Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Open Marriage Night posted:

In some countries. In America during the 1940’s, it was a V for Victory hand sign.

Yeah, but generally facing the other way. According to Wikipedia, at least.

Page snipe! From one of the Curse of the Mutants issues.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Cable #6

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, the Victory sign was also in the UK but it's reversed. Think the 'peace' sign but more emphatic.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Batman: Urban Legends #10

I like that the lady in green is somehow disappointed she didn't get to be in a knife fight

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

TwoPair posted:

I like that the lady in green is somehow disappointed she didn't get to be in a knife fight

That is an extremely odd pose to be jumping out of the building, especially when you were just on the floor.

Also give her back her knife, Nightwing, she was using that

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TwoPair posted:

Well, duh, she's not a thief like that vigilante, Nightwing!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Honestly, Doug and his Large Wife are the best thing and I really enjoy them.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

thetoughestbean posted:

That is an extremely odd pose to be jumping out of the building, especially when you were just on the floor.

I could see it if he swung up and out through a skylight and was kicking his legs up to clear the frame

Take that with a grain of salt though, I have all the acrobatic ability of a sack of wet yams

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Phy posted:

I could see it if he swung up and out through a skylight and was kicking his legs up to clear the frame

Take that with a grain of salt though, I have all the acrobatic ability of a sack of wet yams

Yeah but he’s not swinging on anything!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

All the people in this thread who have leapt up and out a higher-floor window feet first, raise your hand.

That's what I thought.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Phy posted:

In the next panel he's up in the rafters of the building (it's a big building) so I'm thinking just happened to... I don't know, get his grapple hook away between panels. Makes about as much sense as anything about Nightwing's magic escrima sticks that are also grapple guns.

ANYWAY

from Tis The Season To Be Freezin'

e: follow up

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Dec 24, 2021

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Does DC Santa use the Speed Force plus other magic or does he have his own Santa Force that covers everything?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Delete that post. Geoff Johns might see it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

TwoPair posted:

In the next panel he's up in the rafters of the building (it's a big building) so I'm thinking just happened to... I don't know, get his grapple hook away between panels. Makes about as much sense as anything about Nightwing's magic escrima sticks that are also grapple guns.

ANYWAY

from Tis The Season To Be Freezin'

e: follow up

Reminds me of that story where Superman was going to dress as Santa but Batman convinced him not to and then showed up as Santa Batman.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
DC Santa is canonically faster than Darkseid.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
So every year, Mike Maihack (Cleopatra in Space) does a little Christmas comic featuring Batgirl and Supergirl. Here is this year's comic from his Instagram I know this is technically fanart, but no one has posted in the fanart thread since July.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

The_Other posted:

So every year, Mike Maihack (Cleopatra in Space) does a little Christmas comic featuring Batgirl and Supergirl. Here is this year's comic from his Instagram I know this is technically fanart, but no one has posted in the fanart thread since July.

This is incredibly cute

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/MIKECOLLINS99/status/1473983873159675911

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Did Peter Cullen ever say that line and I'm remembering it or is it just so natural to be able to imagine it?

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Saoshyant posted:

Man, all those stupid little jokes. I miss the Lost Light crew so much.

I just finished a re-read, after getting the 3rd party Rung, and it's still really good comics.

I love that strip, Megatrons' Autobrand gets a little hat!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Superboy #85 (1960)

The Punisher #14 (1988)

And a letter that's more 'funny bizarre' (considering DC's art quality in the late '50s) than 'funny ha-ha'.

Superboy #85 (1960)

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Darthemed posted:

Superboy #85 (1960)

found him /s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQB1JYPPwcE

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Someone post the Final Crisis edit.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
Got you covered:

Vincent posted:

Alternate ending:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Seriously almost every time I hear the song "Santa Claus is coming to town" my mind jumps to "Nothing like Santa has ever come among you, nothing will again".

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Spidey Super Stories #34 (1978)

Flaming Carrot Comics #18 (1988)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Journey into Mystery #44 (1957)

Hercules: Prince of Power #2 (1982)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Superboy #85 (1960)

Superboy #86 (1961)
Just blaring out the kid's personal life to all the other readers.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Darthemed posted:

They used to print the actual street address of kids so fans could write each other letters.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
There's a weird letter in an early Hudnall-era Alpha Flight where a guy straight up asks Marvel for the address of a woman who wrote in. I'll see if I can dive back in and find it, it was really wild.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There is an extremely high probability that someone wrote in voicing their opinion of something and it angered another read so much he tracked them down via their address (conveniently supplied in the letter pages) and murdered them.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

A best of letters columns thread could be fun for a minute. With such hits as:

Ed Brubaker telling the Firestorm team they don’t understand punk.

George R.R. Martin criticizes an early issue of the Fantastic Four

Geoff Johns foreshadowing his big change to Superboy

Some guy arguing that Iron Man should be libertarian because he’s a business owner, and should only save people if it will personally impact him.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rhyno posted:

There is an extremely high probability that someone wrote in voicing their opinion of something and it angered another read so much he tracked them down via their address (conveniently supplied in the letter pages) and murdered them.

"So... I hear you don't like Team America..." :flame:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

They used to print the actual street address of kids so fans could write each other letters.

That is adorable in its naivete

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

TwoPair posted:

That is adorable in its naivete

Newspapers don't even print new birth notices anymore out of fear of kidnappers targeting newborns. Some papers don't even print death notices right away because of scammers preying on grieving families.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
I was reading through my old InQuest magazines from the 90s that I thought had been long thrown out, and every letters page had pen pals listings with ages and addresses along the bottom of the page, it was extremely weird.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Darthemed posted:

Superboy #85 (1960)

Superboy #86 (1961)

Just gonna skip over Dick Hunter from Pound Ridge, huh?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I had a letter printed in a Spidey issue when I was... 9 or 10 I guess, and all that happened was I'd occasionally get sent a sample issue of Wizard or whatever, or increased ads for sci-fi book clubs.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Embarrassing confession time: I sent a letter to one of those letter writers and we exchanged a few letters back and forth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

In a time before the internet, writing to people you'd seen in letters columns was actually a method of dweeb cross-pollenation. It's completely unnecessary now, but back in those days, fan clubs and zines and conventions and friendships got started because someone saw someone else's take on Spider-Man circa 1967.