Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
I mean the alternative where you swear off all personal contact and just passive-aggressively doompost seems to be a real favorite for some folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

smackfu posted:

States are realizing they can literally use federal Covid funding to buy tests and they will get them out before the federal free ones.

Is this the funding states claimed was impossible to spend on anything without making people file a mountain of paperwork

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Kaal posted:

I mean the alternative where you swear off all personal contact and just passive-aggressively doompost seems to be a real favorite for some folks.

False dichotomies are always a good sign someone has really thought their position through.

It's not unreasonable to want to wait for the actual risks of repeatedly infecting oneself with a novel virus to become better known. Especially when better technology that can ameliorate some of those effects is likely on the near horizon.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 28, 2021

Driftingmouse
May 26, 2021

by Fritz the Horse
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/grichka-bogdanoff-death-twin-b1983381.html

One of the Bogdanoff twins died of COVID.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420

AHH F/UGH posted:

Look sometimes you just have to keep living life. Quit being such a shut in and moving the goalposts
:goonsay:

You literally think we are at a "worse point than 2020"

I'm sorry that you don't believe vaccines work or whatever, but you don't have to spread misinformation.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Buglord
Tomorrow I get a PCR test done for Covid. For the sake of my own curiosity, will I be able to figure out what variant it is if I am positive? From what I recall, the US isn’t that great at sequencing but I’m not sure if that’s related to this kind of situation.

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007
One of the major healthcare networks in my area are straight up saying if you test positive on a home test, you have covid and not to bother getting a lab test done to confirm.

They also want a DOCTOR'S NOTE to get a PCR test done through their network. wtf?

They are claiming it is because there is such a shortage on tests/ manpower for the testing. Still pretty ridiculous.

This is in the Lehigh Valley, PA.

https://www.lehighvalleylive.com/news/2021/12/lines-for-covid-tests-are-hours-long-so-dont-get-tested-unless-you-need-it.html

If you have symptoms and tested positive with a home COVID test, you don’t need a second laboratory test to confirm you have COVID-19, according to a news release from St. Luke’s.

“Our region is experiencing a surge in demand for testing because of the Omicron variant,” said Jeffrey Jahre, St. Luke’s senior vice president of medical and academic affairs. “We ask for the public’s thoughtful cooperation to ensure our region’s health care resources are available and accessible in a timely manner to those patients with the greatest need.”

You need a note from your doctor to get a laboratory COVID test. Those tests are offered at St. Luke’s Health Network’s emergency rooms and Care Now locations.

If you develop a fever and symptoms such as a cough or difficulty breathing, call your doctor for medical advice, the news release says.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420

buglord posted:

Tomorrow I get a PCR test done for Covid. For the sake of my own curiosity, will I be able to figure out what variant it is if I am positive? From what I recall, the US isn’t that great at sequencing but I’m not sure if that’s related to this kind of situation.

No. Someone who works in a lab can probably anecdotally tell by virtue of what they see hundreds of times a day depending on their methodology. But it doesn't come back on results.

Positive tests get passed on to the likes of state health departments or universities, which may sequence yours if it's among any sample that is sent to them. That we have been lagging behind at/underdoing sequencing is kind of a separate public health issue.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Some Guy From NY posted:

One of the major healthcare networks in my area are straight up saying if you test positive on a home test, you have covid and not to bother getting a lab test done to confirm.

They also want a DOCTOR'S NOTE to get a PCR test done through their network. wtf?

They are claiming it is because there is such a shortage on tests/ manpower for the testing. Still pretty ridiculous.

This is in the Lehigh Valley, PA.

https://www.lehighvalleylive.com/news/2021/12/lines-for-covid-tests-are-hours-long-so-dont-get-tested-unless-you-need-it.html

If you have symptoms and tested positive with a home COVID test, you don’t need a second laboratory test to confirm you have COVID-19, according to a news release from St. Luke’s.

“Our region is experiencing a surge in demand for testing because of the Omicron variant,” said Jeffrey Jahre, St. Luke’s senior vice president of medical and academic affairs. “We ask for the public’s thoughtful cooperation to ensure our region’s health care resources are available and accessible in a timely manner to those patients with the greatest need.”

You need a note from your doctor to get a laboratory COVID test. Those tests are offered at St. Luke’s Health Network’s emergency rooms and Care Now locations.

If you develop a fever and symptoms such as a cough or difficulty breathing, call your doctor for medical advice, the news release says.

TBH this is probably a sensible way of doing things in an Omicron world - LFDs so rarely false-positive that there's not much point in getting a PCR, or rather not much point leaving isolation to get a test that doesn't actually change the medical situation. If it were the other way round and LFDs tended to throw out false positives and a PCR could confirm you weren't actually infected and so didn't need to isolate then that's a different matter, but you might as well treat a positive LFD as a positive PCR and save the PCR capacity (and risk of infecting other people) for higher-risk cases (e.g. people about to go into hospital for non-covid related treatment where the much more sensitive test is worthwhile).

To the best of my knowledge there's no generally-available and accepted treatment that actually improves the prognosis of someone who's asymptomatic so it probably is better for people with a positive LFD to just skip the PCR bit; of course this assumes that everything else is functioning normally and particularly that people are really carefully instructed on what point they should seek out further advice - AIUI the sweet spot for monoclonals is as close as possible to the onset of symptoms *but not before*, but I'm not sure if by "symptoms" they mean the low-grade cold symptoms of a mild case or if it's okay to wait for less-mild symptoms to show themselves.

Of course what we actually need is much more sensitive home tests because it *seems* like Omicron doesn't show up on LFDs until you've been contagious for a day or two which is better than nothing but a test system that gives you almost-guaranteed detection of infection as soon as, or even before, you're infectious is the actual way out of this now we've decided that getting our treats is more important than the global pandemic.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Gotta love anticovid chuds popping into this thread every few days :allears:

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

TBH this is probably a sensible way of doing things in an Omicron world - LFDs so rarely false-positive that there's not much point in getting a PCR, or rather not much point leaving isolation to get a test that doesn't actually change the medical situation. If it were the other way round and LFDs tended to throw out false positives and a PCR could confirm you weren't actually infected and so didn't need to isolate then that's a different matter, but you might as well treat a positive LFD as a positive PCR and save the PCR capacity (and risk of infecting other people) for higher-risk cases (e.g. people about to go into hospital for non-covid related treatment where the much more sensitive test is worthwhile).

To the best of my knowledge there's no generally-available and accepted treatment that actually improves the prognosis of someone who's asymptomatic so it probably is better for people with a positive LFD to just skip the PCR bit; of course this assumes that everything else is functioning normally and particularly that people are really carefully instructed on what point they should seek out further advice - AIUI the sweet spot for monoclonals is as close as possible to the onset of symptoms *but not before*, but I'm not sure if by "symptoms" they mean the low-grade cold symptoms of a mild case or if it's okay to wait for less-mild symptoms to show themselves.

Of course what we actually need is much more sensitive home tests because it *seems* like Omicron doesn't show up on LFDs until you've been contagious for a day or two which is better than nothing but a test system that gives you almost-guaranteed detection of infection as soon as, or even before, you're infectious is the actual way out of this now we've decided that getting our treats is more important than the global pandemic.

It's pretty much a signal of one of two things

America anticipates that this is endemic and it's assumed that most people will have caught it, and it probably does not matter if or how you verify it because it will not impact your treatment or outcome unless you have a severe case or significant comobordities
or
America anticipates that this is endemic and it's assumed that most people will have caught it, and the medical-insurance complex is working to invent ways to deny your long-covid coverage in the future such as your at-home test is invalid to demonstrate that you factually had it at some point in time

I'm just kidding, it's both!

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006
I’m trying to buy some 3M auras on their website and it is requiring me to “acknowledge that these products are for industrial/occupational use only, and not for consumer sale or use, and verify that I am an industrial/occupational user.”
I assume this is just for liability purposes, right? I’m not gonna get screwed over somehow for checking this box fully intending to wear these bad boys wherever my little heart desires?

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

If it's following the same pattern as last year (and so far the Thanksgiving dip, post-Thanksgiving spike and Christmas dip have followed the 2020 pattern either exactly or within a day or so of the same dates) then we're still in the Christmas dip and the post-Christmas spike won't start for another day or so. Last year's post-Christmas spike started December 30 and peaked on January 11.

That 2021 "Christmas Dip" appears to be less of a "dip" and more of a, uh, "vertical line."

naem
May 29, 2011

just yell out “industrial purposes” a lot like michael scott declaring bankruptcy

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Cretin90 posted:

I’m trying to buy some 3M auras on their website and it is requiring me to “acknowledge that these products are for industrial/occupational use only, and not for consumer sale or use, and verify that I am an industrial/occupational user.”
I assume this is just for liability purposes, right? I’m not gonna get screwed over somehow for checking this box fully intending to wear these bad boys wherever my little heart desires?
Can’t comment specifically on that box, but lots of places are still doing the “shame civilians for taking N95s from HCWs” thing when it’s actually lovely hospital admins who are preventing their employees from wearing proper masks. So some sellers are going through the charade about making you confirm that you “need” the PPE (note, at this point, everyone does who has human contact).

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006
I am going to occasionally wear these at work, so I… declare… occupational usage.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Pinecone Sample posted:

Positive tests get passed on to the likes of state health departments or universities, which may sequence yours if it's among any sample that is sent to them.

This happened to me and it's how I found out I had omicron. A dude who I gathered is pretty high up in the Miami health department called me up directly to do some digging into how I'd got it, as he was seeing a huge spike in cases & it was mostly the new variant.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

styls trill epic posted:

They cut the quarantine time from 10 to 5 days, no federal help whatsoever. Biden's covid response continues to be worse than trumps lol :hmm:

Yes... Telling everyone to get vaccinated and boosted and to wear masks is a much worse response than telling people to take bleach and that the virus is no big deal and will be gone in a few weeks you stupid gently caress.

CDC is doing a horrible job but they were under Trump as well.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Wendigee posted:

Yes... Telling everyone to get vaccinated and boosted and to wear masks is a much worse response than telling people to take bleach and that the virus is no big deal and will be gone in a few weeks you stupid gently caress.

CDC is doing a horrible job but they were under Trump as well.

Surprised it took over a page to get someone to bite on that

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
I'm a little salty over being told I'm an idiot for advising to use the CDC guidelines as a baseline but be more cautious than what they recommend. Now I'm being proven right by even more people getting sick or worse and it's an awful feeling.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Instead of the CDC/medical advisors, have you tried putting your trust in Jesus instead?

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
They CONTROL the disease... It's in the name!!!

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

styls trill epic posted:

They cut the quarantine time from 10 to 5 days, no federal help whatsoever. Biden's covid response continues to be worse than trumps lol :hmm:

Ok, thanks trump supporter, hope covid wipes out your family.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

beef sweat posted:

gently caress the unvaccinated.

That’s all I have to say

That's how you get Covid tho

Maybe if both wear masks and strictly doggy style, in a well ventilated room...

:goonsay:

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

CitizenKain posted:

Ok, thanks trump supporter, hope covid wipes out your family.

:blastu: gottem

Skyscraper Raccoon
Jun 12, 2018

Started from the bottom, now we here
I put the 'long' in Long Covid, baby

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

https://twitter.com/superactionfunb/status/1475914104384606208?s=20

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

https://twitter.com/MalwareDare/status/1475890862081064961?s=20

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
This thread is the exact epicenter of know-it-all goons, snarky comments, and catty slap flights, and I love it.

Edit: voted 5

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.
I’ll play

https://twitter.com/dataandpolitics/status/1476030346307145731?s=21

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

on my death bed when my grandchildren approach in my final moments they will say "dearest elder, tell us your greatest regret" and I will whisper "not seeing the fourth matrix movie in theaters", then they'll respond "you stupid old gently caress, you suck" and that is what will kill me

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I never thought Trump's surgeon general would be the voice of reason over the CDC but here we are.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

beef sweat posted:

That’s all I have to say

I think you'll find it is the unvaccinated who ultimately gently caress us when the 60% IFR Upsilon variant is unveiled at Sturgis '22.

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

infection+double vax+infection+booster+infection should be your current goal.

Gonna do my part and attend one of those stuffy indoor NYE dance parties where you can smell everyone's booze breath the second you enter the room.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

beef sweat posted:

That’s all I have to say

One of my uncles is unvaxxed (partly because he's :tinfoil: but mostly because he's a smug contrarian rear end in a top hat) and my aunt has to go in for cancer surgery next month. Not only won't he be allowed in the hospital to visit her at all but he won't be even be allowed to care for her after she's discharged, and my elderly father is thinking about traveling interstate to help care for her.

Absolutely loving maddening.

Mne nravitsya
Jul 14, 2017

Correction: one of the Bogdanoffs has ascended

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Castaign posted:

That 2021 "Christmas Dip" appears to be less of a "dip" and more of a, uh, "vertical line."

Yeah we should probably call it an "artificially lowered case reporting period" or something

The post-Christmas 'spike' definitely seems to be starting now:

https://twitter.com/MarkLevineNYC/status/1475924105891307527
https://twitter.com/GovKathyHochul/status/1475908924964548615

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Dec 29, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Yeah we should probably call it an "artificially lowered case reporting period" or something

Inaction Acquired Insensibility

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Nearly had our first million global cases day

prom candy posted:

We'll get there don't worry

I forgot to check and it looks like we just topped it a few times around Christmas and then yesterday BOOM

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

The USA alone accounted for over a quarter of that

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Fingers crossed that this brings back Bizonacci.

He's probably dead, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Seriously though, the point in the graph marked "Christmas Dip" literally appears to be a straight line leaping straight up. Am I misreading this or is that :thejoke:?