Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Ive been playing a bit of skyfactory 4 again. but im at the point where im just waiting for my laser drills to dig up some boron :/

I think ill give omnifactory a go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
So I've ended up settling on some pretty weird-feeling turns with this project to start with. For example, quests are largely for suggestions and providing overarching goals and story etc rather than task lists - so far I've ended up with a sort of Subnautica vibe. Also, no quest rewards. Which feels very liberating, coming up with relevant quest rewards was a pain in the rear end with my previous attempt. Still working out how progression is going to happen though, but it will be ahem loosely ahem based on Regrowth.

Will be very interesting to see how the whole system will be received when I start putting it out to people.

BTW if you're interested in modpack development (or watching my process of figuring out what I'm doing in relatively real-time) check out the Minecraft Pack Development discord.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Dec 23, 2021

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...

Leal posted:

I've set up a bridge running connecting 3 other land masses to my house. But I didn't build the entire bridge, I just set up the line where the rails will be placed, then put rails along turns cause the train will end up placing rails all weird while turning and end up going into the sea. This happened twice :shepface: The other deployers set up the stone for the rest of the bridge.

I never thought about using a cart contraption for a general bridge/path builder even though I’ve made tunnel bores before. I’ve always gone with the schematicannon to build bridges and such, but I guess you can make a more complex design with those as well.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Black Pants posted:

So I've ended up settling on some pretty weird-feeling turns with this project to start with. For example, quests are largely for suggestions and providing overarching goals and story etc rather than task lists - so far I've ended up with a sort of Subnautica vibe. Also, no quest rewards. Which feels very liberating, coming up with relevant quest rewards was a pain in the rear end with my previous attempt. Still working out how progression is going to happen though, but it will be ahem loosely ahem based on Regrowth.

Will be very interesting to see how the whole system will be received when I start putting it out to people.

I'm real excited to get my hands on it when it comes out.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Omnifactory.

Will EU machines blow up in the rain? Ive built my land next to a city so its open space, as minecraft lords intented all to be built.

But if stuff is going to explode when it rains i may as well clear out a building of spawners and move in there.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Nope, you're good. Most of that poo poo's been turned off or patched out since the focus intends to be on ease of use rather than the needless punishment GT was founded on.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Omnifactory is super chill and has none of that bullshit. It's also designed for peaceful too, if you want even more chill.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Yeha it is seemign pretty chill.

Is there a way to set to peaceful after starting a game?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Meskhenet posted:

Yeha it is seemign pretty chill.

Is there a way to set to peaceful after starting a game?
Options menu should do it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Is there a goon consensus on the best visual/performance rather than functionality mods? I am getting the sense that it's Iris + Indium + Sodium + Lithium + (Phosphor OR Starlight), but I can't find anything other than year old Reddit posts about it.

I tried out Sodium + Lithium + Phosphor and it ran fantastically, but I'd like to get Patrix and SEUS PTGI in too...

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

Is there a goon consensus on the best visual/performance rather than functionality mods? I am getting the sense that it's Iris + Indium + Sodium + Lithium + (Phosphor OR Starlight), but I can't find anything other than year old Reddit posts about it.

I tried out Sodium + Lithium + Phosphor and it ran fantastically, but I'd like to get Patrix and SEUS PTGI in too...

idk if you've done it already but for me the most dramatic improvement has been switching the java virtual machine as described here: https://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/as6p87/java_vms_and_you_how_to_reduce_your_ram_and_cpu/

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

in the process of troubleshooting an issue that ended up being unrelated (autohotkey was causing annoying mouselook issues) i found that, read a bunch about it, and tried it. as best i can tell, openj9’s improvement for minecraft is memory consumption, which would only help overall performance if that was a constraint with hotspot. i also saw some benchmarks showing that hotspot has better TPS if there are no memory constraints

evidently openj9 also causes really inconsistent but dramatic bugs with some Forge mods (like packagedauto). anyway i feel like using openj9 for modded minecraft is a gamer contrarian urban legend, and i am a gamer contrarian urban legend contrarian

on the other hand i found some nerd post an issue about bad performance in modded minecraft on openj9 on the Eclipse team github, and instead of saying “gtfo gamer” the openj9 devs found and fixed the bug in question

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Yeah, I tend to msotly build my own janky modpacks to play with so I'm not sure if there's some critical compatibility issues with something, but it has seriously actually really sped up my games. With around 6GB of ram dedicated to Minecraft 1.16 I went from stuttery, laggy maps where it was nearly impossible to do anything to buttery smooth performance after I switched. It's real I tell you!!! It's real!!!

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Looks like Create and Immersive Engineering are up to 1.18 now.
Which some nerd lovingly jammed into a pack.
No idea which server its for though.
https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/modpacks/goon-squad-modpack

Been waiting for an RF mod to be updated.
There were a few Fabric RF mods that got brought up to 1.18, but I just dont like Tech Reborn.
Seems that every time i've had a crash on newer packs it was related to that.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Omnifactory.

Ok so i can probably finish LV and head to MV. As usual my automation sucks, i do everything by hand.

Will i be better off making multiples of some LV machines and using the covers to do automation? or just head into MV? Do i need mob simulation?

When is there better power? ATM my entire base runs off 1 steam dynamo (4 augs) and then 1 boiler and 2 steam dynamos (3 augs and conversion)

I havent built the oven thing yet to improve fuel efficency either (thats probably next)

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Meskhenet posted:

Omnifactory.

Ok so i can probably finish LV and head to MV. As usual my automation sucks, i do everything by hand.

Will i be better off making multiples of some LV machines and using the covers to do automation? or just head into MV? Do i need mob simulation?
You won't need any multiples of LV machines, you will rarely need multiples of MV machines (one example is sugarcane feeding 3-4 fermenters)

quote:

When is there better power? ATM my entire base runs off 1 steam dynamo (4 augs) and then 1 boiler and 2 steam dynamos (3 augs and conversion)
Your goal is to get one simulation chamber ASAP with a few pearls and a stack or two of uranium, use those to create a few stacks of polymer clay to feed an enderman sim, once you have that going make a second and start leveling up a shulker and get some diamonds then immediately move to numi dynamos with them, then once you have the numis make a bunch more sim chambers and more numis and more chambers, typically one for each type to get raw materials and basically never mine or worry about power again until the mid-late game when you've got ~40 numis and are looking at fission/fusion.

Since you'll want a cobble->gravel->sand->dust->clay/electrolyzer line of pulverizers feeding into drawers for raw materials and aluminum dust, and since that dust is the raw component of MV and plentiful you'll never make LV again once you have your sim chambers and polymer factory.

Your polymer clay line can be all LV with the single MV chem reactor. MV can work on the LV line by connecting it to power on two sides. You can see from the ratio below that is good for your first dozen sim chambers once you upgrade the smelter as well.

Important ratios for sim chambers in terms of power/supply:
pre:
1 enderman model for 6.2 other models (self-aware)
19.66 simulation chambers per loot fabricator
1 shulker model for # numi dynamos:
- (Don’t use) hardened
- 2.29 reinforced
- 1.32 signalum
- (Don’t use) resonant
Numismatic dynamos with full fuel catalyser augments
1 MV chemical reactor: 301/100x4 = 12.04 simulation chambers
HV: 301/36x4 = 33.44
EV: 301/13x4 = 92.61
IV: 301/5x4 = 240.8
Alloy smelter must be the same tier as chemical reactor for a 1:1 ratio
1 blizz model and 1 witch model for 15.94 active cryotheum coolers

quote:

I havent built the oven thing yet to improve fuel efficency either (thats probably next)
the only thing the pyroclayse oven is good for a single chemical precursor, you should have a 2-4 block snad farm feeding into boilers/fermenters; you don't need to ever care about efficiency.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Dec 29, 2021

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I'm standing on the precipice of LuV and just ughhhhh why are Lumium and Signalum so annoying :negative:

Really tempted to just build another 12 or 16 sim chambers with just thermal elemental data to poo poo out rods forever for all this crap.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Meskhenet posted:

Omnifactory.

I'll compare and contrast a bit to what was already alluded to here. You will want to go nutso on the DML stuff. See:

Kyrosiris posted:

I'm standing on the precipice of LuV and just ughhhhh why are Lumium and Signalum so annoying :negative:

Really tempted to just build another 12 or 16 sim chambers with just thermal elemental data to poo poo out rods forever for all this crap.

Kyrosiris is complaining because the lumium and signalum recipes require a lot of resources created from the deep mob learning. The reason you can't use them right away though is because the ingots themselves are gated by tungstensteel coils in the middle quests. Speaking of which, I only ended up needing one simulator for the requisite thermal elementals, but I am playing on a server so I could let it just go as homework. Something that did bother me awhile was my nickel consumption. I ended up with 13 slime simulators because nickel would only come out as coins and that yield was so low.

Anyways, I tend to just stick to MV unless I specifically need to use a higher tier since the recipe calls for it. If I remember the math right, the machines tend to consume 4x more power per tier but only speed up older recipes by 2x per tier. So you do have a motivation to work in parallel. With my online game (it's a Disasterpiece Theatre server if anybody's curious; we can hook you up), an MV machine per thing I have to make tends to work fine. I have a few more for things like the DML ingredient pipeline. I think I did increase the tier on one stage in it because it was getting silly how many machines I was running to have it keep up.

Regarding the power generation: electrum-grade numismatic dynamos with efficiency upgrades will produce something like 6,000 RF/tick. With signalum, that bumps to 12,000 RF/tick. You easily overload middle-tier power conduits with a handful of them, and I end up distributing them on different floors of my base to ensure delivery. However, I think I've hit that point where I do have to get into fission. It came around the time Nuclearcraft did show up in the quest book--surprisingly good timing!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Hey does anybody have a newer, blessed Omnifactory nightly they like? I see that the main Nuclearcraft fission reactor quest on my has a placeholder item that I can't create. I couldn't readily tell if/when it was changed on GitHub so I wondered if it has been cleared out for anybody else using a nightly.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

Bhodi posted:

Your polymer clay line can be all LV with the single MV chem reactor. MV can work on the LV line by connecting it to power on two sides. You can see from the ratio below that is good for your first dozen sim chambers once you upgrade the smelter as well.

I spent forever trying to figure out where I get the nether quartz from for the resonant clathrate needed to get pulsating dust. I've looked through all the pristine matters in JEI but can't find anything that gives nether quartz or anything that would process into nether quartz.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

don't you have to electrolyze glass

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

don't you have to electrolyze glass

Correct. 4 glass in an electrolyzer makes a nether quartz, which you react with molten ender for resonant clathrate.

E: I'm sure it can be done way more elegantly but this is what my setup looks like, with everything at HV tier:

I found glass to be a massive bottleneck for a while, hence three electric furnaces cooking it constantly.

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Dec 30, 2021

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I've missed stuff like that all the time in Omnifactory. I can make tier 5 circuits and am comfortably in EV tier in general but just discovered the pipelines to convert redstone into chrome. It's been a real tight bottleneck for stainless steel production. As a subversion to what I posted about mostly using MV tier stuff, I have 5 EV tier electrolyzers (disintegrators at EV) making the intermediate ruby dust and one MV-tier centrifuge (I think it's a centrifuge) taking care of it afterwards. The ruby dust is a little faster than that one centrifuge but that's what it took.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

convert redstone into chrome

wait hold up WHAT

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

I just finished converting my auto ore processing line into EV and having a good bit of item sorting so that any backup of items doesn't screw the entire system forever, it'll clear the jam itself (my last set up didn't.....). Now I'm firmly in EV and holding off on IV since I'm runnin into power problems, because I don't have the supply chain fully thought out to keep everything running smoothly. This is also partly due to me trying different forms of generation this time instead of just making a gently caress ton of numis. I may still do that just cause I want stable power, but I still want to try more things. Steam turbine requires a stupid amount of steam and I think I'm just gonna ignore it. Fluid turbine is thirsty too, but a lot more manageable than the steam, I just need to change up my rocket fuel autocrafting to accommodate it. Also need to expand my ethanol/methanol production to crank out more nitrodiesel, and move up to the big diesel gen from a bunch of small HV ones.

I think it's safe to say I've learned my lesson on how to approach this pack, I have so many things that I was doing on demand autocrafting before with 80%-100% passive automation. No longer am I waiting around for energetic alloy and vibrant alloy, just loving keep it constantly churning out because I know I'm gonna need fucktons.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Ugg.omnifactory

is there like an easy read diagram what each teir what you need to make what is needed. (what machines and what input/output)

dicking about in jei to find that 1 thing i can actually make at the moment isnt really the gameplay im after

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Kyrosiris posted:

wait hold up WHAT

10 redstone through MV electroylyser -> 3 mercury, 1 silicon, 5 pyrite, 1 ruby dust

6 ruby dust through MV electrolyser -> 1 chrome, 2 aluminium, 3 oxygen

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

OniPanda posted:

Now I'm firmly in EV and holding off on IV since I'm runnin into power problems, because I don't have the supply chain fully thought out to keep everything running smoothly.

I think it's safe to say I've learned my lesson on how to approach this pack, I have so many things that I was doing on demand autocrafting before with 80%-100% passive automation.

I would be curious how you reconcile power with proactive automation. I'm blowing through something like 150,000 RF/tick across 24 numismatic dynamos all over the place. I think a large part of that is just all the AE2 export and storage buses.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Ender IO has power monitors, and can output redstone signal based on what percent your power buffer is at. I just use one, and have it cut the numismatics if my power above a threshold and turn them on if it's below using redstone conduit. You can also get fancy and use multiple at different thresholds, and hook up different banks, but I don't generally need that. I use lots of flux capacitors and tons of CEFs, so I'm not ever wasting power by leaving a ton of poo poo running. I either have a good amount of my power gen off because everything is happy, or my power's been drained and I need to start up the section of gen to recharge.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

OniPanda posted:

Ender IO has power monitors, and can output redstone signal based on what percent your power buffer is at. I just use one, and have it cut the numismatics if my power above a threshold and turn them on if it's below using redstone conduit. You can also get fancy and use multiple at different thresholds, and hook up different banks, but I don't generally need that. I use lots of flux capacitors and tons of CEFs, so I'm not ever wasting power by leaving a ton of poo poo running. I either have a good amount of my power gen off because everything is happy, or my power's been drained and I need to start up the section of gen to recharge.
numi self-regulates so you shouldn't need to do this unless you've got a secondary power source you want to prioritize first like a fission reactor. Just leave them on and fueled and they won't consume diamonds if their internal energy buffer fills up. You can see this if you watch it; the output decreases proportionally to the amount of stored energy in the dynamo.

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

i thought all of the dynamos can only emit RF while they’re burning fuel, and will burn fuel inefficiently (thus the augment that allows them to shut down intelligently)

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Both of those statements are correct. I shut the numis off because I don't like them saturating, and because they're not my only source of power. Need to burn off all the bio diesel -> nitro I make getting glycerol. The diesel generators will not consume when the power buffer is full, but then it's backin up on diesel and messin that section up.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
I think Omnifactory is like 125% of my limit for weird bullshit. I don't hate it or anything, but I got into the tier past HV and went 'oh okay...oh gently caress.' and kind of gave up.

I probably should have started in the void or moved there because boy having to dig new caves all the time is a pain in the rear end, but meh.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Falcon2001 posted:

I think Omnifactory is like 125% of my limit for weird bullshit. I don't hate it or anything, but I got into the tier past HV and went 'oh okay...oh gently caress.' and kind of gave up.

I probably should have started in the void or moved there because boy having to dig new caves all the time is a pain in the rear end, but meh.

are you in overworld or cities

like i moved just to overworld at some point and immediately felt like i was having a better time

then i stalled out but that's because endwalker came out

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I haven't played any of the more recent versions but back when it came out I restarted into a superflat world with terracotta and stone and I had a much better time of it. Lost Cities is good for the occasional free loot but I hated building in it.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Patware posted:

are you in overworld or cities

like i moved just to overworld at some point and immediately felt like i was having a better time

then i stalled out but that's because endwalker came out

Oh yeah, I was in lost cities; maybe I could try in Overworld instead.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

it's a big oversight that you can go to Lost Cities from the Overworld but you can't go to the Overworld if you start in Lost Cities

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Is there something goofy with the Omnifactory nightly over uranium? I don't see the path to take 238 to 235 using a thermal centrifuge--or anything, for that matter. It looks like uranium 235 just comes from uranium 235 ore, and that isn't what the quest is telling me to do. I also only have uranium-238 dust.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is there something goofy with the Omnifactory nightly over uranium? I don't see the path to take 238 to 235 using a thermal centrifuge--or anything, for that matter. It looks like uranium 235 just comes from uranium 235 ore, and that isn't what the quest is telling me to do. I also only have uranium-238 dust.

As I recall you thermal centrifuge Uranium dust to get a Uranium-238 dust and a tiny(1/9th) uranium-235 dust. It's been a long time since I played Omnifactory though so I may be wrong/outdated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
What you wrote is what I read in the quest but I didn't see it in the recipes. I guess I'll just blow through some and see what I get.

Edit: What the quest claims is the 238 dust goes through the thermal centrifuge to produce 238 clumps with some small clumps of 235. I don't see that process. I do seem to get 235 from upstream processing somewhere though (I think).

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jan 2, 2022