Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Just started Zomboid after playing around with sandbox settings for a bit. Moved all the food and books from the spawn to a nearby two story. Cleared everything around it, threw curtains on all the windows and did a bit of organizing.

Time to venture out and probably get bit by the next zombie I see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3DULZ7KpJQ

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Dealing with mods on a dedicated server is pretty awful in Zomboid. I can't tell a mod to not update and with a dozen mods it feels like at least one updates every day and to get it to update requires multiple bouncing the server and deleting files while each user sometimes has to fiddle with their own files for the updates to take. I've never had mods be such a bother, but OTOH some of these feel hard to give up

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
With 7DTD I've basically just been going through the quests after finding a slightly less ramshackle house to put a bed in. Is this going to murder me when I reach day 7? I could potentially build a base before it arrives.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Redundant posted:

With 7DTD I've basically just been going through the quests after finding a slightly less ramshackle house to put a bed in. Is this going to murder me when I reach day 7? I could potentially build a base before it arrives.
Scavenger playstyle is viable. You just need to pick a sturdy house and spend a day or two to seal it up and fill it with traps. You would need preferbly underground compound/military/prebuild fort much later for new zombie that easily break through non-concrete.

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

Redundant posted:

As a horrible Zomboid scrub I think my biggest gripe with the game is an inability to save scum. My last attempt was going so well until I hopped a fence and got tripped and mauled by hidden zombies. I quit out and that character is almost certainly dead. I don't have the patience for this apparently. I bought 7DTD instead and we'll see if that is more my speed.

Save scumming is possible if a bit hacky. In singeplayer, your game is saved each time you exit and stored in %UserProfile%\Zomboid\Saves\Sandbox\***game date***. Simply copy and rename the folder to somewhere else to backup your save, then restore the original folder to restore your game when you load the game again.

My current mutliplayer has also just ended by being tripped up by a crawling zombie - I didn't even know it was possible! RIP to my riding helmet and hiking bag.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Redundant posted:

you can take over one of the highly defensible locations like a fire station or even just a small part of some structure with really strong walls, for the first horde night it shouldn't be to crazy with what it sends at you. there should only be a couple of feral versions (a bit tougher, a bit faster attack rate) but they will all see through stealth and automatically know where you are, plus they will all move at sprint speed. otherwise they'll just be normal zombies.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

The house I'm in is probably too ramshackle to last then. I'll keep a look out for a better place, although I only started briefly to get a feel for things before starting a game with friends in the new year. Making a pipe shotgun was suitably satisfying to keep me plugging away with the ammo stash I found.

The big question before I join up with friends is whether we use the random world generation thing or Navezgane again. Is there a clear winner between the two?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Do the random world gen IMO, it's pretty much a brand new system of generating a map and makes for a nice world to play on. That other one has been the standard one for a while now and I don't know if it would have any of the new points of interest they recently added.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

explosivo posted:

Do the random world gen IMO, it's pretty much a brand new system of generating a map and makes for a nice world to play on. That other one has been the standard one for a while now and I don't know if it would have any of the new points of interest they recently added.

The default map, Navezgane, only has 4 small towns in it. I'd definitely recommend using the random map generator and there are a lot of good seeds in the A20 seed thread, this post has a ton of good ones with map images:

https://community.7daystodie.com/topic/25756-alpha-20-seed-thread/?do=findComment&comment=460201

I'm using BihariScientology with the generation settings listed in the post and it gives large cities in every biome (except burnt forest, the generator seems to skip that biome completely right now).

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

RandomBlue posted:

The default map, Navezgane, only has 4 small towns in it. I'd definitely recommend using the random map generator and there are a lot of good seeds in the A20 seed thread, this post has a ton of good ones with map images:

https://community.7daystodie.com/topic/25756-alpha-20-seed-thread/?do=findComment&comment=460201

I'm using BihariScientology with the generation settings listed in the post and it gives large cities in every biome (except burnt forest, the generator seems to skip that biome completely right now).

Will have to check this out.
Generated 3 maps so far but having hard time generating one with Towers.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

OgNar posted:

Will have to check this out.
Generated 3 maps so far but having hard time generating one with Towers.

The guy that made that post said he went through like 500 maps to get those. On my 5950x w/ a shitload of RAM it takes about 5-6 minutes to generate and save a map. That's a gently caress load of work.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
For the first several horde nights the only thing you need is a "off ground, single access ladder" structure and then shoot/whack them coming up the ladder.

This actually works for a good long while if you spec deep into perception and rifles and pick a single access ladder with a sturdy building under it and a place you can jump to for a minute to heal up and put yourself back together, because if you get AP ammo each bullet kills all the zombies on the ladder :V

Basically, though, if you get two buildings close enough to build an almost bridge with a gap you have to jump across, that plus the ladder thing trivializes the horde out past like day 100 it feels like, no traps necessary, just controlled fights with a fallback position to retreat to if you start getting overwhelmed

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

The seed thread is amazing, thanks. I was considering getting one of the mods to generate a world but this is much simpler. People seem to mention there being no burnt forest biome using the random generator but I guess that's a pretty small price to pay. I guess I have to just cycle through and pick a seed at this point.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Is there a way to remove bushes in Zomboid? I have a pretty good safehouse setup but I scratched my foot wading through the bushes in the front yard because I didn't realize one of my boots had a hole in it. :(

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
if you have a decent knife, maybe even a butter knife, you can right click on the bush to remove it.

it'll also get you the materials for a spear.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
You can also build something on those tiles to prevent anything from growing back, e.g. furrows or wood floor or whatever

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

RandomBlue posted:

I'm confused with the map generation options. I select Advanced Generation and put in the recommended settings and click Generate World. After about 7 min it spits out a map in the preview screens but there are no buildings in the preview, only roads, and no complete message. If I back out to the previous menu then the Start button is greyed out. I suspect that it should be generating some kind of complete message and then I can go back to the previous screen and click 'Start'. Is that right?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Animal-Mother posted:

Is there a way to remove bushes in Zomboid? I have a pretty good safehouse setup but I scratched my foot wading through the bushes in the front yard because I didn't realize one of my boots had a hole in it. :(

Free First Aid EXP!

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Canuckistan posted:

I'm confused with the map generation options. I select Advanced Generation and put in the recommended settings and click Generate World. After about 7 min it spits out a map in the preview screens but there are no buildings in the preview, only roads, and no complete message. If I back out to the previous menu then the Start button is greyed out. I suspect that it should be generating some kind of complete message and then I can go back to the previous screen and click 'Start'. Is that right?

Yeah, it's confusing. That preview map will eventually load the buildings but it takes a loooong time sometimes.

After clicking back you need to change the map/world option from RNG to the name of the map you just generated by clicking the left/right arrows to switch between them. The UI for this is pretty lovely.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

RandomBlue posted:

Yeah, it's confusing. That preview map will eventually load the buildings but it takes a loooong time sometimes.

After clicking back you need to change the map/world option from RNG to the name of the map you just generated by clicking the left/right arrows to switch between them. The UI for this is pretty lovely.

Oooh poo poo. This worked. Thanks.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Zomboid multi is pretty fun. I've already had to put down two friends who got infected, I'm the only smoker so I'm definitely bugging people to bring back cigs from runs.

Aside from that, having a different set of people focus on different skills is good. The guy who hosed his leg up organised the base a bit, I went out on a rescue (sadly, he had to be put down) and we've got a few walls/barricades set up.

The traits are excellent for roleplaying too.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Man I wish Raft was fun :(

Promotion's all bright colors and craft anything! Explore the world! and the actual gameplay's sitting around shooing a shark off your flotsam and seagulls off your crops literally every five minutes on the dot forever like you're in a French movie about the pointlessness of life

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Promotion's all bright colors and craft anything! Explore the world! and the actual gameplay's sitting around shooing a shark off your flotsam and seagulls off your crops literally every five minutes on the dot forever like you're in a French movie about the pointlessness of life

You could always try this
https://www.raftmodding.com/mods/raft-is-not-shark-food
or this
https://www.raftmodding.com/mods/remove-evil-animals

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Counterpoint: Raft is incredibly fun and chill when playing with friends. Solo is boring though, yeah.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

I enjoyed raft until our progress got softlocked by the shark because (minor spoilers for later game progression) after using two engines to drive backwards to the one island that needs that, the shark ate one while we were on the island, leaving us unable to back out of the cove we parked in. Given the options of either tearing down the raft to try again or swimming out to find materials and getting eaten by a shark repeatedly we decided to do something else instead.

I forget why we decided the hand paddle wasn't an option, probably didn't have the parts to make one.

RadioDog
May 31, 2005
I’ve been really impressed with the new Project Zomboid changes. I actually bought this game a year or so ago, tried it for a little, and returned it because it just wasn’t my thing. I’m impressed how much they’ve been able to make what I thought wasn't that fun into something I actually want to spend precious game time on.

In particular I’ve been surprised by how well the game creates these emergent situations. Returning to my safehouse to be surprised by 8 or so zeds pounding on my front door and desperate to get them away I stood in the street and yelled until they all came after me - didn't know what else to do. Led them to a nearby house with an open garage I’d looted, into the garage, shut the inner door behind me then snuck back around to close the mob in the garage so they didn’t see me. I was surprised at how well it all worked, almost like a planned game event – it felt clever but it was really just me panicking. Of course, now there’s a house full of them right near my safehouse so I’m going to need to go back there and either clear it out, or go find another safehouse, but that was a pretty neat moment. I’ve currently got a truck backed into my own garage that I’m slowly loading looted goods into planning on moving to a more rural area. I’m working faster now. We’ll see if I make it.

Also, I just realized while walking around that all those screams and gunshots (plus that loving helicopter) you sometimes hear in the distant actually effect the gameplay like the dead will all start to migrate towards them. For the longest time I thought it was just ambience. Can be a real problem if you’re caught out in the open or forgot to cover your windows.

Of course, I’m also starting to mod the poo poo out of it, in part to get rid of a lot of the delay timers on everything because out of the box this game does not respect your time, and I don’t have a lot of time to play it. But it’s been pretty fun and was def worth picking up during the winter sale. I’ve always been a big fan of The Long Dark and it scratches that survival itch pretty well.

RadioDog fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Dec 29, 2021

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I bought Zomboid back in like 2011 and it's kind of insane what this game's development has been through.

Having a blast with Build 41, really hoping that the game's sudden boom in popularity will help them push poo poo out a faster clip and finally leave early access after a decade.

Doubt it, but hey, anything's possible.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

i just bought it a couple of months ago after having been aware of it since early development, but didn't play it until recently with the release of multiplayer. initially i was impressed with how "cool" it is, but like other kinda complex and punishing system driven games like it, it was heading for the pile of games that i want to like more than i actually like. however, yesterday i had a couple of runs that completely made me lose track of time, and now i'm pretty much hooked.

are there any eu goon servers/groups?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Kevin Bacon posted:

are there any eu goon servers/groups?

The Mapgoons discord is talking about starting up our own server in the very near future, but right now we're looking at scheduled group sessions instead of an always-online server (likely in an EU-friendly evening time slot).

Not specifically a Zomboid goon server, but close enough maybe, especially if you also enjoy other games that we tend to like?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Can anyone reccomend some good youtube Unreal World tutorials or good lps? I'm loving the game but I feel like I'd have more fun if I learned some more and saw how other people play

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths

Drone posted:

The Mapgoons discord is talking about starting up our own server in the very near future, but right now we're looking at scheduled group sessions instead of an always-online server (likely in an EU-friendly evening time slot).

Not specifically a Zomboid goon server, but close enough maybe, especially if you also enjoy other games that we tend to like?

To follow up on this we now have a private server to play on over in mapgoons and are scheduled to start next Tuesday, we'll be playing weekly every Tues & Friday. This link will take you to the discord event showing the exact time we're starting, plus checkout the #zomboid-quarantine-zone channel for further discussions and details. So come on down, we don't bite... *yet*

https://discord.gg/4awSnh8Z?event=925959435426340894

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

power crystals posted:

I enjoyed raft until our progress got softlocked by the shark because (minor spoilers for later game progression) after using two engines to drive backwards to the one island that needs that, the shark ate one while we were on the island, leaving us unable to back out of the cove we parked in. Given the options of either tearing down the raft to try again or swimming out to find materials and getting eaten by a shark repeatedly we decided to do something else instead.

I forget why we decided the hand paddle wasn't an option, probably didn't have the parts to make one.

Way too late advice but it turns out killing the shark isn’t all that difficult. We started off terrified of the shark, moved into using bait mid game, and then end game whenever it showed up a few of us jumped into the water to kill it for food. The easiest method I found is use a bow and arrows. Go underwater, wait for it to lunge, fire the bow when it gets reasonably close, then immediately dodge left or right. It’ll pass by you and line up for another lunge. but yes in general it’s also important to add an extra tile of Raft past the important components so the shark doesn’t try to get cute with them.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
If you spear the shark just before it bites you you don't take damage either. Takes a little practice but you can just duel them underwater easily after you get the timing down

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

You can also reinforce foundation raft parts with metal to make them impossible to break by the shark. Pretty important to do to things you don't want to lose, but every part of your raft is a bit expensive to do of course.

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

Evil Kit posted:

You can also reinforce foundation raft parts with metal to make them impossible to break by the shark. Pretty important to do to things you don't want to lose, but every part of your raft is a bit expensive to do of course.

Pretty sure you only need to do the edges. Even the bits around an inboard anchor shouldn't need it.

e; unless something changed in the past few updates

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
It’s just the edges, yeah. Seagulls are a bit more annoying than the shark at a certain point.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

the former would have definitely improved my initial impression of the game but unfortunately there's still not very much there there past the shark-shooing. it just woulda been boring instead of actively miserable when every time you touch an island the shark beelines for your anchor, sets the raft adrift, and makes the world despawn under you

Prop Wash posted:

Way too late advice but it turns out killing the shark isn’t all that difficult. We started off terrified of the shark, moved into using bait mid game, and then end game whenever it showed up a few of us jumped into the water to kill it for food. The easiest method I found is use a bow and arrows. Go underwater, wait for it to lunge, fire the bow when it gets reasonably close, then immediately dodge left or right. It’ll pass by you and line up for another lunge. but yes in general it’s also important to add an extra tile of Raft past the important components so the shark doesn’t try to get cute with them.

Once you get metal smelting shark goes down easy but it respawns and starts snacking on your raft again within a couple minutes because gently caress you

I guess it'd be a positive development if you really, really wanted that plastic jug that's just out of hook range

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 30, 2021

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

REDjackeT posted:

Pretty sure you only need to do the edges. Even the bits around an inboard anchor shouldn't need it.

e; unless something changed in the past few updates

While it has been a number of months now last time I played I'd absolutely seen the shark chomp on inner bits that aren't edge. Been a while of course, and it never hurts to do when you have the resources for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

otoh The Forest whips but I'm not sure there's a point to spending a lot of time on the really slick fortress-building mechanic they clearly invested a lot in, all you get from hunkering down rather than staying mobile is tons of bigger gribblies to smash up all your poo poo. fortunately the rest of it is tons of fun too I had no idea this was The Descent: The Game

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 30, 2021