Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

barbecue at the folks posted:

I really enjoy the food chat since it lets me learn something new about a region I rarely visit and makes for fun discussion, a lot more so than the usual armchair general speculation

it's a shame the GBS eastern europe thread kinda died

okroshka looks like the salat olivier of soup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

it's a shame the GBS eastern europe thread kinda died

okroshka looks like the salat olivier of soup

Olivier is actually good, whereas okroshka can be as cursed as using kvas for base liquid. And yeah, GBS thread died before the pile of GBS changes, so I don’t even know if I should bother reviving it.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Olivier is actually good, whereas okroshka can be as cursed as using kvas for base liquid. And yeah, GBS thread died before the pile of GBS changes, so I don’t even know if I should bother reviving it.
Give it a shot; at the very least we can all laugh at russian walruses again :v:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Analysis by George Friedman on the US-Russia-Ukraine 'State of Play' (Dec 28)

quote:

Russia has been trying to reclaim the buffers it lost after the collapse of the Soviet Union. These buffers, the most important of which are in Eastern Europe, insulate Russia from potential attack. In the past, these attacks have tended to emerge unexpectedly, so Russia wants to have them before a threat emerges. It doesn’t necessarily need the buffers to be part of the Russian Federation; it just needs to make sure they are not hostile (or occupied by hostile powers).

Moscow understood from the beginning that it had to reach an accommodation with Washington. It also understood that the United States, like all countries, comes to the table only when it has to. Washington has been content with the structure of the former Soviet Union. Russia has not. So Russia had to put American interests in the region, particularly in Ukraine, at risk.

.....The very obvious massing of Russian forces around the Ukrainian border was the logical next step. Deployed as they were, the massed armored forces appeared to be in a position to rapidly overrun Ukraine. The problem, of course, was that though a country as large as Ukraine could be overrun, it could not be overrun rapidly.

.....The Russians know this far better than I do. So the coming negotiations will break down here and there; Russian forces will be on full alert, but Russia can’t afford a defeat and can’t be certain of victory. In the end, the thing that the Russians will have gained is that they sat down across from the Americans as equals, and the rest of the world will have seen it. There will be consequences to America for conceding the point, and the Europeans will proclaim the end of American power for the hundredth time. And history will go on.

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 28, 2021

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

cinci zoo sniper posted:

all salats are basically SCPs and olivier is no exception. this is stockholm syndrome.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

FishBulbia posted:

all salats are basically SCPs and olivier is no exception. this is stockholm syndrome.

You haven't even heard how I prefer my olivier. I don't like marinated cucumber, and properly salted cucumber is a bit too sharp for it in my taste, so I use fresh cucumber. I don't believe in eggs in salad (and I'm slightly allergic to eggs anyway), so I don't use eggs. Furthermore, I absolutely cannot stand mayonnaise, unless it's like 0.3 micrograms of it in a burger, or I'm having like garlic aioli at an expensive French restaurant, so I don't use mayonnaise, or anything else, for dressing. Lastly, when I was a kid, my family, and families of my friends, couldn't always get large quantities of lean hot-smoked meat, so I grew up on eating olivier made with doctor's sausage.

The olivier I make for myself literally consists of boiled potatoes, fresh cucumber, and doctor's sausage, all cubed. No dressing, optional seasoning with some green onion and salt.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Dec 28, 2021

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

actually add some mayo to that. my main aversion is usually the eggs. big fan of dokorskaya so i am offend you implied the tube meat was an inferior product

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

FishBulbia posted:

actually add some mayo to that. my main aversion is usually the eggs. big fan of dokorskaya so i am offend you implied the tube meat was an inferior product

I literally gag on generic local mayo in any noticeable quantities, it’s not going to happen. Adding enough cucumber does more than a sufficient job at making it slippery. And yeah sorry about your pink snake, but freshly smoked lean cuts beat it in almost any application.

Eggs in olivier though seem to be generally controversial here - majority of takes I’ve witnessed don’t use them.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

This is such a piece of poo poo analysis.

quote:

When war broke out in the South Caucasus between Azerbaijan and Armenia, Russia dispatched a peacekeeping force and, with its enormous influence in the region, constructed a system of relationships dominated by Russia.

The current arrangement is dominated by Turkey. Azerbaijan and Turkey got everything they wanted, Russia's security client Armenia got absolutely punked, and the division Russia has sitting in Nag-Kar for peacekeeping has done nothing to stop the skirmishing.

That conflict wasn't some big win for ascendant regional power Russia, but for NATO-aligned Turkey.

quote:

At worst, it’s a prime candidate for a war of attrition as the U.S., weary of Russia’s anti-aircraft capability, fires cruise missiles from afar. (Russia can, of course, shoot some down, but the losses would be huge.)

A stand-off Air/Naval intervention by the USMil is most certainly not in the cards given the escalation risk.

quote:

The Russians have not engaged in multidivisional offensives since 1945.

The Soviets engaged in miltidivisional offensives in Afghanistan, and the Russians did in Chechnya and Georgia.

quote:

In the end, the thing that the Russians will have gained is that they sat down across from the Americans as equals, and the rest of the world will have seen it.

But they already accomplished just that, earlier this year! There are far cheaper and less destabilizing ways to secure a photo op with Biden than mobilizing the entire western and southern and most of the central military districts.

Only way this isn't ending in a push into Ukranian territory is if A) Putin decides last minute war isn't worth the cost (and nothing NATO or the US has done has altered the initial calculus that led to the beginning of mobilization) or B) he gets what he wants in terms of security guarantees.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 29, 2021

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Why don't we just promise Putin to respect the territorial integrity of the Russian Federation?

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Conspiratiorist posted:

The current arrangement is dominated by Turkey. Azerbaijan and Turkey got everything they wanted, Russia's security client Armenia got absolutely punked, and the division Russia has sitting in Nag-Kar for peacekeeping has done nothing to stop the skirmishing.
Russian policy was not to interfere with the war unless absolutely necessary, they have good relations with Azerbaijan too. While Azerbaijan managed to unfreeze the frozen conflict, Russia has 2000 peacekeepers in Nagorno-Karabakh now and who knows when they will leave? It's not a zero sum game and multiple countries made gains. The losers were Iran and Armenia. Also any flare up of violence in the area is generally used to Russia's advantage, never let a crisis go to waste.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Russia already had a division-strenght presence in Armenia so the peacekeeping element is no gain.

It seems plenty of garden variety thinkpiece writers are trying to use the Armenia-Azerbaijan situation to paint the picture of a regional power expanding its buffers, and consequently framing the Ukraine situation within that context, but the truth to me seems closer to a regional power that's been backed into a corner with NATO-backed states challenging its previous spheres of influence.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Conspiratiorist posted:

Russia already had a division-strenght presence in Armenia so the peacekeeping element is no gain.

It seems plenty of garden variety thinkpiece writers are trying to use the Armenia-Azerbaijan situation to paint the picture of a regional power expanding its buffers, and consequently framing the Ukraine situation within that context, but the truth to me seems closer to a regional power that's been backed into a corner with NATO-backed states challenging its previous spheres of influence.

Turkish foreign policy has almost never really had much to do with anything NATO wide aside from USSR fears, let alone NATO approved.
I mean you're right that his framing of that conflict is bad, but I think you're falling into a similar trap, just approaching it as a plus for NATO rather than a plus for Russia.

That was a super regional conflict. Turkish interest is very nationalist as much as anything considering their relations with Azerbaijan, and anti-relations with Armenia. Cross sectioning frankly coincidentally with Russia's residual influence in the area (and Iran's) as it did. I doubt even Russian views see those goings on in some sort of "NATO YIKES!" context.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
The proper view is of a Russia in decline, making very risky military moves to defend a shrinking sphere of influence.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Morrow posted:

The proper view is of a Russia in decline, making very risky military moves to defend a shrinking sphere of influence.

Yeah I could see the ArmAz conflict in the context of Russia worrying about their brand as influential, impactful, and relevant. And instability in that area effects that brand one way or the other.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Conspiratiorist posted:

How is it not a gain for Russia? Azerbaijan is on good terms with Russia (generally speaking) despite Russia being the security guarantor of Armenia, selling weapons to Armenia at cheaper prices than to Azerbaijan and the transparent fuckery the Kremlin gets up to with frozen conflicts in the region. Now Russian troops are stationed in Azerbaijan and if they want to pour more resources into there they can on a whim without any oversight from Azerbaijan "for peacekeeping purposes". There are Turkish forces there but less than 200.

The Kremlin saw the reality on the ground in the region Armenia drifting towards the EU and becoming weaker compared to Azerbaijan. So policy needed to be readjusted.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Grape posted:

Turkish foreign policy has almost never really had much to do with anything NATO wide aside from USSR fears, let alone NATO approved.
I mean you're right that his framing of that conflict is bad, but I think you're falling into a similar trap, just approaching it as a plus for NATO rather than a plus for Russia.

That was a super regional conflict. Turkish interest is very nationalist as much as anything considering their relations with Azerbaijan, and anti-relations with Armenia. Cross sectioning frankly coincidentally with Russia's residual influence in the area (and Iran's) as it did. I doubt even Russian views see those goings on in some sort of "NATO YIKES!" context.

Oh, I'm well aware of the game Erdogan plays.

I'm just emphasizing that the conflict wasn't any kind of win for Russia, and if anything it was a win for a state that's a member of NATO - even if said state was very much acting out of their own intiative and interests rather than as part of any broader alliance policy.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Grape posted:

Yeah I could see the ArmAz conflict in the context of Russia worrying about their brand as influential, impactful, and relevant. And instability in that area effects that brand one way or the other.

That's it.

Like if/when the Ukraine situation flares up, and hypothetically Erdogan nudges Azerbaijan to make a move, the Russian response would be to grant the Azeris quick concesions to make it go away.

Realistically they can't afford to get involved but it's a matter of national prestige to pretend they're relevant.

Morrow posted:

That's my take, with consideration to Putin himself as an aging autocrat potentially worried about his legacy.

I also think old guard analysts as exemplified by Friedman's piece there are rather stuck in a cold war mindset where military posturing was freely employed with an end goal of achieving bilateral summits, ignoring how its use in said capacity has greatly fallen out of favor in the last few decades.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

cinci zoo sniper posted:

And the vanilla and potato crisps ice cream with chocolate glazing, in the focus of photo, was okay then, I presume? Yes, it is.

if it helps any, ben and jerry's once sent this abomination out into the market, so it seems like a type of universal crime against food (unlike jimmy fallon, who is a distinctly american shame)

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

The olivier I make for myself literally consists of boiled potatoes, fresh cucumber, and doctor's sausage, all cubed. No dressing, optional seasoning with some green onion and salt.

Going back to food cultural exchange - have you tried apples, boiled carrots/parsley roots, mushrooms, corn?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mmkay posted:

Going back to food cultural exchange - have you tried apples, boiled carrots/parsley roots, mushrooms, corn?

Only separately, please don’t tell there’s a land out there where people make olivier with apples.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Only separately, please don’t tell there’s a land out there where people make olivier with apples.

Well, we don't put any meat in the salad (and I had to google it was the same overall idea of a salad: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olivier_salad#Central_Europe ), but yeah we stick in it the ingredients I posted, +potatoes, pickled cucumbers and eggs.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mmkay posted:

Well, we don't put any meat in the salad (and I had to google it was the same overall idea of a salad: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olivier_salad#Central_Europe ), but yeah we stick in it the ingredients I posted, +potatoes, pickled cucumbers and eggs.

:staredog: Poland is like a speedrun of making wrong decisions. And I say that as someone who had eaten toasts with salami and Nutella.

On a more serious note, I wouldn’t necessarily qualify your take as an olivier, but not because it’s not a valid olivier variant - I just grew up where everyone calls it “meat salad”, which doesn’t quite work with a dish that has apples instead of meat.

Also, again - apples with mayo? What the gently caress.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Dec 29, 2021

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
polish food is either Really Good (see flaczki; a culinary masterpiece) or, well, really not-so-good (see this abomination; this horrific perversion of olivier as a concept)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
According to that Wiki article you can take literally anything and call it a Polish potato salad and somebody will nod sagely and agree

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Sałatka jarzynowa is pretty good when combined with something else. I usually get a slice of bread, a bit of pork chop and top it with sałatka. Pretty nice after shot of vodka.
e: never had one with tart apples or pickles

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

The variation of olivier in my family is colloquially called "kaczy żer" or duck's feed. The romanticism of Polish kitchen never ceases to amaze.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

alex314 posted:

Sałatka jarzynowa is pretty good when combined with something else. I usually get a slice of bread, a bit of pork chop and top it with sałatka. Pretty nice after shot of vodka.
e: never had one with tart apples or pickles

I've had both, but adding apples seems pretty rare. It wasn't the worst thing, but for me definitely out of place.

In general, I love salatkas. I miss the Dutch "Huzaren" variant, from when I used to live there.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
I'm not touching any of the olivier varieties but all the salad talk made me extremely nostalgic for crab salad (rice, crab sticks, canned corn, cucumber, mayo).

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

if it helps any, ben and jerry's once sent this abomination out into the market, so it seems like a type of universal crime against food (unlike jimmy fallon, who is a distinctly american shame)

Vermont’s finest indeed, heh. But having just posted here a photo of soup with banana and Coca-Cola in it, I may have less of a strong hand at mocking American food.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I've never experienced it being called холодный борщ in Russian - usually холодник, seldom свекольник. Speaking of Russian soups, here's something from my old job in Russia:

I guess I should translate this for everyone to marvel.

“Okroshka with mojito” for $2

Pear, kiwi fruit, banana, apple, grapes, apricot, canned pineapple, celery (stem), lime, mint, sugar syrup, condensed milk, Coca-Cola.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Based on picture alone I'd love to try Okroshka Tatarskaya.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

alex314 posted:

Based on picture alone I'd love to try Okroshka Tatarskaya.

Beef, potato, egg, cucumber, kvas, mustard, sour cream, and greens (looks like dill and green onion).

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Arzachel posted:

I'm not touching any of the olivier varieties but all the salad talk made me extremely nostalgic for crab salad (rice, crab sticks, canned corn, cucumber, mayo).

this is indeed an incredibly Powerful salad and i am happy to report that around 50% of all food i have consumed over the last two days or so have been this salad (new year food season started early this year :v:)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I guess I should translate this for everyone to marvel.

“Okroshka with mojito” for $2

Pear, kiwi fruit, banana, apple, grapes, apricot, canned pineapple, celery (stem), lime, mint, sugar syrup, condensed milk, Coca-Cola.

Take away the celery, serve it in a bowl as fruit salad... meh, probably would

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Also, again - apples with mayo? What the gently caress.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waldorf_salad this and the american style chicken salad with mayo, apples, and cranberries are both extremely good

FishBulbia fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Dec 29, 2021

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

nurmie posted:

this is indeed an incredibly Powerful salad and i am happy to report that around 50% of all food i have consumed over the last two days or so have been this salad (new year food season started early this year :v:)

I’m into the third kilogram of mandarin oranges over here, and have only had them and sandwiches since Christmas Day. Going to keep it like this until 31st, which is when I plan to make olivier and start planning return to sanity.

FishBulbia posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waldorf_salad this and the american style chicken salad with mayo, apples, and cranberries are both extremely good

:stonk:

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Scandinavians can play too - Danish "Russian Salad"

2-3 cooked beets
3-4 pickled cucumbers
1 apple
1 small red onion
2 tbsp. capers
3-4 cooked potatoes
2 tbsp. grated horseradish
ca. 3-4 dl mayonnaise
ca. 1 dl creme fraiche

I would not eat this abomination

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Waldorf salad is pretty amazing, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Rust Martialis posted:

Scandinavians can play too - Danish "Russian Salad"

2-3 cooked beets
3-4 pickled cucumbers
1 apple
1 small red onion
2 tbsp. capers
3-4 cooked potatoes
2 tbsp. grated horseradish
ca. 3-4 dl mayonnaise
ca. 1 dl creme fraiche

I would not eat this abomination

absolutly would. I sometimes just eat shredded beets with a lattice of mayo on top. Always preferred the fur coat to the herring so this looks fantastic.