Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

What exactly you're fighting in Loop Hero also matters a lot. Slimes drop garbage loot for example (and why it's important to replace their spawns asap). Almost always grey and always several levels below loop level. Scorch worms, though...always yellow quality or better and at least loop level or better in item level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
I actually went completely the other way in loop hero and would try to spawn tons of monsters on a few tiles. spider + vampire + zombie villages. Anything strong like skeletons or ranged mobs I'd try to keep close to the fire for free damage from archers, and you need to kill 4+ mobs in a combat for one of the resources. I played mostly rogue and went for trying as hard as possible to keep damage high, and generally you're better off just going with whatever the highest bonus is. Evasion I was never a huge fan of, and spamming speed until you just chain smash everything in one hit before it attacks unless you fatigue out got me all the way through the game. This works especially well if you dedicate the biggest empty corner of your map to suburbs so you can get tons of exp per loop and just smash your way through with some good traits.

Most of your choices for tiles should be tied to resources you need for new town buildings though, and learning the combos you can place (like field next to whatever) will get you a lot of extra resources. I've always liked arsenal as a golden card, and treasuries are great if you create a place where you can make a grid of them 2 apart and blast them all open before you go back to town. For placing things next to strong enemies or things that resurrect, consider getting a blood grove (great in little nooks next to the road) to autokill and bypass the chance. It's also aces to have one next to the campfire to effectively lower boss hp by 15%, and although they hit hard the blood golems drop good loot. When going for magic shards, I prefer the bookery to the temporal beacon.

Since you're early, focus more on resources gained and try to climb the village tech tree, and don't forget a lot of buildings can be upgraded. The ability to tune your deck and get the types of monsters you need from combos will help you accelerate a lot, and getting a bunch of artifacts helps a lot.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yeah, you want to be smashing as many monsters as you can handle all the time because monsters scale with the number of times you go around the loop but you scale with the number of monsters killed. How you do this will vary between builds because sometimes you might want everything evenly spread out, other times you might want clumps of encounters with 'dead' areas between for regen. Also, always experiment with combinations of stuff next to each other, because there's a bunch of interactions that are really useful for some builds and really harmful for others - for example, if your build includes life leech maybe don't put in the tile that inverts it, but on the other hand if you don't then stacking life leech mobs will have them killing themselves for you.
If you find expanding the village is a pain, all the resources are tied to tiles so you can assemble your deck and build to target farm them in a few loops rather than just running attempts at the boss and getting what you get - the bosses also have gimmicks that you can build to cheese if you find you're struggling on the numbers.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Idle skilling:

So you have cards and card sets, where you can automatically equip different sets of cards when you're on different screens.

Does this means that like, you can keep all your damage/accuracy/monster drop cards on when you're looking at fighting, and then when you go to the training screen it'll auto-swap in a set with a bunch of %rep speed and %exp gain or w/e and it will calculate your away gains as if you had those cards on the whole time?

Basically are cards calculated constantly or only when you go collect rewards?

It seems like it'd be rad if I could have 10 different sets that would get equipped for every zone I looked at to be MAXIMUM OPTIMAL, otherwise you just pick your 10 best cards and keep them on forever.

Jehuti
Nov 19, 2010

Agent355 posted:

Idle skilling:

So you have cards and card sets, where you can automatically equip different sets of cards when you're on different screens.

Does this means that like, you can keep all your damage/accuracy/monster drop cards on when you're looking at fighting, and then when you go to the training screen it'll auto-swap in a set with a bunch of %rep speed and %exp gain or w/e and it will calculate your away gains as if you had those cards on the whole time?

Basically are cards calculated constantly or only when you go collect rewards?

It seems like it'd be rad if I could have 10 different sets that would get equipped for every zone I looked at to be MAXIMUM OPTIMAL, otherwise you just pick your 10 best cards and keep them on forever.

Im pretty sure cards are calculated when youre on that screen, so aslong as you have the the cards on before you hit the screen (or have the auto switching set up) you'll get the full benefit as if you've had them on the whole time.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Jehuti posted:

Im pretty sure cards are calculated when youre on that screen, so aslong as you have the the cards on before you hit the screen (or have the auto switching set up) you'll get the full benefit as if you've had them on the whole time.

That's correct. You'll quickly get to a point where you're hitting the Cards screen in between any transition to change your equipped cards to optimize gains.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Kyrosiris posted:

That's correct. You'll quickly get to a point where you're hitting the Cards screen in between any transition to change your equipped cards to optimize gains.

That's why the unlocks to assign a card set to a given screen are so valuable. Given enough gems you never need to manually swap card sets and also that's way too much work anyway.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I will definitely throw gems at a problem to solve micromanaging. It's so worth it for my brain.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Just be aware, that last I checked, there were two screens that didn’t play nice with the Auto-Switching, Botany and Pets I believe. The code is bugged so it only does the switch of gear/cards after the afk calc is already completed for those screens. You’ll want to manually change your decks around before you visit those screens.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Another idle skilling question.

The pet bonuses that level up by putting pets into the little glass jars on the research screen. Are those global bonuses that are always active even once you remove the pet, or do you have to choose which bonuses you want to have active by putting pets in there.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Agent355 posted:

Another idle skilling question.

The pet bonuses that level up by putting pets into the little glass jars on the research screen. Are those global bonuses that are always active even once you remove the pet, or do you have to choose which bonuses you want to have active by putting pets in there.

Always active once leveled up.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Cool, do you have to keep the pet around? I noticed you can pull them back out of the pokedex so I haven't been keeping copies of pets I wasn't currenly interested in just to keep my inventory clean. But if I have to keep at least 1 of everything for passive bonuses thats fine.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Agent355 posted:

Cool, do you have to keep the pet around? I noticed you can pull them back out of the pokedex so I haven't been keeping copies of pets I wasn't currenly interested in just to keep my inventory clean. But if I have to keep at least 1 of everything for passive bonuses thats fine.

You know, I don’t honestly know 100%, but I’m pretty sure the bonus is just based on what is listed in the Codex, and doesn’t require keeping a copy of the pet itself around.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I suppose it's easy enough to check if I find a bonus that will result in some sort of displayed number somewhere, and you just summon/delete the pet to see if it changes.

Thanks for the answers.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Okay another dumb question. I swear I read the wiki for the game but either I'm missing the information I'm looking for or it's just not clearly presented.

When it comes to summoning stuff.

Cultists make shards, not orbs.

Acolytes make orbs out of a complete set of shards.

It takes a full set of shards to make an orb, however if there already exists a full set of shards and a cultist makes another it will upgrade the whole stack to the next tier of shard right?

So like, does this mean if the cultists move really fast than acolytes can't make orbs because the shards get upgraded before the acolyte can use them?

What about if you specifically want purple orbs, does that mean you CANT have any acolytes making blue orbs because they'll keep using up the blue shards instead of letting them upgrade?

It seems like, really annoying trying to figure out how to actually produce the poo poo i want on this tab.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Agent355 posted:

Okay another dumb question. I swear I read the wiki for the game but either I'm missing the information I'm looking for or it's just not clearly presented.

When it comes to summoning stuff.

Cultists make shards, not orbs.

Acolytes make orbs out of a complete set of shards.

It takes a full set of shards to make an orb, however if there already exists a full set of shards and a cultist makes another it will upgrade the whole stack to the next tier of shard right?

So like, does this mean if the cultists move really fast than acolytes can't make orbs because the shards get upgraded before the acolyte can use them?

What about if you specifically want purple orbs, does that mean you CANT have any acolytes making blue orbs because they'll keep using up the blue shards instead of letting them upgrade?

It seems like, really annoying trying to figure out how to actually produce the poo poo i want on this tab.

Mostly? So the way Spiriting works is Cultists generate soul fragments, the chance to generate each action gets drastically lower if you choose fragments above red. When you generate a full set of fragments, they are upgraded to the next color, and when that happens if you have acolytes set to that type of orb, you have a chance to gain that orb based on the acolyte stats. You can't waste shards unless you have no acolytes set to that orb type. If you're aiming for say, orange orbs, it might be easier to generate all red shards because your cultist chance of orange shards are way lower.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Once you fill up on shards of a type, you get both a shard of the next tier up and the chance to make an orb. It isn’t one or the other.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Does anybody play Cookie Clicker anymore? Who knows! But there's fresh new beta content! New building!

https://twitter.com/Orteil42/status/1474838619210846219

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
https://feartress.com/v0.2/play.html seems pretty good so far.

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord

Am I missing something here, or is it straight-up impossible to unlock the Forge (and by extension, equipment)? It needs 3k wood, but once you've built one warehouse to increase your wood cap to 2k, the next warehouse costs... 4k wood, so that's not affordable either.

a gay lion named Tangiers
Jul 30, 2013

This seems fun. I got weird flickering cursor issues with Firefox but it works great in Chrome.

a gay lion named Tangiers
Jul 30, 2013

Zyxyz posted:

Am I missing something here, or is it straight-up impossible to unlock the Forge (and by extension, equipment)? It needs 3k wood, but once you've built one warehouse to increase your wood cap to 2k, the next warehouse costs... 4k wood, so that's not affordable either.

You can click the warehouse in the minimap and increase storage of any one resource. Whatever dev is working on this should probably make that more clear because it absolutely is not.

a gay lion named Tangiers fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Dec 27, 2021

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Further thoughts: New skill trees should be tied to prestiging rather than more money than appears on the map. But good for one playthrough at least.

Edit: actually I was 100 coins short due to combat predictions

habituallyred fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 28, 2021

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
In NGU, should I use the Beast Butter whenever I get some or wait until I'm getting a certain of QP for Major Quests?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Feartress is kinda janky

It looks like the upgrades on some of the buildings intend for it to be just 1 building but you can build more of everything, but the upgrades doesn't seem to consider this. E.g. warehouse wood upgrade that gives 2000 more wood storage when you have 1 warehouse gives 3000 more wood when you have 2 warehouses (instead of the expected 4000).
Not really sure how to keep progressing with combat either, it doesn't look like combat strength of your army scales in any way close to the stronger enemies. I am assuming there are upgrades you can buy but again, the tech tree doesn't work?

Edit: when capped on research points you can buy a talent point, then the next one costs more.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Dec 28, 2021

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Ineptitude posted:

Feartress is kinda janky

It looks like the upgrades on some of the buildings intend for it to be just 1 building but you can build more of everything, but the upgrades doesn't seem to consider this. E.g. warehouse wood upgrade that gives 2000 more wood storage when you have 1 warehouse gives 3000 more wood when you have 2 warehouses (instead of the expected 4000).
Not really sure how to keep progressing with combat either, it doesn't look like combat strength of your army scales in any way close to the stronger enemies. I am assuming there are upgrades you can buy but again, the tech tree doesn't work?

Edit: when capped on research points you can buy a talent point, then the next one costs more.

Research works in a different way, namely you have to hit it when it fills up to get a perk point. Then you spend that on getting a talent.

Blood wise it is a way to encourage folks to actually move their workers around. I know I hate taking folks off of a job as it generally feels like a step back. I do wish the unlocked units had more diversity in combat type. Everything being unholy is super handy against the fire fort, but nothing you can recruit interacts with nature or ice.

Edit: Beaten

I unlocked the book of wizardry in the middle of layer two. Doesn't look like it has been implemented yet. Or maybe it just unlocks after a prestige?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ineptitude posted:

Feartress is kinda janky

You progress combat by researching demons or by being a masochist who grinds out hundreds of army cap so that the lovely soldiers/archers/eagles throw enough dice to take down the endgame. You still end up needing like 60 blood demons to take down the ice boss.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

habituallyred posted:

I unlocked the book of wizardry in the middle of layer two. Doesn't look like it has been implemented yet. Or maybe it just unlocks after a prestige?
There should be two books at the bottom of the tech tree after you buy the book. Click the one thats green to see the wizardry perk tree.

You also have to manually activate command posts by clicking the "1×" button in the combat window.

When you conquer a tile, other tiles of the same type get more enemies. Boss tiles count as the same type, so defeating fire first because you can means you need a bigger army to defeat frost and arcane bosses.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Heliotrope posted:

In NGU, should I use the Beast Butter whenever I get some or wait until I'm getting a certain of QP for Major Quests?

it's so expensive and the effect is really so minimal that I just waited forever to use it and ended up using it at the very, very, very end. Not sure that's optimal but it's tough to argue for anything else especially since QP is a major endgame hump

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Given that it's effectively just 1 free major quest no matter when you use it. You really get the best benefit out of it when you really feel like you need major quests?

Which I never really did, so I just used em whenever I got em.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Beast Butter is a great example of why deflation is bad: the longer you don't use it, the more valuable it becomes.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Feartress was ok but once i got the ball rolling it got real boring just waiting for fight after fight to end then saving up enough blood to top up the army, again and again.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I'd forgotten how slow Cookie Clicker is; I haven't played it since around the time the original web version just sort of stopped getting updates and it seems like the early game is noticeably shower than modern clickers. Guess it doesn't help I'm only buying by tens?

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Pope Guilty posted:

I'd forgotten how slow Cookie Clicker is; I haven't played it since around the time the original web version just sort of stopped getting updates and it seems like the early game is noticeably shower than modern clickers. Guess it doesn't help I'm only buying by tens?

Yeah CC is pretty slow-burn. Getting the minigames helps a bit but yeah I'd forgotten how slow this game is.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Cookie clicker is best played with a script that does it all for you, still ends up being like a year

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

pixaal posted:

Some idlers are best played with a script

One might ask what is the point but its quite satisfying to watch these games play themselves and check in on them like once a day.
Its not that different from a Tamagochi, a lot of growth and progress happens by itself but everything eventually goes tits up if you never interact with it.

I played Kittens game and that Sandcastle game to endgame barely interacting with them and having no idea about any mechanics, and i have had AutoTrimps running for 2 years now.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I genuinely don't understand the point of Autotrimps other than "my computer's fans don't run enough".

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Ineptitude posted:

One might ask what is the point but its quite satisfying to watch these games play themselves and check in on them like once a day.
Its not that different from a Tamagochi, a lot of growth and progress happens by itself but everything eventually goes tits up if you never interact with it.

I played Kittens game and that Sandcastle game to endgame barely interacting with them and having no idea about any mechanics, and i have had AutoTrimps running for 2 years now.

Monster Hunter is just an incremental game with a massive graphics budget. Change my mind.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Pope Guilty posted:

I genuinely don't understand the point of Autotrimps other than "my computer's fans don't run enough".
like bitcoin mining but for little website demons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Lib and let die posted:

Monster Hunter is just an incremental game with a massive graphics budget. Change my mind.

:psyduck: