Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xaris posted:

it would be a good start but even right now a lot of those tech office parks and financial districts are empty ghost towns and traffic et al is somehow way worse. all those overpriced $15 mixed happy greens salad lunch places that popped out in the 00-10s catering to tech and finance workers in the fidi are closed up for good and ain't much left around there. lotta tech companies seem like they're gunna stick to zoom work permanently.

also i've been working on a construction adjacent to caltrain tracks and it's just empty trains rolling in every 30 minutes without a single head in sight.

so it does not seem like it'll actually do all that much based on current state of things. but certainly torch all the cubicles and open office desks inside and put in beds for people. at least there's working plumbing in them

next, we come for the tourist traps. then we deport the remote workers to some kind of camp, perhaps one where they can do labor until they remember what having a job is like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

First they came for the dairy queen and I did not fight because I eat Baskin robins.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

First they came for the dairy queen and I did not fight because I thought I knew a better place for u kno what.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://twitter.com/CBSLAKristine/status/1474174860196605955

LA cops, doing their best

https://twitter.com/ABC7/status/1474178452706136066

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Hopefully the officer's bullet is brought to justice for its heinous act.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Hopefully the officer's bullet is brought to justice for its heinous act.

It qualifies for immunity

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

lmao the lengths we bend over to use passive voice when it comes to cop murders is surreal.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Sydin posted:

lmao the lengths we bend over to use passive voice when it comes to cop murders is surreal.

"Police accidentally murder innocent 14 year old girl as they execute unarmed suspect."

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Would be a real shame if the cops involved were unfortunately located in the path of a semi truck or perhaps had an officer-involved incident of their own.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Sydin posted:

saw a surprisingly active voice headline of it earlier:
https://twitter.com/NorthBayNews/status/1474239716241387540

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The officer’s bullet was just following orders.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

guns (bullets) don't kill people, cops kill people.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Office discharges weapon, round strikes 14-year-old girl, really there is no way to tell whether those events are related.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Why would the bullet choose to do such a thing? It doesn't make any sense.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
The bullet need civilian oversight and sensitivity training

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Where better to get sensitivity training than from LAPD?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

i'm sure the IDF could make some room in their schedule

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
My fav is when they classify it as a “firefight” or a “shootout” except one one side even has guns

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I mean if they were innocent, why would the suspect try to avoid being shot?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

We say crime is up, plz giv money.

https://twitter.com/PplsCityCouncil/status/1475565662026092544

But on the other side it seems that 2021 was a banner year for LAPD.
They killed more people than they did in 2020.

https://www.newsweek.com/los-angeles-shooting-deaths-more-double-2020-total-victim-count-rises-1663368

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

OgNar posted:

But on the other side it seems that 2021 was a banner year for LAPD.
They killed more people than they did in 2020.

https://www.newsweek.com/los-angeles-shooting-deaths-more-double-2020-total-victim-count-rises-1663368
Whoooa there! I think you meant to say: There was an increase by various persons struck by bullets in the general vicinity of police officers performing their duties this year.

Let's not get hasty with these conclusions. Why, it could also be said that if there were more police officers employed and within the general vicinity of these persons, that maybe less people would be struck by those bullets!

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
they need the extra funding since they spent so much on paid vacations after killing kids this year

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

LAPD released edited video; no video of the moment of shooting, so you're only watching the moment up to the person dying and after.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uG_Z2OqlHw
My take:

I'm inclined to believe (though I'm not an expert, only being a firearm enthusiast and familiarity with such) it was a bad shoot. The bodycam is from the edited footage that LAPD chose to release is from the LAPD officer who shot both the suspect and the 14 year old girl. At 3:02 you'll see, just for a brief flash, on the left side, an officer walking ahead with a green firearm. You'll see that green firearm show up again at 3:14. That's a non-lethal firearm, usually of the bean bag or foam sort, as they're often colored green or orange to the best of my knowledge; for reference see PDF Page 10 of this doc; this one seems to be the 40mm foam launcher referenced in doc. From the looks of the footage suspect was what... 15? 20ft away? And was backing away from the officer and the victim; when the footage fast forwards to the suspect on the ground you can see they're in the same spot before the footage stopped right before they were shot. That means the officer with the rifle had time and space to deal with this situation in a different manner. De-escalation for one, while letting the other officers get in position, especially the one with (what looks like) the 40mm foam less than lethal launcher.

The generally accepted 4th rule of firearm safety is to always be sure of your target, what's surrounding it, and beyond. It's very easy to Monday Morning Quarterback police shootings, but even when LAPD seems to be releasing this video to spin it to put themselves in the best light, emphasizing the suspect beating various women, the officer that ultimately killed the 14 year old girl seems to have had time and space to pursue other means without firing his weapon, and if he had cooperatively relied on the rest of the members of his team there may have been a less lethal resolution to this encounter, but what the footage shows is the officer rushed ahead of his team and unnecessarily took the most lethal means to resolve the situation acting as a lone gunman, thus resulting in the death of the 14 year old girl. I hope the family wins big on civil, unless the city is able to claim qualified immunity which is again more bullshit.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
thanks for explaining that they didn't mean to kill a random bystander. now try to explain why they thought they should use lethal force to subdue an unarmed shoplifter in public in broad daylight, in a store apparently busy enough to have someone hanging out in the back during this arrest attempt.

the fact they didn't intentionally aim at the dead uninvolved teenager is so loving far past the point it can't be detected by deep space telescope anymore

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
can we use the proposition system to pass a roman style decimation of all police in California. just kill 1 in 10 to even the scales a little here.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Larry Parrish posted:

now try to explain why they thought they should use lethal force to subdue an unarmed shoplifter in public in broad daylight, in a store apparently busy enough to have someone hanging out in the back during this arrest attempt.
That's what I just did? They could have hit him with the less-than-lethal. They could have subdued him some other way. They could have tried to, I don't know, de-escalate. I mean I'm looking at the way the LAPD is trying to frame the video, which it's trying to get people stuck emotionally on the fact that this suspect beat these women and then fuzz over the part where the police officer, who ran out in front of the other officers and didn't wait for anybody else, just smoked this guy. It's one thing to run out and secure the scene and protect the victim, but he didn't do that. He just decided "Welp that guy just beat this woman; I'm not going to wait for my team; I'm just going to shoot this guy, who is unarmed as best as can be told and is 20 feet away".

That's why I hope the family wins on civil because whatever other video there is, what LAPD released today is going to be whatever LAPD's PR folk thought put them in the best light of the situation.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Dec 29, 2021

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BeAuMaN posted:

That's what I just did? They could have hit him with the less-than-lethal. They could have subdued him some other way. They could have tried to, I don't know, de-escalate. I mean I'm looking at the way the LAPD is trying to frame the video, which it's trying to get people stuck emotionally on the fact that this suspect beat these women and then fuzz over the part where the police officer, who ran out in front of the other offices and didn't wait for anybody else, just smoked this guy. It's one thing to run out and secure the scene and protect the victim, but he didn't do that. He just decided "Welp that guy just beat this woman; I'm not going to wait for my team; I'm just going to shoot this guy, who is unarmed as best as can be told and is 20 feet away".

That's why I hope the family wins on civil because whatever other video there is, what LAPD released today is going to be whatever LAPD's PR folk thought put them in the best light of the situation.

they could have simply not responded to a shoplifting call, as it's a waste of both their time and even the victimized stores time.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Larry Parrish posted:

they could have simply not responded to a shoplifting call, as it's a waste of both their time and even the victimized stores time.

He assaulted several people. This wasn't a shoplifting incident.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Angy NGO possibly had the 911 call of someone claiming there was already gunfire before the cops even got there.
But then Andy is a piece of poo poo and that could be from somewhere else.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

BeAuMaN posted:

Whoooa there! I think you meant to say: There was an increase by various persons struck by bullets in the general vicinity of police officers performing their duties this year.

Let's not get hasty with these conclusions. Why, it could also be said that if there were more police officers employed and within the general vicinity of these persons, that maybe less people would be struck by those bullets!
So what you are saying is that if we increase the cop:citizen ratio we might end up with more cops caught in crossfire?

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

eSporks posted:

So what you are saying is that if we increase the cop:citizen ratio we might end up with more cops caught in crossfire?
possibly! cop on cop shootings is definitely a thing!

OgNar posted:

Angy NGO possibly had the 911 call of someone claiming there was already gunfire before the cops even got there.
But then Andy is a piece of poo poo and that could be from somewhere else.
Yeah, and if that existed, it would most certainly be in the LAPD video that their PR folk combed over before releasing, or I'd think so anyway. It's also possible LAPD PR folk are incompetent. :v:
This video is the best quick response they could come up with to get ahead of the story, and it still leaves the officer in a bad light if people take a few minutes to analyze what is and isn't there.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Dec 29, 2021

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Here's the LAPD video in full. What was posted above was the LA Times edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjcdanUhmSY

The call reporting a gun is real, but people misreport facts to the dispatcher constantly and police and dispatchers are very aware of this. Until a firearm is actually confirmed by the officer they shouldn't be operating under the assumption that they're in a kill or be killed situation. And the call from the staff actually inside the store only mentions the bike lock and they specifically say that the suspect doesn't have any other weapons.

Edit: there are three callers in the video. The store staff report that they are locked in an office and that the suspect is armed with just a bike lock. The second is from someone who sounds like they're outside the store and they say he has a gun. The third just states that they see people hiding and that someone was making threats, they don't know how the suspect is armed. And no one actually reports hearing gunshots.

If you want to see the cops unnecessarily opening fire and then screaming at a dying man to turn over onto his stomach skip to 29 minutes.

Wicked Them Beats fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Dec 29, 2021

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Here's the LAPD video in full. What was posted above was the LA Times edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjcdanUhmSY

The call reporting a gun is real, but people misreport facts to the dispatcher constantly and police and dispatchers are very aware of this. Until a firearm is actually confirmed by the officer they shouldn't be operating under the assumption that they're in a kill or be killed situation. And the call from the staff actually inside the store only mentions the bike lock and they specifically say that the suspect doesn't have any other weapons.

Edit: there are three callers in the video. The store staff report that they are locked in an office and that the suspect is armed with just a bike lock. The second is from someone who sounds like they're outside the store and they say he has a gun. The third just states that they see people hiding and that someone was making threats, they don't know how the suspect is armed. And no one actually reports hearing gunshots.

If you want to see the cops unnecessarily opening fire and then screaming at a dying man to turn over onto his stomach skip to 29 minutes.
Thanks for that. That video definitely puts it in a worse light. They're talking about deploying the 40mm less-than-lethal on the suspect as part of the plan, and they're telling jones, who I assume is the guy on point with the rifle, to slow down, and he doesn't. Guy with less-than-lethal gets there just at the moment that the suspect gets smoked, along with the 14 year old girl. It's especially apparent starting at 30:34 (less lethal guy is in the bottom left view).

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Yeah the guy with the weapon of war was real gung-ho and rushed ahead. Feels like he wanted to get a kill more than anything else. If the guys with non-lethals had taken point this all would have likely had a very different outcome, but unfortunately Officer Call of Duty had to get his K:D ratio up.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Having seen homeless people beating each other with cable locks.
I just have to say that a Masterlock on the end of a cable is not something you want to see coming your way.
That poo poo will mess you up pretty badly with one good hit.

Not that it makes it ok or anything, but a lot of people (on twitter) are saying "he only had a bike lock".

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It also begs the question of why the gently caress are they using a rifle indoors when that's the entire point of cops having handguns lol. that ar-15 looks like a pretty compact model but still. this isn't Heat. the gently caress would you need that for?

like at no point does any of this make sense lol. the best explanation I can think of is 'we wanted to rifle to scare the poo poo out of this guy' and except for people with cop brain, even that is an insane thing to do-threatening people doesn't make them comply, it makes them erratic

Larry Parrish fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Dec 29, 2021

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
They also identify that the suspect is located outside the dressing rooms before they even get to him, and the fact that he's not located near the victim at the time when police arrive. So they know that there are potential innocent bystanders around and that there's no one in immediate danger when shots are fired. Absolutely hosed up.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Normal people are starting to catch on

https://twitter.com/OWCalifornia/status/1476767067382550531

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1476596727041847297

"California restaurants can continue to sell to-go cocktails with food orders for five more years."

OgNar fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

OgNar posted:

https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1476596727041847297

"California restaurants can continue to sell to-go cocktails with food orders for five more years."

Pretty fricken sweet tbh