Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

gently caress off lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Donkringel posted:

Missus and I finished Diablo 3 and are about to finish It Takes Two.

How does one finish Diablo 3? Season 25 is still going! Make seasonal characters and get that guardian frame

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
Need some game rec's. I have a modern gaming PC, and the new Xbox One Series X. But I'm still playing OLD games. I need some rec's for Modern Games that fit my likes. Specifically, looking for games made within the last few years 2019-2021

#1.
What I like - RTS games like SC2, Warcraft.
What I want to find - An RTS like these, with online Multiplayer.

#2.
What I like - CRPG's like Baldurs Gate, Neverwinter Nights
What I want - A different new modern CRPG game (played BG3 through already)

#3.
What I like - Final Fantasy Tactics. Turn based strategy games with numerous fantasy based classes.
What I want - A modern turn based tactical strategy game similar to FFT.

So there's 3 different genre's of games I'd like to get modern game recommendations for. Any thoughts?

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Fell Seal is the most FFT-scratching game I've played in recent times. It is a 2019 game, but it's got a distinctly GBA but in HD aesthetic.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

Unreal_One posted:

Fell Seal is the most FFT-scratching game I've played in recent times. It is a 2019 game, but it's got a distinctly GBA but in HD aesthetic.

Just checked this out on Steam and it's definitely what I was looking for, thanks!

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Dennis McClaren posted:

#3.
What I like - Final Fantasy Tactics. Turn based strategy games with numerous fantasy based classes.

Do you have any interest in the SMT series? It includes my favourite DS titles; the SMT: Devil Survivor games which combine FFT gameplay with a more traditional turn based RPG system once you enter into combat with the enemies. They have multiple routes and endings depending on which actions you take and who you talk to when which is all very well done.

There are 3DS remasters of both titles which include full voice acting and new chapters for the different endings if you'd prefer it on that system, but the originals are excellent on their own.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

Beartaco posted:

Do you have any interest in the SMT series? It includes my favourite DS titles; the SMT: Devil Survivor games which combine FFT gameplay with a more traditional turn based RPG system once you enter into combat with the enemies. They have multiple routes and endings depending on which actions you take and who you talk to when which is all very well done.

There are 3DS remasters of both titles which include full voice acting and new chapters for the different endings if you'd prefer it on that system, but the originals are excellent on their own.

Going to take a look! Haven't thought of SMT in a long time, thanks.

MrXmas
Apr 10, 2006

Let's Get Sweaty

UltraShame posted:

Any recommendations for games like Nioh 1/2?

Specifically - I'm in the mood for something (preferably an Adventure/RPG) with absurd systems on systems on systems.

Things like this that I enjoyed:
  • Nioh 1/2
  • Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
  • Infinity Engine RPGs and their modern -alikes (although I'm pretty sure I've played all of these)
  • Good Immersive Sims (I'm pretty sure I've played all of these)
Things like this I didn't enjoy:
  • Path of Exile
  • Crusader Kings/Stellaris/Grand Strategy in general
  • Thigs that are complicated because they aren't explained (looking at you, Deadly Premonition, Hellpoint, etc)

Complex system games I've liked but don't really fit the bill as actiony/rpg: Dwarf Fortress, Qud, Eve online.

Monster Hunter World/Rise?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Dennis McClaren posted:

Need some game rec's. I have a modern gaming PC, and the new Xbox One Series X. But I'm still playing OLD games. I need some rec's for Modern Games that fit my likes. Specifically, looking for games made within the last few years 2019-2021

#1.

Age of Empires 4 came out this year

quote:

#2.

Pillars of Eternity 1&2, Pathfinder Kingmaker and Wrath of the Righteous

quote:

#3.

Disgaea 6 released this year

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Dennis McClaren posted:

#1.

#2.

#3.

So there's 3 different genre's of games I'd like to get modern game recommendations for. Any thoughts?

If you did BG3 already, and liked the feel of it, Divinity: Original Sin 1 and 2 are both excellent in different, but recognizable ways to BG3. Will second both Pillars games, though I think 2 is better. Also, Wasteland 3 is p good.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Soloista has come a long way and while goofy and having low production values, is a good dungeoncrawler with some insane verticality that reminds me of FFT.

My FFT jank but is solid recommendation is Sigma Finite Tactics (SFT) on both PC and mobile. Basically the first real good crack at an FFT roguelike that I’ve played.

Naramyth fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Dec 28, 2021

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Naramyth posted:

Soloista has come a long way and while goofy and having low production values, is a good dungeoncrawler with some insane verticality that reminds me of FFT.

My FFT jank but is solid recommendation is Sigma Finite Tactics (SFT) on both PC and mobile. Basically the first real good crack at an FFT roguelike that I’ve played.

That looks great, and only a buck fitty, cant beat that.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/916040/SFD__Rogue_TRPG/ this?

e: oh on android too, opinion bucks well spent

OgNar fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 28, 2021

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Yup that’s it!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I would like some game recommendations. I don't really play multiplayer games, so something with a strong single player component or exclusively single player is preferred.

Things I like in games:

D&D type isometric RPGs (Divinity, Pillars of Eternity, Baldur's Gate, Pathfinder Kingmaker)

Action games with swordsmanship that's more indepth than just clicking on the bad guy until it dies (Sekiro, Kingdom Come Deliverance)

Shooters where you have to think a little bit, but not too much (Metro Exodus, Sniper Elite)

Open world games or at least games with nonlinear areas (Metro Exodus again, Witcher 3, Red Dead Redemption).

Shooting nazis, even better if there's a tank involved.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Ensign Expendable posted:

I would like some game recommendations. I don't really play multiplayer games, so something with a strong single player component or exclusively single player is preferred.

Things I like in games:

D&D type isometric RPGs (Divinity, Pillars of Eternity, Baldur's Gate, Pathfinder Kingmaker)

Action games with swordsmanship that's more indepth than just clicking on the bad guy until it dies (Sekiro, Kingdom Come Deliverance)

Shooters where you have to think a little bit, but not too much (Metro Exodus, Sniper Elite)

Open world games or at least games with nonlinear areas (Metro Exodus again, Witcher 3, Red Dead Redemption).

Mount and Blade: Bannerlord- Open world strategy rpg simulator with large scale real time tactical battles and complex swordplay. Hits 2 and 4

Metal Gear Solid V: Phantom Pain- open world stealth action shooter. Very good. Hits 3 and 4

Horizon: Zero Dawn- open world survival action game, with robot dinosaurs that take thought and planning to take down. Would say it hits 2, 3 and 4.

You're pretty SOL for isometric rpgs unless you go old, you've played the main good ones.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Spiderweb Software makes some good isometrics.

https://store.steampowered.com/developer/spiderwebsoftware

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Things I like in games:

Give Dragon's Dogma:Dark Arisen a try. The story is fairly bare Bones (it gets impressive at parts but the game suffered greatly from cuts) but it has a fantastic combat system. Best way to describe it would be a more realistic take at fighting fantasy beasts. A Dragon is actually a big loving deal so you'll need to plan out your strategy. So you'll jump on the dragon and hold on, try to pin down it's wings to keep it from flying, or stabbing it in the head with your dagger. Alternatively call down a massive loving tornado and ground it.

It's single player with a light multiplayer component of a companion rental system. You usually run in a party of four, yourself, one permanent companion and two rentals from other players (their permanent companion).

Basic gist of the story is a giant, world ending dragon shows up at your village and you try to kill it with a rusty sword. Dragon beats the poo poo out of you and eats your heart, basically a magic bond with the dragon challenging you to level up and try to kill it. Baseline story is you working your way to kick it's poo poo in.

The DLC (the 'dark arisen') component is fantastic, it's a high end level dungeon with horrifying enemies and a lot of exploration for good gear. What's really fun is that you can immediately start it once you are into the game proper, so if you want a really tough challenge you can get one.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Things I like in games:

Stalker fits both the "shooters where you think" and the "open world" categories, and is excellent! I think Shadow of Chernobyl, the first one, is the best, but it also requires some basic mod installations to work. The Stalker thread here in Games has info. Call of Pripyat, the third one, works well right out of the box.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Things I like in games:

Metal Gear Rising

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

a strong single player component or exclusively single player is preferred.

Shadow of Mordor? Hits those boxes pretty well!

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Things I like in games:

Valkyria chronicles is a word fusion of all of these, with added anime.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Things I like in games:

Death’s Door is a sub-AAA (AA? Single A?) game that might check a couple of those boxes

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Jack Trades posted:

Metal Gear Rising

Worth playing just for the soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY97V9NvSjA

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

You're pretty SOL for isometric rpgs unless you go old, you've played the main good ones.

Shadowrun: Dragonfall and Hong Kong.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

This wasn't mentioned yet so, if you find it on super duper sale, it's worth mentioning that Star Wars Fallen Order is essentially like, Sekiro Lite. I don't mean it as like a compliment or anything for the game, it is weirdly buggy sometimes and the challenge of the mode above normal, but below "go gently caress yourself" was still really easy for me, but the combat is very clearly based on Sekiro. It uses the same parry timing system and stamina, except you don't kill bosses and stuff by clearing their stamina. That's still the way to open them up for damage, but there's no orb-based stuff. The story is also extremely in the "kids and people whose favorite character is r2d2" kind of vibe in terms of characters, general presentation, all that. A lot of it is just plain silly, but I grew to like that. Overall to me it felt like someone looked around at Sekiro, God of War, and Uncharted and was like "people like this stuff huh? alright I can do that" but didn't really nail any particular part of it.

In any case, it has Sekiro style melee combat, so you should be aware of it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Fallen Order does have a simplified combat system compared to the souls games it takes influence from (it still has blocking, parrying, figuring out enemy movesets,), and the story is a bit weak, but it's also a platformer and Metroid Prime-lite with some really great environmental design.

It kind of is jack of all trades master of none with carrying a lot of influence from a lot of games without fully being able to realize them, but I think it adds up to something really fun in its own right.

Metal Gear Solid V draws some from Sniper Elite, but it may take more of your brain to get a handle on things since it's a lot more open and a lot (and there's some uncomfortable content in there).

Assassin's Creed is my go-to series for when I don't really plan on using my brain for much. The latest 3 games have the biggest, most expansive and immersive open areas, but the whole series is open-world (and the whole series has issues with despite the open world, individual missions being pretty linear). Your options are crusades middle east, Italian renaissance city-states, early modern Rome (that's the one with Da Vinci's tank), Ottoman Istanbul, colonial US, revolutionary US, pirate caribbean, revolution Haiti (which is the closest to killing nazis I guess), revolutionary France, Victorian London, late Ptolemaic Egypt, Peloponnesian War Ancient Greece, and Vikingland. The AC series I think was actually the first to have the parry-based group combat that became pretty popular, and it's gone through a lot of shifts to make things harder or adding in a leveling and skill system, that's always been at the heart.

Shadow of Mordor has open-world nonlinear sneaking with a little complexity in the swordplay and it doesn't need a lot of brain to play through. If you really like playing it for long periods of time without turning your brain on, you can go on to play Shadow of War. It's sort of Assassin's Creed in a novel setting and with a procedural army system.

The closest game to shooting nazis with a tank I can recommend is Batman: Arkham Knight, but probably go play the first two Arkham games first, because if you don't like those, you won't see the good in Arkham Knight.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Thanks for the recommendations, everyone!

gohuskies posted:

Stalker fits both the "shooters where you think" and the "open world" categories, and is excellent! I think Shadow of Chernobyl, the first one, is the best, but it also requires some basic mod installations to work. The Stalker thread here in Games has info. Call of Pripyat, the third one, works well right out of the box.

I've played the poo poo out of the first STALKER, but not really any of the others. Are there mods for Call of Pripyat to bring it more or less up to speed graphics wise?

signalnoise posted:

This wasn't mentioned yet so, if you find it on super duper sale, it's worth mentioning that Star Wars Fallen Order is essentially like, Sekiro Lite. I don't mean it as like a compliment or anything for the game, it is weirdly buggy sometimes and the challenge of the mode above normal, but below "go gently caress yourself" was still really easy for me, but the combat is very clearly based on Sekiro. It uses the same parry timing system and stamina, except you don't kill bosses and stuff by clearing their stamina. That's still the way to open them up for damage, but there's no orb-based stuff. The story is also extremely in the "kids and people whose favorite character is r2d2" kind of vibe in terms of characters, general presentation, all that. A lot of it is just plain silly, but I grew to like that. Overall to me it felt like someone looked around at Sekiro, God of War, and Uncharted and was like "people like this stuff huh? alright I can do that" but didn't really nail any particular part of it.

In any case, it has Sekiro style melee combat, so you should be aware of it.

I beat Fallen Order but the lightsaber combat never really clicked for me. I much preferred to max out my Force Push and then shove everyone I met off a ledge.

Mount and Blade: Bannerlord- Open world strategy rpg simulator with large scale real time tactical battles and complex swordplay. Hits 2 and 4

How is the progression balanced compared to the earlier games? I played the Mount and Blade series before and always got stuck in that middle ground where I didn't get any XP from bandits but even the shittiest baron would absolutely roll me effortlessly.

quote:

Metal Gear Solid V: Phantom Pain- open world stealth action shooter. Very good. Hits 3 and 4

I watched Chip's LP of this, too much Kojima for me.

quote:

Horizon: Zero Dawn- open world survival action game, with robot dinosaurs that take thought and planning to take down. Would say it hits 2, 3 and 4.

This looks interesting, I'll check it out.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Assassin's Creed is my go-to series for when I don't really plan on using my brain for much. The latest 3 games have the biggest, most expansive and immersive open areas, but the whole series is open-world (and the whole series has issues with despite the open world, individual missions being pretty linear). Your options are crusades middle east, Italian renaissance city-states, early modern Rome (that's the one with Da Vinci's tank), Ottoman Istanbul, colonial US, revolutionary US, pirate caribbean, revolution Haiti (which is the closest to killing nazis I guess), revolutionary France, Victorian London, late Ptolemaic Egypt, Peloponnesian War Ancient Greece, and Vikingland. The AC series I think was actually the first to have the parry-based group combat that became pretty popular, and it's gone through a lot of shifts to make things harder or adding in a leveling and skill system, that's always been at the heart.

I've played the AC series quite a bit, but it seems that quality took a dive after Ezio. I beat Odyssey recently and it kind of felt meh. The world was big, but the size felt more like a burden than an asset. Are Origins or Valhalla any better in that regard?

SlothfulCobra posted:

Shadow of Mordor has open-world nonlinear sneaking with a little complexity in the swordplay and it doesn't need a lot of brain to play through. If you really like playing it for long periods of time without turning your brain on, you can go on to play Shadow of War. It's sort of Assassin's Creed in a novel setting and with a procedural army system.

The closest game to shooting nazis with a tank I can recommend is Batman: Arkham Knight, but probably go play the first two Arkham games first, because if you don't like those, you won't see the good in Arkham Knight.

The reviews for Shador of Mordor kept complaining that it's a grindfest designed to push microtransacations, is that actually the case?

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

The reviews for Shador of Mordor kept complaining that it's a grindfest designed to push microtransacations, is that actually the case?

No

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Mordor has no micro transactions. War had them, but it wasn’t bad because of that. It was just far too grindy in general and the micro transactions had no bearing upon that, even if you paid up it’d take just as long.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

How is the progression balanced compared to the earlier games? I played the Mount and Blade series before and always got stuck in that middle ground where I didn't get any XP from bandits but even the shittiest baron would absolutely roll me effortlessly.

There is a LOT more poo poo you can do now, with more robust systems for grouping armies together. You have a Clan that can have multiple war parties led by family members or companions, that will go do their own thing and recruit their own troops, but will come and join you on command to create large armies. If you are a noble in a faction, there is an interface to request other parties to join you from anywhere on the map, they just have to travel to you. In combat, you can also give command over to your sergeants, allowing the pretty drat competent AI to operate your troops so you can focus on fighting.

Basically all of the weird jank and balance problems of Warband have been and are continuing to be addressed, and a lot of new stuff has been added as well (including more robust but easier to understand money making mechanics).

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

War had them, but it wasn’t bad because of that. It was just far too grindy in general and the micro transactions had no bearing upon that, even if you paid up it’d take just as long.

The what grind? There was no grind in Shadow of War. It had an extended post-game in case you wanted a small "true ending" cutscene but there was no grind in that, it was just 20 fortress defense missions.

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy
Are the Dragon Age games worth playing these days? I never got around to it, even though they seem like something I'd normally be into playing through at least once.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Jack Trades posted:

The what grind? There was no grind in Shadow of War. It had an extended post-game in case you wanted a small "true ending" cutscene but there was no grind in that, it was just 20 fortress defense missions.

There's a lot of time you have to spend during the game just to repeatedly take territory and build up your army over and over in each region, and if you wouldn't describe 20 repeated missions as a grind, then I'm not sure what would count. Especially considering 20 missions is the shortened form of the Shadow War.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

FakePoet posted:

Are the Dragon Age games worth playing these days? I never got around to it, even though they seem like something I'd normally be into playing through at least once.

Yeah they are, if only for the setting. Origins definitely feels a little dated but is still good. 2 was never great to begin with. Inquisition is much more modern and holds up.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The best "recent" isometric game by far is Underrail. But it's Fallout-esque setting rather tan DnD / Baldur's Gate, if that plays a role.

FakePoet posted:

Origins is a pretty decent cRPG. The sequel was mostly disliked due to how cheap and simplistic it felt. I wouldn't bother with Inquisition, it has ten hours of mindless MMO grind for every hour of actual content.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Dragon Age is still pretty neat even if it's one of many fantasy RPGs out there. Last series Bioware put out before they kinda just died. I've heard good things about 2. I guess the real question is whether it's worth going through EA's Origin store, because that's the only thing it's on.

I've played the AC series quite a bit, but it seems that quality took a dive after Ezio. I beat Odyssey recently and it kind of felt meh. The world was big, but the size felt more like a burden than an asset. Are Origins or Valhalla any better in that regard?

I think Origins has more of a story to it, and the protagonist has more of his own emotional arc, and they sort of say something more substantial about the relations between ethnic egyptians, the greek ruling class, and the recent Roman occupation. There's still the same sort of Templar conspiracy on both sides like AC always does, but I think it manages to illustrate more. It also might help that the open world is more contiguous so that transit shows the importance of roads and how much they used navigable waterways to the point of having these weird waterway/dirt path intersections. It's also neat when you're out in the desert and get hallucinations.

I haven't played Valhalla, so I can't say much about it.

Shadow of War was more of the grindfest and it used to have microtransactions, and audiences responded so badly to Shadow of War's microtransactions that they got rid of them, and when you buy the game and open it up, they actually put up a little apology for ever having microtransactions.

And you might have fun with Shadow of War, but it's basically the same game as Shadow of Mordor but with more bits attached.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

I liked the first Dragon Age when I played it a few years after it came out. Then I played 2, and made it maybe halfway through Inquisition. Yes, they're worth playing. You'll hear some people say 1 is the best, others say Inquisition is the best. Nobody on the entire internet likes 2 except me and like one other person on this board who doesn't post anymore. But buy Origins with all the DLC, give it a shot. It's good!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

It was pretty grindy before the microtransactions were removed, but when they took them out they reduced the grind since "buy MTX gambling or exp boosts" was their intended way for players to get the rare stuff or to get to high levels or whatever.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

DA2 has serious thematic issues and the combat becomes incredibly repetitive, but its pretty drat impressive considering that the execs imposed a completely insane development schedule of 14 months. Put the difficulty to low the moment you find combat repeating itself. The gimmick of confining an arpg to a single city and having npcs develop as years pass between chapters is cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I have a question that's more in the spirit of "Do you recommend this game for me?"

I bought the Last of Us 2 when it came out but it's still in the shrink-wrap. I've been worried about playing it because, simply put, I wasn't mentally in a "good place" when it came out and I haven't really gotten to a good place since then. I didn't feel like "Bleed and Scream Part 2" was what I needed to be playing.

Am I being overly cautious or is it as brutal and depressing as the trailers (and my memories of the first game) made it seem?