5,36]. The reason for this is not known

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
Yeah, I have distinct recollections of Beshear here in Kentucky saying he'd lift mask/indoor seating mandates once we had reached ~70% with at least one shot, which the state government was projecting back in April or so would only take five weeks. Once the CDC dropped the mask guidance, we went full-on open 'er up and never really looked back. Places that are shutting down/reducing indoor occupancy now are only doing so voluntarily.

I think we hit that 70% mark in late November or early December. loving joke.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Magic Underwear posted:

It's actually remarkably similar to the Wakefield study in some respects; self-selection in an undiagnosed group.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I was thinking of writing a long "here is what I went through living in the USA then going to Australia during COVID" post. I can go into the details of what I saw family on each side going through & how they talked about covid, the process of getting to Australia and getting through quarantines, and finally what I'm now witnessing happen in New South Wales, all from a "self-imposed 18 month lockdown goon" perspective. Should I bother or would that be too tl;dr e/n for the D&D thread?

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ranter posted:

I was thinking of writing a long "here is what I went through living in the USA then going to Australia during COVID" post. I can go into the details of what I saw family on each side going through & how they talked about covid, the process of getting to Australia and getting through quarantines, and finally what I'm now witnessing happen in New South Wales, all from a "self-imposed 18 month lockdown goon" perspective. Should I bother or would that be too tl;dr e/n for the D&D thread?

:justpost:

I'm legit interested!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Ranter posted:

Seconding :justpost:

Love to get slightly different perspectives in here, and a little comparing/contrasting would be nice to read from someone with multiple, yeah.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

CmdrRiker posted:

How much of an outlier is it for someone to test positive for covid after 5 days? How likely is it for an asymptomatic person to spread covid when they are masking up? Why didn't the the CDC post studies and evidence backing their revised decision? Is this just a compromise to get people to actually do something versus nothing?

Sample size of 1: I got symptoms of covid Jan 8-9 2021. I tested positive a few times until Jan 26 and tested negative Jan 28. We were testing to see when we could go pick up our healthy son without risking him since I still had symptoms for weeks.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Watching the Servpro First Responders Bowl, with firemen, paramedics and all this other stuff here with no masks in the crowd or the sidelines is triggering my jokerficiation instincts.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Oracle posted:

Theoretically lower courts nail the offending officials with contempt of court until they or their acting replacements decide they would like to not be in federal jail. That was the potential remedy when Trump's initial muslim ban was slapped down and CBP and ICE backed down rather than directly defy the judiciary.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

like I specifically remember people deeply worried that CBP would ignore the courts because they don't have guns and/or the CBP would win the game of chicken

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Ranter posted:

I would for sure be interested in this

slorb
May 14, 2002

CmdrRiker posted:

So, we've been taking health advice from the CDC for the past 2 years. And now they change their stance and it is hard for me to take CDC criticism seriously when it is just a bunch of "CDC is sucking capitalism's dick, gently caress the CDC." Like, are there any papers and stuff to show that the 5 days if asymptomatic thing is bad?

I think what probably happened is the political appointees at the CDC had been planning to reduce the isolation period for vaccinated people during this winter's wave for months. They wanted to please large employers and keep the economy going and based on the studies showing a faster drop in viral load in vaccinated cases it didn't seem like a huge risk.

Then Omicron turned up and rendered the viral load studies against Alpha and Delta irrelevant but if anything posed an even greater threat to large employers and the economy.

Organisational inertia and status quo bias had them keep to their original decision and reduce isolation periods anyway. In a weak attempt to justify it to the public they stripped the "has to be vaccinated" part and the link to the viral load studies out of the advice and replaced it with some hand wavy nonsense like "Given what we currently know about COVID-19 and the Omicron variant".

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CmdrRiker posted:

The criticism is in no way new, and if you've been following health advice from the CDC for two years then you've believed such incredible bangers as "covid isn't airborn" and "it's safe to take your masks off in the middle of a pandemic which is in no way controlled". People in charge of making these decisions have literally outright said that the decision was not made for public health reasons but was made because they want people back to work sooner. They said it in their own words, without it being taken out of context in any way, shape, or form. So I really don't know where you're getting this idea that criticism of this decision is unwarranted or is simply generic "gently caress capitalism" poo poo because it isn't. This is literally hearing the CDC say "we are making decisions about public health based on what an airline CEO wanted, so that they can make more money" and responding "wow that's hosed up, you shouldn't do that."

They also clearly weren't just talking about asymptomatic cases. They also said that if your symptoms are waning, you can go back to work. That's not asymptomatic and it's utterly deranged.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
forgive me if this was already discussed in the thread

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/12/28/cdc-drops-omicron-prevalence-estimate-526210

quote:

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention significantly revised its model of the breakdown of Covid-19 variants on Tuesday, estimating the Omicron strain accounted for about 58.6 percent of U.S. cases as of Dec. 25.

The public health agency’s previous estimate that the rapidly spreading variant accounted for 73.2 percent of cases nationwide on Dec. 18 is now revised down to 22.5 percent — a significant drop that falls outside the agency's earlier 95 percent prediction interval, or likely range where future analysis will fall, of 34 to 94.9 percent of all cases.
[...]
The CDC’s revised Dec. 25 model includes a narrower confidence range of Omicron's prevalence: 41.5 to 74 percent. The agency’s current model suggests that the Delta variant still represents 41.1 percent of U.S. infections. CDC updates the model weekly.

“Setting aside the question of how the initial estimate was so inaccurate, if CDC’s new estimate of Omicron prevalence is precise then it suggests that a good portion of the current hospitalizations we’re seeing from Covid may still be driven by Delta infections,” former FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb tweeted Tuesday.

if this can be taken at face value, i'd say this calls the CDC's revised guidance into question in two ways. First, if a significant amount of the caseload is "just" plain old delta, then the shortened isolation period threatens to vastly increase the spread of delta. Secondly, the degree to which the CDC was off in its estimates of omicron's spread seems to validate the concerns that their revision was too hasty in the first place (though I will admit this concern is far more oblique than the first)

i'll fully cop to my preexisting bias being that the CDC is being driven by economic concerns, rather than public health concerns, so maybe my interpretation is too harsh.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I found out an hour ago that my best friend has been hospitalized due to covid. Her boss fully bought into the "omicron is mild" stuff, and made her come to work because she was initially just sneezing and had a headache. Her situation deteriorated very quickly after that apparently, and by the time she got home she was feeling short of breath and they rusher her to the hospital. Her mom said she got her booster a few days ago, but I guess it hadn't kicked in yet.

poo poo is hosed. God drat this pandemic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Ranter posted:

+1 to wanting this

Slow News Day posted:

I found out an hour ago that my best friend has been hospitalized due to covid. Her boss fully bought into the "omicron is mild" stuff, and made her come to work because she was initially just sneezing and had a headache. Her situation deteriorated very quickly after that apparently, and by the time she got home she was feeling short of breath and they rusher her to the hospital. Her mom said she got her booster a few days ago, but I guess it hadn't kicked in yet.

poo poo is hosed. God drat this pandemic.

Goddamn that sucks, hopefully she recovers swiftly