Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

CaptainJuan posted:

"the slash that looks like the first stroke of an X"

You monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

You had me at stroke cause I'd have a stroke if someone told me that.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

You guys trust your users to successfully identify left from right?

I gave up on that after multiple people still couldn't find the Start Menu as "the thing in the bottom left of the screen".

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
"Alright I'll need you to press the Windows key, it's the key with the square on it on the lower left corner of your keyboard between control and alt. Alright, good, did you see a menu pop up on the lower left part of your screen?"

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

klosterdev posted:

"Alright I'll need you to press the Windows key, it's the key with the square on it on the lower left corner of your keyboard between control and alt. Alright, good, did you see a menu pop up on the lower left part of your screen?"

No, because they havent turned their pc on yet.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

That's how I do it. Say what it is and then describe it. I also do NATO phonetic the same way, say the letter and then the phonetic. I think just going straight NATO phonetic breaks people's brains.

I usually try straight NATO first, and if I have to back down and use letter followed by phonetic, I do so while silently judging the hell out of them.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

GreenNight posted:

No, because they havent turned their pc on yet.

Listen, fucko

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I usually try straight NATO first, and if I have to back down and use letter followed by phonetic, I do so while silently judging the hell out of them.

I remember going over a CD Key like 15 times with a customer because they insisted that Sierra was spelled with a C, even after multiple "S as in Sierra" tries

some people just real dumb

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

M as in Mancy

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
There are a few people I'll jump straight to NATO with, but I generally do "$letter as in $nato" for each letter, because most people just are not prepared to deal with the NATO alphabet at full speed with no warning.

I am unreasonably annoyed that people I work with who need to convey this stuff all the time still make up whatever dumb "B as in Bob" nonsense pops into their head. You don't have to use the exact NATO alphabet, there are other phonetic alphabets, but pick one and learn it, please. These things were picked for a reason, and if your clarifying information is as prone to mishearing as the letter itself, it's not helpful.

I've tried "the one from top left to bottom right" and people STILL get it wrong. I'm sticking with physical location on keyboard and also specifically saying which one it's NOT, because that's the only thing that works consistently for me.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

RFC2324 posted:

I remember going over a CD Key like 15 times with a customer because they insisted that Sierra was spelled with a C, even after multiple "S as in Sierra" tries

some people just real dumb

"I'm telling you, I had a Cutlass Ciera in 1986 and I know how it's spelled"

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
Kappa :o

GreenNight posted:

You had me at stroke cause I'd have a stroke if someone told me that.

BBC Radio 4 used to say "stroke" for / when reading URLs out over the airwaves.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

My ex wife once said “E, as in eye” to me.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

guppy posted:

I am unreasonably annoyed that people I work with who need to convey this stuff all the time still make up whatever dumb "B as in Bob" nonsense pops into their head. You don't have to use the exact NATO alphabet, there are other phonetic alphabets, but pick one and learn it, please. These things were picked for a reason, and if your clarifying information is as prone to mishearing as the letter itself, it's not helpful.

It's me, I'm the dumbo who doesn't know the whole NATO alphabet by heart because I rarely need it.

But it was still a little frustrating getting a call once where I said, "exclamation mark," and the person on the other end didn't know what that was. Nor could I tell them which key to press on the Japanese keyboard for it, and I was on the road and couldn't check. Eventually I asked if they could Google it, and they said, "Oh, you mean 'bang'!"

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

guppy posted:

There are a few people I'll jump straight to NATO with, but I generally do "$letter as in $nato" for each letter, because most people just are not prepared to deal with the NATO alphabet at full speed with no warning.

I have a coworker that is very particular about using the NATO alphabet. So most of us would go out of way to think of messed up terms when he was in ear shot. One person was reading off something, and got to use "X, as in Xander, and Z also as in Zander."

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

P as in pneumonia is my fav

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

That's how I do it. Say what it is and then describe it. I also do NATO phonetic the same way, say the letter and then the phonetic. I think just going straight NATO phonetic breaks people's brains.

I’ve had a conversation in which I spelled, say, GTFO as Golf Tango Foxtrot Oscar

so they dutifully entered G O L F T A N G O F O X T R O T O S C A R

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

I worked with a lady that would stick her arms up, and tip her entire body to the left or the right. THIS WAY OR THAT WAY

that lady loving owns. i hope she's living her best life

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Agrikk posted:

I’ve had a conversation in which I spelled, say, GTFO as Golf Tango Foxtrot Oscar

so they dutifully entered G O L F T A N G O F O X T R O T O S C A R

Reminds me of a joke I read in some magazine where a guy said “D, as in dog,” over the phone and got a document back that said “Diasindog.”

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

M as in Mancy

E: F;b

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

ConfusedUs posted:

https://twitter.com/futurekid/status/1176685582002479105?s=21

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

quote:

Tom Cyescew

This is fantastic

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

ConfusedUs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4ramoioWnw

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
M as in Movember

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Reminds me of Grzegorz.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfKZclMWS1U

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/dec/03/p-is-for-pterodactyl-t-is-for-tsunami-the-worst-alphabet-book-becomes-a-bestseller

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

I do this even when I'm a customer and it's the person's role to listen to sequences of letters. I just don't trust that anyone else uses phonetic and want to make it easier for the person on the other end of the phone :shobon:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Well that silent B fact had me googling and now I am infuriated to learn that there are at least three.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
If it’s another IT pro or someone I know has been in the military, I’ll go full NATO. Otherwise, I find it helps to ease people in for the first few letters, and if it’s something super long like an encryption key call and response, I’ll stop prefixing the letter after 5-7 times. At least on the help desk, people picked it up quickly (that said, the people at my current job, when I was still on the help desk, were absurdly easy to help compared to gen pop).

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Arquinsiel posted:

Well that silent B fact had me googling and now I am infuriated to learn that there are at least three.

the word is bdellium

i had to look it up because the article is such a drat tease

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I do customer service and honestly phonetic alphabets are a blessing, but I usually default to something generally understood rather than NATO. Works even better when you get to use the customer's name, but U for Umbrella, A for Apple, P for Peter, no worries

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

my cat is norris posted:

the word is bdellium

i had to look it up because the article is such a drat tease
Bdellatomy and bdellometer also exist, according to a casual search. They are rather archaic and specific though.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
"is that a capital two"

(he meant an @)

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

divabot posted:

"is that a capital two"

(he meant an @)

That owns

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

That laughter is infectious. Also, couple goals right here

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I love the relationship those two apparently have.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

divabot posted:

"is that a capital two"

(he meant an @)

I sometimes read out capital numbers to my colleagues, but that's mostly to gently caress with them.

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

divabot posted:

"is that a capital two"

(he meant an @)

The password to my home wifi and the hotspot on my phone are both entirely numeric

I love giving out the password and starting with "OK, its all lowercase..." and then watching their faces when I give them nothing but numbers

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm imagining this in the same cadence as one normally reads out letters:
"That's 2 as in the number two, 7 as in the number seven, 9 as in..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
2 as in 256, 6 as in 666, 4 as in 420.