Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Is there any good depictions of how mucked up Samus must be after all the different experiments that have been done to her?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rEMFfUQ32g

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

That’s Best Action/Adventure Game Metroid Dread to you, Buddy

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

That’s Best Action/Adventure Game Metroid Dread to you, Buddy

And Smile When You Say It

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Triskelli posted:

Is there any good depictions of how mucked up Samus must be after all the different experiments that have been done to her?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Triskelli posted:

she would get a dna test but her last two blood samples broke out of the vials and hid in the ventilation

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Triskelli posted:

Remember that scene from Alien Resurrection with the hosed-up Ripley clones?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
So what you're saying is she's indestructible.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

girl dick energy posted:

So what you're saying is she's indestructible.

That lines up.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

That door frame is literally the Thoha genes Quiet Robe-X forced into her. :v:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Federation scientists injecting soldiers with the metroid vaccine in the hopes of recreating samus but without her magic chozo dna it goes about as well as the space pirate morph ball experiments

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The United States posted:

Federation scientists injecting soldiers with the metroid vaccine in the hopes of recreating samus but without her magic chozo dna it goes about as well as the space pirate morph ball experiments
You joke, but that X-Parasite giving Samus Quiet Robe's Thoha DNA is the only reason she isn't dead.

EZgrease
Oct 21, 2004

Despite being bad at video games, I somehow managed to get 100% items, yet I'm probably going to be stuck on this stupid last boss forever. It's such a tedious fight.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

EZgrease posted:

Despite being bad at video games, I somehow managed to get 100% items, yet I'm probably going to be stuck on this stupid last boss forever. It's such a tedious fight.
First phase: That combo hit is by far his most dangerous attack, try to stay behind him, and if he does catch you with it, try to jump up and away, towards the wall. Once he turns golden, he's invincible until the melee counter, just focus on dodging and wait for your opening. You can use a power bomb to destroy the big black orb attacks if your beam mashing isn't up to it.
Second phase: Storm missiles are tempting and deal tons of damage, but only pay off if you have a ton of missiles and are good at taking advantage of the situations where you get a clean chance to lock on. Regular missiles are better. You can slide under the dash attack.
Third phase: Just like before, combo hit's super dangerous. Power bomb destroys the sun and gives you a bunch of health and missiles, and can again be used on the black orbs. Don't bother trying to attack him during his shinespark or the giant fuckoff laser, just focus on dodging.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

girl dick energy posted:

First phase: That combo hit is by far his most dangerous attack, try to stay behind him, and if he does catch you with it, try to jump up and away, towards the wall. Once he turns golden, he's invincible until the melee counter, just focus on dodging and wait for your opening. You can use a power bomb to destroy the big black orb attacks if your beam mashing isn't up to it.
Second phase: Storm missiles are tempting and deal tons of damage, but only pay off if you have a ton of missiles and are good at taking advantage of the situations where you get a clean chance to lock on. Regular missiles are better. You can slide under the dash attack.
Third phase: Just like before, combo hit's super dangerous. Power bomb destroys the sun and gives you a bunch of health and missiles, and can again be used on the black orbs. Don't bother trying to attack him during his shinespark or the giant fuckoff laser, just focus on dodging.

To add to this, here's a simple and great trick to kill RB even faster: (timeskip to 38 seconds)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjBokc6uSsA

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I don't think I ever considered using (cross) bombs to do damage

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Finally cleared all the boost puzzles and now my fully maxed Samus is getting ready to take out dear old dad. What an awesome game, can’t wait to try my hand at speed running it.

EDIT: drat that wasn’t so bad. I think I got them in less than 10 tries. Really awesome game and a nice ending sequence.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 12, 2021

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

Finally cleared all the boost puzzles and now my fully maxed Samus is getting ready to take out dear old dad. What an awesome game, can’t wait to try my hand at speed running it.

EDIT: drat that wasn’t so bad. I think I got them in less than 10 tries. Really awesome game and a nice ending sequence.
Still fantastic that the best voice acting Samus has ever gotten is A) a single line in Chozo, and B) absolutely unhinged feral screaming.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

girl dick energy posted:

B) absolutely unhinged feral screaming.

For a few glorious moments, she knew the rage of the Doom Slayer, and let it spill upon the one poor soul that stood before her :getin:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Just beat this and drat, what a good game. Reflecting on it for my next run and seeing a lot of complaints about the boss difficulty, I think this may have actually been my favorite difficulty tuning in a Metroid?

Ordinarily if you go out of your way to collect everything, Samus becomes an overpowered force. You have enough energy to basically tank your way through an encounter and more missiles than you know what to do with. In Dread, I was constantly backtracking as much as possible, and collected 100% items before the final boss. I felt like the bosses were tough and I was tuned just right for them, taking a handful of tries each time. If I had lower item completion, I would have been WRECKED by them and would have really struggled. No idea how I would have gotten past a few of these bosses if I had less health or couldn't just go apeshit with storm missiles (which in addition to doing lots of damage, don't need you to aim carefully)

So there's a kind of built in difficulty tuner, where you can make the game harder by not collecting as many items. When I think about doing a faster run, that's the part that's intimidating to me, not being able to poke around and get every item.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think these bosses just caught a lot of people off guard because Nintendo has never been known for good boss fights except maybe in the 3D Zelda games. These are really challenging, even on Normal, which is a drat sight past where Nintendo difficulty usually hangs out. They’re also way more rewarding than your typical Nintendo boss as well when you finally box their ears.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Icon Of Sin posted:

For a few glorious moments, she knew the rage of the Doom Slayer, and let it spill upon the one poor soul that stood before her :getin:

gently caress, I've made a lot of Doomguy Samus jokes and I didn't loving see this, I'm ashamed of myself.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
There are Dread pin sets in the UK and EU my nintendo shop for 500 platinum points:

https://store.nintendo.co.uk/en_gb/...f1be4839734e471

https://my.nintendo.com/rewards/c2ca699754edd546

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
God this game is fun.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

God this game is fun.

I have honestly replayed it through more than any other Metroid game. I am hard pressed to think of a game where the movement just felt this loving good.

(Also: Isn't your new avatar kind of a spoiler? I mean it's Metroid so who gives a drat but still. )

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

ImpAtom posted:

(Also: Isn't your new avatar kind of a spoiler? I mean it's Metroid so who gives a drat but still. )

Sure I guess, but the game has also been out for about 2 1/2 months, plus the "gag" of the avatar kinda loses all context for being Dread-related or even Metroid-related unless you're at least half-way through Dread's story.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

Sure I guess, but the game has also been out for about 2 1/2 months, plus the "gag" of the avatar kinda loses all context for being Dread-related or even Metroid-related unless you're at least half-way through Dread's story.

Fair point. It's awesome, I just didn't want you to get dinged for it or something.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Is hard mode fun? Or is it very bullet spongy?

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
As far as I know, Hard Mode's only departure from Normal is that you take 2x damage. Enemy health is unaffected.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

FooF posted:

As far as I know, Hard Mode's only departure from Normal is that you take 2x damage. Enemy health is unaffected.

That's all it changes.

Ogmius815 posted:

Is hard mode fun? Or is it very bullet spongy?

It's fun, but a lot more tense as you REALLY have to learn how to dodge attacks.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Suddenly, dealing with even a few basic enemies becomes a challenge. Get tapped 3-4 times early on, game over!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Finally beat this and :lol: at them making y can’t Metroid crawl canon.

Fantastic game. I need to let it sit and play through it again before doing a ranking but it’s definitely near the top with Super and Zero Mission for me. Great work to Mercury Steam, you did it, guys.

Corn Burst
Jun 18, 2004

Blammo!

SeANMcBAY posted:

Finally beat this and :lol: at them making y can’t Metroid crawl canon.

Fantastic game. I need to let it sit and play through it again before doing a ranking but it’s definitely near the top with Super and Zero Mission for me. Great work to Mercury Steam, you did it, guys.

Agree, fantastic game, and the best handling/movement in the series to date. Looking forward to Metroid: Trepidation.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Oxxidation posted:

she would get a dna test but her last two blood samples broke out of the vials and hid in the ventilation

Apparently it’s canon that Samus can’t have kids, which is probably for the best by now because god only knows what that kid would come out looking like.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
This channel has a series of neat little details in Dread. They're up to 5 videos now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkJIMyASFzg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G9horOsFEY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cReHc25h3Oo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39TXUsb282M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rl5wCtITwXA

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Apparently it’s canon that Samus can’t have kids, which is probably for the best by now because god only knows what that kid would come out looking like.

I, for one, love Samus' future toothy birdsquid child.

Digital Flower
Sep 5, 2011

Bleck posted:

I, for one, love Samus' future toothy birdsquid child.

So... Ridley? :stare:

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Can I bump this thread? I am towards the end of Dread, first game in the series that I have played. Been a pretty enjoyable and challenging ride so far, and really hard to put the game down.
I got to 90% items so far without looking at guides, I think like all but 2 of the remaining ones are shinesparks that I'm not sure if I am good enough at the game to pull off fast enough.

edit: Checked a video for the last shinesparks and the game sure doesn't explain stuff like your shinespark time getting extended if you hit a wall or whatever's going on.

Not sure if this needs to go in spoiler tags.
Right at the end while looking for missing items I found the Cataris orange teleporter and obviously it was useless at that point in the game. Does it allow for any interesting sequence breaks outside of being able to get the pulse radar somewhat early as soon as you get the grapple beam?
I guess you can enter Hanubia early after getting ice missiles, but assuming you can't get the power bombs there early because of what's implied in the scene where you get them. And not 100% sure about that one since a lot of parts of the game seem pretty railroaded especially with Cataris getting frozen over somewhere around that time. Anything else interesting about it?

Item Getter fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 5, 2022

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
When you're shinesparking (left or right) and hit the ground, you literally hit the ground running and basically go back to speed boost movement. So when you shinespark into a slope, you go back to boosted running and can keep your momentum going for another shinespark. I'm assuming that's what you're talking about.

I'm pretty sure the game tells you about this, but i think it's relegated to a loading screen hint somewhere.

Fun fact: if you shinespark into a slope that's usually too steep to walk on (meaning, Samus usually slides down immediately), you can speedbooster-run (or roll, in morph ball) up that slope. That can enable you to get several items early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtKjha1qpK4