Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Hah, last night I was second-guessing having spent so much on an espresso grinder, and then this morning I tried to make an espresso with a new bean I got for Christmas. Options on my Encore were glug-glug 60s shot, or whooosh 8 seconds. Specialita can't get here fast enough!

In more immediate news, I'm really liking the Aergrind. I've never had (or even touched) a hand grinder before, so I have nothing to compare it to, but it feels very solid, the workflow is nice, the grinding process isn't too painful (though I'm definitely still pro-electric for day-to-day home use), and I love that it fits inside the Aeropress (sans handle, but still). When travelling is a thing again, I think this will be the ideal combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

today I learned how one can taste that the grind wasn’t fine enough, yesterday’s cup had a lot of subtle character and some sweet and acidic notes to it that it lacked today, and the only real difference between the brews were grind setting. I dialed a bit back on purpose today to see if I went too far or not, but I seemed to nail the grind the first time around, and literally the first time grinding :smugdog:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Bobstar posted:

Hah, last night I was second-guessing having spent so much on an espresso grinder, and then this morning I tried to make an espresso with a new bean I got for Christmas. Options on my Encore were glug-glug 60s shot, or whooosh 8 seconds. Specialita can't get here fast enough!

In more immediate news, I'm really liking the Aergrind. I've never had (or even touched) a hand grinder before, so I have nothing to compare it to, but it feels very solid, the workflow is nice, the grinding process isn't too painful (though I'm definitely still pro-electric for day-to-day home use), and I love that it fits inside the Aeropress (sans handle, but still). When travelling is a thing again, I think this will be the ideal combo.

Someone on reddit hacked a clicker for the encore that doubles the 40 levels, and I think it was posted itt not long ago. That might get you in the ballpark, except it seems you've already found an option.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Red_Fred posted:

I don’t…huh? :psyduck:

Silly late night joke about James* Hoffman's espresso history video, and slight amusement at the idea it was originally trying to emulate filter coffee but in a way to make it faster to brew (especially as modern espresso seems like such a vital and foundational thing.) And I was musing how we now have instant coffee so we don't need espresso anymore.

I bought three bags of beans today now that the shops are opened. I told the guy behind the counter I'd just gotten a v60 for Christmas and wanted to try a range of styles, he recommended one Costa Rican, one Ethiopian and one other. One of them is washed, one "fully washed" (I don't know what the difference is between those two and the place was very busy,) and one is natural. So I'll be having fun for the next few weeks trying them out.

I didn't get any scales, for now. I'll keep using the standard digital kitchen scales until I feel I need something more accurate. Although I'm already looking at even fancier hand grinders than the Skerton despite using it only four times (this is just silly consumerism on my part.)

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Bobstar posted:

In the meantime you can reduce your coffee dose off the 60s shot setting to get closer to balance 👍

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Mrenda posted:

One of them is washed, one "fully washed" (I don't know what the difference is between those two and the place was very busy,)

no difference, there's just an annoying lack of consensus when it comes to terminology for coffee processing ('wet process' would also be the same thing)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Mrenda posted:

Although I'm already looking at even fancier hand grinders than the Skerton despite using it only four times (this is just silly consumerism on my part.)

Understandable since using the Skerton suuuuucks. Look at 1zpresso for affordable and fancy hand grinders.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

In the meantime you can reduce your coffee dose off the 60s shot setting to get closer to balance 👍

This is what I do to dial with my encore.

Start with 18g (my BES840XL basket is too small for more @53mm), find the point where I first start to choke, then reduce the dose until I hit 1:2/2.5, 30 seconds.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Mu Zeta posted:

Understandable since using the Skerton suuuuucks. Look at 1zpresso for affordable and fancy hand grinders.

It dooooooesn't

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The only coffee product I own worse than the Skerton is the Hario Mini Mill. They are just terrible products and I hate that I bought them. The Porlex is bad too but at least it looks cool.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Yeah that’s kinda what I was confused about. I feel like you need a decent grinder for a v60 as it’s not as forgiving as say, a Clever.

But hey if you’re liking the results then that’s awesome really! :)

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

I used the skerton for Iike, two years. I thought it was good til I used literally anything else and then I broke and bought an electric grinder anyways.

Did I make great cups with it? Sure. Did I also lose twelve years of my life cranking it? Yes.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Kalsco posted:

Did I also lose twelve years of my life cranking it? Yes.

New thread title pls, mods.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Mr. Mambold posted:

New thread title pls, mods.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Mu Zeta posted:

The timemore c2 is pretty good too. Same burrs as the c1 but it has a cheaper build.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Is coffee, as an exercise in flavour coming from a processed basic... eh... bean? fruit? supposed to be completely unbalanced in relation to general gastronomical norms?

To start off, the beans I bought come in two different kinds. I think the roaster is trying an experiment. "these two coffees were grown by the same people, on the same land (and perhaps even from the same tree), the only difference is that one was processed using the washed method, and another was processed using the natural method." I just bought the one bag the man pointed to, the washed bean, and now I've drunk a cup, and am writing this poast. The thing is the tasting notes they gave for the washed I didn't really get, not directly. I got the tasting notes for the natural coffee despite drinking the washed version. I got a kind of peachy/melony quality along with ripe or heated/candied orange on occasion (they say "melon" and "tropical fruit.")

I also got a kind of buttery profile to it, along with raw sugar, which, when combined, goes to their saying the washed version tastes like "biscuits." (sugar + butter = biscuits/cookies.) As it got cooler as I drank I could really get the acidity of it, which I guess would be their version of the "lime" aspect to the washed one, but it's not really a "taste" unless you're being wishful. The other big thing they say is they got a taste like a "bourbon Old Fashioned" from the natural beans, while from the washed beans I had a taste like the strong alcohol depth from a Belgian dubbel (often compared to a rich fruit, sugary alcohol taste, often compared to bourbon.)

I'm of the opinion tasting notes are generally bollocks, or at least they're rudimentary in what I've drunk most of, which is beer, especially when people aren't willing to talk about them, and I've rarely had a wine worthy of having "notes." But this difference in effect between washed and natural, on the same beans (according to the roaster's descriptions), seems only to emphasize certain flavours and make them more forward, if the person who wrote the bean's notes is correct. They're describing the differently processed beans in absolutes, but ultimately the raw quality of the beans is the same, only lessened or greatened, no matter what happens with them (I'm sure you'll agree this is a stunning realisation. I also worry about people going through/me ending up trying to maximise or intensify the aspects we find desirable. Coffee been alchemy/science and a different discussion.) My worry is that if I'm reading the taster's notes for the washed bean and tasting mostly the natural processed bean, then while being accurate in a way, it is actually bullshit. Or *just* a general guide. Although if you've set up two beans to be a comparison, surely you'd ensure your comparison isn't transparent. Basically, if they've set up these beans side by side, why am I getting mostly the opposite side to what they've presented? What's wrong or right with me? (Remember, I didn't read the notes until I was 2/3rds of the way through the cup.)

Maybe it's all marketing. Maybe they've fluffed the notes to really pull me into laying down my opinion on one, and so end up buying the other bag to deepen my thoughts. Which leads me onto what I said at first now that I've explained the beans. Are beans completely unbalanced in comparison to general gastronomical norms?

None of these flavours, I would think, traditionally work together. I know this is like saying, "A carrot in its whole carrot-ness doesn't work,"/"a coffee bean in its whole bean-ness/coffee-cup-ness doesn't work" but by comparing these beans to what I already know about food/drink they're very unbalanced and not at all harmonious. Maybe that's a good thing? Maybe that's the point; to discover the nuance and learn to appreciate something completely at odds with gastronomy and completely individual in it's own right. Partly that it is valid by it's complexity in coming from one simple staple.

This might be a broad fault in trying to analyse and break down a flavour by comparison to others. It simply is or isn't "good"/"tasty"/"nice"/"interesting." I feel like this coffee needs its own language, maybe such a language exists in Columbia or Ethiopia or somewhere. Mostly I'd say my understanding of coffee is shite, and I haven't seen much evidence others are able to communicate their particular understanding of them, outside of their obvious ability to make good coffee.

Fake edit: I'm just getting about to posting this, and I know this reads like it's the first time I've gotten high. And holy gently caress am I here for it.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Hawkperson posted:

I told my family I was making fancy coffee and asked for beans knowing full well what I’d get lol. And oh my god after drinking some well roasted coffee the last few weeks I finally get why everyone says Starbucks beans are burnt. Holy poo poo
I've been on various Happy Mug bags for the past two years. The past six or so weeks I've been working my way though the Tchibo deal and...I couldn't wait to go back.

It did give me an opportunity to try the Milk Street sugar samplers that I'd never put (or need to) into my Happy Mug drip.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Hoffmann has a big chunk of the “beginners guide to buying coffee” video dedicated to taste notes on the bags, and apparently they aren’t really meant literal rather than symbolic, so so and so fruit/berry will signify a level of sweetness, acidity, fermentedness and so on, and not directly the taste of apple, blueberries or mango, though those tastes can be present in there too sometimes

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

it’s super weird coming from tea, because there the taste notes are absolutely present in the cup, if a tea is described on the site as having a taste of honey or grass, it will taste like that without question and is meant 100% descriptive rather than symbolic in the strange way coffee shops does it

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

if this happened to me (tastes identical to their description of the natural) i would just assume they gave me a bag of the natural. but also you can almost immediately tell what's a natural like 99% of the time when you're used to tasting a lot of coffee, so it's almost never a surprise even when it's blinded

anyways i wouldn't read too much into one person's tasting notes, roasters are almost notoriously bad at grasping on to trends and describing their coffees in increasingly florid ways.

similarly, i wouldn't make broad generalizations about "coffee" based on tasting one thing -- my experience is that the diversity of flavor in coffee is almost shockingly broad, especially when you go looking for it. that boozy, fruity natural colombian might as well be a completely different beverage than a washed yirgacheffe that tastes intensely like black tea and bergamot and jasmine, they're in such radically different places flavor-wise. you're certainly right that some beans are really unbalanced (like i had a honduran natural that had traditional fruit flavors but also cereal and tomato and it just wasn't nice) but there's too much variance to make any strong claims based on any one thing

edit: a good skeptical take about tasting notes, imo, is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eSLoXAAvbc

eke out fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 29, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

The Hoffman video is a good reference.

The gist of it is tasting notes for coffee are key words for certain taste traits (acid, bitter, fermented, sweet, etc) and their intensity. As an example, a lemon note would indicate a very large amount of acidity, while a peach (or other stone fruit) would indicate less acidity, but acidity still present.

With bitter notes (chocolate, toffee, etc) you would expect no acidity at all.

Also, there is a very large taste disparity in coffee. It is genuinely incredible how different different coffees can taste. However, that effect is fully lost the darker you roast it. It’s generally why speciality or expensive coffees are mostly light roasted, you lose tons of character and unique flavor when you get to medium dark/dark/starbucks.

If you really wanna understand, buy a bunch of different light roast coffees, don’t add any sugar, and try them all at the same time.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

ulvir posted:

Hoffmann has a big chunk of the “beginners guide to buying coffee” video dedicated to taste notes on the bags, and apparently they aren’t really meant literal rather than symbolic, so so and so fruit/berry will signify a level of sweetness, acidity, fermentedness and so on, and not directly the taste of apple, blueberries or mango, though those tastes can be present in there too sometimes

Yeah, that sounds wrong. Not Hoffman, but you. I think if someone says they tasted "fruit/berry" chances are they probably did. Or at least tasted the coffee version of it.

When I say I tasted melon and peach it's because I tasted melon and peach. Sure my ability to perceive tastes from a coffee and identify them to myself via comparisons to other tastes isn't as good as some people's, but I still tasted melon and peach. Or I think I did.

My simple point (said in a really longwinded way) was that more of my perceptions of the taste of the washed beans were similar to their descriptions of the taste of the natural beans. And that's interesting, to me at least, because they're essentially the same bean.

eke out posted:

similarly, i wouldn't make broad generalizations about "coffee" based on tasting one thing -- my experience is that the diversity of flavor in coffee is almost shockingly broad, especially when you go looking for it. that boozy, fruity natural colombian might as well be a completely different beverage than a washed yirgacheffe that tastes intensely like black tea and bergamot and jasmine, they're in such radically different places flavor-wise. you're certainly right that some beans are really unbalanced (like i had a honduran natural that had traditional fruit flavors but also cereal and tomato and it just wasn't nice) but there's too much variance to make any strong claims based on any one thing

Yeah, this isn't meant to be a billy big balls "This is coffee" thing, more that I've tried this speciality coffee and am coming up with ideas that more tasting may help me figure out more. I just posted this here because SA is my personal blog and I, the one-coffee-haver thought it was interesting/wanted to know where other people are on this.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Some flavour notes are suggestions at broader flavour/cupping profiles, some are intensely literal. Buying single origin & getting into processing methods yadda yadda you've probably sorted through enough chaff that the people selling you your bean at least understand what is trying to be conveyed. Beyond that, 's the wild west. All the terrior and bean varietal and etc. that goes into making a cup what it is, is probably quantifiable but the science ain't there yet or at least, not readily accessible. So you get Jo Coffee drumming up adjectives for the new bean they've just roasted and sometimes it's bang on and others, eh, sure.

At worst I've found it goes from "ohhh this acid is reminiscent to kiwi fruit, sorta, from a distance" and it sorta tasting like a pleasantly bodied cuppa otherwise, to "this tastes like strawberries and cream strawberries and cream STRAWBERRIES AND CREAM". And a slew of things inbetween. If the idea of a tropical fruited (like, mango, or pineapple) punchy little thing is up your alley, there certainly is a bean out there that will translate into a cup of "yes this is pineapple", ime it's just few and far between and you're more likely to get "strongly suggests of" and "sorta tastes like" amongst other flavours.

If the description doesn't actually describe the cup in a meaningful or understandable capacity, I simply don't buy them again. Rarely have they been flat out wrong, but then I just blacklist the roaster and buy somewhere else.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I once had a coffee from Colonna Coffee that listed Chardonnay as its main tasting note. I was expecting some faint booziness, but it actually tasted 100% like a Chardonnay. Coffee is really incredible.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
I just had an americano from a 16k full-auto espresso machine at the 7-11

it was surprisingly drinkable, especially given I didn't pay for it since they wanted to demo the machine

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Kalsco posted:

Some flavour notes are suggestions at broader flavour/cupping profiles, some are intensely literal. Buying single origin & getting into processing methods yadda yadda you've probably sorted through enough chaff that the people selling you your bean at least understand what is trying to be conveyed. Beyond that, 's the wild west. All the terrior and bean varietal and etc. that goes into making a cup what it is, is probably quantifiable but the science ain't there yet or at least, not readily accessible. So you get Jo Coffee drumming up adjectives for the new bean they've just roasted and sometimes it's bang on and others, eh, sure.

I think that's what's been driving my fascination (and posting) so far. Not only am I developing a language to describe what I'm experiencing as I'm trying these first fancy coffees but it seems that it's something the "industry" is doing as well. Or, at the least, some people have developed their particular language and understanding and are trying to bring other people (often customers) on board with it as well. (Even more fascinating is the level of context brought to beans from the same bag can change someone's perception of it, and so language, drastically.)

I really really liked beer for a while, now maybe it's a me thing but other people didn't seem to like beer in the same way I did, or they did like beer like I did, but weren't willing to put up with my experience level which often was either below theirs or coming at it from a different linguistic/sensory/perceptory angle. So I'd be talking to someone about beer but they couldn't or weren't willing to go further than, "It's good. I like it." Which is fine. I quite like liking things. Or on the other hand I would be talking about beer with someone and they'd have already categorised it quickly in their heads, "It's this, this and this. Therefore, in summation, it is X, Y, or Z." While I didn't have that categorisation ability. I think I'd annoy people by doing the inadvertent 3yo thing and ask them, "Why is it this?" What is the nature of this particular style of beer, and they might know full well, but couldn't put it into words or communicate it.

My favourite two sharing-beer-experiences were when I identified a particular note, extremely individual, and another person into beer had a kind of dawning moment of, "Holy poo poo, you're right." (the notes were leylandii in one case and the smell you get from new mass produced trainers/runners/adidas/nike/whatever when you open the box.)

I think this is why the two different kinds of beer people I talked to were representative of any tasting experience. On the one hand simply enjoying something, saying something "is good" or "I like it" is in a way what it's all about. We want good things. If we have something good there's a huge value in simply accepting it and being content with it. On the other side of this, partly, the goodness can be in the mental stimulation of exploring something, but more, there's a process where we want to learn what it is we think is good.

Anyway, I tried the same coffee again this morning. At first taste I got a kind of umami, meaty, rich gravy/jus with hints of rich red wine to it, and as it cooled I really got that lime flavour they talked about. Lingering after I finished the cup I got the biscuit. And this to me is fascinating, that the same coffee I tasted both last night and this morning is providing this range of experience. But I'm the kind of person who wants to talk about this cool stuff (to me) even if it bores the shite out of everyone else.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah imo an annoying thing about tasting notes is the conflation of "this tastes objectively like _____" and "this reminds me of ____, kinda, if you squint"

usually it's easy to tell the latter because they'll be some nonsense like "wildberry poptarts" or "smores" or whatever

Gunder posted:

I once had a coffee from Colonna Coffee that listed Chardonnay as its main tasting note. I was expecting some faint booziness, but it actually tasted 100% like a Chardonnay. Coffee is really incredible.

ditto, there's a bunch of colombian coffees distributed by Cofinet that're "white wine process" or sometimes described as "chardonnay process"/etc that really do uncannily taste like a white wine (i had a couple from Jairo Arcila, who does a lot of experimental ones).

i did not like them, but only because they objectively tasted so much like a chardonnay as to barely register as coffee lol

eke out fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Dec 29, 2021

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

eke out posted:

yeah imo an annoying thing about tasting notes is the conflation of "this tastes objectively like _____" and "this reminds me of ____, kinda, if you squint"

the only instances I would ever use “objectively” wrt taste in drinks is in instances where beer/gin has been infused/distilled with, say raspberries, and that taste is definitely present. otherwise I only think of taste notes as an approximation, even in the chardonnay example. “what other thing do I recognise that had a taste that was similar to this?”

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

ulvir posted:

the only instances I would ever use “objectively” wrt taste in drinks is in instances where beer/gin has been infused/distilled with, say raspberries, and that taste is definitely present. otherwise I only think of taste notes as an approximation, even in the chardonnay example. “what other thing do I recognise that had a taste that was similar to this?”

sure you can quibble over the use of objective, tasting is always subjective to some extent. but there's plenty of coffees that, if you put them blinded in front of a room of trained people, they would independently agree on many of the same specific notes -- some of which will be literally the same flavor compounds we recognize in other foods.

my point is when a washed yirgacheffe tastes like bergamot and black tea, it is not a "this reminds me of" situation, it literally tastes like earl grey (or, as Wendelboe is fond of saying, earl grey tastes like a washed yirgacheffe, because those orange flavors are naturally occurring in the coffee but have to be added to the tea). or, similarly, floral notes in geshas. you might argue over whether it's jasmine or honeysuckle or whatever, but they tend to quite objectively taste like flowers and pretty much everyone agrees this to the point that it is one of the defining characteristics of the variety (or woodsy notes in a monsooned malabar, or tobacco notes in a wet-hulled sumatra, the list goes on).

i am distinguishing this from when you see a tasting note of "strawberry shortcake", which is evocative marketing but not literal and often much more arguable than just the "strawberry" part, as it's attempting to convey some combination of flavor + other attributes that evokes a sense memory. a lot of confusion surrounding tasting notes is the tendency to rely more on evocative descriptions or to mix them in with the roaster's attempt at an "objective" description without really explaining much -- and this is made worse by the fact that it's cool and trendy to write like three notes and nothing else

eke out fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 29, 2021

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I think that I shall never sneffe
A fart as lovely as yirgacheffe

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I had my second fancy coffee (second different bean) earlier today. I'm glad I tipped the guy in the shop who picked the coffees out for me a few quid because this was a complete contrast to the first one. With the first one where I was getting distinct flavour notes this was all "feelings" of texture and neighbours to specific tastes I do know. By the end of it the only comparison I could make is when I had a mass produced macro stout (that actually has distinct dark roast coffee notes I really like about it) after I had added a shot of gin to it. It was rich and smooth, almost velvety in the sense of a creamy nitro'ed stout, but it had a hint of sharpness of gin botanicals albeit diluted by a pint, all with a kind of warm ripeness not of a specific berried fruit, but more the general idea of a generic dark berried fruit. It reminded me in a kind of abstract way of a strong, warm French wine. Maybe this is my own lack of knowledge of beyond-coffee flavours in not being able to identify them but it was very much a sense of feeling the totality of the coffee rather than picking out high and low, pointed and rounded notes. This was just all round. If the first coffee was different flavours popping off randomly, this felt cohesive and unique.

I have the third one to open yet, which is a natural processed one. The one today is kind of annoying, though, in the sense it's a challenge to figure out.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

maybe I'm just shopping at the wrong tea places but I see goofy tea tasting notes all the time that are just as bad as their coffee and wine counterparts

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

maybe I'm just shopping at the wrong tea places but I see goofy tea tasting notes all the time that are just as bad as their coffee and wine counterparts

You're shopping at the wrong tea places. The good places will just say things like "earthy" or "sweet" or "grassy". Descriptions that give you an idea of what sort of flavors you get. Places that say you're going to taste "the meandering brook at the base of a mountain stream" are taking the piss.

It's the same with coffee. You want to give people an idea without getting poetic. Fruity, berries, earthy, roasty, chocolate, are all great general descriptions without getting overly specific. "The first ripe berries in June after a cold winter" is them trying to sell to a specific crowd (and possibly charge more).

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Has anyone tried the tricolate brewer? If so how was it? Scott Rao has been big fan for the last couple of months and I was looking for other opinions.

https://tricolate.com/

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I use tasting notes as suggestions. Right now I am drinking a washed 1100-1800m Peru with notes of “Cane sugar, simple syrup, marshmallow.” It’s an easy, low acidity, pleasant sweet cup that’s approachable and just tastes like a coffee-rear end cup of coffee. No surprise.

I’m also getting through a natural 1900-2100m Ethiopian with notes of “blackberry, mocha, vanilla.” It’s fruity and raisiny with a bit more acidity than you’d expect if you didn’t know the altitude.

Taken alone I don’t think these notes would tell you enough to know what you are going to get. But knowing the process and the altitude gets you a lot more info. Really, I think process is most important (funkiness vs clarity), then altitude (acidity vs sweetness), then tasting notes kind of narrow it down from there.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Has anyone tried the tricolate brewer? If so how was it? Scott Rao has been big fan for the last couple of months and I was looking for other opinions.

https://tricolate.com/

That looks like an Aeropress without the press part, right?

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Jhet posted:

You're shopping at the wrong tea places. The good places will just say things like "earthy" or "sweet" or "grassy". Descriptions that give you an idea of what sort of flavors you get. Places that say you're going to taste "the meandering brook at the base of a mountain stream" are taking the piss.

It's the same with coffee. You want to give people an idea without getting poetic. Fruity, berries, earthy, roasty, chocolate, are all great general descriptions without getting overly specific. "The first ripe berries in June after a cold winter" is them trying to sell to a specific crowd (and possibly charge more).

Sure, I understand what makes a good and a bad tasting note, I just wanted to note that my experience hasn't lined up with regards to subjectivity/objectivity/weird flowery descriptions in tea tasting notes. I've seen plenty of (often very good) coffees with incredibly goofy tasting notes too, of course.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Lord Stimperor posted:

That looks like an Aeropress without the press part, right?

Yeah, it's bigger and meant to do pour overs. I'm not really sure what the used case is vs a v60 but it looks cool.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Does James Hoffman's v60 technique need less coffee than the 4:6 method?

I've been using 16gm of coffee to about 300gm of water for all my v60 pours, although I doubt my scales are perfectly accurate. With Hoffman's technique I got a more full, rich brew. I tried the 4:6 method for the pour, with five 60gm pours, but with only 16gm of coffee and it was a lot weaker. I know I'm not using the recommended amount of coffee for the 4:6 method, but with everything else being roughly the same Hoffman's technique created a stronger, richer flavour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I love JH's aeropress method, but I want to add 30g extra water to get the cup just that closer to full, at the same time I also want to mantain the ratio from 11g to 200g. would you round up to 2g extra for the beans, or get as close to 1,8333...g as possible? (that's what 5,5/3 gets you)