Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

I mean the point raised by Hooman stands, but I also want to raise the idea that something without will, say a virus, can of course wish to preserve itself without will.

I would love to see a defense of this idea. Feel free to point me towards a paper or something, im not suggesting you defend it to me. However, i think you would either need to deny that there can be desire without will or you have to either redefine wish out of relevance to the current conversation or redefine what a self aware entity is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

skylined! posted:

gently caress man Harry Reid died.

Article in NV Independent. Appears to include a good biosketch.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

the_steve posted:

All y'all need to stop with the lovely snipes at each other.
All. Y'all.

Vagueposters, please try to be less vague in your posts. If you are doing a bad faith shitpost, at least make it amusing for us.

People who are unhappy about the vagueposts, please try asking them to elaborate before immediately jumping into accusations of bad faith shitposting, or just Report the post if you're certain that it is indeed a BFS.

Posters who want to keep trying to turn this into a feedback thread, please stop. Take it to QCS or message a Real Mod or use the Report button, just stop trying to air your grievances in this particular thread.

this thread now reads like Guyovich is still mod and QCS has transformed back into an FYAD lite

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I'm not sure why Europe doing something is any kind of evidence that that something is based on science isn't driven by corporate interests.

Are European countries free of corporate influence? When Sweden responded to covid by just opening er up on day 1 was that science based?

We're talking about Thalidomide Continent here

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

https://www.vox.com/2015/3/27/8299635/harry-reid-retires

quote:

After Reid's own father died, Reid found his marriage certificate and was surprised to discover that he and his younger brother were born out of wedlock. He called up his brother and said, "Hey, you little bastard," according to his memoir.

quote:

When a man tried to offer Reid a bribe in 1978, he reported it to the FBI. They set up a sting, but Reid ended up going off-script and choking the criminal as he was about to be arrested. "You son of a bitch, you tried to bribe me!" he said. (It was videotaped.)

Cow Bell
Aug 29, 2007

Now we'll never get to find out about all the aliens we've been covering up.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Bel Shazar posted:

I would love to see a defense of this idea. Feel free to point me towards a paper or something, im not suggesting you defend it to me. However, i think you would either need to deny that there can be desire without will or you have to either redefine wish out of relevance to the current conversation or redefine what a self aware entity is.

Wait, hang on. I didn't mean preserve. I meant "perpetuate" or "continue" itself. God dammit. Excuse me I can only apologise.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

Wait, hang on. I didn't mean preserve. I meant "perpetuate" or "continue" itself. God dammit. Excuse me I can only apologise.

Self-organizing, yeah ok that makes more sense.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Cow Bell posted:

Now we'll never get to find out about all the aliens we've been covering up.
RIP Harry Reid, killed by the Greys

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

RIP Harry Reid, killed by the ghost of Yucca Mountain

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

He learned John Madden died and was like “okay, gently caress it, I’m done too, see ya.”

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Can we fill yucca mountain with nuclear waste now

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
John Madden and Harry Reid in the same day, the state of Nevada is really feeling it today

Ruckby
Aug 25, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

Going through reports and I realize I missed some people who responded outside of the 30 minute window. If you'd like a 12 hour probation with whatever image I deem fit to use (or if you have a request let me know in it) please quote this post, I don't want to leave anybody thinking I have ignored them

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

tokyo reject
Jun 12, 2019

when she's tryin to slide into your dm's but you wanna talk about a better america

drat RIP Harry Reid

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Srice posted:

Honestly this CDC poo poo just feels like the logical endpoint after they told people to stop wearing masks back in May.

That was the death knell of my last remaining respect for the CDC and the governmental response. It seemed ludicrous and reckless to me as it was happening.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

US Current Events Jan: "You son of a bitch, you tried to bribe me!"

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

he was diagnosed around the same time my sis was with pancreatic cancer; he had 20 years in age + and an experimental treatment on her but still only made it two years further.

lowest survival rate of all cancers, like 5 percent make it to 5 years.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Willa Rogers posted:

he was diagnosed around the same time my sis was with pancreatic cancer; he had 20 years in age + and an experimental treatment on her but still only made it two years further.

Glioblastomas are basically in the same tier but either one is pretty much a death sentence

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

From what I've heard there's not actually a method to treat pancreatic cancer in any meaningful way.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Willa Rogers posted:

insulinoma?

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Isn't the major issue with pancreatic that it's drat hard to notice until too late?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
https://twitter.com/emptywheel/status/1475988988703952898?t=XFeQmQU0zpgML7jzC8LY2w&s=19

Feeling the same rage conservatives felt when we dunked on Reagan and Thatcher when they finally shuffled off the mortal coil

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Millions dead due John Madden's invention, Tackling.

But real talk there's an alternate timeline where the kick won out over the forward pass and Punters are gods in the NFL.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

rscott posted:

https://twitter.com/emptywheel/status/1475988988703952898?t=XFeQmQU0zpgML7jzC8LY2w&s=19

Feeling the same rage conservatives felt when we dunked on Reagan and Thatcher when they finally shuffled off the mortal coil

Marcy does good reporting, but this is such an embarrassing and dumb take.

We all know that football was never popular in the U.S. until the late 90's when Madden licensed his name to a video game. And that one specific video game caused Roger Goodell to cover up medical research.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

rscott posted:

john madden, the inventor of concussions and CTE, will have much to answer for as he faces God's judgment.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

rscott posted:

Feel like this is a contender for the worst tweet of all-time. At least top three.

(Though I admittedly have not ever had a Twitter account, but holy lmao that is the stupidest thing I've seen in a long time.)

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!
When you know what licensing is because you're very smart on Twitter professionally

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

rscott posted:

Concussions in football are a very serious issue, but this is the dumbest possible take.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Concussions in football are a very serious issue, but this is the dumbest possible take.

She is totally the poster who would snarkily refer to all sports as "SPORTSBALL" just in the interest of performative zaniness

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
It's the follow-up tweet of "I PLAYED RUGBY FOR SIX YEARS" that really sells the full-blown idiocy of it.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Abner Assington posted:

It's the follow-up tweet of "I PLAYED RUGBY FOR SIX YEARS" that really sells the full-blown idiocy of it.

Was it some cushy, Ivy league school? Was her pro rugby career maybe derailed by enlisting in the navy?

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

Amen.

Lib and let die posted:

Was it some cushy, Ivy league school? Was her pro rugby career maybe derailed by enlisting in the navy?

https://twitter.com/emptywheel/status/1475994328497537027

Just an astonishingly bad take.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Probably the result of latent concussions.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Abner Assington posted:

She's clearly evidence that whatever head protection they are using, it isn't enough

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Herstory Begins Now posted:

She's clearly evidence that whatever head protection they are using, it isn't enough

Seems to agree with it, at the least.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Lib and let die posted:

Women's rugby is still only fully professional in England, while some countries like New Zealand are only now finally following suit.

Also, rugby does have some major issues with concussion and is facing a class action lawsuit by former players of significant profile like Steve Thompson and Carl Hayman.

VitalSigns posted:

I'm not sure why Europe doing something is any kind of evidence that that something is based on science isn't driven by corporate interests.

Are European countries free of corporate influence? When Sweden responded to covid by just opening er up on day 1 was that science based?

We're talking about Thalidomide Continent here

Sweden's approach was to let the virus sweep through, and make the population more resilient to future infections. What has resulted is that they're seeing fewer infections and deaths compared to their neighbours, but it did also come at a high price, as their overall deaths still dwarf those of Denmark, Norway, etc.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Dec 29, 2021

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Yeah it's absolutely brutal with a lot of the same 'don't be a pussy play through it' culture as in football.

DarkCrawler posted:

Seems to agree with it, at the least.

I wish it was more of a joke cuz TBIs loving suck

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Lib and let die posted:

University of Michigan.

You need some kind of brain damage to play rugby in the Michigan winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Yeah it's absolutely brutal with a lot of the same 'don't be a pussy play through it' culture as in football.

The way Buck Shelford is celebrated for "playing on" against France in Nantes does need some serious self-reflection. Copped a stray blow in a ruck, loosening some teeth and got his groin trod on, rupturing a testicle.

Or poo poo as recent as the All Blacks v. Fiji test match in July this year, where everyone was celebrating a blatant head-high tackle by Levani Botia on the All Blacks fullback, Damien McKenzie.

At least they've introduced Head Injury Assessments and blood bins, where a player can be temporarily replaced if they either have taken a blow to the head or are currently bleeding.