Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
The Last Duel is, as someone said earlier, Scott's best in a very long time. That said, I have no need to ever see it again. It was very uncomfortable to watch, with good reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
French Dispatch was a visual treat and really fun but also no reason to rewatch beyond the visual overload. Definitely Wes Anderson at his most.

4/5

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Hypnotic on Netlfix is piss from a butthole.

It seems like it was filmed in the Adam Sandler style, aka over a weekend.

The plot would be better if it didn't take itself seriously, because it's absolutely baffling taken at straight value. You're basically saying, No, that's not how this works, that's not how anything works.

And Burton Gastor is doing batman voice for some reason. To be a gruff detective. And taking ambien. A literal brilliant comedic actor and casted as a gruff detective. What the gently caress.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Halloween Kills, what an . . . . experience. I'm glad I saw it. The joy I've had in talking about it with people over the last week really justifies the time spent watching it. It's bonkers that this got made. I wish I could see the notes from Peacock. Or maybe there were no notes at all. What entity is responsible for the film that got made? I want to shake their or theirs hands. What a brave decision, to finally toss any sort of regard for the people who just happen to die, and focus on the real victim here: Michael Myers. drat I hope a Rifftrax of this gets made someday.

I braved the movie theater which might be among the more dangerous places you can go in Arizona to see Dune. I enjoyed it a ton and am glad I went to IMAX for it. I didn't have any trouble tracking the story, which is something I was warned about but didn't seem to be a problem. Yes, I'm super tired of white savior films but well...I really liked this.

I re-watched It Follows and it held up quite well for me; I always worry about the difference between seeing something like this opening night in a theater with a friend and a great crowd, that it won't be the same watching in my living room. No problem here. There are some nice bits that I just didn't get the first time I saw it so I'm glad I rewatched it. It remains one of my favorite horror films ever.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Rick posted:

Yes, I'm super tired of white savior films but well...I really liked this.

Well, I suppose you're in luck that it isn't one of those. :)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Rick posted:

Halloween Kills, what an . . . . experience.

We ended up in the wrong theater the other night and tried to watch this since we missed our movie's start. We only made it 20 minutes in. What a loving trainwreck. One of the most bizarre and poorly made things I've ever watched. The tone, pacing, and acting were worse than amateur Youtube horror short films I've seen. The talent show bar scene is just pure strain :psyduck: and not in a fun way. We left at the part where he stabs the guy in the car then hits the girl with the car door making her shoot herself.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Clockwatchers - very fun movie about Parker Posey, Lisa Kudrow, Toni Collette and Alanna Ubachgo going crazy from having to temp at an office. great performance by Parker Posey as always

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
I went to the see The French Dispatch twice last week, although I should admit that part of the reason is I had a gift card from Christmas 2019 that was burning a hole in my wallet. Still I did enjoy the movie although, as others have said, it is probably his most Wes Anderson film to date. My favorite part was probably the animated chase scene in the kidnapping story.

Also, cross-posting from the political cartoon thread, here is the recent cartoon from Stan Kelly, in house political cartoonist for The Onion.

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

"Box Office Fop"

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Well, I suppose you're in luck that it isn't one of those. :)

That is good to know for sure.

Bottom Liner posted:

We ended up in the wrong theater the other night and tried to watch this since we missed our movie's start. We only made it 20 minutes in. What a loving trainwreck. One of the most bizarre and poorly made things I've ever watched. The tone, pacing, and acting were worse than amateur Youtube horror short films I've seen. The talent show bar scene is just pure strain :psyduck: and not in a fun way. We left at the part where he stabs the guy in the car then hits the girl with the car door making her shoot herself.

It's truly . . . . something else. I've decided that it is just Final Destination 6 and we are seeing the move from the perspective of death.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Rick posted:

That is good to know for sure.

It's truly . . . . something else. I've decided that it is just Final Destination 6 and we are seeing the move from the perspective of death.

We saw Halloween Kills in the theater and it was really wild how bad it was, compared to the first one. Just dogshit film school movie dialogue abounding, especially when any two characters begin talking about the nature of evil. It's also a weirdly balanced movie, with a middle section where Meyers chews through crowds, bookended by two much more intimate home invasion\murders of minority couples. Then some more carnage at the end to throw a bit of wobble into the spin.

I kind of got the message that we have this problem (an elderly white boy maniac disrupting society) and a mass movement to do something about it which has made the participants a similar threat who are no safer from the threat for having banded together (though at least when they dide they die quicker). Not doing anything about it leaves you vulnerable to a slower, more terrifying death; basically you and I can do nothing about anything. What we really need is to wait for is the good elderly white lady maniac and her friend, the good cop, to heal up and act on our behalf because, at best, we unexceptional masses can only hope to passively exist while way up over our pay grade the Elect are evenly matched so that they can fight it out without causing too many casualties down here.

I think I really enjoyed the spectacle of it though. It's just a neat little trash fire and I am here for the next one. I love me a mess.

amaguri
Mar 27, 2010

mistermojo posted:

Clockwatchers - very fun movie about Parker Posey, Lisa Kudrow, Toni Collette and Alanna Ubachgo going crazy from having to temp at an office. great performance by Parker Posey as always

One of my absolute favorite movies that no one's ever heard of (or sometimes mistaken for Clockstoppers which is, uh, not the same at all...)

Last Night in SoHo was about 80% good and 20% idiotic so I guess that's a 4/5? I'm easily impressed by stylish filmmaking even when the substance is a little iffy

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Dune (Villeneuve) 0/10 need more pug

Dune (Lynch) 10/10 has pug

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020
Diary of a Mad Housewife (1970, seen on Criterion Channel) - I think the last five minutes really are the heart of the film and I thought Carrie Snodgress was terrific in it. It's a really infuriating movie most of the time. 7/10

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Belfast 4.5/5 - Best of the year so far. Does the same general thing as Jojo Rabbit but executes it better. Tons of heart and the "love letter to movies and the escapism they give" stuff worked really well.

Ghostbusters Afterlife 3/5 - Actually feels like an 80s movies in a lot of ways, which is an achievement itself. The cameos during the climax killed it and robbed the kids of their story. I don't know where the line is for recreating people with CGI, but this was definitely over the line and made me uncomfortable. The beginning of that part where the camera was pointing down and just showed his hand on hers helping her hold the proton beam was great and actually powerful emotional imagery, but then it panned up and showed his face and then everything else happens.

Eternals 3.5/5 - I thought it was way better than the aggregate scores are saying, and I suspect that's more a general hero movie fatigue than Eternals specific. The look and feel of everything was refreshing in a way the MCU desperately needs.

Dune 4/5 - nothing to add that hasn't been said.

Venom 2 3/5 - Dumb fun super hero movie that had the good sense to stay small.

No Time to Die 3/5 - What a weird movie, what a weird Bond movie. The action was dull, the villain was garbage, the plot was a lot of nonsense even by "Bond saves the world" standards, but the emotional stuff really landed. Kind of the opposite of what I want in a Bond movie.

Blue Bayou 4.5/5 - The other best of the year so far. Brutal movie. Great performances, would be the best of the year if it weren't for the caricatured cop character that felt really out of place and off tone with the rest of the film.

Quiet Place 2 3/5 - It stayed small like the first and added to the story but was pretty forgettable and not needed.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Nov 24, 2021

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Blues Brothers 2000: Gentleman's C.

The Good
  • Impressive array of musicians - Clapton, Paul Shaffer, Steve Winwood, Billie Preston, B.B King, etc.
  • John Goodman was pretty good without trying to "replace" Belushi.
  • Decent handling of Belushi's death.
  • I didn't really find "Buster" annoying.
  • Most/all of the original Blues Brothers Band musicians came back and seemed to still be at the top of their games.
  • Decent musical selections.

The Bad
  • So many plot points that never really went anywhere: the Russians (obvious stand-in for "Illinois Nazis"), the battle of the bands.
  • So much Deus ex machina. In the original, the brothers being on a "mission from God" was like a running gag that kept them safe. In this one it felt like the plot demanded that they stay alive/uncaught.
  • So much of the plot is a retread of the original. In a few cases I appreciate the nods (the return of Bob) but most of the plot just follows the 1980 movie.

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020
Just saw C'mon C'mon in theaters

All 3 of the main leads were really solid and it was a very endearing film
I think if I was under the age of 25 or maybe even 30, the film would not have had much of an impact but a lot of the issues in the film (parents with dementia, siblings growing apart, partners/parents with bipolar disorder) hit especially hard and I found the film really touching
Definitely recommend

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Another weekend meant another lucky dip of whatever I could be bothered to find.

A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge
Anyone who says this movie has a "gay subtext" simply hasn't seen said movie. It's not a subtext at all. That aside, it's a pretty lame sequel and Wes Craven himself thought it was dumb:

quote:

"I didn't like the second script. I thought it was a silly script. There was not a clear-cut hero who remained intact. Freddy coming out of [the hero] really violated the viewers' ability to identify with him. I suggested they make the girl across the street the hero. I thought it would have been much wiser to make her the central character. I also thought they brought Freddy much too much into the realm of reality and put him in situations where he was diminished. You want Freddy to be always threatening and overpowering. But when he's running around a swimming pool with a bunch of teenagers who are all bigger than he is, he starts to look really silly."
And yes, it does look silly. Freddy Krueger, supernatural terror of your nightmares, enters the real world and scares nobody by dancing around like a fool before calmly walking away from dozens of potential victims and disappearing into a hedge. For a movie calling itself "Freddy's Revenge", there really isn't much in the way of revenge nor screentime for Freddy, measuring in at around 13 minutes out of 87. Even without that issue, it's just a bit of a crap film, honestly. I mean it's far from being unwatchable garbage, and is by no means the worst movie ever, but it's a pretty dull affair as far as slashers go even if it does have some neat special effects to grab your attention every so often. Not a patch on the original though.
Score: I dunno, 5.5/10 or something. I think I'm actually being a bit generous with that, but compared to the next offering...

Hell of the Living Dead
poo poo on toast. An "unofficial sequel to an unofficial sequel" or something like that. Tries to be like Zombie Flesh Eaters (remote island full of mysterious man-eating corpses risen from the grave) and shamelessly apes Dawn of the Dead (right down to copying the SWAT uniforms and recycling the OST by Dario Argento/Goblin), yet fails at being anything close to both. It's just so loving boring, outside of a few comically absurd effects. Absolute balls with some of the stupidest characters ever committed to film. The dialogue is just mind-bendingly bad too.
Score: 3/10 at best, and I think I'm only giving it that high a score because this zombie (or these zombies? I think it's supposed to be the same one) had an expression which blindsided me twice and left me in hysterics for a couple of minutes:

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
The Power of the Dog was slow, deliberate, and really good. The acting was superb. What a strange film, but in a good way. Benedict Cumberbund was fantastic.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Ready Player One — avoided this like the plague when it came out despite otherwise liking a lot of Spielberg’s late-career work. Feels like it’s been getting at least a whiff of a re-evaluation lately, and good reviews for West Side Story made me want to fill in the gap.

It doesn’t hang together at all as a movie but in the middle of a dumb crypto, NFT and Metaverse gold rush it at least feels pretty accurate. It’s easy to read as an extremely bleak satire of the entertainment industry right now — and I don’t think that’s completely unintentional. Mark Rylance helps sell that take with a great performance as a barely functional autistic tech God. Ben Mendelsohn’s also good in a Ben Mendelsohn type role.

Unfortunately, the rest of the cast is awful and all the mocap is terrible compared to what Spielberg did a few years earlier in TinTin. By the end any juice the concept has is gone and you just want it to stop. That feels timely, too

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

morestuff posted:

Ready Player One — avoided this like the plague when it came out despite otherwise liking a lot of Spielberg’s late-career work. Feels like it’s been getting at least a whiff of a re-evaluation lately, and good reviews for West Side Story made me want to fill in the gap.

It doesn’t hang together at all as a movie but in the middle of a dumb crypto, NFT and Metaverse gold rush it at least feels pretty accurate. It’s easy to read as an extremely bleak satire of the entertainment industry right now — and I don’t think that’s completely unintentional. Mark Rylance helps sell that take with a great performance as a barely functional autistic tech God. Ben Mendelsohn’s also good in a Ben Mendelsohn type role.

Unfortunately, the rest of the cast is awful and all the mocap is terrible compared to what Spielberg did a few years earlier in TinTin. By the end any juice the concept has is gone and you just want it to stop. That feels timely, too

"You killed my mother's sister"

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020
Nightmare Alley(2021) is really terrific and a stellar story with a super stacked cast. It's definitely one of my favorite GDT movies so far
The set design of the carnival and the sideshows and the dark rides were fantastic but I think one thing about this film I appreciated compared to some of his other films is that the story and the characters didn't feel so secondary to the visuals which I've felt sometimes about his other projects
8.5/10
the ending maybe felt a little too abrupt but feels true to the era of the adaptation source

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

LemonLimeSoda posted:

the ending maybe felt a little too abrupt but feels true to the era of the adaptation source

the original 1947 version continues after the 2021 version ends. it's also extremely good.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Red Rocket - was excited to see this because I love Simon Rex. Believable actors from what is supposed to be a poor town but the story wasn’t really that interesting. Felt pretty uncomfortable with the scenes with the the young girl and the ending was just terrible. Every one in my theater was audibly confused. I don’t know, maybe I missed all the nuance… 4/10

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
The Green Knight : just awesome. Earthy, creepy, weird and compelling. The whole thing feels like a dream. Can't wait to watch it again!

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Demons 2:
Erm, I fell asleep at about the one-hour mark so I'll have to try again, preferably when it's not 4AM and I'm not drunk & tired. In any case, the film features another platoon of The Dumbest Characters Ever™ serving as fodder for the titular demons while nothing else of note seems to really happen.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Benadetta:Verhoven hasn't lost anything off of his fastball at what? Mid 80s? This is a ridiculous movie that is a little heavy handed but I didn't mind it because that is what he does. I really enjoyed it. The ending is way better than you think it's going to be!

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Don't Look Up: Would probably have been an excellent skit or short film. It does nothing to justify its two hour runtime and indeed just repeats the same themes and jokes over and over. Every actor in it is very good and it's punctuated by occasional brilliance, but ultimately is bizarrely slow-paced considering the urgency of the premise. The ending is extremely good and potentially worth sitting through the rest of it. 6/10

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Licorice Pizza ?/5. I really don't know where to start with this movie. Alana Haim gave a killer performance and her character was great, but that's all undercut by the movie being a fever dream teenage boy fantasy. It's just loving bizarre. The random racist "jokes", the meandering plot (and I mean this in a bad way, despite usually loving this style from PTA), the looseness of details. If the characters were different it would have a good "teenage romance" hectic feel, but that makes no sense given the central conceit of Alana's character and the focus being on her more than Gary. The production design and cinematography were strong though.

Gut says 2/5 just because it could have been so much more.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Dec 27, 2021

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Val - not sure why I haven’t heard more about this but I’m guessing it’s because Amazon buries everything it buys. Basically Val Kilmer’s Tarnation, and it’s as weird and embarrassing and genuinely touching as you’d hope for. It’s seriously brave in how much it shares about Val’s personal life, but the details of that life are usually thrown-out Zoolander gags. Self-serving and cloying in a way that makes it more interesting rather than less. Just a strange unique thing.

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
The worst person in the world was absolutely fantastic, caught me a bit by surprise and might just be my favorite film of the year over cmon cmon and dune. 9/10

Don't look up... Eh. feels harsh, but i really did not enjoy much about it at all. If anything i actively disliked its writing. Felt like what you see in TV in gta 4. Really, like whoever writes the gta satire wrote a whole film. 2/10

Benedetta. Got some rough spots, and far from my favorite film of the year. But really enjoyable 7/10

A taxi driver. For whatever reason thought this was a comedy. It wasn't. But it was good. 7/10

Cmom cmon. Beautiful all around. Obviously we knew phoenix could act, but that kid is also great. So are the interviews. 9/10

New Matrix. Pretty bad tbh. But had an enjoyable middle part at least. 3/10

Boogie nights. First time l watched this. A bit late i know. But drat, what a cock. 8/10

French dispatch. Fairly meh, especially for Wes Anderson standards. 5/10

Raw. Liked titane but liked this even more. 8/10

Lamb. A bit slow, but looked good and was creepy. 6/10

Last night in soho. Good for the most part, but the ending part kind of sucked rear end. 6/10

The green Knight. Nothing too amazing, but i liked it quite a bit anyway. 7/10

The humans. Ended just when it finally got interesting. 3/10

House of gucci. Could have been a lot more, and Leto sucked even more than i imagined he would. Still decent and enjoyable. 6/10.

Woodenlung fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Dec 29, 2021

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Leto is the best part honestly, without the cartoon Italian accents there’s not a ton of movie

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
It's not perfect, and honestly it's been a long time since I've seen a parody film that was, but A Clüsterfünke Christmas sends up the Hallmark/Lifetime Christmas film well enough. If you want to see those made fun of a bit I think you'll like this.

Love Hard is one of the better of these formulaic Lifetime christmas movies I've seen. They give away a ton just in the description but it didn't ruin it for me. What helps it is a pretty witty script that stops its adherence to the formula less annoying.

A former famous poster on this website suggested A Husband For Christmas. It kind of came around at the end but I almost quit watching like three times.

I loved the new Matrix. To me it really was the best way to bring it up to current times.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I really thought Benedetta was quite lame, like cringeworthy for a master of satire and just incredibly cheap looking, verging on the worst thing I've seen this year. I'm glad he's going back to working with Tippett for his next film because while Black Book was nothing to write home about his output after has been rough.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
I liked Don't Look Up for the most part. It did run a little long, and I think they could've cut the middle part where President Orlean switches her stance and briefly takes a presidential approach saving the planet. It goes against the main narrative of the problem of everyone doubling down on obviously failing worldviews. Not that Ron Perlman wasn't good in his minor role here, but going straight to the corporate "solution" would've made a lot more sense. Dr. Mindy's affair with the TV host could've been shortened as well.

I thought the early stages of the movie were good Adam McKay political commentary, particularly going hard on the NYT and the introduction of his psychopathic billionaire Musk/Bezos stand-in. I wasn't sure what to expect with the ending, but I thought the story came together nicely after the meandering middle. The liberties McKay could take with a fictional story really paid off with the final scene. Ariana Grande's titular song for the film was on point too.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Just watched Don't Look Up. poo poo it was flat out awful. Terrible writing, meandered on way too long, and great casting couldn't save it.

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020

Bottom Liner posted:

Licorice Pizza ?/5. I really don't know where to start with this movie. Alana Haim gave a killer performance and her character was great, but that's all undercut by the movie being a fever dream teenage boy fantasy. It's just loving bizarre. The random racist "jokes", the meandering plot (and I mean this in a bad way, despite usually loving this style from PTA), the looseness of details. If the characters were different it would have a good "teenage romance" hectic feel, but that makes no sense given the central conceit of Alana's character and the focus being on her more than Gary. The production design and cinematography were strong though.

Gut says 2/5 just because it could have been so much more.

I think these are all great points - I genuinely was entertained throughout the movie and enjoyed just living in this world for the runtime - but it did feel meandering and the ending honestly took a lot of goodwill I had for the movie away I just don't feel like they should have gotten together. It was off-putting and bizarre
The Japanese restaurant owner - For me, I felt like it was poking fun at the stereotype of GIs who were in the Pacific and come back stateside with much younger Asian brides but the film definitely treated his two wives as expendable punchlines and my girlfriend (who is Cambodian) was disgusted by the two bits and the theater crowd laughter.
The film never outright stated he was a veteran so maybe I'm assuming too much

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

LemonLimeSoda posted:

The Japanese restaurant owner - For me, I felt like it was poking fun at the stereotype of GIs who were in the Pacific and come back stateside with much younger Asian brides but the film definitely treated his two wives as expendable punchlines and my girlfriend (who is Cambodian) was disgusted by the two bits and the theater crowd laughter.
The film never outright stated he was a veteran so maybe I'm assuming too much

I mean...that's kind of the point those scenes drive home, it's awkward as gently caress especially if you know what the women are actually saying. The scenes are attempting to capture a type of paternalistic racism/orientalism that I'm not exactly sure people nowadays actually understand the gist of anymore, being divorced of the time period. And this all even predates the 'asian invasion' rhetoric that was passed around so much during the 80s. So yeah, it's horribly offensive, but people laugh at horribly offensive poo poo for all kinds of reasons.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I mean...that's kind of the point those scenes drive home, it's awkward as gently caress especially if you know what the women are actually saying. The scenes are attempting to capture a type of paternalistic racism/orientalism that I'm not exactly sure people nowadays actually understand the gist of anymore, being divorced of the time period. And this all even predates the 'asian invasion' rhetoric that was passed around so much during the 80s. So yeah, it's horribly offensive, but people laugh at horribly offensive poo poo for all kinds of reasons.

that's a pretty poo poo excuse when the execution is as bad as it was in this both times

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

that's a pretty poo poo excuse when the execution is as bad as it was in this both times

I'm not making an excuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Does anyone have a rundown of what they see in actually was? I haven't seen the movie I've just seen people argue about something racist in it.