Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i was reading the nostrils as eyes and the gum as a nose for way too long

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

kidcoelacanth posted:

i was reading the nostrils as eyes and the gum as a nose for way too long

It's honestly a better design that way

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Hostile V posted:

Realtalk if Mary Worth has a loving cruise ship nightmare scenario (doesn't have to be COVID) storyline I'm back in this annoying, meandering, saccharine strip's corner.

Poseidon Adventure 2: Norovirus Powerpuke

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Julet Esqu posted:

"Don't worry, Rex. We won't let anything interesting happen to you."

Last time we saw Rene, he was selling fake COVID cures. For a plot that moves as glacially as Rex Morgan MD, Rene was arrested and shepherded safely off-strip again in under a week.

WHAT DOES LUANN THINK TEACHING IS

She does not want to be a teacher. She wants to be a babysitter. Maybe she should look into what it takes to be a professional nanny.

Is that supposed to be the British Dennis the Menace?

The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

One of my favorites.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

riderchop posted:

Heathcliff

Meanwhile, in Kevin and Kell the punchline would be "we murdered thousands of sapient fleas without a thought to a ethical or moral solution at all. Huzzah!"

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Wasn't there also a Mary Worth cruise ship story where a woman's fiance kissed some other woman and one of them almost died falling overboard. Two for two on exciting cruise ship storylines from the Worth team, at least.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

ChaCha Chako

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Congrats on totally bungling the joke, Paws Inc. ghostwriter.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (April 16-17, 1934)

Peanuts (December 26-27, 1974)

Harry Dinkle, The God Of Public School Music Directors

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (July 28-29, 1938)

Out Our Way, featuring the hit character of 1937. "Hit" as in "preferably with a blunt instrument". (December 13-15, 1937)

Toonerville Folks (June 27-29, 1918)

(Get A Piece of The) Dok's Duck (November 26, 1913)

Little Lefty (October 28-30, 1935)

It's a little late and a half, so Blondie will be ready next time.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Dec 29, 2021

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "468 - Jucika, The Eternal Curious"

"469 - Jucika Can't Get A Taxi"

Impossibly stylish.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Dec. 26, 1948)

I can't help reading the text for next week's strip as a scream of terror.

In today's Blueberry: Pokemontheme.mp3, or I like to think that Charlier had only ever heard the NAME of quicksand, and so this is what he thought it meant. Certainly makes more sense then actual quicksand in the desert!, or Indiana Jones looks on Luckner and Blount with sympathy

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Elsewhere: Hey, it IS still the 70s.

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

90s Overboard

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way, featuring the hit character of 1937. "Hit" as in "preferably with a blunt instrument". (December 13-15, 1937)

what's gonna happen in 30 years here, he's gonna get swole?

Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

riderchop posted:

BUT NOW - WOW all men will be scrawny effeminate city slickers that eat like birds.

(I'm being unfair here, Williams is rather a lot more charitable than Beeman et al.)

Vater und Sohn: You have to be a problem solver (24/1936)

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

Well, isn't it convenient that you cracked the secret of immortality and showed it to us a week or so ago.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

This one's brilliant.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

And Hilary gets someone whizzing out the back of the Trojan horse onto the comics page.

Get Fuzzy 12/28/01

Brenda Starr 11/16/47

Smokey Stover 4/22/45

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom (double LOA edition)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

you'd be treated somehow even worse if you did that job, coop

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jan. 02, 1949)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

riderchop posted:

More like low body fat hadn't been invented yet, except for the poors. But eating steak for breakfast will do that to you.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

You know what I kind of liked doing at the beginning of this year, but rushed too much? Writing all those pithy reviews. So I'm gonna try doing it again now, until I get tired of it anyway.

Modern Nancy uses this gag a lot. And I think the reason it rankles the thread so much is because its so minimalist on the visuals you could just use clip art for it. Whereas any Modern Nancy that uses any kind of visual sight gag at all is always received much better, because Olivia Jaimes isn't bad at comics, the overly wordy stuff just makes her seem lazy.

quote:

Dustin

You know, nothing I could write will top the Dustin Wikipedia page. Yes, it still hasn't been changed after all these years..

quote:

Mandrake

I have completely lost track of what's going on in Modern Mandrake, which is funny because I can remember offhand pretty quickly that Classic Mandrake is about a convoluted jewel heist involving mummy impersonation and that Mandrake is currently trolling a dude with lots of tattoos by making the tattoos move.

Modern Garfield isn't bad. It's not great. But it's not as awful as you'd expect a zombie strip to be.

quote:

Heathcliff

Briefly surreal but not terribly memorable to be entirely honest.

quote:

Overboard

Surreal in a fairly memorable way is why I like this comic more than I probably should.

quote:

Monty

I like Monty. His pathetic bachelor lifestyle is something I can relate to.

quote:

For Better or For Worse

I read somewhere that teenagers these days don't actually drive anymore. Part of this is COVID keeping them from driving anywhere, but also everything being online has reduced the need for it. So being able to drive isn't the rite of passage it used to be. I bring this up, not to critique this individual comic, but to emphasize how despite pretending to be a modern comic strip nearly every single For Better or For Worse has some really subtle cultural element that doesn't at all track to life as how we know it today.

quote:

Compu-toon

Compu-toon is almost the exact same kind of novelty as Heathcliff, come to think of it, just not intentionally and with a very different topic.

quote:

On The Fastrack

All of the metaphors in this comic are very disturbing. I mean sure, that's true for any Holbrook cartoon, but this is the only one that purports to take place in something approximating the real world and depicting characters like you and me.

quote:

Safe Havens

Currently on Safe Havens, a mouse and a bird (?) have been turned into humans, have had a human baby, and now apparently that baby is talking much faster than she should. That's it. That's the comment. Any given day the Safe Havens storyline is based on premises equally bizarre.

quote:

I find this comic about as tiresome as Modern Nancy any time it's not using the deliberately nonsensically convoluted puns.

The Far Side is great! I'm glad Gary Larson decided the Internet doesn't have cooties.

quote:

Pickles

Pickles depicts the kind of old person I want to be some day.

quote:

Zits

This Zits is kind of unrepresentative. In general I find it to be surprisingly prescient about the modern generation gap.

edit: damnable quote tags!

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 29, 2021

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Funny you posted that Nancy observation before today's strip which is a decent gag but really leaning into "can't be hosed to draw" territory. I can forgive minimalist art even if Modern Nancy is erring on the side of B^U levels of copy paste. What really sucks about it is that it has been beating the same joke to death for about two years now in 90% of the strips.

It introduced a bunch of nearly identical and terrible redundant characters who are vehicles for the same identical cynical wordplay gags making them all seem like the same boring jaded character. Here's Angry Girl, Nancy's other best friend, who is angry and bitter and jaded and cynical. Here's Boy Nancy Wronged, he likes movies and is sarcastic and bitter and jaded and cynical. The Artistic Twins almost seem like they're not the same character because they have personalities beyond being bitter but they're just there to insure we get the anxious and self-doubting wordplay jokes in if for some reason Nancy's Aunt can't give us enough anxious adult jokes for the week. Nancy's a ridiculously egotistical little poo poo and Sluggo is an almost completely empty straight man for these terrible wordplay jokes, practically a stranger in the strip.

But we got Sluggo Is Lit(and nothing remotely close to it since) and Nancy Is A Vampire jokes twice a year so woooooahhhhh what a daring and innovative take on an old classic IP. Seriously a 2/5 strip, at least its better than actively hateful trash like Dustin but Modern Nancy has managed to be worse at joke recycling than Modern Garfield and did it without 30 years of warm up. I know a lot of strips have recurring gags but they need to be good gags or good twists or at least air things out between reposts(Modern Heathcliff) and I'm posting Jucika which is 500+ strips of drat WOMEN ARE HOT jokes but 400+ of them are excellent.

Maybe :words: reviews of strips would be fun for the end of the year.

Jucika "470 - Jucika Buys A Present"

Jucika's Husband nooooooooooo

"471 - Jucika And Gambling"

:haw:

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
To be fair, Jucika is routinely hotter than nu-Nancy ever was funny.

e: funnier, too.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Dec 29, 2021

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zofie's World

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Giant Ethicist posted:

Uramachi Sakaba

Greetings, fellow translator goon :) This is my favorite weird genre itch in the thread, a near post-apocalyptic environment that's just normal folks hanging out at a bar. No gratuitous sci-fi. Great stuff.

quote:

ChaCha Chako

This made so much more sense when you finally explained the story takes place in a pastiche world based on a children's cartoon with anthropomorphic food and animals. Strangely, this information neither improved the comic nor made it worse. It's still equally great.

Extremely inoffensive. Not unpleasant by any means, but it's easy to see why Mutts hasn't been in the thread for years.

quote:

Sally Forth

I find the soap opera aspects of this comic more compelling than the actual soap strips, and the humor aspects less compelling than the actual comedy strips.

quote:

Pearls Before Swine

I used to really dislike Pearls Before Swine because of its sheer smugness, but I find the pandemic has had a very effective humbling impact on Pastis that gives the strip a much more grounded perspective in regards to the uselessness of superiority complexes and how it fuels depression. Also it has better jokes now.

quote:

Skippy (April 16-17, 1934)

It's a weird analogy to make, but I can't help but sea Skippy as being a kind of proto-Peanuts in that the characters, being slightly older, are also much better at being straightforwardly aggressive. Yet at the same time, there's a big generation gap at play because it feels like post World War II kids were expected to have better manners.

quote:

Peanuts (December 26-27, 1974)

Like, see here, the whole idea of writing letters to thank people seems wholly alien to Skippy. Or even something like Out Our Way, which has more polite kids in general.

quote:

Harry Dinkle, The God Of Public School Music Directors

Funky Winkerbean has the bad habit of making me hate the jobs of the characters it depicts despite the fact that I know full well Batiuk does absolutely no research about anything, and certainly not the professional work he dedicates entire plotlines to.

quote:

Crankshaft

I find the smugness of Crankshaft to be every bit as infuriating as Funky Winkerbean these days because it seems like every other strip relies on understanding some arcane internal or external reference that Batiuk doesn't even attempt to explain.

quote:

Mutt and Jeff

I like this comic a lot and am glad you added it to your lineup. I'm assuming these are all older ones? I'm surprised at how easy they read, since it seems like most classic comics have a nearly inscrutable setup structure.

quote:

Rip Haywire

Rip Haywire is like a case study in how constant plot twists in the context of a daily strip just make the whole thing drat near unreadable.

quote:

Thimble Theater (July 28-29, 1938)

It is incredibly weird just how modern and experimental this strip feels given that Popeye is synonymous with cliched damsel in distress cartoons for children.

quote:

This is a better puzzle strip than Encyclopedia Brown as I'm always left wondering, what is this reference supposed to mean? Was life eighty years ago really that different?

quote:

Toonerville Folks (June 27-29, 1918)

Yet Toonerville Folks is always really straightforward, despite taking place further in the past in a more rural community less similar to the ones we live in today.

quote:

(Get A Piece of The) Dok's Duck (November 26, 1913)

I've been wondering whether this duck who's kind of a dick was at least a partial influence on Donald Duck and Daffy Duck.

quote:

Little Lefty (October 28-30, 1935)

Here again. More straightforwardly aggressive children. But they're also Communists.

quote:

It's a little late and a half, so Blondie will be ready next time.

I can see why Blondie had to completely reinvent itself as a domestic strip from your posts. What looked promising at first has become increasingly tired and gimmicky, and I can only imagine how insulting this kind of high society drama must have felt to people during the Great Depression.

Doomykins posted:

Jucika "468 - Jucika, The Eternal Curious"

"469 - Jucika Can't Get A Taxi"

Impossibly stylish.

This nails it actually. Jucika is impossibly stylish.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Mark Trail is good when Jules is just using the strip for thinly-veiled attacks at stuff that she's mad about in real life.

Yes, I am aware of the irony of this statement, especially coming from me.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Samovar posted:

I can't help reading the text for next week's strip as a scream of terror.

In today's Blueberry: Pokemontheme.mp3, or I like to think that Charlier had only ever heard the NAME of quicksand, and so this is what he thought it meant. Certainly makes more sense then actual quicksand in the desert!, or Indiana Jones looks on Luckner and Blount with sympathy

Greetings, fellow translator goon :) You do great work. Blueberry is a cool as hell Western adventure strip, and I'm honestly surprised we don't have more of those in American newspaper comic form. The genre was certainly popular enough. I also wouldn't worry too much about racisms or cultural insensitivity if I were you. The story's been quite consistent in portraying the Indians as reasonable people with reasonable motives, which is what really matters.

---

Ehhh gonna cut this short here. Thoughtful summations for literally every strip in the thread are quite tiring! Would much appreciate if someone else would take up some of the slack.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
why did mary put the dog on a table

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I know there’s going to be some sort of good message here but I can’t help but think if you have a surplus of good water splooshing around wastefuly onto the ground and you are basically flaunting it to your neighbors maybe they have a reason to be jealous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!

Doomykins posted:

"471 - Jucika And Gambling"

:haw:

drat that's a fine piglet.