Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

If Stranger of Paradise leads to me getting a FFIII Warriors of Dark prequel I’m here for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

nu-metal pokemon is just digimon

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Heh, sorry I only play the serious Final Fantasy games.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Rythian posted:

Yeah I ignore Word of God all the time, often makes for better stories.

I also ignore the idea that the world of FFXII becomes the world of Tactics because that is far too depressing

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
X-3 novelization is bullshit, my personal canon is X-2 goes into FF7 in a span of 30ish years and Cloud's father is Brother and you can't loving convince me otherwise.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Cloud's father is tidus actually

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The clothing is far too normal in VII to be only one generation removed from the clown closet that is X's wardrobe.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

FFs being set in some post-golden age apocalypse are actually super cool.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

The clothing is far too normal in VII to be only one generation removed from the clown closet that is X's wardrobe.

You seen the poo poo your parents wore?

You seen the poo poo kids wear these days?

You seen the poo poo WE wore?

I'd say the shift isn't drastic enough to be realistic.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

zenguitarman posted:

FFs being set in some post-golden age apocalypse are actually super cool.

I miss the implication in the NES version of FF1 that the Flying Fortress was a straight up space station rather than a floating castle.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

"Whatever." stacks a bunch of chibi monsters on each other

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

"Gustav was decieved by Dycedarg's silk tongue and kidnapped the Marquis!"

10 year old me really got stuck on the idea of this dude's silk tongue.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Ethiser posted:

If Stranger of Paradise leads to me getting a FFIII Warriors of Dark prequel I’m here for it.

FF6: War of the Magi.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The names Sindy and Im here to destroy Bevelle

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I have no opinion on FFXV except, why the gently caress is her name Cindy? Cidney is right loving there. Pure incompetence.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Because she's not the game's Cid, Cid is the game's Cid.

EDIT: You may as well complain why Krile isn't called Galufrile instead. Or why Sazh's kid isn't called Sazhson. Or why Cecil's kid isn't called Cecildore, or why Yang's daughter isn't called................I don't remember Yang's daughter's name. But anyway

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Well I've never played the game, but that's stupid. She should've been Cid and her name should be Cidney

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Her Japanese name IS Cidney.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Localisation loving us over once again. First Aerith and now this poo poo

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Earisu

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah the argument that she isn't the games Cid because her dad(grandad?) is named Cid is stupid, doubly so because Cidney is the name she got in Japan.

FFXV was a fun mess

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

If she's the child of a Cid her name should be Mid.

TAI

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Tall Tale Teller posted:

TAI

Sometimes Mid’s the dad

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Tall Tale Teller posted:

TAI

I would be fine with this tbh

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Most iconic moment in FFT is that fight with Wiegraf/Belius to be honest!

A lot of the evil zodiac monster fights are cool, although off the top of my head I can only think of Cuchulain (which I’m spelling wrong) and Belius. And the final battle I guess.

I really like the weird horror stuff with the stones, my favorite moment is when Wiegraf is bleeding out at the monastery and the stone talks to him for the first time. All the death in FFT is super visceral too, you always get that squick sound effect and then they're clutching at themselves and crawling around trailing blood. You've already seen a Zodiac monster at this point but to see the whole deal with the devil at someone's lowest moment is really effective.

I've never thought about it before but some of FFT's tone actually reminds me of Berserk.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Gaius Marius posted:

Well I've never played the game, but that's stupid. She should've been Cid and her name should be Cidney

I'd recommend it if you get it on steam sale or game pass or something. It's a good game with an obviously hurried up ending.

Cid in FFXV does do the majority of cid things you'd expect. Cindy stays in her lane.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Much like Berserk, the second the magic demon stones show up in FFT I lose all interest.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It shows up in like the second chapter

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

FFT is sweet because you can have a master thief turned ninja that’s so fast they get like 2-3 more turns than other characters and just annihilate enemies with two swords.

There’s also Orlandu who is just broken, I don’t really know what they were thinking giving you someone so absurdly overpowered whose sword gives him auto-haste.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He's there for the lads whore bad at games, but still want to beat it.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Tall Tale Teller posted:

TAI

midney

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Her name should be Midney, to go with her sisters, Sadney and Cidney.

Wait poo poo.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Verviticus posted:

it was skipped in the list so i ask: whats the most moving/powerful moment in FFT
There's a lot of super strong moments in FFT for me:

-Ramza and Delita talking on the hill after Tietra is kidnapped and Argath gets kicked out
-The fort exploding and the aftermath
-Ramza listening in on Ovelia talk about being miserable because she knows she's a pawn, and revealing her best friend was Alma
-The first Zodiac Beast encounter
-Riovane's Castle where there's this complete change in tone/tenor; it's actually disturbing even with the goofy screams the game has where you're hearing people just getting massacred in the background.

Just want to point this one out especially since I have never seen anyone comment on it. Isn't it loving weird how there's no blood in the game until the rampage in the castle happens? You see Wiegraf run someone through at the start of the game and more than a couple deaths but there's specifically no blood at all, but when the slaughter happens and Alma's escaping through the castle the guards are just loving *splattered* all over the place, and now people who get ran through in cutscenes bleed.

-The whole thing where Zalbaag finds out his father was poisoned to death, and everything that comes from that.
-The ending and Delita's last line.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

God drat FFT owns.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
All this talk of FFT compels me to recommend The Lion War mod again for the original psx version. Anyone who feels like a replay should definitely check it out!

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
There is a rumor a FFT Remaster is in the works, so here's hoping. Eidos Montreal was looking for playtesters and in the survey they specifically asked if the the applicant had played any FFT releases like War of the Lions, iOS/Android versions, FFTA, and FFTA2.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

square should remaster every final fantasy game and release them on the nintendo switch

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

FF Tactics but with the Guardians of the Galaxy engine

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

thetoughestbean posted:

I also ignore the idea that the world of FFXII becomes the world of Tactics because that is far too depressing
this is what man did with the reins of history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Hogama posted:

this is what man did with the reins of history

Whether it all goes to poo poo or not, it’s still right to tell alien Halliburton to gently caress off