Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Nvidia also fixed their control panel's frame rate limiter and made it about as accurate as RTSS's, iirc. So you can comfortably set it to one or two fps lower than your max refresh rate instead of the 4-5 people were recommending before.

But basically, make sure adaptive sync/g-sync/freesync is enabled in your monitor's OSD, then enable it in the nvidia control panel, and it will be good to go in any full screen or borderless windowed game. The frame rate limiting stuff is just so you can avoid any input lag that comes from vsync kicking in. I would avoid using the setting that enables g-sync for windowed application since some apps can gently caress with that and cause weird refresh rate fluctuations while just doing normal windows stuff.
Does disabling g-sync for windowed applications mean you'll still get tearing in borderless windowed games then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Call me an idiot, but I think it would be cool if the Steam Deck took off and Sega made their own Steam Deck variant packed in with Yakuza and Sonic Mania.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Shipon posted:

Does disabling g-sync for windowed applications mean you'll still get tearing in borderless windowed games then?

No. Borderless windowed counts as full screen as far as nvidia's drivers are concerned. It just applies to regular windowed stuff. As a weeb, I noticed that setting caused weird poo poo to happen with visual novels. Moving the game window around made the system oddly laggy and caused screen flickers and other display issues while windowed mode g-sync was enabled, while it's perfectly fine with the fullscreen-applications-only setting enabled. I've noticed a handful of non-games causing issues too, such as Ryzen Master, if I recall correctly.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
If I’m using DLSS + DSR to supersample on a 1440p monitor, is it better for me to say go for 4K quality or 5k balanced? Does it make a difference?

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

change my name posted:

I have an ultrabook and a gaming desktop, and honestly since I've been working from home the last 2 years, I've been tempted to just sell both and buy a laptop with a 3080 in it. I don't really go anywhere anymore, but for occasional travel I think those chungus laptops are fine.

Edit: But also, like, even the most powerful gaming laptops aren't enormous these days anyways. The Razer Blade 14 and 15 just look like Macbooks but they're stuffed to the gills for instance.

I would think long and hard about how you use your laptop even just at home before doing something like this. Larger laptops usually mean you aren't gonna grab it and go use it on a couch, or in bed. It just becomes a louder, shittier desktop.

I'm not saying there's no use case for DRT devices, specifically people who travel and absolutely need local performance on the road but the size of a mobile device is going to impact how you use it. Gotta say, my biggest regret about my current laptop (2016 blade 14, so maybe half a pound heavier and slightly larger than the current gen) is how big and loud it is, and that's "only" 4 pounds. I can't imagine using one of those 9 pound drt laptops in your actual lap.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Thanks for the advice on undervolting, everyone! I did it and temperatures are much better. I played Metro Exodus for a few hours last night and didn't get above 74C. I didn't notice any impact on performance and I think I have a pretty aggressive undervolt (1960 MhZ and 900 mV right now, if I'm reading this right).

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

No. Borderless windowed counts as full screen as far as nvidia's drivers are concerned. It just applies to regular windowed stuff. As a weeb, I noticed that setting caused weird poo poo to happen with visual novels. Moving the game window around made the system oddly laggy and caused screen flickers and other display issues while windowed mode g-sync was enabled, while it's perfectly fine with the fullscreen-applications-only setting enabled. I've noticed a handful of non-games causing issues too, such as Ryzen Master, if I recall correctly.

Yeah, I've seen the same thing. Video game launchers (FFXIV, for example) also gets extremely laggy when this option is enabled.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Is buying used from ebay a bad idea? My gpu died last week and cus i have no integrated graphics ive been pretty desperate for a card. I had the 1070 mini before and it was good enough for what I used it for

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334248642100

Price is high for an old card but the important thing is that its a decent card that has dvi port for my 144hz monitor which is incompatable with dp.

Am i being dumb as poo poo here

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Don’t do it

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Dongicus posted:

Is buying used from ebay a bad idea? My gpu died last week and cus i have no integrated graphics ive been pretty desperate for a card. I had the 1070 mini before and it was good enough for what I used it for

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334248642100

Price is high for an old card but the important thing is that its a decent card that has dvi port for my 144hz monitor which is incompatable with dp.

Am i being dumb as poo poo here

Yes, get something cheaper on Reddit

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Which reddit?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Dongicus posted:

Which reddit?

r/hardwareswap

Begall
Jul 28, 2008
I've brought probably over a dozen GPUs from Facebook Marketplace at this point (in person and posted) and only been scammed once, and the prices have been far better than eBay - so I'd recommend looking on there. FYI £333 for a 1070 feels too high, I'd be hoping for £250 or so.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Ty gamer. Going to go beat my own rear end now

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Dongicus posted:

Ty gamer. Going to go beat my own rear end now

I’m going to guess you’re not ‘Mercian, but if you are I can help you.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Put my new computer with the 3070 together this morning. That Asus/Noctua cooler preforms really well. Not sure yet what to think of the coil whine on that card though. In Control at 1080p/60fps with all the graphical whatsits enabled, the card produces one hell of a buzzing noise.
My previous card was a R9 380, so it could be I'm just not used to the noises modern higher end card produce.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Raygereio posted:

Put my new computer with the 3070 together this morning. That Asus/Noctua cooler preforms really well. Not sure yet what to think of the coil whine on that card though. In Control at 1080p/60fps with all the graphical whatsits enabled, the card produces one hell of a buzzing noise.
My previous card was a R9 380, so it could be I'm just not used to the noises modern higher end card produce.

Nooo :(

This is very much a random luck kind of thing where most of the time you'll get a card without coil whine, but sometimes you'll get one with a lot. My 3080 Ti has none, so it's not just a matter of "better card = more whine." You just got really unlucky. The only tricks there are to reducing coil whine are either obfuscating it with other sources of noise or sending less power to the card. Not to respond to every issue with "try undervolting," but... try undervolting? :v:

Vasler posted:

Thanks for the advice on undervolting, everyone! I did it and temperatures are much better. I played Metro Exodus for a few hours last night and didn't get above 74C. I didn't notice any impact on performance and I think I have a pretty aggressive undervolt (1960 MhZ and 900 mV right now, if I'm reading this right).

Great to hear. I've tried more aggressive undervolts than that with varying levels of success (stability gets hit or miss below that in some games). It can take a little bit of time to dial in a perfect undervolt, so going with something that you know just works is smart.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Dec 28, 2021

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Might be worth trying to give it a bit of an undervolt - sometimes whine will manifest at specific frequencies and not at others.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

If I have a setup in my case of two intake 140 mm fans and one exhaust 120 mm fan, would adding another exhaust 120 mm fan on the top of the case make a big difference in thermals? I am debating this because of the high temp output from my new 3080 card.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Begall posted:

I've brought probably over a dozen GPUs from Facebook Marketplace at this point (in person and posted) and only been scammed once, and the prices have been far better than eBay - so I'd recommend looking on there. FYI £333 for a 1070 feels too high, I'd be hoping for £250 or so.

The problem with Facebook marketplace I'm seeing is a lot of cards "listed" at 4-500 then in the item description it says "Actual price 1200." What's the advantage of doing this rather than listing the card at the actual price?

I'm tempted to message these sellers and act deliberately obtuse and say "Sure I'll give you 400 for your 3070! :v:"

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

If I have a setup in my case of two intake 140 mm fans and one exhaust 120 mm fan, would adding another exhaust 120 mm fan on the top of the case make a big difference in thermals? I am debating this because of the high temp output from my new 3080 card.

It really depends on the case, but maybe? It would potentially make it harder for gpu exhaust to recirculate, or for CPU exhaust to be pulled down by the GPU, which sometimes happens. You'll want the fan in the rearmost top position usually.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Previa_fun posted:

The problem with Facebook marketplace I'm seeing is a lot of cards "listed" at 4-500 then in the item description it says "Actual price 1200." What's the advantage of doing this rather than listing the card at the actual price?

I'm tempted to message these sellers and act deliberately obtuse and say "Sure I'll give you 400 for your 3070! :v:"

I know there’s a price ceiling for listing but yeah it’s mostly bait and switch

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
You think there's any chance of prices coming back to normal within the next half year?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Sometimes when I'm playing video or a stream - I get weird disruptions to the picture. Almost like a bad signal to an old analog TV. Snow, black bars, etc, picture collapsing for half a second. I've only seen it appear during HDMI to TV use, but yesterday it continued after switching to my monitor.

Does this sound like a GPU problem?

I have an Asus TUF 3060 Ti.

I ran the furmark gpu stress test for a while, and 3dmark, and didn't see anything abnormal. Normal score, normal temps.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Rinkles posted:

You think there's any chance of prices coming back to normal within the next half year?

Honestly, no.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Rinkles posted:

Hell no. TSMC's new AZ fab is shooting for mass production in 2024 I know that's only one example but it takes a long rear end time to build more capacity. I know covid's been blamed for shortages in this industry but I feel that we were going to be in this predicament regardless.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

PirateBob posted:

Sometimes when I'm playing video or a stream - I get weird disruptions to the picture. Almost like a bad signal to an old analog TV. Snow, black bars, etc, picture collapsing for half a second. I've only seen it appear during HDMI to TV use, but yesterday it continued after switching to my monitor.

I ran the furmark gpu stress test for a while, and 3dmark, and didn't see anything abnormal. Normal score, normal temps.

Do you have a spare PSU lying around to test with? Some games tend to spike power usage beyond synthetic tests.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Rinkles posted:

No. I'm not a "prices will never be normal again" pessimist, but I don't think the gpu availability crisis will be solved within the next six months. Not even the hardware companies are saying this anymore, with Nvidia's CEO saying that they expect some shortages to last into 2023.

Availability may see small improvements though, which will be conditional on the crypto market and how many GPUs Intel will manage to manufacture, as well as whether the global supply chain issues can be at least partially addressed.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Do you have a spare PSU lying around to test with? Some games tend to spike power usage beyond synthetic tests.

Why? Playing 4K video uses max 20-30% of the GPU. It happens during 1080p playback too. I can't imagine it's a power issue.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

PirateBob posted:

Why? Playing 4K video uses max 20-30% of the GPU. It happens during 1080p playback too. I can't imagine it's a power issue.

I missed that key detail. I'm still sticking to my PSU test recommendation, it's surprising what a bad power supply will start doing to a PC.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I don't have any useful advice on addressing that issue, but I'm pretty sure it's not a power issue, at least. Those aren't the symptoms you see when there are power delivery issues. Especially if nothing bad happens during intensive stress tests.

Begall
Jul 28, 2008

Previa_fun posted:

Not something I’ve come across a lot, but then I’m buying at the other end of the market. I guess I also have a good sense of the value of the things I’m buying so if I see something massively underpriced I assume it’s a scam (it always is) and ignore it.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

PirateBob posted:

Forgot to specify that the disruptions happen not only within the video picture, but also on the rest of the screen if I play a video windowed.

Might this have to do with Gsync or something?

I'm using a beta BIOS for my MSI B550 gaming carbon wifi motherboard, btw. It had some problems with PCI-E lane settings on previous BIOSes.

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 28, 2021

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

For the cost of one fan just go for it.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

PirateBob posted:

Bad HDMI cable maybe? I try to look at the simplest possibilities first & didn't see any mention of trying a new cable. It sounds like either that or possibly an issue with the HDMI out on the card itself.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Bad HDMI cable maybe? I try to look at the simplest possibilities first & didn't see any mention of trying a new cable. It sounds like either that or possibly an issue with the HDMI out on the card itself.

That would make a lot of sense, except some of the artifacts continued happening on my monitor (DisplayPort).

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Modern video signals are digital, so either the signal transmits the full uncorrupted signal, or you get no signal at all. A bad HDMI cable should never lead to those symptoms. The presence of video corruption indicates another problem elsewhere, and it sounds like it could be an issue with the GPU itself.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Modern video signals are digital, so either the signal transmits the full uncorrupted signal, or you get no signal at all. A bad HDMI cable should never lead to those symptoms. The presence of video corruption indicates another problem elsewhere, and it sounds like it could be an issue with the GPU itself.

But why would it only show up sometimes during video playback and never under heavier gaming use? What does that point towards?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

PirateBob posted:

But why would it only show up sometimes during video playback and never under heavier gaming use? What does that point towards?

I'm not entirely sure, tbh. A defect in the video decoding part of the core? If you have another GPU you can test with, you can give that a shot. And do the standard procedure of reseating everything in your computer, ensuring everything is plugged in correctly, doing a clean driver reinstall and/or rollback. Though it sounds like an RMA could be in your future, unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Is there a chance whatever you're streaming with (browser, desktop app, etc ) isn't using hardware acceleration? Maybe it's using your CPU instead of GPU. Could be why you're only having the issue during video playback. Even if it is something as simple as hw acceleration toggle, that wouldn't bode well for your CPU and I think you'd have other, glaring issues.