Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
You can definitely still get weird visual errors due to transmission problems. Given the specific symptoms in this case it seems most likely to be a software issue. I would try turning G-Sync windowed mode support off and seeing if that helps. Try a different video player. Try different videos. Try to capture it in screenshots or screen recordings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Rinkles posted:

You think there's any chance of prices coming back to normal within the next half year?

2023 before we start seeing a noticeable difference (consoles in stores, GPUs within 10-20% of original msrp, etc)

2024+ to completely move on from the chip shortage including supply chains, existing elevated demand and raw material costs all going back to pre-pandemic levels

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

3080ti FE available in Annapolis BestBuy app, for any midAtlantic goons out there…might be there when they open in the AM

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

2023 before we start seeing a noticeable difference (consoles in stores, GPUs within 10-20% of original msrp, etc)

2024+ to completely move on from the chip shortage including supply chains, existing elevated demand and raw material costs all going back to pre-pandemic levels

A little off-topic, but I can't help but think how much of a bullet Nintendo dodged by deciding not to launch a new console or "pro edition" of their existing one and keep using less desirable chips and screens for the Switch.

The PS5 and XSX have seemed to kneecap themselves, and I'm afraid that developers will be hesitant to make game that truly grab the bull by those systems horns as they will continue to remain in limited supply and high-end PC gaming wanes.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

A little off-topic, but I can't help but think how much of a bullet Nintendo dodged by deciding not to launch a new console or "pro edition" of their existing one and keep using less desirable chips and screens for the Switch.

The PS5 and XSX have seemed to kneecap themselves, and I'm afraid that developers will be hesitant to make game that truly grab the bull by those systems horns as they will continue to remain in limited supply and high-end PC gaming wanes.

The idea that fewer people are buying the PS5/XSX is completely unfounded. They're selling in record numbers, outpacing the XBO/PS4's first year by a good amount.

"In limited supply" doesn't mean less of them are being made. It just means not enough of them are being made to meet the demand, which is higher than ever before right now. The same goes for GPUs, of course (though their peak was decades ago lol)

edit: I'm focusing mainly on the new consoles, which are selling very well. So to be fair, older consoles are being manufactured in lower numbers and that's contributing to lower overall hardware sales, but the PS5 hit 13.4 million sales through september, while the PS4 apparently hit 13.5 million sales in november of the year after its launch, so the PS5 is two months ahead at least. The point about lower overall hardware sales when accounting for the previous console gen dragging down software sales is valid, though. edit 2: actually, that venture beat article says total video game revenue including hardware and software sales are up YTD in 2021 so... yeah. that checks out. Console gaming is going strong, actually.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Dec 29, 2021

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

So one of my fans on my EVGA 3080 Ti does not spin and reports zero rpm while also reporting a fan % of not zero.

Then often it will just slam 2500rpm and then back down to being off.

Google tells me there are all kinds of problems with EVGA cards and single fans but everyone is talking about "fan3"

My bad fan is "fan1."

Do I have a dying fan and need a RMA or should I be trying bios things?

edit: Setting a fixed speed like 25% 50% or 60% on the fan does the same behavior. Zero for 10 seconds and then a single rev up.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Dec 29, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

You most likely need to replace the fan. This is something you may be able to do yourself if you feel comfortable opening up your card. Despite having that same card, I'm not entirely sure how the fans are connected, but this usually isn't too complicated of a task. Maybe hit up EVGA and ask if they can send a replacement fan (or do a whole RMA if you would rather have them repair it)

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The idea that fewer people are buying the PS5/XSX is completely unfounded. They're selling in record numbers, outpacing the XBO/PS4's first year by a good amount.

"In limited supply" doesn't mean less of them are being made. It just means not enough of them are being made to meet the demand, which is higher than ever before right now. The same goes for GPUs, of course (though their peak was decades ago lol)

edit: I'm focusing mainly on the new consoles, which are selling very well. So to be fair, older consoles are being manufactured in lower numbers and that's contributing to lower overall hardware sales, but the PS5 hit 13.4 million sales through september, while the PS4 apparently hit 13.5 million sales in november of the year after its launch, so the PS5 is two months ahead at least. The point about lower overall hardware sales when accounting for the previous console gen dragging down software sales is valid, though. edit 2: actually, that venture beat article says total video game revenue including hardware and software sales are up YTD in 2021 so... yeah. that checks out. Console gaming is going strong, actually.

The PS5/XSX are being produced less than the PS4/XBO were in 2014:

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/1470383392340549635

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I guess there's a sudden supply shock then that's separate from the ongoing crisis? Because for the rest of the year they've been producing the new consoles in surprising quantities.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You most likely need to replace the fan. This is something you may be able to do yourself if you feel comfortable opening up your card. Despite having that same card, I'm not entirely sure how the fans are connected, but this usually isn't too complicated of a task. Maybe hit up EVGA and ask if they can send a replacement fan (or do a whole RMA if you would rather have them repair it)

I registered the card and opened a support ticket.

Hard to believe a fan could die after 2 months so it could be software.

Its always kept very cold and I work a lot so it doesn't get used a ton.

The fan feels fine when the card is off.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It could also just be a loose connector or something that vibrated out of its header a bit. If it feels fine mechanically, then it could also be an electrical problem within the motor hub (which could be another vibration-related failure). Though really, I think fans are one of those things where either they die within the first few months, or they last for years.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

punk rebel ecks posted:

The PS5/XSX are being produced less than the PS4/XBO were in 2014:

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/1470383392340549635

I can't access the business wire link that is being used as a source, but I don't think you can really interpret that Twitter hot take or that venturebeat link to try and say that either console isn't being successful.

You should look at VGChartz's sales data compilations and play around with the plots: https://www.vgchartz.com/tools/hw_date.php?reg=Global&ending=Monthly

Up until the final November 2021 sales data reported in, the PS5 was outpacing the PS4's first-year sales, and if you do equal-month comparisons, the PS5 only fell behind by I think about 500K units. If you limit the graph to the PS4 and PS5, and look at their first year sales, you'll notice that in general, the PS5 is selling more per month in the "weak" months of the year, i.e. not the holiday sales season, than the PS4 did, up until Fall/Winter 2014.

You'll also notice that PS4 sales began seeing spikes in August 2014 through the end of the year, which is back-to-school and then holidays. Sony, just like Microsoft, would almost certainly have signed contracts to increase manufacturing in the months leading up to the peak sales season, obviously, which in 2014 was able to occur.

But as many know, the industry has been struggling with supply constraints, drought issues in Taiwan, Samsung's fab issues in places, etc., and so it's very likely that Sony wasn't able to get the same type of manufacturing ramp up as in years past, which is why the PS5's data is more stable but plateaued to an extent.

So while, yes, as of present, it looks like fewer PS5s have been produced than PS4s at this point in each's respective lifecycles, I'm not sure it's really worth exaggerating the impact this will have on game development.

When you look at the Xbox Series S/X, the combined sales of the system are outpacing the Xbox One's sales to this point in the life cycle. Obviously a share of that is the cheaper (and more easily available) Xbox Series S, but regardless, for full month sales to this point in each's life cycle, the Xbox Series S/X has outsold the Xbox One by about 700K units.

The Xbox Series S/X did see some spikes in October-December so far; whether these were due to Microsoft stashing supply for the Halo Infinite launch, or having procured additional manufacturing in the lead up to the 2021 Holiday Season, I don't know. The peaks weren't as high as the Xbox One saw comparatively, but, you know, supply chain constraints.

So to Dr. Video Games's points, it does appear (and I think anyone spending time on Discords, forums, etc., can confirm) that both companies are selling consoles as fast as they can get them out to resellers, it's just that the overall supply chain is hosed.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

SourKraut posted:

So to Dr. Video Games's points, it does appear (and I think anyone spending time on Discords, forums, etc., can confirm) that both companies are selling consoles as fast as they can get them out to resellers, it's just that the overall supply chain is hosed.

It's been years since I was obsessed with game sales data, but VGChartz was notable for being very unreliable.

Regardless I'm not disputing that the PS5/XSX aren't in demand, just that there are supply chain issues that will really hurt their potential growth. And the holidays may seem to indicate that these issues are getting notably worse now.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

I just realized I can test if it’s a dead fan or a dead power deliver by swapping the plugs that power the fans.

It would be nice to be able to prove it’s just a dead fan and have them send out another.

I’ll give it a shot tomorrow morning.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

If you plug a neighboring fan into the non-functioning fan's header and it still doesn't work, then that's a problem. The worst case would be an issue with the on-board fan controller, which would necessitate sending it in for an RMA.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

forbidden dialectics posted:

Yeah, I've seen the same thing. Video game launchers (FFXIV, for example) also gets extremely laggy when this option is enabled.

Well I learned something new today. As I find that FFXIV performs far worse in fullscreen for some reason, I downloaded and used Nvidia Profile Inspector solely for the purpose of flagging Windowed GSync on for it.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

punk rebel ecks posted:

It's been years since I was obsessed with game sales data, but VGChartz was notable for being very unreliable.

Regardless I'm not disputing that the PS5/XSX aren't in demand, just that there are supply chain issues that will really hurt their potential growth. And the holidays may seem to indicate that these issues are getting notably worse now.

Given that each console life cycle goes for at least 6-7 years now, I think it's reaching to project long-term growth impact from current supply chain constraints. As a reminder, it's typically multiple years into a console's lifecycle before either company has looked to use process node improvements. Right now 5nm and 7nm are in high demand for TSMC, but you should start to see more 7nm capacity available in 2022 and then additional 5nm in 2023, which should improve availability for both Microsoft and Sony. Customers such as Apple will see premier product lines move to the latest node, while TSMC has more fab capacity coming online between 2022-2024, not to even mention Samsung and Intel also entering into the foundry business.

And again, the holidays don't really tell us much: if they can manufacturer 2M units, and demand is 4M units, then they're going to sell those 2M units, and it sucks for the other 2M, who will have to then wait until 2022 to get their console. And demand will probably continue to go up during that time, but units will probably still sell out as fast as they hit store shelves.

if anything, it's a good thing, because it might give Sony and Microsoft the confidence to try and purchase additional manufacturing capacity if/when possible to help meet demand.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

My best guess is that they've been producing at max capacity for the last year straight, pumping out every console they feasibly can. This means that up until november, their sales have been stronger than the previous console launch, but that also means they can't go any higher to meet holiday demand. Sony and MS typically ship a larger than usual number of consoles for black friday, but they had to make do with their slightly-elevated-but-not-elevated-enough production volumes for this year. Overall, the numbers in the Venture Beat article itself show that sales YTD are very good for Sony and MS. I don't know if we can draw any conclusions that say that there's a sudden huge supply crisis beyond the one that they were already addressing with the YOY dip for november as the main data point. If sales continue to be below the norm for the next few months, then you can say there's a new, even worse supply problem now.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 29, 2021

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

K8.0 posted:

You can definitely still get weird visual errors due to transmission problems. Given the specific symptoms in this case it seems most likely to be a software issue. I would try turning G-Sync windowed mode support off and seeing if that helps. Try a different video player. Try different videos. Try to capture it in screenshots or screen recordings.

Could this be a system RAM issue? I've also had some kernel-power sudden shutdowns about once a month.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Also the Switch selling less than it did last year, doesn't necessarily imply some doom supply scenario.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I know this is the GPU thread, but what visual effects in games demand the most of the CPU? I'm aware that my 3090 outpaces my i7-9700K and I do intend to upgrade the latter at some point soon, but until then which things should I consider turning down if I am not achieving constant FPS?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Shadows and draw distance are the two big ones

Sound settings tend to have an impact, reducing sound quality and sound channels if the game has options for those can reduce CPU usage

That said, your 9700K is fine and I wouldn't consider it a drag on your 3090 at all, if anything it's still the opposite unless you're gaming at lower resolutions. I would bet good money that at 1440p and above, your 3090 is hitting limits long before your 9700k is.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

bananas

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Is my understanding that the benefits of the 3080Ti aren’t necessarily “worth it” like the situation with the 3070 cards correct? It looks like one of the BB’s in my area has one sitting around but I’m not sure it’s worth the 2 grand they’re asking for. Userbenchmark makes it look like I’d be better off holding out.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
3080ti is not a good value compared to the 3080 vanilla, the extra performance is not worth the extra price. But it is all somewhat relative. If you have money to burn and are looking to upgrade from something like a 2080ti or 2080 super a 3080ti seems more attractive, as your card is worth a stupid amount of resale, and the 3080 isn't a huge jump over the previous gen top end, as well as being a RAM downgrade. The higher resolution you play at the easier it is to justify. And right now it's been possible to just sell your used card for the new price, so the "risk" is low.

That said, no, $2000 on a 3080ti seems ridiculous

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 29, 2021

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

bus hustler posted:

3080ti is not a good value compared to the 3080 vanilla, the extra performance is not worth the extra price. But it is all somewhat relative. If you have money to burn and are looking to upgrade from something like a 2080ti or 2080 super a 3080ti seems more attractive, as your card is worth a stupid amount of resale, and the 3080 isn't a huge jump over the previous gen top end, as well as being a RAM downgrade. The higher resolution you play at the easier it is to justify. And right now it's been possible to just sell your used card for the new price, so the "risk" is low.

The 3080 does not exist.

Thats the real reason you get the 3080 Ti.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I was able to sell my non-lhr 3080 for like $500 more than it cost to move to an available 3080ti. If not for that I'd still be rocking the 3080. At MSRP prices the 3080ti isn't worth it, but that's not the world we live in.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
I think it's kind of funny that there's been a 3080ti sitting in the closest best buy for like a week at this point. Apparently nobody else wants that thing for that price either.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Warbird posted:

Is my understanding that the benefits of the 3080Ti aren’t necessarily “worth it” like the situation with the 3070 cards correct? It looks like one of the BB’s in my area has one sitting around but I’m not sure it’s worth the 2 grand they’re asking for. Userbenchmark makes it look like I’d be better off holding out.

uhhhh FE is the only time you should consider. Mayhbe ECGA if desperate but even then

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I grew up having a mid range GPU because it was what I could afford and there was diminishing returns as you went up the range. It was lost money.

In today's crazy world we are a mere custodian of the GPU and the one you go for depends only on what you can get your hands on and how much we're willing to be out of pocket whilst it's in your charge. I'd be absolutely insane to have a £1400 GPU if it was going to be used and discarded, but I'm betting I'll be able to sell it for more than that in a year's time. It's why I went from 3080 Ti to 3090 for virtually no performance increase.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

spunkshui posted:

I just realized I can test if it’s a dead fan or a dead power deliver by swapping the plugs that power the fans.

It would be nice to be able to prove it’s just a dead fan and have them send out another.

I’ll give it a shot tomorrow morning.

Results are in: dead fan

Changing the plugs caused the "fan 1" to work correctly and now "fan 2" is stuck at zero.

I sent in another ticket with that info.

Does anyone have experience getting just a fan sent out for something like a 2 month old gpu?

Should I be starting the RMA forms and clicking "just send me a fan" or wait till support looks at the tickets?

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 29, 2021

Warbird
May 23, 2012

bus hustler posted:

Coming from a now exploded 1080 so it would be a decent jump but lol at having resale value. Did get 200 for selling it for parts at least.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/nvidiageforce/status/1476251052315922432

Just got posted on Twitter. If it’s the 40 series I may just try and get in the queue, assuming there is one, and hoping for the best. That said I expect this is a “tick” to the 30 series “tock” so ehhh….

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Warbird posted:

Just got posted on Twitter. If it’s the 40 series I may just try and get in the queue, assuming there is one, and hoping for the best. That said I expect this is a “tick” to the 30 series “tock” so ehhh….

Probably those rumored 3000 series vram upgrades (and corresponding FE markups)

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Yeah all the rumours around the RTX 3050 desktop version and refreshes of the higher end cards pointed to early January announcement and late January release

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I've already got my friends' rigs sorted out at this point but go on Nvidia, do it. Be a hero. Release an RTX 3050 that doesn't require a PCI-E power connector.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

spunkshui posted:

Results are in: dead fan

Changing the plugs caused the "fan 1" to work correctly and now "fan 2" is stuck at zero.

I sent in another ticket with that info.

Does anyone have experience getting just a fan sent out for something like a 2 month old gpu?

Should I be starting the RMA forms and clicking "just send me a fan" or wait till support looks at the tickets?

In my experience, EVGA is more swift with service requests when you call them and speak to one of their customer service reps. When I had to request RMA for my 3080 last time, I called them and they processed everything that same day while we were on the phone.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Warbird posted:

3090ti maybe?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

mA posted:

In my experience, EVGA is more swift with service requests when you call them and speak to one of their customer service reps. When I had to request RMA for my 3080 last time, I called them and they processed everything that same day while we were on the phone.

Thanks, that does sound like a good idea.

Meanwhile, introducing the worlds first EVGA GeForce RTX 3080Ti Noctua Edition :whatup:

Featuring a totally toolless mounting solution of shoving a 150mm fan between a USB expansion card and your hobbled $1500 GPU. It even has compatibility with your existing GPU riser if its this exact one.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Dec 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Antonline bad I guess but refresh, a new one showed up for 3080 ti https://www.antonline.com/Evga/Computers/Video_Cards/Graphic_Cards/1441333