Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
We're explaining the same thing, buddy. I think something got lost in translation.

Specialize skills you trigger. But don't put them on your hotbar. That's the point I was making.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Vinestalk posted:

We're explaining the same thing, buddy. I think something got lost in translation.

Specialize skills you trigger. But don't put them on your hotbar. That's the point I was making.

OH poo poo, yes okay, I didn't realize you meant to put unspecialized utility skills while speccing into trigger skills. I had it backwards in my head for some reason like you're triggering unspecced damage skills to spec into more utilities.

Yeah I would absolutely do that with Abyssal Echoes but VK has no good way to reduce mana costs and VK mana costs are BRUTAL. Took me like, 9 tiers of mana regen affixes to get a comfortable amount of regen to spam my skills on cooldown.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

NPR Journalizard posted:

Are there any tricks to working out if a guide is good or not? I have been following a fire Necro guide and it seems to be working so far, but I only just hit 50

You do not need a guide in this game unless you are trying to push T4 dungeon or 100+ corruption monoliths. If you just do a little math and push one damage type and some solid offensive skills you'll be fine.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Vinestalk posted:

Best advice I can give for adapting a build to endgame monoliths is find the skill you really enjoy using the most, get it down to 0 mana cost via tree or gear, find ways to trigger other skills of similar damage type off of using that skill, specialize those skills but don't put them on your bar, and instead put buffs/movement/survival stuff on your bar.

There's probably insane builds out there that don't need the survival stuff, using PoE level min/maxing that poo poo out DPS, but the above has worked for me.

There are some builds where I’d agree with this, but I think it’s better to just actually specialize in a balanced selection of skills. Defensive abilities like flame ward will be much better panic buttons if you’re actually specced to use them, and the majority of builds will be better off just using their damage skills directly rather than finding other skills that proc them.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

You do not need a guide in this game unless you are trying to push T4 dungeon or 100+ corruption monoliths. If you just do a little math and push one damage type and some solid offensive skills you'll be fine.

That’s true, but I think also assumes some arpg basics and the ability to read and easily internalize the in-game information. If you haven’t played a good bit of other, similar games, you might struggle without following advice from other players.

Generally, though, you can get quite far in Last Epoch just with randomly slapped together gear or a shaky build because almost every big attack is telegraphed and avoidable. The one thing that will really help is high move speed and/or a good movement skill.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I have played a fair bit of PoE, so I'm not new to ARPGs, but I find it easier to just follow a guide rather than spend hours working out whats optimal.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
The nice part about Last Epoch is other than your class you can fully respec for more or less no cost at any time. Especially your skills you can play around with tons of stuff as you level because your base level goes up and the first few after that level extremely quickly. It's one of my favorite aspects to the game where it has tons of depth in building a character but really promotes experimentation. Plus just about any build will easily get through the story so just screw around with stuff and see what you like.

I'd you do want a guide though there's several decent ones on the official forums and boardman21 has a lot of good videos. The main thing to check for is just like PoE, required uniques, lots of builds need certain things to get going.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The other part that's nice about Last Epoch is there is actual build variety and you can make your character your own, and if you screw it up really bad you can fix it relatively easily. Unlike PoE, where unless you follow some optimized path you end up with a piece of poo poo 20 hours in.

My very first character was just a Mage fire guy that I made by picking Fire skills and passives that made Fire stuff better and gear that did fire damage and it worked wonderfully. Imagine my surprise when I saw a guide on how to make one and it was fairly different from mine and looked like a lot less fun to play.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
what's funny is that, coming off Grim Dawn, LE's respeccing is still overly punitive and the UI for it isn't great

like, every time you want to redo a passive having it ask "are you ABSOLUTELY SURE!!!!!! you want to SPEND THIS ENORMOUS SUM OF MONEY* to free up THIS SINGLE PASSIVE POINT?!?!?!?!?!?!" is a bit much

*in no way an enormous sum of money

i 100% see that if you're coming off PoE, it's going to be like a massive breath of freedom, though

Dr_Gee fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 29, 2021

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Dr_Gee posted:

what's funny is that, coming off Grim Dawn, LE's respeccing is still overly punitive and the UI for it isn't great

like, every time you want to redo a passive having it ask "are you ABSOLUTELY SURE!!!!!! you want to SPEND THIS ENORMOUS SUM OF MONEY* to free up THIS SINGLE PASSIVE POINT?!?!?!?!?!?!" is a bit much

*in no way an enormous sum of money

i 100% see that if you're coming off PoE, it's going to be like a massive breath of freedom, though

Definitely should be a checkbox to disable confirmation prompts. Love the dramatic take on it, though.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I know Diablo games are really not "RPG" in the pencil-and-paper sense but I always like the idea of "making a character" so I kinda like being gated to the subclass you pick, while having the fluidity to experiment with the build therein.

Something about just being able to swap EVERYTHING around in D3 immediately on the fly never quite jived with me.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Sab669 posted:

I know Diablo games are really not "RPG" in the pencil-and-paper sense but I always like the idea of "making a character" so I kinda like being gated to the subclass you pick, while having the fluidity to experiment with the build therein.

Something about just being able to swap EVERYTHING around in D3 immediately on the fly never quite jived with me.

This is exactly how I feel. I like the Necro Acolyte alot but if the Warlock is my jam I won't mind levelling up again. The game is fun.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
They've got plans to redo the passive respec UI, like letting you shift points around freely during a respec and then a single final confirm to make it take effect.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Magus42 posted:

They've got plans to redo the passive respec UI, like letting you shift points around freely during a respec and then a single final confirm to make it take effect.

sweet!

If i have this right, Phys Resistance Shred does help with Bleed damage, but Phys Penetration does not.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

sweet!

If i have this right, Phys Resistance Shred does help with Bleed damage, but Phys Penetration does not.

Correct, but specifically phys resistance shred and not armor shred. This reddit post has a ton of helpful information for dot builds.

https://old.reddit.com/r/LastEpoch/comments/rpjxod/beginner_guide_dots_and_you_where_to_start_when/

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Cinara posted:

Correct, but specifically phys resistance shred and not armor shred. This reddit post has a ton of helpful information for dot builds.

https://old.reddit.com/r/LastEpoch/comments/rpjxod/beginner_guide_dots_and_you_where_to_start_when/

right!

Thanks for the link. Coming from primarily PoE and a side of Grim Dawn, the affixes/mechanics in this game don't seem that complex (so far)

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Getting back into this game after a fairly long break, getting away from my fascination with Void Knight and going for a minion build using the Necromancer this time. Smooth sailing in the early game as you get 3 skeletons as your very first skill and they immediately start wrecking faces.

Have the golem unlocked now, and he is a tanky boy without any sort of specialization. By level 35'ish I will in theory no longer be doing any damage at all directly, as it will be all minions all the time just because of the limits on active skills vs. the number of minion skills available.

Game still good.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

The Locator posted:

Getting back into this game after a fairly long break, getting away from my fascination with Void Knight and going for a minion build using the Necromancer this time. Smooth sailing in the early game as you get 3 skeletons as your very first skill and they immediately start wrecking faces.

Have the golem unlocked now, and he is a tanky boy without any sort of specialization. By level 35'ish I will in theory no longer be doing any damage at all directly, as it will be all minions all the time just because of the limits on active skills vs. the number of minion skills available.

Game still good.

My highest level character is a Necro who uses only minion skills and it is a delight. The minion AI isn’t terrible!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

You can A-Click like it's DOTA or Starcraft and tell your pets to Attack Here, too.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So I am fairly good on what tags affect my minions, but what I'm not sure about is leech for myself related to minions. Boardman21 uses the Avarice unique gloves on his minion necro, but I don't think the leech actually is doing anything since all my damage is from my minions. Am I wrong, or does the "3% of Elemental Damage leeched as health" on the gloves actually work with my volatile zombies? I don't think it does based purely on observation, but combat is kind of hectic in this game so I'm not honestly sure.

Also on ward - with Volatile Zombies you can have a portion of their explody damage leech to you as ward, but ward just dissolves away incredibly fast. Is it better to skip that node and just have it leech as health? This is the first character I've ever even poked around with ward on, and so far it just seems inferior to health leech other than the fact that it adds on top of health to give you a bigger buffer once it's up and running for long/big fights.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Pretty sure you're right about the elemental leech aspect. Maybe the leech rate and allres on those gloves would still make them good to level with even if you aren't benefiting from the specific elemental leech (plus, aren't they a guaranteed quest reward?), which might be why they're recommended in your guide.

The thing with ward is that if you aren't speccing into retention OR just flat-out overpowering the decay by just constantly getting more added then it isn't great, but if you are then it can be! I kinda lucked into ward as a defense layer on my Bladedancer but I think other classes have a lot more support for it built in.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ok majasa is kinda hard

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

The Locator posted:

So I am fairly good on what tags affect my minions, but what I'm not sure about is leech for myself related to minions. Boardman21 uses the Avarice unique gloves on his minion necro, but I don't think the leech actually is doing anything since all my damage is from my minions. Am I wrong, or does the "3% of Elemental Damage leeched as health" on the gloves actually work with my volatile zombies? I don't think it does based purely on observation, but combat is kind of hectic in this game so I'm not honestly sure.

Also on ward - with Volatile Zombies you can have a portion of their explody damage leech to you as ward, but ward just dissolves away incredibly fast. Is it better to skip that node and just have it leech as health? This is the first character I've ever even poked around with ward on, and so far it just seems inferior to health leech other than the fact that it adds on top of health to give you a bigger buffer once it's up and running for long/big fights.

If it helps, I took the node to turn the damage into ward, and routinely max out my ward meter on fights. Once your zombies are doing a lot of damage, it adds up. I dont have much ward retention on gear either.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Captain Foo posted:

ok majasa is kinda hard

Chapter 9 is the "real Dark Souls starts here" part of the campaign and I like it. Looking forward to 10 - 12.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

NPR Journalizard posted:

If it helps, I took the node to turn the damage into ward, and routinely max out my ward meter on fights. Once your zombies are doing a lot of damage, it adds up. I dont have much ward retention on gear either.

Thanks, I'll stick with it for a while and see how it goes.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

The Locator posted:

Thanks, I'll stick with it for a while and see how it goes.

I have taken a few points in lich to get a bit of mana regen to pump out zombies without running out of mana though.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Captain Foo posted:

ok majasa is kinda hard

I have to try her again on my Bladedancer after spending some time in the monolith. Last time I tried, her second form kept killing me, mainly because she constantly charges me.

:saddowns:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Phase 2 took me forever on my Sorcerer. Annoying having to do phase 1 again when you die.

Or having to clear two zones without a way point if you log off

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

It feels like my general focus on offensive stats over defensive stats might be coming home to roost

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Go craft some Elemental Resistances, Poison, and Physical.

That was the fight that also made me realize just how Glass my Glass Canon was

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sab669 posted:

I think my poison is overmax, that’s not the problem

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Hollow Talk posted:

I have to try her again on my Bladedancer after spending some time in the monolith. Last time I tried, her second form kept killing me, mainly because she constantly charges me.

:saddowns:

Wait you can go into the monolith before finishing the campaign?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Captain Foo posted:

Wait you can go into the monolith before finishing the campaign?

You can go into monoliths as soon as you reach the End of Time area in chapter 4, you just aren't directed to (and you'll probably get shredded if you try before like level 50 or so).

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

To shreds, you say?

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Sab669 posted:

When I did that fight on my bladedancer I crafted two sets of armor and switched at the transition. First one was my general set that is more offensively directed, the second was all physical and poison resistances. Still took a couple of attempts, but was definitely better than trying with just my first set!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I was close to max Elemental with my Sorc, a little poison and nearly no Physical at the time lol.

Did some Monoliths and over leveling + new gear and if still took me a few tries :v:

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
I'm waiting to maybe jump into this game when it has multiplayer, but my weird question is: how hard is it to determine if a randomly generated drop is worth grabbing in the endgame? What ultimately stopped me from playing more PoE when I first got to maps was any non-unique drop was so difficult to place a value on I felt like I was doing homework every time I came back with a backpack full of loot.

I don't necessarily need it to be "Vanilla D3" levels of simple, but just like... one or two degrees simpler than PoE drops.

I like what I hear of the planned Auction House though, multiplayer economies are my jam to play with.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The game has a very elaborate Loot Filter system.

So like on my Sorc I've got it configured to highlight items with high-tier +Fire & +Spell damage. Then you can even add more filters to that rule to single out specific items, eg Wands and even as far as to suggest specific base-types too. My bow-Rogue has a filter to just hide everything that is a 1h, or non-Bow 2H.

So when you hit that point of, "Basically what I want but better-rolled" you can easily configure the rules to hide out the junk.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 30, 2021

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Manyorcas posted:

I'm waiting to maybe jump into this game when it has multiplayer, but my weird question is: how hard is it to determine if a randomly generated drop is worth grabbing in the endgame? What ultimately stopped me from playing more PoE when I first got to maps was any non-unique drop was so difficult to place a value on I felt like I was doing homework every time I came back with a backpack full of loot.

It's incredibly easy with some investment. There are loot filters and it takes a little bit of time the first time you set it up but it's a very powerful very easy rules engine that lets you, for instance, CAPITALIZE THE NAMES of everything that has affixes you're looking for all the way up to literally not seeing stuff that isn't on your list. And you can color and iconize the rules to help you remember, and easily import and export them for other people or for other characters.

Also there are nice people who make loot filters for every level of play and you can import them very easily and they'll be engineered so that you turn on all the green ones when you're under level 20, then all the yellow ones when you're level 20 - 40, then the orange ones when you're level 40 - 55, etc. It's a great system honestly although again it takes a little work to set it up - but a lot less work than looking at a pile of rares that a boss just puked out and wondering which ones are actually good.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

How _is_ the economy / rare drop rate in this game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
Cool, that alone sounds really helpful.

I think also one of my problems in PoE was I tried to find if any given drop was useful to anyone, since I liked trying to understand the player economy as well as just knowing what my own build liked, but trying to do that was much, much harder.

I guess it's hard to ask how hard that would be in this game since the player economy doesn't exist yet :v: It may also not even be practical if it doesn't get a large enough playerbase at launch anyway.