Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

karmicknight posted:

we haven't seen what the Jan 4 stip is yet, she might return.

Hear me out:

Kaiju Misao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

fez_machine posted:

Anyway here's the full card for the Gake No Fuchi January 4th show

https://twitter.com/gkpw2019/status/1475339315798757376

Lmao at MIyacoco in this pic.
https://twitter.com/gkpw2019/status/1475341372358291457

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
TJPW vod is out.

https://twitter.com/tjpw2013/status/1475391714638835715

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Misao you scamp!

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

https://twitter.com/ddtpro_eng/status/1421311375087865858?t=vrLKJ-AyppQGqgWm8M1A_w&s=19

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Lamuella posted:

Hear me out:

Kaiju Misao.

yes please, i would like this very much

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

SG Bamboo posted:

Teams for Max Heart 2022, bracket draw will be tomorrow at 11am on TJPW's Youtube channel

It's up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T4WIHd2IEo

e: oh my god THIS loving RABBIT

e2: here's the brackets

Top left:
Pom/Kiryu vs Moka/Arai
winners face AriSuzu (Suzume/Endo)

Bottom left:
Hikari/Nao vs Cat and Bird (Haruna/Kaya)
winners face Bakuretsu (Tenma/Aino)

Top right:
MagiRabi (Yuka/Mizuki) vs Kyoraku Kyomei (Shoko/Misao)
winners face DayDream (Rika/Miu)

Bottom right:
Marika/Raku vs VenYu (Kamiyu/Asuka)
winners face 121000000 (Miyu/Maki)

Penguin Patrol fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 28, 2021

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

https://twitter.com/tjpw2013/status/1475658461442887683

VENY!

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

All those ladies have far too much energy for a lottery drawing, and I realised I am really bad at figuring out who some of them are when they're in masks and not their ring attire (when Moka came to present her number I had to rewind multiple times to make sure it wasn't Miu in disguise)

e: beaten on the brackets

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Hell yes I am so down for more Venyu

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Let's go VenYu imo

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
VenYu vs. MaRaku :sickos:

VenYu vs. 121000000 :sickos: :sickos: :sickos:

Hikari Nao vs. Cat and Bird :sickos: :sickos: :sickos: :sickos: :sickos:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I love that most of the first and second-round matchups are actual tossups.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
also I just noticed the Team of Rivals (Moka and Yuki Arai)

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

karmicknight posted:

also I just noticed the Team of Rivals (Moka and Yuki Arai)

I'm gonna pop like crazy when Moka kicks Arai's head off and walks out on her

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
I love that TJWP has enough faith in its performers that I think every lottery I've seen them do is a shoot

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

fez_machine posted:

I love that TJWP has enough faith in its performers that I think every lottery I've seen them do is a shoot

I mean they could probably try and work it, but it's hard to do with a chaos elemental being a part of your roster. https://twitter.com/tde_gif/status/1475702305118957568?s=20

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I cannot stress how good Pom and Mahiro is as a team.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
VENYU vs 121000000 is going to rule, especially the part where VENYU win

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Other companies living in 2021 while TJPW living in 3021 by booking VENYU/121000000 :stare:

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Rarity posted:

Other companies living in 2021 while TJPW living in 3021 by booking VENYU/121000000 :stare:

as soon as I get out they drag me back in.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Lately I've been interested in getting more into Joshi and so I checked out Stardom's Christmas show. Took a bit to get used to the camera angle and the lack of commentary, but I got over that pretty quickly as the wrestling itself was incredible. The undercard was lots of fun but the last two matches were definitely my favorite, Syuri/Konami vs. Maika/Sayaka was an absolute war and the six-woman main was an utter delight from start to finish.

I'm thinking about getting Stardom world when the first of the month rolls around, do those that have it feel it's worth the cost?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Barry Bluejeans posted:

Lately I've been interested in getting more into Joshi and so I checked out Stardom's Christmas show. Took a bit to get used to the camera angle and the lack of commentary, but I got over that pretty quickly as the wrestling itself was incredible. The undercard was lots of fun but the last two matches were definitely my favorite, Syuri/Konami vs. Maika/Sayaka was an absolute war and the six-woman main was an utter delight from start to finish.

I'm thinking about getting Stardom world when the first of the month rolls around, do those that have it feel it's worth the cost?

Stardom isn't necessarily my favourite joshi group, because I prefer SEAdLINNNG & Ice Ribbon but those both way higher barriers to entry (SEAd shows are iPPVs that are about $20 a go & you only get access to an archive of them for a week, IR involves using NicoNico which is a pain in the arse) but yeah, Stardom World is worth the entrance fee. Even stuff like tomorrow's Dream Queendom iPPV will be up on World within a week of it airing on PPV usually, there's a lot of stuff in the archives going back through the promotions history. And ultimately as much as I grumble about the undercards the main event scene has a lot of extremely good women in it.

You definitely get used to one or two camera shows once you start getting into joshi, the scene is very small at the end of the day.

I did a post with my top 10 joshi matches of 2021 here, there's only 3 Stardom matches in the list but it'll give you a good and not overwhelming starting spot for recent stuff to check out, but if you want full show recommendations then All-Star Dream Cinderella from March is where to start as it has 3 matches I have at ****1/4 or higher, plus a **** match. 12th June Tokyo Dream Cinderella has the much raved about Hayashishita vs Syuri match (the rematch of which happens tomorrow at Dream Queendom!), plus a very good elimination tag & the Cinderella Tournament 2021 final. 5 Star Grand Prix Nights 1, 2 & 17 (the final night) are all great. And actually so is Osaka Dream Cinderella from October. But yeah, there is A LOT to like about Stardom.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
If you like the shows then its worth the cost. What I would mention is that nothing airs live there: the PPVs (there is one tomorrow with the big Utami-Syuri rematch) appear four days after they happen and the other shows are slightly less regular since its literally one guy editing and translating those so if they have a run of a lot of shows you can be waiting for a while (never more than a week) sometimes. You get every show they do though and the archives back to 2017 are very complete so there's a lot to dive in to there.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Thanks much to both of you, I indeed see that there's a ton of of archived stuff on Stardom World so I'm not super concerned about having new shows immediately available. I also got Wrestle Universe in part for TJPW, but I wasn't incredibly fond of the one show (Hustle! Wrestle!) that I've seen so far. The main was really good but the undercard was unremarkable and the matches came off as very...fetishy at times.

Hopefully I'm not stepping on any toes by saying that, I definitely plan on giving TJPW another try with their show on the 3rd.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
TJPW is more comedy/character based which is why their cards are full of random tag-teams. They do have some stories but they're usually longer and don't progress every show. Most of their stories outside of Saki-Sama's stuff are just long-term rivalries and sometimes it's months between interactions. The positive in this style is that you can expect TJPW to be consistent pretty much every show and it doesn't matter if you miss a couple shows.

I tried watching Stardom for the first time in years recently and there's a ton of factions and back-stabbing and all sorts of things going on that I feel like I'd need a primer to know half of what's going on but the wrestling is more serious and storyline focused with random faction matches filling in between big shows, closer to what NJPW does.

Just in general either way you go, it's a lot more common for Japanese shows to have no commentary at all

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Yeah the TJPW scene outside the main event is pretty rough. Once you get outside the Miyu/Itoh/Yuka/Mizuki/Shoko/Neo Bishiiki-gun group there's a harsh drop in quality. There's some who are on their way to getting it (Miu/Hikari/Kamiyu) but there's a whole lot of them who are really rough to watch from a workrate perspective. Some of them have neat personalities that make them fun to root for but then you have blank slates like Mahiro and Aino and a few who are actively repellent (hi Pom)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Barry Bluejeans posted:

Thanks much to both of you, I indeed see that there's a ton of of archived stuff on Stardom World so I'm not super concerned about having new shows immediately available. I also got Wrestle Universe in part for TJPW, but I wasn't incredibly fond of the one show (Hustle! Wrestle!) that I've seen so far. The main was really good but the undercard was unremarkable and the matches came off as very...fetishy at times.

Hopefully I'm not stepping on any toes by saying that, I definitely plan on giving TJPW another try with their show on the 3rd.

TJPW is good because you already pay for Wrestle Universe in order to see NOAH & DDT. I don't think it's really fetishy, or at least no more so than most idol joshi promotions, but a lot of the roster is very raw & it's really about big broad characters rather than the sort of workrate you expect from more "classic" joshi groups like Sendai Girls & Marvelous, or the hard-hitting action of SEAd, or even Stardom which sort of has one foot in either camp. So you kind of have to let yourself go & just embrace the silliness. Or do what I plan on doing in 2022 & just skipping the matches that don't feature the TJPW wrestlers I like watching: Miyu, Maki, MagiRabbits, Sakisama & friends, Hikari Noa, Shoko, Nodoka, Rika, or Raku but only when she's tagging with Aja Kong. Obviously you have to watch a bit of it to really work out who on the roster you like, & some of them are growers.

Someone like Miyu Yamashita or Shoko Nakajima or Rika Tatsumi could hang at the top of Stardom cards, so they do have that level of talent, you just have to accept that Haruna Neko the tiny cat or Pom the clown aren't going to be putting on many ***1/2 matches, & if they are they are probably in a multiman tag.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
They're going to get sick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqAxXJDJN-Y

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

For the Stardom PPV tomorrow is it possible to start from the beginning when the show is still going or would I have to wait until it ends?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Also worth noting that if you have Wrestle Universe you also have access to the Ganbare Joshi shows, which are fewer in number than TJPW (typically one a month) but are much more traditional joshi than TJPW is. They can be a bit rough and ready but there's been some good matches on there.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Rarity posted:

a few who are actively repellent (hi Pom)

wow

woooooooooow

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

TJPW don't try and mold people into the perfect Joshi wrestler is pretty much all there is to that, they have been taking on trainees who have backgrounds in all sorts of other things like comedians, idols, softball players, or parkour enthusiasts.

Sometimes you end up with a comedian like Yuka Sakazaki who takes well to it, or athletes like Miu and Yamashita who become total naturals. Sometimes they just get Pom and that's okay. They're not trying to make Pom wrestle like anyone but Pom. If the performance center trained people like TJPW it'd be a lot more fun to watch because these washed out football players would only have to do spears, powerslams, and big swings and might still be able to walk by the time they're 28

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Who was the parkour enthusiast?

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Rarity posted:

Who was the parkour enthusiast?
The bird rookie was someone that Shoko met while doing stunt work in her free time

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Lamuella posted:

Also worth noting that if you have Wrestle Universe you also have access to the Ganbare Joshi shows, which are fewer in number than TJPW (typically one a month) but are much more traditional joshi than TJPW is. They can be a bit rough and ready but there's been some good matches on there.

Yeah, I watched the Save You and Love You show the other day and liked it quite a bit, I'll be sure to keep an eye on them as well going forward.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Rarity posted:

a few who are actively repellent (hi Pom)

I'm loving sorry.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
The other thing about TJPW is they're very good at playing the long game and building their own stars within their own ecosystem. Until relatively recently Maki Itoh had a whole lot more common with Pom and Haruna Neko than a lot of people would like to admit.

Under all the frills and idols and goofy characters it's actually probably the most satisfyingly-booked promotion I've ever followed. Maybe ironically it's one of the best out there for "this is an actual sport and we're competing in it" style storytelling. Everyone pretty much gets where they belong and it feels really good when they get there.

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 29, 2021

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Johnny Landmine posted:

The other thing about TJPW is they're very good at playing the long game and building their own stars within their own ecosystem. Until relatively recently Maki Itoh had a whole lot more common with Pom and Haruna Neko than a lot of people would like to admit.

poo poo, a year ago when I started watching the first impression I got of Itoh from people was "great character, rudimentary ring work"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Johnny Landmine posted:

Everyone pretty much gets where they belong and it feels really good when they get there.

2022 is Mahiro Kiryu's year