Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

So I’ve been using the iPhone 13 Pro Max since launch and I’ve never been able to get used to the weight especially holding it one handed. I don’t remember this being an issue with the 12 but the extra weight really seems to bother me. Recently I’ve been debating swapping to the smaller 13 pro and today I’ve grabbed it. So far it feels much more comfortable to hold although the weight difference is less than I expected. The only other concern is getting used to the smaller display and any battery life differences but so far I’m pretty happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Every time I pick up my wife's 13 pro I'm surprised at the weight. Not sure how anyone enjoys lugging that brick around.

But a lot of people do so more power to 'em.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

xzzy posted:

Every time I pick up my wife's 13 pro I'm surprised at the weight. Not sure how anyone enjoys lugging that brick around.

But a lot of people do so more power to 'em.

I personally have not found it objectionable in any way. Love the 13P. That being said, a touch more grams and I will start finding it objectionable, so I know what you mean. It's not super light.

Dat dense battery rear end

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

xzzy posted:

battery lyfe, yo

quote:

more power to 'em.

Exactly

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

My wife keeps her phone in a battery case 100% of the time. Probably double normal weight. But it’s not like she is carrying it in her pocket like I am.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Mini supremacy

it’s like holding a small stack of credit cards

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I adjusted to the weight of the Pro pretty quickly, it's only jarring if you go back and forth between a lighter phone and the Pro IMO

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

jokes posted:

Mini supremacy

it’s like holding a small stack of credit cards

Loving the mini. This is the perfect form factor for me. The bigger screen would be nice for the rare video viewing session but I’ll just break out the iPad at home for that.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Loved having the 12 mini but once they did the Promotion with the Pros I had to go up.

Give me a Mini pro.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Honestly i dont even care about the other pro features just give us the pro camera on the mini. Make the entire back the camera bump, whatever. Small screen, huge camera.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Iphone 12 mini just stopped responding at all to the touchscreen.

It was working fine this morning and always has, but I just tried swiping to unlock and it's not responding.

The side buttons work so I tried a force restart but it's still not working.

Any ideas? I don't have a screen protector on it and the glass isn't cracked anywhere.

edit: I can't unlock my phone so even if I can access itunes on my laptop, it doesn't do any good because the phone wont connect to itunes without being unlocked first.

The only thing I've figured out is using my iPad to add my wife's number so I can login to itunes that way. The only thing I can think is to schedule a trip to the fruit stand.

edit2: got a hold of apple support chat and I was able to restore my phone thru itunes. It's restoring now so hopefully that fixes it.

edit3: That didn't work. Now it just says 'swipe up to recover' and I can't do that. Off to the fruit stand I go.

nwin fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Dec 25, 2021

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Is it doing that after you restored it and it was sitting at the new phone setup screen?

There still may be hope for it. You’ll have to look it up, but try to get it into DFU mode and do a firmware restore that way.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Jose Oquendo posted:

Is it doing that after you restored it and it was sitting at the new phone setup screen?

There still may be hope for it. You’ll have to look it up, but try to get it into DFU mode and do a firmware restore that way.

Yep, still doing it. I'll have to look into DFU mode.

edit: no luck. It just reboots and says swipe to recover.

Curious wtf happened. I was using it in bed this morning without any issues and I haven't had issues with this phone over the year+ I've had it. All of a sudden I just couldn't swipe anymore and I didn't drop it in between uses.

No applecare for me so OH BOY!

nwin fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 25, 2021

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

nwin posted:

Yep, still doing it. I'll have to look into DFU mode.

edit: no luck. It just reboots and says swipe to recover.

Curious wtf happened. I was using it in bed this morning without any issues and I haven't had issues with this phone over the year+ I've had it. All of a sudden I just couldn't swipe anymore and I didn't drop it in between uses.

No applecare for me so OH BOY!

Apparently I need a new screen. Apple gods decided to say gently caress you for not buying AppleCare and wouldn’t fix it free out of warranty. Oh well.

Surprised because there’s only been a scratch on there for a few months but it hasn’t affected anything.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Good reminder to, if in the US, buy phones with a credit card that has extended warranty protection and (if postpaid) pay your monthly service bill with a card that has cell phone insurance.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

astral posted:

Good reminder to, if in the US, buy phones with a credit card that has extended warranty protection and (if postpaid) pay your monthly service bill with a card that has cell phone insurance.

Yeah my card says:

Extended Warranty Protection
Your Amazon Rewards Visa Signature Card extends the time period for the U.S. manufacturer’s warranty by an additional year, on eligible warranties of three years or less.³

So maybe I can get reimbursed.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

astral posted:

Potential issue with extended warranty via credit card: if you don’t buy it full retail up front they don’t always cover the full amount. And most people in the US finance their phone.

Mileage def varies, this is just something I personally ran into a few years ago, so basically read your T&Cs.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Duckman2008 posted:

Potential issue with extended warranty via credit card: if you don’t buy it full retail up front they don’t always cover the full amount. And most people in the US finance their phone.

Mileage def varies, this is just something I personally ran into a few years ago, so basically read your T&Cs.

Yep-this. My T&C says it must be paid in full for a claim to be processed.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

astral posted:

and (if postpaid) pay your monthly service bill with a card that has cell phone insurance.

Also potential issue with this - for Verizon at least, if you pay your cell phone bill with a credit card, you forfeit a $10/month/line discount. So your "free" cell phone insurance is actually costing you $10/month if you only have one line. Don't know if the other carriers have the same limitation.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

So my usual "wait what day is it?" Fever dream between Christmas and New Year's Eve was exacerbated by my phones calendar widget not updating the date for two whole days. Had to open the calendar to get it to correct.

Luckily the phones actual date and time seemed to be ok as my alarm and scheduled alerts went off but still. Wtf.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OldSenileGuy posted:

Also potential issue with this - for Verizon at least, if you pay your cell phone bill with a credit card, you forfeit a $10/month/line discount. So your "free" cell phone insurance is actually costing you $10/month if you only have one line. Don't know if the other carriers have the same limitation.

Postpaid Verizon, ATT and T-Mobile all do this yes.

And yeah, that’s $10 per line of service. If someone has 7 lines, that’s literally a $70 a month difference.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I just got an iPhone 13 after a decade of androids. When I'm listening to Spotify on headphones, I get notification sounds over the music, even with silent mode on. On Android, silent mode mutes notification sounds. Is there a way to replicate this behavior on iOS?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
With focus modes I think you probably could. You can mark which apps/contacts can send you notifications in a specific focus mode. May not be granular enough and you’d have to turn it on manually I think.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

And yeah, that’s $10 per line of service. If someone has 7 lines, that’s literally a $70 a month difference.

They’re highlighting the debit vs. credit requirement to get the discount, which last I heard was a peculiarity of Verizon only.

edit: We already had this conversation.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I pay with CC on ATT and there’s no $10/line charge. That would be absurd.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Toebone posted:

I just got an iPhone 13 after a decade of androids. When I'm listening to Spotify on headphones, I get notification sounds over the music, even with silent mode on. On Android, silent mode mutes notification sounds. Is there a way to replicate this behavior on iOS?

My phone lives on silent mode and I never get notifications over my other audio, I just went digging through my settings and I can’t find anything at all that would control this behaviour.

I haven’t set up anything special to make it like that, it just always has been :confused:

The only thing that interrupts playback is an incoming call.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

Duckman2008 posted:

I pay my t-mobile with credit card. I have autopay enabled and still get the discount.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Toebone posted:

This doesnt happen for me on a 12 or any phone I have had. my phone lives in silent mode from the moment I take it out of the box too.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ah yeah, I think the ATT discount is if you have auto pay on, not if it’s CC.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I pay with CC on ATT and there’s no $10/line charge. That would be absurd.

They’re US phone carriers. Lol.

serebralassazin posted:

I pay my t-mobile with credit card. I have autopay enabled and still get the discount.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Ah yeah, I think the ATT discount is if you have auto pay on, not if it’s CC.

Interesting. No lie , I kind of assumed ATT and T-Mobile did the same thing. Well, all I can tell you is Verizon you def have to do debit card for autopay , a credit card won’t get the discount.

And yes, it’s probably the policy I dislike the most.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I can’t be 100% sure, but I believe there was a time (3-4 years ago?) when I had autopay with a credit card with Verizon and was still getting the discount. I may have been grandfathered in? But nevertheless, I’ve since left Verizon and come back to them, and now the discount is only with debit or Verizon Visa. Which is why I sprung for AppleCare. And of course, they don’t describe it as an extra charge for paying with a CC. It’s just a discount you’re missing out on. 🙄

Totally unrelated question - I recently had a long road trip, and wanted to try out an audiobook for the first time. But I kept getting annoyed at Siri GPS for talking over the audiobook. Is there a way to change her behavior so that instead of giving directions over what’s playing, it pauses what’s playing while she gives directions and then plays it after the directions are over?

I wasn’t using an iTunes-bought audiobook with apple’s official “Books” app - does it already do this if I use that app?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

OldSenileGuy posted:

I can’t be 100% sure, but I believe there was a time (3-4 years ago?) when I had autopay with a credit card with Verizon and was still getting the discount. I may have been grandfathered in? But nevertheless, I’ve since left Verizon and come back to them, and now the discount is only with debit or Verizon Visa. Which is why I sprung for AppleCare. And of course, they don’t describe it as an extra charge for paying with a CC. It’s just a discount you’re missing out on. 🙄

Totally unrelated question - I recently had a long road trip, and wanted to try out an audiobook for the first time. But I kept getting annoyed at Siri GPS for talking over the audiobook. Is there a way to change her behavior so that instead of giving directions over what’s playing, it pauses what’s playing while she gives directions and then plays it after the directions are over?

I wasn’t using an iTunes-bought audiobook with apple’s official “Books” app - does it already do this if I use that app?

Settings > Maps > Spoken Directions

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Toebone posted:

In case anyone was curious, it ended up being notifications from the headphones themselves (I also got new headphones)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Just upgraded from an X to a 13 Pro and who the gently caress decided it is acceptable to have such a gigantic camera wart that even the APPLE BRANDED CASE has a ridge and doesn’t make the drat thing lie flat??

The wart has TWO ELEVATIONS like the god drat grand staircase

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Data Graham posted:

Just upgraded from an X to a 13 Pro and who the gently caress decided it is acceptable to have such a gigantic camera wart that even the APPLE BRANDED CASE has a ridge and doesn’t make the drat thing lie flat??

The wart has TWO ELEVATIONS like the god drat grand staircase

I have an Apple case and my 13 pro lies flat. Do you live in a Batman villain hideout?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Jose Oquendo posted:

I have an Apple case and my 13 pro lies flat. Do you live in a Batman villain hideout?

This is what I'm contending with

That's an Apple logo in the middle, it's the "iPhone 13 Pro Leather Case"

Is there another kind that they make that lets you type on it without it flopping around like a dead fish?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Data Graham posted:

This is what I'm contending with

That's an Apple logo in the middle, it's the "iPhone 13 Pro Leather Case"

Is there another kind that they make that lets you type on it without it flopping around like a dead fish?

I have one of the silicon cases because I wanted something with color and it lies flat. I had no idea the leather ones were not like that.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I have the 13 Pro with the Apple Leather case as you do. Yes, if you use the phone flat on a table it will flop like a fish. Personally, this does not bother me because that specific use case is a tiny minority of the ways I use the phone. However I can definitely see why it would be annoying if I typed like that more often. Only way to prevent it with the phone is to get a thiccc silicone case that matches the thickness of that plastic piece, so it's flat all the way around.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Well good, I didn’t realize such a thing existed (someone got me this case as a gift). Time to be That Guy I guess

E: I type like that all the time, plus the wart makes it not auto-center on my charging pad anymore so it doesn’t work half the time

Cool that they’re selling the camera and all its warty features as 80% of the differentiation of the model but I literally would be fine with the camera the iPhone 1 had

E2: The Apple silicone cases look like they have the ridge too. What the gently caress

I don’t care how thick it is I just want it to not suck to type on

E3: why does nothing list “flat back” as a selling feature

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
the official iphone 13 mini silicone case has the same problem, it's loving stupid and i wish i hadn't dropped $40 on this just because it came in a nice color but also i'm not even sure which 3rd party cases solve this