Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

quote:

A comment saying he stayed under $75 per toy has just changed to say he spent $50 total.

Another comment claiming he stayed "under budget per toy" has been deleted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Buff Hardback posted:

Went and found it, OP is looking suspect as hell as time goes on in the comments
The OP has no post history and made these three comments:

quote:

Her parents are both very successful. Her mother is a lawyer and her father works in politics.
22 hours ago

I spent about $50 on the kids each.
1 day ago

I bought my kids gifts that they asked for. None of the gifts passed the budget.
1 day ago

I don't know what you're talking about.

Edit:

Is this someone else posting that in the comments or do you have some magic way of seeing comment changes?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for not giving the cat I found back to her owner?

quote:

I(35f) live in a place with a lot of stray cats, and the occasional unwanted cat dumped. I usually let them be. But more than a year ago now, there was one that I took in because she was a little kitten and being very loud and obviously was not feral.

I did everything I could to find her owner, contacted shelters, put it on social media, but no one claimed her so I kept her for myself.

However, a few days ago I was contacted by a woman claiming to have been her owner. She said that she had been in rough financial shape and going through a toxic relationship, and her now ex boyfriend dumped the cat. She said she had seen my posts but hadn’t been able to take her back because she couldn't afford a cat but that she now could and was wondering if I would give her the cat.

I told her I was obviously very sorry for everything she went through but that she had had the opportunity to claim her cat and it was more than a year later now.

She broke down crying on the phone when I said that and said the kitten was the last reminder of her cat that had passed away from cancer and that I was awful for not giving someone going through hard times their cat back.

She's texted me a few times since then and I feel pretty bad about it and I'm thinking I should just give her the cat, but on the other hand I've had the cat for most of her life and she had the opportunity to claim her kitten.

AITA?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Lemniscate Blue posted:

In 2005 the Navy deployed me to Kuwait to staff a medical clinic supporting Army units being staged for movement north into Iraq. Jarhead had just come out, with the dog tag branding scene. Every couple weeks we'd have to treat a new pack of idiots who'd imitated it, and gotten their third-degree burns subsequently infected.

Despite posting the Inglourious Basterds clip above, I wouldn't at all be surprised if dumbfuck Nazis started adopting scarification or branding themselves as a "look how 'ard I am" rite of passage and mark of dedication. I bet it already happens in the more hardcore groups.

The hardest of the hardcore brand a swastika on their uncut foreskin to prove how Not Jewish they are

Or at least I'd like to get the ball rolling on that happening because lmao

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Mx. posted:

AITA for not giving the cat I found back to her owner?

it's sad but like, after a year the cat's pretty bonded to you. It wouldn't be fair to the cat to suddenly dump them off to a new human

one of my cats is a major rear end in a top hat but I could never dream of giving him to someone else unless I became physically unable to take care of him or his brother. These circumstances are different, yes, but the sentiment is the same: it's been a year and that's his cat now

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Giving your kid like a used videogame console or whatever is fine if they know you're doing your best on a budget, but shampoo and toothpaste??? :lol:

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

The OP has no post history and made these three comments:

I don't know what you're talking about.

Edit:

Is this someone else posting that in the comments or do you have some magic way of seeing comment changes?

someone else in the thread posting

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Giving your kid like a used videogame console or whatever is fine if they know you're doing your best on a budget, but shampoo and toothpaste??? :lol:

Wasn't this literally the plot to the first episode of the Simpsons?

Tjadeth
Sep 16, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
VOLUNTEER
:nyan:

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Yeah, why is "used" the quibbling point here and not "a bunch of toiletries the parents should be providing anyway"?

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
The wife is loving an extreme couponer

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Agents are GO! posted:

Wasn't this literally the plot to the first episode of the Simpsons?

Pretty much lmao

Coffee Sludge
Dec 14, 2003

Dag nabbit
Grimey Drawer

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Having received a bottle of ketchup one christmas from my grandparents, yes it sucks and obviously you don't ever end up forgetting that you got a condiment (or other consumable) for a present.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'm no advanced math logician, but it sounds to me like "unsure" would be the better bet for any case where you didn't 100% definitely know the answer, particularly if N was greater than 2.

That was exactly my reasoning, and it paid off.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Coffee Sludge posted:

(or other consumable)

Except cigarettes. If you’re a smoker that’s as good as cash.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Coffee Sludge posted:

Having received a bottle of ketchup one christmas from my grandparents, yes it sucks and obviously you don't ever end up forgetting that you got a condiment (or other consumable) for a present.

Hahaha, I remember this kind of poo poo, several Christmases I received a couple packets of Knorr soup mix from my alcoholic sister.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Wow wife has some broke brain.

Given her reaction is just to ghost the entire family I don’t see her coming back from this. It’s like the beans lady where the bizarre behavior is so wrapped up in layers of denial bizarre thinking that they won’t even start talk about it no matter how it burns down their life.

who is beans lady

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

WoodrowSkillson posted:

who is beans lady

She will never endanger the beans

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
did anyone ever try to set up beans lady and bean dad

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

WoodrowSkillson posted:

who is beans lady

https://www.reddit.com/r/tifu/comments/fy06bv/tifu_by_demanding_that_my_girlfriend_show_me/

She said "I will never jeopardize the beans."

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

WoodrowSkillson posted:

who is beans lady

TIFU by demanding that my girlfriend show me where she buried our beans in the woods, causing her to break up with me.
M

quote:

I admit I posted a version of this on the relationship subreddit the other day, but they closed it with no explanation, I assume because they just decided it was fake. I can see how they might think that, but this is a true thing that happened and is happening, and now there is more to it because I actually got broken up with over it.

With all that is going on, we had stocked up on supplies, including some canned goods. I ordered a few weeks ago 30 cans of beans. 10 are black beans, 10 are kidney beans, and 10 are pink beans. Also, I ordered 15 cans of chickpeas. I thought this is a reasonable amount of beans and chickpeas to have every now and then and would last for quite some time.

However earlier this week I opened the cabinet because I wanted to make a vegetarian chili using two cans of beans, but all of the beans were gone. What the hell?

I asked my girlfriend and she told me she buried all of the beans in the woods.

At first I thought she was joking, but she explained, no, she had buried the beans in the woods. WTF?

I asked her to explain and she told me she was afraid that "if things get bad" we might have to worry about "looters or whatever" and that the beans would be in danger of being stolen. I said I thought this was completely ridiculous and unlikely. She became angry at me and said she "is protecting our beans."

According to her logic, the beans are safely buried in the woods behind our apartment complex, and if we ever need some beans she will go to the "stash" and dig up a can or two, but would prefer if we save them all for "if things get worse".

I said why only bury the beans, why not bury our more valuable items? She said the canned food was most valuable for long-term means, and that since we get fresh food in our online grocery deliveries, it would make sense to continue to stockpile beans. She intends to go bury more beans in the woods every week.

This was too insane for me and I got very upset. I demanded to know where the beans were buried, and she refused to tell me. She said if I knew she was afraid I'd dig them up, I said drat right I would. She said "I will never jeopardize the beans."

The following day I tried to put my foot down, and I'm not usually a foot downer but there are rare issues where compromise is out of the question, and I foolishly decided this was one of those issues. I demanded to know where the beans were buried and I told her if she was going to bury beans I paid for in the woods that I would move out. We fought about it and I kept insisting.

In hindsight I should have just let it go and created my own hidden stash of beans in the apartment, and given her time to maybe cool down about this bean burying scenario, but I blew it all out of proportion. Yeah it's weird to bury beans in the woods but why did I have to press it? What's the harm at the end of the day? In the grand scheme of things? But I kept demanding her to take me to the beans, or at least draw a map or something, and finally she BROKE UP WITH ME. Over the beans. I have lost the love of my life because I couldn't let the drat beans go. I am in disbelief. She moved out. Not only am I heartbroken but I am now paying full rent instead of 50% which is a huge financial issue for me.

TL;DR - I kept demanding that my girlfriend show me where she buried the beans in the woods and she got so angry at me that she ended our relationship and moved out. My heart is shattered and my finances are jeopardized because of a bean hoard.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I think I'll always remember March-May of 2020 as the absolute most bugfuck insane period of my life

Just everybody losing their god drat minds for two months straight

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I think I'll always remember March-May of 2020 as the absolute most bugfuck insane period of my life

Just everybody losing their god drat minds for two months straight

It's still happening, you've just adjusted to the new normal.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
The official Twitter of Jorts and Jean!
https://mobile.twitter.com/JortsTheCat

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Inceltown posted:

It's still happening, you've just adjusted to the new normal.

Good point lol

OhAreThey
Oct 12, 2012

I like your nurse's uniform, guy.

Coffee Sludge posted:

But what about a bottle of really good maple syrup?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

How do I handle MIL (70F) who wants to see my child (her grandchild) while ignoring my (33F) existance?

quote:

Hi all,

Apologies for any grammar mistakes: English is not my native language.

I am a 33F, I have been together with my husband (38M) for 8 years, married for 3. I'm going to give some information on my husband's family since it's relevant. Husband has 3 siblings, one older sister (40F, dating her boyfriend for 15 years), and two younger siblings (36M and 31F, both dating someone, no children). My father-in law and MIL were together for 30 years and divorced 20 years ago.

Father-in law has remarried a great lady and I get along with them in an amazing way, likewise for my husband's in-laws. However my MIL is a different story.

I have never spoken to her, nor has any other partner of any of my husband's siblings. She has decided that she doesn't 'feel the need' to know about their 'private lives'. Even when she was still together with FIL, when she found out about her oldest daughter having a boyfriend (at 18 years old) she threw a fit and decided he would never be welcome in her home.

Her attitude has never changed towards any of her children's partners. She always said that it is nothing 'personally', just that she doesn't need to know that side. This goes quite far, some examples:

- My BIL's GF had a car accident 3 years ago, her condition was bad for a while. Since MIL was a nurse, he asked her for advice. This took place at the beginning of december, and when she found out that the advice was for BIL's GF, she threw a fit and cancelled the christmas dinner she had planned for her and her children.

- My SIL's BF works for a telecom operator, many years ago MIL had an issue and SIL's BF managed to help resolve the issue, when she found out, she changed telecom operator

- At my boyfriend's graduation, she did not want us to be in the same elevator to reach the correct floor, me and the other in-laws had to wait, we were also not allowed to sit near her during the ceremony

- Whenever husband and I run into her (we don't live far away), my husband goes to greet her and I need to wait

- She has been invited to our house by my husband but she requested that every picture of me (or my family) would be gone and that I would not be there (she did the same to the other in-laws)

- Whenever her family asks about her children she says that they are all single

I could go on for a while about this. She also treats her ex-husband and her ex-in-law's exactly the same, refusing that FIL attends graduation ceremony's, throwing a fit when he invites his children for a christmas party.

It's important to note that there is no religous or cultural reason why she would not see or meet her children-in-law. She also makes up her own rules, at first it was because her children were dating without being married (while she did the same with FIL). She told her children that she would be ok to meet their partners after marriage.

When husband and I got married, she made a whole scandal about FIL and his wife being invited, demanding that they would not be attending. We decided that since FIL and his wife were always kind to us, they were more welcome than she was. MIL decided not to attend. There has never been any changement in her behaviour.

This whole situation has reached a breaking point since I am pregnant (8 months, baby is due mid-January). MIL is over the moon, has seen pictures of the echo, has been buying stuff for the baby etc. Which is normal since it's her first grandchild. However she has decided that she wants to see her first grandchild, while carrying on her current behaviour, aka: cutting me out.

I am not allowed to be there when she sees her grandchild. She also doesn't want nor husband, nor her grandchild to talk about me, since it's 'irrelevant'. She has said that she sees no reason to change her behaviour since it's not personal.

Except, it's not only her grandchild, but it's MY CHILD. After all these years of accomodating to her 'wishes' and non-existant norms and values, I freaked out. I told my husband that if this was the way that she was going to behave, that she would never see her grandchild, that I refuse for my child to be dictated by her irrational wishes.

This was 3 months ago, I have not changed my mind. From what I heared, MIL is 'very upset' and 'depressed' about my behaviour. Husband understands my opinion but thinks that I should give in since 'she's old' and 'It's her first grandchild' and how much of a great grandmother she would be.

Even his siblings have been telling me that they understand my point of view, but that it would be nice if I could let her see her grandchild once month. The only one fully supporting me are FIL and his wife.

Tl;dr: How do I handle this situation?

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0

OhAreThey posted:

artisanal stuff is a bit different, in the same way that a $200 bottle of champagne is a good gift while a bottle of Barefoot is not

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

The official Twitter of Jorts and Jean!
https://mobile.twitter.com/JortsTheCat

profile pic isn't a sweet potato 0/10

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Mx. posted:

How do I handle MIL (70F) who wants to see my child (her grandchild) while ignoring my (33F) existance?

loving burn it down op. If you ever had the moral high ground to demand that woman's head it's now

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Mx. posted:

What kind of person lets their parent do this to the person they supposedly love? :psyduck:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Mx. posted:

lol no one's actually stopping her

the only solution is to meet her power play and raise: DIL should show up at her doorstep with the baby

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Mx. posted:

quote:

The only one fully supporting me are FIL and his wife.

lol

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

MIL just living her best life of only ever interacting with or hearing about people she wants to and her spineless family indulging it, god bless

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Mx. posted:

OP should tell MIL that its nothing personal, but she just doesn't feel that the child needs to know about MIL's private life.

Coffee Sludge
Dec 14, 2003

Dag nabbit
Grimey Drawer

OhAreThey posted:

As an adult I would appreciate the poo poo out of a present like that. Same for honey as I have a penchant for rather dark types.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for getting pissy at someone who was howling at me while I was skating in fursuit?

quote:

So I decided to go skating in fursuit at a local small outdoor public skating rink. I basically expected to be bullied by children (I'm 24) so I brought along my roommate to help ground me. I am not as effected by bullies if I have a friend near me.

Most left me alone, watched from afar or made a cute quick comment. This one kid, no older than 18, started to howl as we skated around. I stared saying things like "can you please stop" and "wow so creative". I tried to not let it bug me but it did since it was constant for almost 20 minutes. I eventually got physically tired and went to sit down, but the kid who was howling was sitting next to my roommate. He kept howling and I made another pissy remark asking him to stop as his dad took off his skates.

It was at that moment his dad did something that looked like sign language and the dad looked slightly embarassed, I stopped midsentance. I was getting pissy at someone who may have had some sort of mental illness and couldn't control it. I offered the kid a high five (he took it) and did a few more laps until they left to avoid any more embarasment on my end.

So, Reddit, aita?

of course no pics or what the animal was.

I'd be impressed if he was skating in a mascot costume. That poo poo is hard.

AITA for not sharing my clients as a domme

quote:

I’ve been working as a findomme for a little while now and it’s been really lucrative financially.

My best friend, who I was living with, initially didn’t like me doing findom but when the money started coming in she wanted to get in on it too. She’s really enthusiastic but she doesn’t really have the attitude for it so she hasn’t been doing all that well and some of her clients have left her and came to me.

She was really annoyed about it and I tried to help her and give her some feedback but she thought I was being condescending and straight up told me to give her some of my clients. But I can’t really do that bc it’s up to them decide who they go to so she got mad at me.

Apparently she’s spent a lot on her credit card and thought she’d make enough money from findom to pay it back but I don’t want to be unethical to my clients so AITA for not sharing my clients?

What is the proper attitude for a findomme? Give me your money or else?

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

OhAreThey posted:

Thank you for reminding me about the bourbon barrel-aged maple syrup I got for my birthday and forgot about. I need to make some french toast or something.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Cowslips Warren posted:

of course no pics or what the animal was.

uhhhh presumably something canine, if i had to guess an animal known for howls

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0

Cowslips Warren posted:

What is the proper attitude for a findomme? Give me your money or else?

i imagine it would depend on the client. some might get off on that; some might want the domme to act bored and like it's not a big deal; some might prefer that they coo and fawn over everything they buy with their money. no form of BDSM is one-size-fits-all, which is why safewords are so important.

now im wondering if there are good findommes who have safe words and would cut a client off if they ventured into the realm of self harm, like a good regular domme would

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tjadeth
Sep 16, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
VOLUNTEER
:nyan:

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for not sharing my clients as a domme

give me your paypigs