Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'

Bust Rodd posted:

PS4’s are gonna hold their value until PS5’s become more available, which won’t happen until summer 2022 at the earliest but more likely Holiday 2022. If you’re jonesing to game I would secure a PS4 or a PS4Pro now and if you’re savvy enough you could probably sell it for what you paid for it by the end of the summer and get a PS5 for Christmas.

But yeah I would buy one sooner rather than later in case there’s another COVID outbreak and the chip shortages get pushed back another 6 months.

I ordered a slim white 500gb for about £180, with an Astro c40 controller thrown in which seems like a really good deal as they can go for around £80 on their own. But then the dude messages me saying he’s away until Jan 15th and do I want a refund or can I wait? Fuuuuuuuu now I don’t know whether to wait for 2 metaphorical marshmallows or eat the one.. sooner. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

4 years ago I put a PS4 or craigslist for $100 and no one bit for 4 months until someone offered to trade me an Xbone for it. My how times have changed.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Read After Burning posted:

Any experience with House Flipper or Alba: A Wildlife Adventure, specifically on PS4?

I'm buying House Flipper and no one can stop me. :colbert:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

veni veni veni posted:

4 years ago I put a PS4 or craigslist for $100 and no one bit for 4 months until someone offered to trade me an Xbone for it. My how times have changed.

Absolutely insane. It's a good reminder of how over-leveraged the economic apparatus of the world has been for like 50 years, where a diminishing standard of living at the center of empire has been offset with subsidized access to electronic consumer goods made elsewhere via slave labor. Corona just brought the contradictions into the foreground.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Absolutely insane. It's a good reminder of how over-leveraged the economic apparatus of the world has been for like 50 years, where a diminishing standard of living at the center of empire has been offset with subsidized access to electronic consumer goods made elsewhere via slave labor. Corona just brought the contradictions into the foreground.

If anything good has come from it, it's made me kind of appreciate my stuff more. Everything from food to games to my 10 year old car feel way less disposable to me. At the end of the day it's still just stuff, which comes and goes, but I feel like it's something worth valuing, instead of just waiting to throw it away for the newer, shiner thing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

And yeah 50 years probably isn't inaccurate, but really the last decade or so, rampant consumerism has reached a degree where it's sort of alarming. Maybe some shortages are what we need right now.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

And yeah 50 years probably isn't inaccurate, but really the last decade or so, rampant consumerism has reached a degree where it's sort of alarming. Maybe some shortages are what we need right now.

you're prolly right yeah, though I mean it def started to ramp up in the 80s with stuff made in Japan, then 90s China, then 00s Korea and Taiwan and Brazil, etc etc etc

We're running out of places to exploit under the umbrella of neoliberalism, but yeah, ever since the Iraq War and iPhones hitting the market we've been running on loving fumes for this thing. They very idea that people would be "buying" new $500 phones like every other year for the past 15 years and at the same time don't have healthcare or job security and we all thought it was somehow normal...it's like the kind of crazy nightmare that people living in the 1920s and 1930s would loving gawk at.

Like the majority of average household discretionary income in the last 30 years is going down the toilet and meanwhile huge numbers of people around the world are living on mercury infested waste dumps but we can't see what's happening because it's all changing so fast around us and there are so many flashing lights.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Dec 29, 2021

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Makes me think of these classics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brKxVGMh4BU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcXabVMXEgc

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Boy, if I tell BP I’m on the iPhone Upgrade Programme he’ll probably fly to England and shove my head in a guillotine himself.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

Boy, if I tell BP I’m on the iPhone Upgrade Programme he’ll probably fly to England and shove my head in a guillotine himself.

Look, I'm not trying to indict regular people, alright?

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

please tell me i can play this in the united states of america

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

IG-88 posted:

please tell me i can play this in the united states of america

That carpet looks like it's what Round One uses so maybe if you live near one.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'm buying House Flipper and no one can stop me. :colbert:

It’s very enjoyable, relaxing and sometimes oddly spooky. Good decision.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Hot take maybe but I liked this movie more when a large chunk was lost and it barely made any sense

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Kilometers Davis posted:

It’s very enjoyable, relaxing

Yeah, this is what drew me to it. I wish Power Wash Simulator would come to consoles, that looks pretty satisfying too.

Kilometers Davis posted:

and sometimes oddly spooky.

...Oh? Nice! Now I'm double-stoked to play it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

haveblue posted:

Hot take maybe but I liked this movie more when a large chunk was lost and it barely made any sense

my first time watching it was an old dvd copy that a friend synced up with OK Computer & How Am I Driving EP. It was awesome.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think the first time I saw it it was the colourised version with the Freddy Mercury soundtrack lol

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Yeah, this is what drew me to it. I wish Power Wash Simulator would come to consoles, that looks pretty satisfying too.

...Oh? Nice! Now I'm double-stoked to play it.

I didn’t even know that game was a thing and now I want it too.

It really does get creepy at night. You’re just methodically fixing up some abandoned house and there’s never anything happening outside. You know there’s no life outside or inside the home but it always puts me on edge about the What Ifs. Cleaning the windows while it’s dark also triggers some sort of fear in my lizard brain.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

veni veni veni posted:

If anything good has come from it, it's made me kind of appreciate my stuff more. Everything from food to games to my 10 year old car feel way less disposable to me. At the end of the day it's still just stuff, which comes and goes, but I feel like it's something worth valuing, instead of just waiting to throw it away for the newer, shiner thing.

I had a similar thought. IDK that I'd go as far as to say it's better this way (especially since it least affects the rich), but something feels off when stuff that would have been marvels of technology not too long ago is treated as completely disposable.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Kilometers Davis posted:

I didn’t even know that game was a thing and now I want it too.

It really does get creepy at night. You’re just methodically fixing up some abandoned house and there’s never anything happening outside. You know there’s no life outside or inside the home but it always puts me on edge about the What Ifs. Cleaning the windows while it’s dark also triggers some sort of fear in my lizard brain.

Ooh, that's honestly one of my favorite types of creepy in games. I'm terrified of the ocean, and I still can't play the sub parts in GTAV. I know nothing is going to attack me, people have data mined the game to hell and back. But...what if? :tinfoil:

Also, I feel like it's gonna be a hard :same: for me regarding cleaning the windows at night.

Can't wait to play!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Ooh, that's honestly one of my favorite types of creepy in games. I'm terrified of the ocean, and I still can't play the sub parts in GTAV. I know nothing is going to attack me, people have data mined the game to hell and back. But...what if? :tinfoil:

Also, I feel like it's gonna be a hard :same: for me regarding cleaning the windows at night.

Can't wait to play!

I think you’ll love it. There’s just something about the atmosphere of it. The empty houses, the way you’re never really pushed forward. It’s always on you to figure out what you want to do and where to go next. The lack of detail and outside the house action lets your brain fill in a lot. The sound design is really good too. I mean, it’s not like carefully sculpted or super high quality but it’s just right for the game. It helps you get into the cleaning zone and then suddenly you start getting a weird feeling going room to room, passing windows, etc. I’m a huge fan of that kind of creepy. When I was a kid I would look outside at night expecting like a grey alien or something just staring right at me completely motionless.

It really is a very pleasant easygoing game though lol but if you’ve got a similar brain to mine then yup you’ll discover that strange side of the game for sure.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

are u all okay

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
not really

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

beep by grandpa posted:

are u all okay

doing pretty well, playing assassin's creed on the vita. It's... not great

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

beep by grandpa posted:

are u all okay

beep by beap

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
So I ended up loving Spider-Man Miles Morales enough to 100% it on New Game +, a thing I literally never do. It helps that it's pretty short and zipping around the city never gets old, and it's a nice touch that depending on when you do various side missions there are minor dialogue changes so you can at least switch it up on the second time through.

I never touch Photo Modes either, but there was a trophy for this one and it made me curious enough to dabble, and soon enough I was snapshotting Spider-Man all over Manhattan. It never even occurred to me until looking online that people use it for action scenes, I literally only took shots of SM just hanging out. Here's a few that I think turned out well:

SM getting coffee:

I only took this shot because of that mouse just inexplicably chilling on the hood of that car behind them:

ASMAB:

Fun fact on this one, they gave SM a bunch of little dance animations for this small part of this side mission that's never called attention to and never used again:

Missed opportunity for a Spider-Longshoreman outfit imo:

There are three Spider-Mans in this picture:

Here is SM seconds away from scaring the poo poo out of the meals-on-wheels guy doing a high speed turn in heavy traffic during a blizzard:

Is SMMM the best winter holiday vibes game of all time?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Wolfsheim posted:

I only took this shot because of that mouse just inexplicably chilling on the hood of that car behind them:

it's new york. that's a rat

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
you say rat, I say treasured friend

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Late reply but I agree with you. My old rear end PC (mix of old stuff and newer like my i7 2600k paired with 2 samsung SSDs and a 1080Ti) is still a great combo for gaming that I don't want to replace because I don't want to overpay.

I slapped CFW on a PS3 that was a gift from a friend and I'm enjoying the poo poo out of it making ISOs of 2nd hand games I've been picking up and emulating other games. Like, I loving love this thing in 2021.

My 2016 PS4 Slim works perfectly and the PS5 being hard as hell to get, I do appreciate it more now.

My 2004 Mazda 3 is still in good shape, cheap and easy to maintain/repair and cars went more expensive/weaker.

So now, my money goes to enjoy other stuff like traveling or something as simple as trekking with my girlfriend with a few sandwiches, some water and pistachios in my backpack. Trekking is great because you can avoid covid, enjoy some fresh air and then come back home to rest and play vidyagames and call it a day.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

beep by grandpa posted:

are u all okay

Could be a lot better, could be WAY worse. I have too much on my gaming plate right now, but depression's got me hella behind on playing them. However, it's been raining all week here and I'm looking forward to heading home, curling up in bed, and cozily poking around in at least three games. The problem is, I have several "big" games I could start, and the indecision is causing me to play none of them. Disco Elysium is basically at the top of the list, though.

Psychonauts 2 has been really enjoyable for me so far, I just unlocked the whole overworld and unless I'm missing something, it seems like I have a choice of a couple of different levels to do next? I don't remember the first game doing that, that's pretty cool.

I've almost beat Call of the Sea, that's been a neat walking sim/Myst-lite.

GoutPatrol posted:

doing pretty well, playing assassin's creed on the vita. It's... not great

Liberation? Or the side-scrollers?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Guillermus posted:

Trekking is great because you can avoid covid, enjoy some fresh air and then come back home to rest and play vidyagames and call it a day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1pzN3CgANE

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Yeah, that works because none will get close enough for a conversation

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Liberation? Or the side-scrollers?

Liberation. Out of the three "semi-open world" games I played on the Vita (Gravity Rush, Uncharted, and this...and I guess the Need for Speed counts) it runs...very poorly. The only previous game I played in the series was the first one over a decade ago.

I made a post on resetera a couple weeks ago about how I don't want to buy any more games in 2022 (besides the PS Plus games, because my account is paid through 2023) and only try and play through my backlog. One day I will write it out and see how much stuff I have just waiting to play I haven't even touched for the PS3, PS4, and Vita.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Maybe this was something that was in the first Psychonauts game and I just missed it, but gently caress I hate Raz's family, particularly his mom and older brother. A lot.

GoutPatrol posted:

Liberation. Out of the three "semi-open world" games I played on the Vita (Gravity Rush, Uncharted, and this...and I guess the Need for Speed counts) it runs...very poorly. The only previous game I played in the series was the first one over a decade ago.

I made a post on resetera a couple weeks ago about how I don't want to buy any more games in 2022 (besides the PS Plus games, because my account is paid through 2023) and only try and play through my backlog. One day I will write it out and see how much stuff I have just waiting to play I haven't even touched for the PS3, PS4, and Vita.

I played Liberation and quite enjoyed it, but this was also at the peak of my obsession with the Assassin's Creed series (plus I played the PS3 port). I actually really liked the outfit mechanic.

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 30, 2021

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Is there a Ghost Recon: Breakpoint thread? I couldn't find one

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Inspector Hound posted:

Is there a Ghost Recon: Breakpoint thread? I couldn't find one

There was a GR: Wildlands but it's archived and none made a Breakpoint thread either (or is dead and archived already), post your questions in here! The few that play it enjoy talking about it!

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Anyone have a trip report on Guardians of the Galaxy on the Pro? I've heard people say the later chapters have framerate issues.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
I got the slim and it’s both dope and funky fresh. I missed out on the whole last gen so these modern games are pretty mindblowing - picked up Bloodborne, MonHun World, Nier: Automata & Slay the Spire. Any recs for other good starter PS4 games or must-plays? Having a blast with this :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Horizon Zero Dawn looks and plays amazing and was my game of that generation.