Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

MJeff posted:

Just outta curiosity, was it confirmed anywhere that Tiffany was her pre-awakening name or is that just the logical thing to assume from her going "Tiffany? Really?"
You mean like before she left the original Matrix? I assumed based on the exchange at the end of the movie that Tiffany was a new name in this iteration of The Matrix specifically meant to mock her true name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
This is an awful lot of drama in the thread for a pretty simple scene which just reflects that Lana Wachowski finds one simple interpretation of the Matrix allegory limiting and "another Matrix". She has said as much in interviews.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Actually it is not very much drama. And it's a pretty normal discussion about how the movie specifically communicates some stuff.

I'm starting to realize, part of what I struggle with in the movie's criticism of WB is that it can kind of be viewed in contradictory ways. Is the profit motive the problem in the first place, or is it the fact that these particular suits are morons who want to go about their recreation in a lovely way? Would the pitch meeting actually be better if they were presented as thoughtful, and good at marketing?

I guess I think there's kind of two separate interpretations here, one where Lana says "gently caress you WB, I won't let you ruin my art," and one where she says "gently caress you WB, we the artists are actually the reason the Matrix made a shitload of money, and you should shut up and let us be in charge of this whole process if you want the money to keep rolling in." I'm not saying that's inherently bad, but it makes a lot of this movie very confusing to me.

Martman fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Dec 29, 2021

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Neo's importance is never actually illustrated, for example - never shown. We are told that he's really, really, inspirational but is not shown actually doing anything inspirational.

We literally see him inspire Bugs to free herself from the Matrix.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

This is why the “neoologist” is ‘good’ despite being a glorified Wikipedia editor. He believes Neo is a literally-real war hero and even wants to gently caress Neo.

I'm getting flashbacks to your posts in the Alien thread talking about lizard people sex cults and all this other weird QAnon crap that was utterly unhinged. Don't bring that poo poo here as well.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Martman posted:

Actually it is not very much drama. And it's a pretty normal discussion about how the movie specifically communicates some stuff.

I'm starting to realize, part of what I struggle with in the movie's criticism of WB is that it can kind of be viewed in contradictory ways. Is the profit motive the problem in the first place, or is it the fact that these particular suits are morons who want to go about their recreation in a lovely way? Would the pitch meeting actually be better if they were presented as thoughtful, and good at marketing?

I guess I think there's kind of two separate interpretations here, one where Lana says "gently caress you WB, I won't let you ruin my art," and one where she says "gently caress you WB, we the artists are actually the reason the Matrix made a shitload of money, and you should shut up and let us be in charge of this whole process if you want the money to keep rolling in." I'm not saying that's inherently bad, but it makes a lot of this movie very confusing to me.

I think the messiness of it is 'intentional' such as putting forward very personal art out through a studio is hard. You don't want to compromise, some of the compromises people push might make it land better but not necessarily how you want, people are going to interpret it however they want, etc. I've struggled with similar conflicts for presentations that I've done/quit.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

SUNKOS posted:

I'm getting flashbacks to your posts in the Alien thread talking about lizard people sex cults and all this other weird QAnon crap that was utterly unhinged. Don't bring that poo poo here as well.

Was this in the gbs thread? I don’t remember any of that in the cined thread.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

This is an awful lot of drama in the thread for a pretty simple scene which just reflects that Lana Wachowski finds one simple interpretation of the Matrix allegory limiting and "another Matrix". She has said as much in interviews.

Right; it’s pretty much directly stated in the movie, by various characters, that the matrix simply ‘is’. It isn’t ‘about’ anything because it encompasses everything: a full-fledged alternate universe that simply happens to be ruled by invisible nightmare monsters.

The monsters don’t “represent” Facebook, or racism, or whatever. They just literally exist.

This is true to an extent, but risks crossing over into the depoliticization. Films aren’t universes, and the focus on the extradimensional spacemonsters obviously distracts from other topics. There’s nothing neutral about ‘staying neutral’ on the issue of the franchise’s appropriation by right-wing conspiracy theorists and cryptofascists, for example.

SUNKOS posted:

We literally see him inspire Bugs to free herself from the Matrix.

He frowns at her while attempting suicide. Hardly the stuff of legend.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Dec 29, 2021

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
All of the people continuing to argue about whether the film is mocking the trans/capitalism/fascism interpretations by having the corporate dorks talking about them are silly. The scene is mostly about Neo contemplating what the Matrix is so good and bad things are both included. The biggest fault of those characters in that scene is that they fail to mention one of the biggest things about the Matrix series, the thing that resurfaces to take center stage in Resurrections: it is a love story.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

MJeff posted:

I was poking around to see if Lilly had said anything about this film and I wound up stumbling on this quote from Lana and I think it pretty well explains why I felt the end of this movie hit so strongly. There's something kinda powerful about a creator going through this process and deciding to end their movie with two characters that had died, flying hand-in-hand off to their happy ending that they didn't get the first time.

https://twitter.com/Thatoneguy64/status/1474095821822074882
Okay this actually confuses me because now I feel like I don't have a straight answer.

Did Lana make this movie because of the quote above (which seems like the most likely answer, she's literally quoted as saying it) or was WB going to make this movie without her and she stepped in to prevent them from doing so (which has only been communicated to me directly by the movie itself.) Because if the answer is both then that is a wild coincidence. Is there any material outside of the movie indicating WB's intentions with this sequel?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I thought someone pointed out an interesting detail that it was only men who were swarm programs, but that’s not the case, a girl in a school uniform was part of that swarm and tries to stab Neo when they’re on the bullet train.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

DaveKap posted:

Okay this actually confuses me because now I feel like I don't have a straight answer.

Did Lana make this movie because of the quote above (which seems like the most likely answer, she's literally quoted as saying it) or was WB going to make this movie without her and she stepped in to prevent them from doing so (which has only been communicated to me directly by the movie itself.) Because if the answer is both then that is a wild coincidence. Is there any material outside of the movie indicating WB's intentions with this sequel?

Warner Brothers has been talking about developing new Matrix stuff for years. Zak Penn was working on a treatment or script for a new Matrix project before Lana decided to make Resurrections.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Problematic Pigeon posted:

Warner Brothers has been talking about developing new Matrix stuff for years. Zak Penn was working on a treatment or script for a new Matrix project before Lana decided to make Resurrections.
Now I'm trying to picture what a post-WB-rebooted-Matrix-4 Matrix movie made by Lana would've looked like. So much of what we got was dependent on the 20 year gap.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

DaveKap posted:

Now I'm trying to picture what a post-WB-rebooted-Matrix-4 Matrix movie made by Lana would've looked like. So much of what we got was dependent on the 20 year gap.

I vaguely remember speculation that it may have been a young Morpheus prequel so maybe it wouldn't have mattered, but I don't know if that was ever confirmed.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
Naobi in the traffic control tower is loving bullshit where she keeps getting killed by that helicopter. MGS 1 flashbacks.

I had a friend who hadn't seen any of the sequals and we got through all the ambushes in the sewers to the bit with the vampires and he thought that was total bollocks basically.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
The idea that matrix 4 was just a way for Lana to spend WB money and use it as a 2 year grief counselling session is very very funny and makes me dislike the film a tiny bit less.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I watched it last night. It was better than the sequels, nowhere near as good as the original. A solid 7/10 movie imo

The good:

- Jessica Henwick absolutely crushes it as Bugs
- I was really hype to see Neil Patrick Harris in the trailer so him turning out to be villain ruled, he was great in that role
- All the meta references
- The good machines were a great twist on the mythos and just plain adorable :3:
- Trinity's husband is literally called Chad lmao
- I loved the way the film played with some of the original sequences
- Lana bringing in a bunch of the Sense8 cast :unsmith:
- The Jefferson Airplane montage was fantastic

The ok:

- The Neo/Trinity love story has never really landed with me and it's the same here
- The new Morpheus is real fun but he just disappears for the end of the movie. The actor did a great performance but the script never gave the character the weight he deserved
- Jonathan Groff did a good Hugo Weaving tribute but his role in the story and his relationship with Neo never really felt properly defined

The bad:

- For a franchise that was groundbreaking in how it depicted action on screen, the action scenes in this movie were poo poo
- I heard there was a post-credits scene so I stayed to the end and it was a cat video joke :saddowns:

whiggles
Dec 19, 2003

TEAM EDWARD
This movie is garbage. Hard to sit through. Hope it stays dead this time.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

ruddiger posted:

I thought someone pointed out an interesting detail that it was only men who were swarm programs, but that’s not the case, a girl in a school uniform was part of that swarm and tries to stab Neo when they’re on the bullet train.

She was just a random crazy girl taking advantage of the moment.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

What we most desire is desire itself

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I don't think it's simply that Resurrections puts the trans reading in the mouths of one of the dumb marketing guys, but that the film has zero interest in exploring it despite them knowing how much the franchise means to many trans people.

I mean why not just have trans characters in it or do the Switch character you couldn't before. Hell, there's even a missed own goal on giving Neo gender dysphoria by making his false projected in-Matrix image a woman.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Watch sense8

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I feel like making Trinity's false DSI identity male would have accomplished a lot of that.

The audience knows Trinity, Neo loves her, and then the machine are misgendering her as a means of control.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Necrothatcher posted:

I don't think it's simply that Resurrections puts the trans reading in the mouths of one of the dumb marketing guys, but that the film has zero interest in exploring it despite them knowing how much the franchise means to many trans people.

It seem like it was a movie that heavily explored the trans allegory, but using the same language forced on the first movie. The marketing guy wanted to make it a marketing bullet point and would have done it wrong, instead of being a personal narrative put through an abstracted scifi lens.

Like if switch had been in the first movie that would have been cool and nice, but it wouldn't really change anything about WHY matrix had a trans reading. The marketing guy getting to throw a "hello my name is transy transerson! I will always be on screen alone so we can easily edit me out in international release, but believe me we will put out 5000 press releases about me" type 'representation' movies always do isn't anything.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I watched matrix 1 and 2 last night for the first time in many years,the first one is tight as hell,great effects (minus some bad sentinel cgi at the end)and it doesn’t drag the fight scenes out too much.

The second movie starts off real well and then IMMEDIATELY puts the loving brakes on to show us zion.

And have people talking.

And staring.

And walking.

And doing horrendous rave scenes.

But it’s all like the most cliched episode of star trek,just so boring.

And once that’s over the movie picks up again only to slow down with the Merovingian and the oracle.

Also the cgi looks far worse in places (burly brawl,neo flying and grabbing morpheus and the keymaker) and nobody ever gave a poo poo about link or the loving old zion mayor.

“So we need machines and they need us, is that your point, Councilor?”

Councillor Hamann: “No. No point. Old men like me don't bother with making points. There's no point.”

So gently caress off and stop making GBS threads up the movie you old fart.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

And doing horrendous rave scenes.

I didn't think it was possible, but you've actually stumbled upon a worse opinion than any of the previous ones in this thread.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Butternubs posted:

I didn't think it was possible, but you've actually stumbled upon a worse opinion than any of the previous ones in this thread.

I hope you get cornered by the old councillor guy and he talks nonstop for three hours.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Watch sense8

This, it's easily the Wachowskis' best work

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I haven't caught up to the thread but I don't think the fights are bad on purpose, but things like this:

Lana shows up to meet the WB exec and see's their version in pre-production (tiffany not trinity is present)
"we've been waiting so long" The exec postures about how much (perceived) control they have over Lana
"My power comes from a single word: bullet time. Kind of ironic, using the power that defined you to control you."
Depicted is the wb exec's "bullet time", and it literally is what 99% of every movie had in the gold rush after the matrix where it's just people holding poses and moving slowly while adding in easy "slow-mo" CG poo poo like sparks in the background

are definitely on purpose

moths
Aug 25, 2004

So the stand-in for Warner Bros was not the character literally named Buggs with a bunny tattoo?

The film opens with her salvaging old media for something to bring back.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Rarity posted:

- The new Morpheus is real fun but he just disappears for the end of the movie. The actor did a great performance but the script never gave the character the weight he deserved

I forget where I saw this now so take it for what you will but I recall reading yesterday that they planned for the new Morpheus to have a much greater presence in the third act of the film where apparently he was supposed to fight a machine (the person revealing this also added details such as the specific name of the machine and that they had their own language which we would have seen/heard for the first time) but it was cut for budget reasons since it was apparently going to be a very fancy CGI fight. I'm assuming said fight would have taken place in the tower where Neo & Trinity were kept and presumably the fight would have taken place while trying to rescue and free Trinity? It definitely seems likely given that the heist was pulled off so easily and many people have mentioned how little the new Morpheus had to do in the final third of the film. Maybe we'll get some concept art eventually but if it is indeed true I'm surprised that a new Matrix film would have run into budget issues if WB was so determined to bring it back.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Much more than budget directly I feel like the limiting factor in the making of this movie was that the filming took place between February and October 2020.

I think a lot more of this movie was filmed on sets in california than they had originally planned.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

moths posted:

So the stand-in for Warner Bros was not the character literally named Buggs with a bunny tattoo?

The film opens with her salvaging old media for something to bring back.

Well It's spelt bugs as in computer bugs I thought. And with her being a self sacrificing leader, willing to put herself in harms way instead of her friends, I'd think she's not meant to be a soul less media company personally.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Am I going crazy or did she not say "...like Buggs Bunny" when she's introduced?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mega Comrade posted:

Well It's spelt bugs as in computer bugs I thought. And with her being a self sacrificing leader, willing to put herself in harms way instead of her friends, I'd think she's not meant to be a soul less media company personally.

Also Warner Brothers is literally name dropped as the parent company of the Neo Depression Machine that is his job.

mmmmalo
Mar 30, 2018

Hello!

moths posted:

Am I going crazy or did she not say "...like Buggs Bunny" when she's introduced?

Plus the "What's Up Doc" when Neo wakes up, she is totally a stand in for Warner corporate. She is also a fan creator, the movie blurs the distinction between reboot and fanfic

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Found the source for the Morpheus thing, it's an AV Club interview with co-writers Aleksandar Hemon and David Mitchell:

quote:

AVC: The scenes in the “real world,” where humans and machines are working together and growing strawberries, is a nice new wrinkle. Were there any personal favorite ideas like the strawberries that were close to making it into the movie but ended up cut?

AH: I think the most exciting thing that we had to give up because it was too expensive was the machines were supposed to be speaking and they were supposed to be communicating. But the CGI would’ve been very expensive for that.

There was also a very elaborate and aggressive machine in the Machine City, and we had a name for that machine: “Animalium.” Morpheus was supposed to fight this big mechanical monster, so the good machines and the bad machines were supposed to have more prominence, but it was too cost-prohibitive. I know this because I was writing dialogue for those machines, and there was a point where I couldn’t convince myself that machines would be saying the same things that humans would. So the dialogue was lousy. So I had to realize that I couldn’t write machine dialogue. Well, I couldn’t then. Maybe I could now. Next time.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Missed opportunity to let actual AI write the dialogue and then TTS it.

Morpheus, take this punch.

I have a gift for you it is this kick. Hi-ya.

We are fighting. We fight now. Ow! That was painful, you are good at fighting.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

moths posted:

I feel like making Trinity's false DSI identity male would have accomplished a lot of that.

The audience knows Trinity, Neo loves her, and then the machine are misgendering her as a means of control.
I think that's already in the movie. Neo and Trinity have always had an androgynous aspect to them that is empathized by how similar they look to each other. The analyst admits that calling her Tiffany in the end was an act of mockery. Trinity in the original film is often assumed to be a man anyway, an assumption she doesn't seem to care about. Making her a literal man is probably not as cruel as making her a soccer mom.

I think it's worth remembering that while The Matrix may not have much in terms of literal transgender characters, it has always played with femininity and masculinity which is different than gender. Neo and Trinity are not transgender characters, they do often oscillate between masculine and feminine identities. The We Hate Movies podcast did an episode yesterday on The Matrix where they made a good example of how a lot of the literary references in The Matrix cast Neo in feminine roles such as Alice, Dorothy, or Snow White being woken up my true love's kiss.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
Neo's montage at the beginning of the film should have been set to Three Dog Night's song One Is the Loneliest Number.
Then the ending should have been set to Huey Lewis' song The Power of Love.

There you go, movie fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

mmmmalo posted:

Plus the "What's Up Doc" when Neo wakes up, she is totally a stand in for Warner corporate. She is also a fan creator, the movie blurs the distinction between reboot and fanfic

Right: Warner Bros. is a literal character in the movie, but barely does anything. It's described in two lines of dialogue, it isn't shown onscreen and, like - oh no! - it owns the rights to the Matrix IP and wants to do a sequel... for money?!

Meanwhile, Tom Anderson is evidently cofounder of the Deus Machina videogame company, which has no real-world analogue. Tom Anderson isn't Lana Wachowski, and DM isn't Village Roadshow.

Here we should note that, in the particulars of the setting, the world of 'San Francisco' has existed for less than twenty years. Its entire history is simulated. "Warner Bros." (the character) isn't Warner Bros. (the company), because it just arbitrarily popped into existence in a seemingly-perpetual alt-2019 where a prominently-branded DELL desktop can run a universe simulation with true AI.