Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

guessing "speed booster trap" refers to the pit with speed boost blocks over it that you fall into and can't escape until you understand that the animals are trying to teach you how to shine spark it's been a long time since i last played it though so i might be mixing up two things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

That's probably the one. Completely forgot about that one. IIRC you can basically avoid it as long as you don't use speed booster in pink brinstar.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

imo it's better not to avoid it if you're getting help/spoilers anyway because there's stuff in there iirc and you won't be stuck because you will know how the mechanic works.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Just Andi Now posted:

There's the "noob bridge" is a short section of the game that forces you to learn "oh, a dash button exists", which is what most people seem to be talking about. "Speed booster trap" might be referring to one of a few segments of the game that look like you might be able to make it, but actually require the speed booster.

The second one, vaguely, requires you to use a power up you get later to do environmental damage that is foreshadowed, but perhaps a bit too subtly. IIRC, the game does explicitly show you it if you let it sit at the title screen long enough for demo footage to start playing. For a more explicit explanation: you have to use power bombs to destroy a glass tube that lets you into the water area of the game.

Yup, the two things I had to look up in my recent playthrough. Man, this game must have been tough to finish back in 1994 without very specific Reddit threads to google and no Save State function.

I was very impressed by the game, though. The vibes! I was really surprised that for a big Nintendo flagship for the SNES, it's a truly lonely game. It explains almost nothing so there is a real air of mystery about the world as you discover it. Like the "Wrecked Ship" - it was more interesting to explore it knowing nothing about it.

I'm sure all of this has been said to death since the game is 25 years old, but I just never knew it was such an interesting game.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Yeah unfortunately that sense of isolation has been somewhat lost in recent games (fuckin Adam :mad:)

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

What helped me with shinespark puzzles was learning to take my thumb off the joystick when I wanted to activate it. Then push in the direction to go.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

AndrewP posted:

Yup, the two things I had to look up in my recent playthrough. Man, this game must have been tough to finish back in 1994 without very specific Reddit threads to google and no Save State function.

I was very impressed by the game, though. The vibes! I was really surprised that for a big Nintendo flagship for the SNES, it's a truly lonely game. It explains almost nothing so there is a real air of mystery about the world as you discover it. Like the "Wrecked Ship" - it was more interesting to explore it knowing nothing about it.

I'm sure all of this has been said to death since the game is 25 years old, but I just never knew it was such an interesting game.

I played through Super Metroid somewhere around second to fourth grade and wow was it a loving trip. I managed to force my way through the game without any guides. The hardest thing was definitely the boss of the water zone. Then I heard through the playground about the grapple beam trick and did another play through just to zap that rear end in a top hat. Then I did a high percent clear, 96% iirc. Then I beat it under under three hours. I still have those saves on my cart.

Super Metroid owns.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Wildtortilla posted:

The hardest thing was definitely the boss of the water zone. Then I heard through the playground about the grapple beam trick and did another play through just to zap that rear end in a top hat.

oh yeah. I didn't exactly look this up, but I did see it mentioned and once you know... kinda hard to keep poking missiles at it

I'm pretty sure I was underpowered for Ridley at 5 energy tanks, but my options were go all the way back and hunt for more tanks or just keep trying to beat him as is. The latter seemed like less work and I eventually got him.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I am at the final boss of Dread and he is a capital D Dick. I am not a fan. :mad:

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Have there been any updates about Outer Wilds since the announcement that it was delayed until winter 2021? I’ve tried searching but found nothing

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Silver Falcon posted:

I am at the final boss of Dread and he is a capital D Dick. I am not a fan. :mad:

he took me so many tries. you'll get there bit by bit.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Silver Falcon posted:

This was a surprisingly hard fight for me. Just be patient and learn his attacks. There aren't too many and the tells are are unique and obvious with practice. Focus more on dodging and staying alive than trying to damage race him.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Silver Falcon posted:

When it's gold you shouldn't bother shooting. Bait parries and blast it then.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I picked up Hand of Fate 2 while it was on sale but haven’t played it yet. Any impressions of it in here? I would try it out but I’m giving my honest best to try to get through Kotor this time, and if any of the previous 10 times I tried to play it are any indication of what will happen, as soon as I start another game I’ll forget about it and not come back to it.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

loudog999 posted:

I picked up Hand of Fate 2 while it was on sale but haven’t played it yet. Any impressions of it in here? I would try it out but I’m giving my honest best to try to get through Kotor this time, and if any of the previous 10 times I tried to play it are any indication of what will happen, as soon as I start another game I’ll forget about it and not come back to it.

It’s ok, fun little action game. Better than the first one in every way. It’s not amazing, but there are worse ways to spend your time.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Oscar Wild posted:

When it's gold you shouldn't bother shooting. Bait parries and blast it then.

I can consistently get to his third phase, but from there he just wrecks me. I really do not like this man.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Silver Falcon posted:

I can consistently get to his third phase, but from there he just wrecks me. I really do not like this man.

power bombs explode that dark circle thing and give you a massive amount of health and missles

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

lol so far my favorite switch game is Yoku's Island. .50 well spent. Also makes me want that vertical grip and a pinball game!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Oscar Wild posted:

power bombs explode that dark circle thing and give you a massive amount of health and missles

:aaa: YOU ARE A loving GOD THANK YOU. I will try this!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Google Butt posted:

lol so far my favorite switch game is Yoku's Island. .50 well spent. Also makes me want that vertical grip and a pinball game!

honestly the switch is perfect for pinball

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Your Computer posted:

honestly the switch is perfect for pinball

I just saw a video of fx3 in vertical mode and I'm thinking it looks sick on the OLED so I'm gonna buy it now

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Oscar Wild posted:

HOLY poo poo YES that was the exact thing I needed to know to beat his rear end! I did iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit! :woop: :woop: GAME BEATEN!

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I’m weak and bad at video games and have sat on the final Metroid dread boss for weeks now. Can’t muster the motivation to take the time to beat that rear end in a top hat.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

nachos posted:

I’m weak and bad at video games and have sat on the final Metroid dread boss for weeks now. Can’t muster the motivation to take the time to beat that rear end in a top hat.

He's laughing at you. He just nudged his buddy and pointed at your post. He says you are a butt.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

nachos posted:

I am terribad at the game and I managed to beat him! You can do iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Your Computer posted:

honestly the switch is perfect

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

In case you don't get it, it start in room 4.

You run right from 4 to 5, and you have a millisecond to stop and drop down to charge up. Turn around, jump, go left with your speed charge, hit down exactly when you hit the 45° ramp, and now on a timer you shoot the door open, go right, go into a ball, jump, go left.

Enter room 4, crash through wall, enter room 3, at exactly the moment you crash through the bricks but before leaving room 3 (about 1/8 of a second) you press down to charge up, timer resumes, continue progress left, enter room 2, stand up, jump without discharging, return to ball, jump, go left, enter room 1.

So imagine the precision of the hardest rhythm game but between notes there's loading screens so there's no rhythm to follow.

gently caress that loving puzzle.

That video showed probably the most difficult possible way to do that Shinespark.

You just run right to left, duck in front of the door, open it, and then morph ball shinespark left. You'll hit the ramp in the transition room, and then you hit down to recharge the spark. You think you can't time it? That's why that Ripper is there, to provide a visual and auditory cue when you kill it and thus give you a moment to base your timing on.

Then instead of that godawful convoluted roll out and jump onto a platform and all that in a small amount of time, you just go back over to the right at the bottom of the hill you just hit and morph ball shinespark left. Boom, done.

There's some absolutely dumb shinespark puzzles in the GBA games, but this is hardly one of them: two shinesparks chained over two rooms in a small area, except you're one block tall instead of two. Maridia Main Street is far less forgiving and that's only one spark with a visual cue.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

So I beat the Friends of Ringo Ishikawa. Great game, it's only about 10 hours and I don't think it's possible to 100% it in 1 go so there's plenty to do. Hell, I never played a video game or watched tv. I didn't even get to finish my second research paper.

I immediately bought Arrest of the Stone Buddha, the developer's second game. The gunplay is great, it's fun breaking people's arms but the difficulty is way overtuned and tedious. I really hope Yeo's next game is more like Ringo.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Finally beat Toejam & Earl for the first time ever, my verdict: still good but goddamn falling down levels is soul sucking

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

What's the best pinball game?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

loudog999 posted:

I have it on steam and super enjoyed it! Never played anything like it before or since, it's a fun game and the combat is great

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Google Butt posted:

as in app or table?

pinball fx3 has by far the best tables, pinball arcade is mostly a lot of nothing (they lost their license and removed all the tables) and zaccaria is cool but all the tables are very old and simple

e: and with either option the base app is free but you have to pay to get the tables (usually in packs)

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Google Butt posted:

Pokemon Pinball: Ruby & Sapphire

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Rosalie_A posted:

That video showed probably the most difficult possible way to do that Shinespark.

You just run right to left, duck in front of the door, open it, and then morph ball shinespark left. You'll hit the ramp in the transition room, and then you hit down to recharge the spark. You think you can't time it? That's why that Ripper is there, to provide a visual and auditory cue when you kill it and thus give you a moment to base your timing on.

Then instead of that godawful convoluted roll out and jump onto a platform and all that in a small amount of time, you just go back over to the right at the bottom of the hill you just hit and morph ball shinespark left. Boom, done.

thanks, i thought it was simpler than that video but i couldn't remember.

the worst that comes to mind for me is the one where you have to shoot a missile at speed booster speed within the 1 tile space after you break the speed booster block in front of a missile block and before you run into the missile block.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

How's Demon's Tilt?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Postman posted:

How's Demon's Tilt?
really cool but it's very chaotic and flashy (some of the effects can be turned off) and it's very difficult

also some folks thinks it's expensive since it's just the one table, but i don't think that's entirely fair since it's much more videogame-y than a regular pinball table and has a lot more elements than you'd find in those

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I finally started traveling for work again and my switch is going dock-less more than ever.

I’m gonna try to get an OLED to replace my launch. Has it gotten any easier? eBay scalp prices seem to have lowered so I’m wondering if I have a better shot if I’m willing to throw discord updates on my Apple watch like I did for my GPU.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Rolo posted:

I finally started traveling for work again and my switch is going dock-less more than ever.

I’m gonna try to get an OLED to replace my launch. Has it gotten any easier? eBay scalp prices seem to have lowered so I’m wondering if I have a better shot if I’m willing to throw discord updates on my Apple watch like I did for my GPU.

If yours is early enough to be hackable you might also find someone who has an OLED and would do a swap + cash.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Rolo posted:

I’m gonna try to get an OLED to replace my launch. Has it gotten any easier?

I was able to get an OLED from Walmart online a few weeks back without waiting in a queue or checking Twitter feeds or anything - they were just in stock for a few days. I imagine if you're just a little patient you can just walk into a Target or whatever and get one now or soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?

Rolo posted:

I’m gonna try to get an OLED to replace my launch. Has it gotten any easier?

If you’ve got GameStops near you, they can check the stock of all stores in your area. I got one in under a week that way back in November.