Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

sweat poteto posted:

My last two rides have been on cold mornings, around 30f, and after about 10 miles just one knee starts to ache. The other is fine. After 20 miles I can only limp and it's sore for days afterwards. Wonder if it's the cold because nothing else explains it, though I was wearing thermal bib tights and a wind shell over that, so it didn't feel cold at the time. Also I am becoming an old (43) if that matters. Can't think of anything that could cause it suddenly except the onset of ~freezing temp.

I'd try one of those neoprene knee thingies middle age men wear, aching joints due to the weather is probably one of those totally true facts of life as we age. I have a lovely knee too but luckily it gets better from biking and not worse.

This is probably not your problem, but I recently had a saddle post that slowly sank into the frame. It was gradual enough that I didn't notice until my ergonomics were totally messed up and things started hurting and I realized I could reach the ground with my feet which shouldn't be the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

learnincurve posted:

You don't have to feel guilty about not risking serious injury friends. In an ideal world when it got horrible we'd all take our horse and cart but the car ruined that.
Yeah there's no way I'd go bike in above-bottom-bracket levels of water, or loving winnipeg weather for that matter.

sweat poteto posted:

it didn't feel cold at the time. Also I am becoming an old (43) if that matters. Can't think of anything that could cause it suddenly except the onset of ~freezing temp.
I've *just* bought a lined windshell pair of hiking pants for the expressed purpose of not ruining my knees on cold days. They made a *big* difference to ride/post-ride comfort.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
gently caress

The chain hopped off the sprocket on my Nexus 8 and chewed up the dust cover. Now it's freewheeling and all sorts of bullshit.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Groda posted:

gently caress

The chain hopped off the sprocket on my Nexus 8 and chewed up the dust cover. Now it's freewheeling and all sorts of bullshit.

That sucks. I don't see why such an event should have messed up the internals though (it's hopefully just misbehaving because your gear indexing is off), so hopefully you'll get away with just replacing the CJ-8S20 deal.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

sweat poteto posted:

My last two rides have been on cold mornings, around 30f, and after about 10 miles just one knee starts to ache. The other is fine. After 20 miles I can only limp and it's sore for days afterwards. Wonder if it's the cold because nothing else explains it, though I was wearing thermal bib tights and a wind shell over that, so it didn't feel cold at the time. Also I am becoming an old (43) if that matters. Can't think of anything that could cause it suddenly except the onset of ~freezing temp.

That exact situation was how I messed up my knee for a couple of years so be careful :ohdear:

Cold weather + thermal tights seems to increase the resistance in my knee/hips and screw up my pedalling mechanics. After a lot of physio I'm pretty much good now, but I noticed I get some recurrence if I wear my long thermal bibs again, so I have some warm bibshorts and then thinner leg warmers which seems to work fine.

Could be you're tensing up in some ways also due to all the clothing/cold. In the end anything injury related needs to be assessed by an expert in person first of all since there can be so many factors. The soreness after may be ok for now but it could build into something worse.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Back on the bike for a proper, successful commute up to work. Beautiful early-summer weather here, the creek has returned to its usual shallow depth and the path was clear and in good condition.

I've spoken with my doctor more this year than at any time in my life - for a variety of mostly unrelated-to-each-other reasons - and every time we talk, regardless of the main reason, she tells me how good it is that I'm biking to work. Staying active. I never have the heart to tell her about all the times I've been lazy and driven in with my wife, so today feels like I'm following medical advice. I like my doctor, this is good.

Bikes are good.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Bikes are good, cars are bad. My number finally came up after 20+ years of commuting, and I had a car cut me off on a fastish stretch today. I did manage an emergency brake and avoided the car, but didn't get my weight back and endoed hard. Nothing broken, I don't think, but lots of bits that hurt this evening.

Certainly not a fan of one-ways with the bike lanes on the left.

e: spoke too soon, that was a couple ribs and an elbow the jury is still out on

Albinator fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Dec 14, 2021

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

ExecuDork posted:

Back on the bike for a proper, successful commute up to work. Beautiful early-summer weather here, the creek has returned to its usual shallow depth and the path was clear and in good condition.

I've spoken with my doctor more this year than at any time in my life - for a variety of mostly unrelated-to-each-other reasons - and every time we talk, regardless of the main reason, she tells me how good it is that I'm biking to work. Staying active. I never have the heart to tell her about all the times I've been lazy and driven in with my wife, so today feels like I'm following medical advice. I like my doctor, this is good.

Bikes are good.

Its good to get moving now before it gets too hot. Late spring/early summer is prime riding time, especially early in the morning (if that's what you do...)

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I discovered a co-worker lives nearby and may start carpooling with her on Tuesdays to avoid biking super early in the winter mornings...

I don't know.

I've had a cold recently and it's just easier. I got the cold from biking in the rain, that much I'm sure.

What're your limits? Like how sick do you have to be?

I also got a what I have to call a butt cramp yesterday from biking. Like I'll be on break starting Friday for 2 weeks, but my body is clearly telling me to stop biking for the next two days.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
I don't go to work if I'm sick and take sick days at the drop of a hat, but I'm a big baby with tons of sick time. Now that I work from home and have been doing masks and social distancing, I haven't been sick in 2+ years other than the rare food related stomach issues.

I remember thinking Paris was cold when I lived there, but I think it's just the wind for the most part. I checked the weather because I'll actually be there in a week and it looks like you're actually getting some cold days and possibly snow, which I'd never seen. Will be headed to the Loire Valley where I will be commuting from the house to the boulangerie by lovely 50 year old peugeot cruiser bike on a daily basis.

Edit: then commuting that baguette to my face

Mauser fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 14, 2021

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I should be kinder to myself and take sick days but as a teacher I know if I don’t go in my kids get 0 class. Not necessarily an issue for them but it can be a scheduling problem. But we had tests and presentations to do and no way I wanted to push that back another two weeks.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I should be kinder to myself and take sick days but as a teacher I know if I don’t go in my kids get 0 class. Not necessarily an issue for them but it can be a scheduling problem. But we had tests and presentations to do and no way I wanted to push that back another two weeks.

Don't spread illness. Break the cycle. If you go in to work sick, you get the kids sick, you get the parents sick, now they have to miss work, too.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

bicievino posted:

Don't spread illness. Break the cycle. If you go in to work sick, you get the kids sick, you get the parents sick, now they have to miss work, too.

The advantage of masks! But you're right. I don't seem to be contagious, since I got this cold from riding in the rain, but still. Thanks.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

While cold weather may weaken your immune system, colds are viruses spread through human contact, so you likely breathed in somebody's droplets or aerosol, or touched an infected surface and then your mouth/nose. Assuming you're not going to get fired, I would take sick days whenever you have something that's infectious. You could always assign extra homework or do an online lesson if those are options. I know the reality for a lot of people is that they could be punished for using their sick days, so do whatever you gotta do to keep food on your table and take a break from biking if necessary.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If teachers took time off for every cold they got there would be no schools, kids are basically walking cold factories (and plenty of people round the world do home school for this exact reason).

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

yeah good point, but that sucks

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

learnincurve posted:

If teachers took time off for every cold they got there would be no schools, kids are basically walking cold factories (and plenty of people round the world do home school for this exact reason).

Substitute teaching is outsourced and paid less than poo poo. Teachers have to go in when sick because if no one picks up the sub job then the only option is to farm the kids out to other staff in the building and then your colleagues hate you.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

100YrsofAttitude posted:

The advantage of masks! But you're right. I don't seem to be contagious, since I got this cold from riding in the rain, but still. Thanks.
This is not how colds work.

learnincurve posted:

And this isn't a universal thing. Teachers at my kids' schools are sick all the time, and somehow the world hasn't ended.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

evil_bunnY posted:

This is not how colds work.

And this isn't a universal thing. Teachers at my kids' schools are sick all the time, and somehow the world hasn't ended.

I know that's not how colds work, it was someone mentioned earlier of running my immune system ragged.

I didn't really want to start a conversation about teaching and sick days, sorry. In France, unless it's a long-term absence, there are no substitutes as far as I can tell. The kids just don't have class. If I didn't have tests to give or presentations to grade, but was just doing a regular lesson, or had it not been the days before a 2 week break, I wouldn't have bothered coming in. I'm trying to get better about that.

But putting off the test/presentations two weeks would've been incredibly inconvenient, in particular for the students who would have to then keep studying to keep everything they learned fresh in mind. The worst day of it was Wednesday anyway, I was considerably better Thursday, and now today, on vacation, I'm almost at normal.

---

Anyway as gift to myself, and to my bike, I'm going to hand him over to the shop for a cleaning/tweaking. It's nice not to have to ride for the next two weeks. I might go for a run for the first time in a while, for a change.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Today, or perhaps yesterday afternoon, I passed 1000 km on this bike, according to my el-cheapo bike spedometer (I hesitate to even call it a "computer" but I suppose the microchip inside still counts).

I stopped at around the halfway point on my commute this morning because of two emergency vehicles on the MUP. I waited for a bit rather than trying to pass them (I ride onto the grass routinely to go around pedestrians/dogs/children/ducks) because they had their flashy lights on, and I noticed my bike computer was flashing 999.99 km and did not change as I rode forward. So I'll need to reset it. The vast majority of those kilometres were on that path, riding to and from work.

I noticed both the driver and front passenger of the larger, ambulance-looking vehicle got out and walked forward, and the other vehicle (a pickup) had driven slowly past them. So there was nobody in the first vehicle, suggesting there was not a patient (not a living one, anyway) and perhaps this was a drill or something else equally non-hazardous, so I slowly went wide around them on the grass and continued on my way.

I bought this bike in November 2020 to replace my badly-worn-out frankenbike and my first commute on it was 19 November. I've only completed 168.5 round-trip commutes on either bike from the combination of laziness and work-from-home episodes, but I still really like commuting by bike. In the 1000 km so far I've replaced the rear tire and had one spoke on the rear tire fixed, plus sprayed about 100 ml of cheap chain lube all along the MUP. When the shop fixed the spoke they told me the brakes were "contaminated" but I just moved the inner pad a touch closer to the rotor and I feel like it's still got good stopping power for now. New pads & rotors are not terribly expensive and it seems like a good task for me to try at home - if it all goes horribly wrong the bike shop is only about 3 blocks away. It needs a clean and I'm only about 5 ml away from finishing the bottle of Aldi bike chain lube and moving on to thread-favourite, Rock and Roll Gold. Other than that, it's been very smooth sailing.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Here is my semi annual post about my now six year old $30 reflective commuting jacket. Found out recently the baby cam works great at showing off how reflective it is

Some people were falsely claiming that it loses effectiveness over time, isn't durable, isn't reflective in the rain. None of those turned out to be true. A++ would buy again

Search "3m nano bead reflective jacket" and pick the cheapest option. These photos are taken in IR but the effect in visible light to a car is identical. Visible light cell phone photos don't do it justice unfortunately

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Hadlock posted:

Here is my semi annual post about my now six year old $30 reflective commuting jacket. Found out recently the baby cam works great at showing off how reflective it is

Some people were falsely claiming that it loses effectiveness over time, isn't durable, isn't reflective in the rain. None of those turned out to be true. A++ would buy again

Search "3m nano bead reflective jacket" and pick the cheapest option. These photos are taken in IR but the effect in visible light to a car is identical. Visible light cell phone photos don't do it justice unfortunately

I have been eyeballing one of these since it gets balls dark by 4 pm.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

They work!

They don't breathe terribly well, but when it's 45 degrees out that's a feature, not a bug

For $30 you could also just add your own pit vents with a kitchen knife (not while wearing it)

It's also about 20% water resistant, whereas cotton is 0%

Edit: in daylight they look medium light gray, and make sure you order one size larger as they're "Asian fit"

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 29, 2021

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Outside of physically overlapping plates with slits/cuts, is there any fabric that is remotely water resistant that does breath well?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Besides gore-tex and competitors?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I don't find Goretex to be that breathable. Maybe my standards are off.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

kimbo305 posted:

Outside of physically overlapping plates with slits/cuts, is there any fabric that is remotely water resistant that does breath well?

not really, because getting hot and sweaty is just reverse rain

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Hadlock posted:

They’re not remotely breathable and are not suited for any hard exercise. A gentle walk they can cope with.

Both in cycling and mountain sports, shells aren’t used for actually doing the intense exercise bit, it’s all windproof fabrics with a DWR coating, just enough to keep you comfortable and warm.

Some are designed to be warn direct on the skin with just a thin wicking comfort layer, more like a wetsuit in function.

Even full windproof jackets are too warm for cycling for me until it’s close to 0 degrees C.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yeah even the lightest, most breathable gore tex isn't that breathable when it comes to riding, although I did have a shell that I think was made out of goretex active, and wore that once on an all day in the rain ride that involved a lot of hard climbing and it worked pretty well. I was definitely pretty wet and cold all day but not intolerably so. Upper body mostly just damp from my own sweat and then I changed gloves partway through.

I also have a fancy pearl izumi pro amfib softshell jacket and it's surprisingly water resistant. I was out in a mix of rain/sleet/snow one time and was really impressed at how dry I stayed. Well, my legs and hands weren't so happy, but yeah the jacket was good.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

kimbo305 posted:

The shakedry stuff is very noticeably better than non. I have a pertex shell and a shakedry, the former gets sweaty fast on long rides in the cold and the shakedry doesn't. The pertex is old and beaten up though so I keep it just to throw on for short journeys. All that said, nothing beats pit zips. In the winter I commute with a goretex-pro shell that has zippered vents from waist to elbow, good for 10f to 50f if you don't mind a bit of crinkly noise/feel. A wool base layer helps reduce that clammy feeling too.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Goretex barely breathes.

Schoeller c-change is a bit nicer but it’s stupidly onerous so no one uses it.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Kinda furious with my local bike shop at the moment. I handed them my bike over on the 21st for frivolous reasons. Brake tightening, general cleaning, things I can do myself but figured that I would like to support the shop where I got the bike. They're nice enough people if a bit unreliable. Like I'll drop my bike off in the morning and they're very confident saying they'll call me back that evening for me to get it. I've always gotten that call a day later or even 2 days later. Whatever, I expect that and I didn't plan on biking before the 3rd of January anyway.

I even tell them that I can pick it up a week later, as I only need it for the 3rd and as always the mechanic assures me that it'll be done that evening, as there is not a lot of business at that moment. I nod, knowing very well it'll be ready for the 23rd or whatever.

Now this my fault, but I do wait for that call, it doesn't come and by the time the 24th rolls around you've all these obligations and I figured I'll just pop in sometime after the 27th. We had to attend a funeral (the mother of a close friend passed suddenly) so I only get back home today. I go to the shop and they've been closed since the 24th till the 11th of January for the holiday.

Not to begrudge anyone taking time off, it's certainly well deserved, but had I known that, I would've never left them with my bike. Now I'm fuming since I'll have to take public transportation all next week, and it's hasn't yet failed yet to prove this year, how utterly superior biking to work is. Doubly annoyed because Covid is spiking up again and it's a better time than ever to not be crammed in a bus. I just hope it rains and rains hard next week, or that it's close to freezing so I can feel slightly better about this whole debacle.

Anyway, it's the last time I ever go there again. It's only a couple blocks away from my flat, but I did find another shop maybe another 5 minutes away, so I'll try them out in the future because this cannot happen again.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Good luck with public transport. We went through Paris last week and had to use the RER and metro to get from CDG to Montparnasse and I can only describe the entire experience as nerve wracking. I haven't been in crowds at all in the past two years and there were always at least three or four people hacking up a lung at every waiting area or train car or whatever. Huge COVID wave in France right now along with everywhere else I guess.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
My bike (Brilliant L-Train) wants to fall over with the kickstand with the slightest load in the panniers, which is basically the only way I ride. Any recommendations on center kickstands? Reviews of the Velo Orange offering suggest it's poorly made.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Mauser posted:

Good luck with public transport. We went through Paris last week and had to use the RER and metro to get from CDG to Montparnasse and I can only describe the entire experience as nerve wracking. I haven't been in crowds at all in the past two years and there were always at least three or four people hacking up a lung at every waiting area or train car or whatever. Huge COVID wave in France right now along with everywhere else I guess.

I should be ok. My commute takes me on tram and a bus. I miss the school rush normally so it should be quiet. The tram can get packed though, but I can usually find a quiet enough corner.

Paris has long given up social distancing in any meaningful way. Most people do wear masks though I'd say 1 out of 5 doesn't do it well. I get my 3rd shot next Friday so that should help some if I pick anything up. Now I have to decide if I chew out the bike shop or if I just quietly never go back. My partner says to do the latter, in the event I do have to go back someday. She's probably right.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

cum jabbar posted:

My bike (Brilliant L-Train) wants to fall over with the kickstand with the slightest load in the panniers, which is basically the only way I ride. Any recommendations on center kickstands? Reviews of the Velo Orange offering suggest it's poorly made.

The VO is made by Massload to their standard design, which is excellent but needs to be adjusted very carefully and well-secured, and sometimes the legs need to be modified, depending on the BB height of the bike.

Also, kickstands are devices to make bikes fall over, and I'm speaking as someone with stands on two bikes. Locking the front wheel in place helps. A strap through the frame and front wheel is good.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

cum jabbar posted:

I've had decent success with the Pletscher double leg one.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/265410181977
Held up to toddler daycare dropoff duty.
I probably cut the legs a little short, so would have been even more stable.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

cum jabbar posted:

I'm really happy with the Hebie 608.

https://www.hebie.de/en/parking/central-stands/bipod/608/

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The stand that came on our gen 1 GSD closely ressembled this and it was a absolute piece of garbage in the scandinavian weather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

evil_bunnY posted:

The stand that came on our gen 1 GSD closely ressembled this and it was a absolute piece of garbage in the scandinavian weather.

My Hebie 608 closely resembles the one that came on your gen 1 GSD and works fantastically in the Scandinavian winter.