Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

surf rock posted:

Did they make the show as intensely horny as the books?

I can't remember reading a book series that paid more attention to bosoms and spankings.

Season 1 gets a little horny near the end.

ChubbyChecker posted:

the spankings were absolutely written with one hand because the author enjoyed it

Sure, but it's like Tarantino's foot fetish, the author being rock hard doesn't detract from the story.

Then again, I suffered corporal punishment during my mandatory year in the military, so it was pretty easy to read those passages at face value... I still wish I'd kicked my rear end in a top hat officer into a river, consequences be damned.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Dec 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burns
May 10, 2008

Wait so what exactly was the Eye of the World?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Burns posted:

The friends we abandoned along the way.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Burns posted:

Literally nothing like the book

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Burns posted:

Seemed to be the place the dark one was imprisoned.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://www.pastemagazine.com/tv/the-wheel-of-time/wheel-of-time-finale-dungeons-and-dragons-campaign/

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Jose Valasquez posted:

Seemed to be the place the dark one was imprisoned.

That was definitely the impression I got watching the show.

In other news, I restarted the book series in the middle of the season. It’s been great getting more detail on the world, spending more time in the characters’ heads, and seeing the fully-realized world again. If you have access to the series at your library or (digital) bookstore, I recommend it. Plus, then you get to join us book readers in this thread complaining—without using spoilers—about all the changes Rafe made to the source material.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Dec 29, 2021

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Oh my god this is hilarious.

article posted:

As a “Forever DM,” one of the chosen few who (sadly) know all the rules to D&D and therefore always have to run the game for everybody, it’s impossible not to see some classic rookie behavior in WoT’s core group of four heroes. Obviously it is not a big deal to just let Rand start with a katana if he wants one (we’ll just use longsword stats). Perrin wants to have his backstory be that he killed his wife?? Uh, okay man!

article posted:

Not long after this, Nynaeve (Zoë Robins) decides to join the game after all, having heard how much fun everybody was having, and immediately wants to know if Lan is a romanceable NPC. When Perrin and Egwene are abducted by the vicious Child Valda and his anti-mage zealots, you can almost hear the DM whispering to the players: “You have spells!! You have animal companions!! Guys!!!” (Both, finally, are used, after some appropriate character development.)

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Burns posted:

With the way the blighted trees looked like, I was sure we were going to get an eagle eye view of the whole thing and it would have looked like an actual eye - with the round hole at centre as the pupil and the vegetation being the iris muscle tissue.

Edit: something like this but with a super contracted pupil.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Dec 29, 2021

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Luv too dig a small hole in the ground and refer to it as though it’s a major geological feature

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Donnerberg posted:

Season 1 gets a little horny near the end.

Good. :colbert:

I realize my previous post was vague: I want the show to be horny like the books. And this better not just be "a couple of people are naked sometimes."

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

surf rock posted:

I realize my previous post was vague: I want the show to be horny like the books. And this better not just be "a couple of people are naked sometimes."

I'll consider this show a failure if someone doesn't hang dong next season.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Hughmoris posted:

I'll consider this show a failure if someone doesn't hang dong next season.

It's all on you Daniel Henney

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Daniel is 42. Have some pity for the man.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

TV IV › NO BOOK SPOILERS - The Wheel of Time TV Show Thread - I'll consider this show a failure if someone doesn't hang dong next season.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

surf rock posted:

There is a chapter later in the books I thought was clever that could be super horny but I doubt it will be in the show. Its a "torture" scene that was part of the first chapter of a book so it doesn't involve the main characters.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

St0rmD posted:

TV IV › NO BOOK SPOILERS - The Wheel of Time TV Show Thread - I'll consider this show a failure if someone doesn't hang dong next season.

What if their dong isn't hanging? :nws:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Things can be objectively bad and still be enjoyable and fun to watch. There's a bunch of dumb decisions made in this show but it's fantasy and it's based on books I like and it has magic and monsters and prophecies and all the good poo poo.

And like it's not BAD, it's just flawed.

Oh I'm largely fine with the show too, I liked the first 4 or 5 episodes without really any complaints. The last few were just... man, quite disappointing.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Wasnt the eye some kind of mana pool or something??

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

That Italian Guy posted:

The reviews are a bit all over the place. The average is quite high (82% right now) but the "Top Critics" score is only 54%.

The 82% seems way too high. Feels like a lot of the early reviews liked the idea of the show more than the actual show. A theme among TV reviewers. Reminds me of when season 8 of GoT got great reviews upon release and then fell off a cliff as the public dissected it.

This feels like a show that should be around 50%. It's fine and I don't regret watching it, but there are a ton of flaws in it and some behind-the-scenes issues that should be rectified.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Niwrad posted:

The 82% seems way too high. Feels like a lot of the early reviews liked the idea of the show more than the actual show. A theme among TV reviewers. Reminds me of when season 8 of GoT got great reviews upon release and then fell off a cliff as the public dissected it.

This feels like a show that should be around 50%. It's fine and I don't regret watching it, but there are a ton of flaws in it and some behind-the-scenes issues that should be rectified.

Agreed

I will say that they absolutely nailed the casting and look for Loial

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
the bdsm stuff def gets worse as the books progress, hopefully the show can avoid it entirely :tipshat:

like here's a representative sample from book 9 (no plot spoilers):
Cold dulled her thoughts, though. She began losing the thread, having to shake her head and start over. Rolan’s growls at her to be still helped, a voice to focus on, to keep her awake. Even the accompanying slaps on her upturned bottom helped, as much as she hated to admit the fact, each one a shock that jolted her to wakefulness. After a while, she began shifting more, then struggling almost to the point of falling, courting the rude smacks. Anything to stay awake. She could not have said how much time passed, but her twists and wriggles began to weaken, until Rolan no longer growled, much less gave her a slap. Light, she wanted the man to play her like a drum!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

exmarx posted:

the bdsm stuff def gets worse as the books progress, hopefully the show can avoid it entirely :tipshat:

like here's a representative sample from book 9 (no plot spoilers):
Cold dulled her thoughts, though. She began losing the thread, having to shake her head and start over. Rolan’s growls at her to be still helped, a voice to focus on, to keep her awake. Even the accompanying slaps on her upturned bottom helped, as much as she hated to admit the fact, each one a shock that jolted her to wakefulness. After a while, she began shifting more, then struggling almost to the point of falling, courting the rude smacks. Anything to stay awake. She could not have said how much time passed, but her twists and wriggles began to weaken, until Rolan no longer growled, much less gave her a slap. Light, she wanted the man to play her like a drum!

Honestly, I'd love to see it in the show. Spice it up, Rafe you coward.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What was the point in doing a calvary charge up to an empty built

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Your Gay Uncle posted:

First ones there get to choose the best windows to get stabbed through.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Your Gay Uncle posted:

That was the one thing that really got to me and where I went "This is legit stupid". The whole setup of the wall in the Gap and the cavalry...

It's just really dumb when compared to Fal Dara itself which has actual bastions for covering fire.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Now that the whole season is out, it really feels like this could have been much better as a 10-12 episodes series.

Thinking back to how the runtime was allocated is also quite weird. The AS bond episode with Stepin has the same amount of time dedicated to it than the whole White Tower politics + Moiraine and Siuan story. The love quarrel(s) part is as long as the Travelers+Perrin and the Whitecloak capture and escape sequence together. The giant battle outside the borderlands city lasts as long as the fight between Rand's mom and the soldiers. Imagine if in lotr Helm's Deep lasted as much as the fight between Aragorn and the Uruk Hai leader on top of Boromir's body.

Out of curiosity, I've checked a few "successful" series on other platforms to see if 10-12 55-60min long episodes would be unfeasible. The wire has 10-13 episodes per season; GoT S1-6 has 10 episodes per season; but even streaming series like the Netflix Marvel ones and The Expanse (pre Amazon) have 13 EPs/s (and even post Amazon it's 10 EPs/s).

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Dec 30, 2021

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
The Netflix Marvel ones are all uniformly worse for having 13 episodes though. All of them would be massively improved by having some of their C and B plots trimmed.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

That Italian Guy posted:

Now that the whole season is out, it really feels like this could have been much better as a 10-12 episodes series.

Thinking back to how the runtime was allocated is also quite weird. The AS bond episode with Stepin has the same amount of time dedicated to it than the whole White Tower politics + Moiraine and Siuan story. The love quarrel(s) part is as long as the Travelers+Perrin and the Whitecloak capture and escape sequence together. The giant battle outside the borderlands city lasts as long as the fight between Rand's mom and the soldiers. Imagine if in lotr Helm's Deep lasted as much as the fight between Aragorn and the Uruk Hai leader on top of Boromir's body.

Out of curiosity, I've checked a few "successful" series on other platforms to see if 10-12 55-60min long episodes would be unfeasible. The wire has 10-13 episodes per season; GoT S1-6 has 10 episodes per season; but even streaming series like the Netflix Marvel ones and The Expanse (pre Amazon) have 13 EPs/s (and even post Amazon it's 10 EPs/s).

8 episodes is legit awful for this kind of show and I have yet to see a series benefit from it, but it's what the algorithm has told Bezos is best so that's what we get.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Torquemada posted:

The Netflix Marvel ones are all uniformly worse for having 13 episodes though. All of them would be massively improved by having some of their C and B plots trimmed.
Yeah I agree that they should probably be around 10 episodes since they tend to drag.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I thought the Tinker stuff was really well done too... it's frustrating how some things they just nailed perfectly and other things (the opening to episode 8, lol) missed so bad

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

As a non book reader, the political world of WoT seems confusing in the show. I get that the aes sedai are independent like the vatican or whatever. And that kings obviously exist since that Logain fanboy guy was one (rip). But like are all the other kingdoms just letting Logains army, the KKK and trollocs just wander around their lands?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Yeah, the condensed nature of everything makes it seem more like an extended trailer for the books than its own thing.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

As a non book reader, the political world of WoT seems confusing in the show. I get that the aes sedai are independent like the vatican or whatever. And that kings obviously exist since that Logain fanboy guy was one (rip). But like are all the other kingdoms just letting Logains army, the KKK and trollocs just wander around their lands?

The show has made it clear that the Trollocs got to the Two Rivers using the Ways, and are otherwise never seen past the Borderlands - they'renot just "wandering" around. Logan's army has crushed at least one kingdom and was defeated by Liandrin's group abducting Logain in the middle of the night - nobody is letting them do anything, they're doing it by force.

The Whitecloaks are not explained on-screen at this time, other than that they believe they have the right to go wherever they want, and that they have some amount of military force.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Torquemada posted:

Wheel of Time has the opposite problem, because there is a lot of world-building the show doesn't have time to cover and because the main cast is huge, and, after the first book or two tends to fracture into several small groups that follow their own plots for long stretches at a time. I hadn't really considered it until I read that post-season statement from Rafe about season two that [Vague indications of intent re: characters in season 2] they had to work out how to include Moiraine in season two, because she has a very small part in the second book and Rosamund Pike is too big a name to just leave lying around like that, but the books are very much an ensemble cast/story, and while some of the cast have more focus than others, every character disappears for long stretches at a time at least occasionally, to focus on others. Which the show doesn't really seem comfortable with, not even for a couple of episodes, given that the show is already re-arranging things to condense books so that the book to season ratio isn't 1:1.

The fact that Rafe and/or Amazon [Vague indications of intent re: characters in season 2] are unwilling to let Pike be out of the show for a while means they're not really trying to keep that aspect of the books, at least for now while other actors/characters establish themselves in the public consciousness, and it's something that could very easily be detrimental to the story, because they're not using the established books as a map anymore. Which is where a lot of people started taking issue with Game of Thrones from what I gather (not having seen the show). Some of the best content in season one wasn't part of the books though, so who knows, maybe it'll work out? Those tended to be small scenes though, rather than entire plotlines. We'll have to wait and see, I guess.

tsob fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Dec 30, 2021

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Yeah, the condensed nature of everything makes it seem more like an extended trailer for the books than its own thing.

OTOH it's basically the first book and that's kinda what the first book *is*. Compared to the total work, what we just saw was just the introduction. One fifteenth is eight minutes out of a two hour movie.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Just sent you a PM with some book background on all of this.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

OTOH it's basically the first book and that's kinda what the first book *is*. Compared to the total work, what we just saw was just the introduction. One fifteenth is eight minutes out of a two hour movie.

I'm halfway through rereading tEotW right now and it's crazy how much foundational stuff has been hacked out. Not just, like, neat scenes or padding, but huge chunks of contextual information. Answers for all of DeadFatDuckFat's questions. All the background for why people in general and Nynaeve in particular are so mistrustful of Aes Sedai.

It's really hurting my faith in this team's ability to condense the books the way they have to. I really do not want to have to do the show's work for it, filling in this background. I wish with my whole heart to never again feel the need to type a sentence that begins "In the books,".

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I really do not want to have to do the show's work for it, filling in this background.

Then don't.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Just sent you a PM with some book background on all of this.

I'm halfway through rereading tEotW right now and it's crazy how much foundational stuff has been hacked out. Not just, like, neat scenes or padding, but huge chunks of contextual information. Answers for all of DeadFatDuckFat's questions. All the background for why people in general and Nynaeve in particular are so mistrustful of Aes Sedai.

It's really hurting my faith in this team's ability to condense the books the way they have to. I really do not want to have to do the show's work for it, filling in this background. I wish with my whole heart to never again feel the need to type a sentence that begins "In the books,".

Several books in and it's no spoiler to say that the foundational setting stuff gets repeated again and again in every book and often in a multitude of separate character voices per book. In a 23 episode per season classic network show you'd expect that to translate directly to the screen, but even if future seasons get 10-12 episodes I expect most of it to come up more economically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

CainFortea posted:

Then don't.

He doesn’t and the show doesn’t ergo two negatives make a positive and the show is good I said GOOD DAY sir.