Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I like to imagine that shade is Persephone's dad.

E: oh no a snipe

moths fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Dec 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

BisbyWorl posted:

You ever gently caress around with your buddy so much that you accidentally cause your own nigh-complete removal from mythology?
The song for me came right after Zagreus admitted it was a prank so it could be a sneak gently caress you from Orpheus.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

snoremac posted:

So who else has to go up to their friendly shade after the Elysium fight every time?

Every time, and in those rare cases that Zagreus has nothing to say to our friendly shade, I'm sad.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Torrannor posted:

Every time, and in those rare cases that Zagreus has nothing to say to our friendly shade, I'm sad.

If you get within range while he’s busy saying something else it won’t trigger, but if you move away and then back it’ll happen. I don’t think I’ve ever had him not say something at all.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Red Oktober posted:

The bit in your spoiler is a rite of passage. So many mentions (including mine) throughout this thread.
Wasn't really surprising for me. When I think of videogame end boss behavior, that one is fairly common. Would have honestly been disappointed if they did it differently.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
I got this game on saturday and already have 15 hours in it! I just got my first win last night with the bow and that felt incredibly cathartic. I previously lost at the final boss w/ the rail and the spear. I wonder how much is due to skill improvement versus Zag becoming more and more buff between runs.

Out of curiosity, how much more game is there? It seems like there's still more story to go, and the I just unlocked the heat mechanic.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔

IAmThatIs posted:

I got this game on saturday and already have 15 hours in it! I just got my first win last night with the bow and that felt incredibly cathartic. I previously lost at the final boss w/ the rail and the spear. I wonder how much is due to skill improvement versus Zag becoming more and more buff between runs.

Out of curiosity, how much more game is there? It seems like there's still more story to go, and the I just unlocked the heat mechanic.

There's a huge amount more. It's unreal how much writing went into this game. You still have to progress the main plot by having more conversations with Persephone, but even concluding that (you'll know) there's a ton more to the story. Every character to whom you can give nectar has an associated questline, some more elaborate than others. Achilles, Orpheus, and Nyx all have estranged relationships with whom they can reunite, and you can reconcile with Thanatos and Megaera.

There's even more to the story after the apparent end (there are end credits and everything). Each run is another chance to share nectar with and listen to each of the characters in the house, some for story reward and some for a gameplay reward. You know those six big spaces on the bottom of the keepsake selection screen? You'll get another item by completing the relationship story with 6 characters.

Spoiler for which characters will give those rewards:
Thanatos, Achilles, Megaera, Dusa, Skelly, and Sisyphus. Give them nectar, along with Eurydice, Patroclus, and Nyx, to progress their stories.

There are also hidden weapon aspects to unlock, put enough titan blood into a weapon and it unlocks an aspect with a whole new play style. The different aspects, and the different ways to raise your heat, lead to runs that feel totally different from each other. In other words, you're at the very beginning of the game.

There's finally nothing left to do after You have every cthonic companion, you've ended the endless winter on the surface, and you've beaten it on 32 heat. Of course, after all that, I started a hell mode game.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Dec 9, 2021

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

snoremac posted:

Oh my God (Dionysus spoilers):

Orpheus' song hahahaha

For anyone who doesn't know the fake legend Dionysus makes up for you to tell Orpheus is the real world myth of zagreus

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Just tried to Forced Overtime option for the Pact of Punishment...

...Yeah no gently caress that poo poo.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
It becomes SIGNIFICANTLY easier to meet it once you start consistently beating runs and get into a speed run mentality, to the point where it’s basically free heat in 95% of my runs.

The two main changes in my play style were always taking “free” rooms (Charon, Chaos, Sisyphus/Eurydice/Patroclus), knowing which boss fights to avoid or take, maxing out a trinket (and remembering to USE it), and of course not doing any unnecessary Satyr rooms.

Up to level 2 of the pact, if you clear out the first two biomes quickly, you should be golden. Level 3 is trickier.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

It becomes SIGNIFICANTLY easier to meet it once you start consistently beating runs and get into a speed run mentality, to the point where it’s basically free heat in 95% of my runs.

The two main changes in my play style were always taking “free” rooms (Charon, Chaos, Sisyphus/Eurydice/Patroclus), knowing which boss fights to avoid or take, maxing out a trinket (and remembering to USE it), and of course not doing any unnecessary Satyr rooms.

Up to level 2 of the pact, if you clear out the first two biomes quickly, you should be golden. Level 3 is trickier.

That's Tight Deadline, serefin is talking about the "enemies go fast" one.

serefin99 posted:

Just tried to Forced Overtime option for the Pact of Punishment...

...Yeah no gently caress that poo poo.

I'd say it's one of the better heat options, just gotta relearn all the timings.
But with that pact active, especially at forced overtime 2, reacting to what enemies do is a losing proposition. Gotta predict everything instead.

Oh, and the chariots run as fast as Zagreus dashes at FO2, better have a good gameplan for them.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Omobono posted:

That's Tight Deadline, serefin is talking about the "enemies go fast" one.

:doh:

Yeah, that one's a bitch.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

I swear, some duo boons are programmed to show up more or less often. Every time I've tried to go for Hunting Blades, it either never shows up or doesn't show up until Styx. Conversely, I can consistently get Crystal Clarity in Asphodel.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

serefin99 posted:

I swear, some duo boons are programmed to show up more or less often. Every time I've tried to go for Hunting Blades, it either never shows up or doesn't show up until Styx. Conversely, I can consistently get Crystal Clarity in Asphodel.

This is me. Right down to wanting Hunting Blades specifically. It’s one of the builds I’ve not gotten to try out yet.

This game has the most exquisite design and difficulty curve ever conceived, bar none. When last I posted in here, I think I’d gotten like one or two wins? Since then, I’ve got more than twenty, a bunch of which are streaks. Working toward my heat 16 win for that sweet reward.

As requested I just killed but not really Skelly and I gotta say that was a good joke, but kinda mean since it requires you to blow a semi (less so now but still) limited resource, and I don’t even like the sword.

I’m doing everything I can to make the sword as un-swordlike as possible, ditto the spear because I just don’t like either all that well, but I’m hoping that at minimum, the hidden aspect on sword will fix some of my complaints with it.

I know I’m way behind the thread, but I can’t wait to sink another fifty loving hours in this incredible game.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Some duo boons have weird requirements, like having a certain slot (attack/special/dash/etc.) taken up by that god. Any ares duos that affect doom usually require doom on attack/special. Same for blades, you need the cast/dash/call for those.

And the ares/zeus vengeance duo boon requires boons from both gods, *plus* at least 1 vengeance boon from any god for it to appear.

Come to think of it Ares has a lot more specific requirements. Its probably because hes basically 2 halves of 2 different gods stitched into one.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

I'm aware of HOW to get Hunting Blades. The issue is that even when I start with Ares' keepsake, get Slicing Shot, switch to Artemis, then focus solely on those two for the rest of the run, Hunting Blades just never shows up. Again, conversely, using this same general setup, I can consistently get Crystal Clarity in Asphodel, or Elysium at the latest.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I once got the revenge duo boon and has like 4 revenge boons. Stuff would die before I could get to it, it was great.

Another favorite of mine is Demeter’s legendary mainly because it works on Hades and the first time that happened it caught me by surprise.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

BurningBeard posted:

I’m doing everything I can to make the sword as un-swordlike as possible, ditto the spear because I just don’t like either all that well, but I’m hoping that at minimum, the hidden aspect on sword will fix some of my complaints with it.

Hidden aspect of the sword is pretty good IMO. Hidden aspect of the spear I don't really care for, I got my clear with it more in spite of the setup than because of it.

The fists are my favourite overall weapon but I prefer the Zag aspect (+ dodge charm) over the hidden one.

Come to think of it, the bow and the sword are probably the only two where I prefer the hidden aspect the most.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I once got the revenge duo boon and has like 4 revenge boons. Stuff would die before I could get to it, it was great.

Vengeful Mood is amazingly fun. I managed to get Zeus, Ares, Demeter, and Athena in my pool, then in Styx I switched to Aphrodite's keepsake and managed to get all 5 vengeance boons in time for the Hades fight.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
After 119 runs I finally tried out the Hestia rail, since this thread seems to be all about that manual reload. I can see why; that damage multiplier absolutely melts anything it touches, especially when comboed with Spread Shot.

That said, I died for the first time in forever, and I was struck by how even a failed run felt remarkably fair, with multiple points of failure I could have absolutely avoided. Using Routine Inspection on a weapon aspect I'm not familiar with is a big no-no. That chaos gate in late Elysium was my big mistake; whatever penalty I chose was going to be affecting me in the arena, and I should have known that. I would still have been ok if I had picked "you can't earn gold" instead of "attacking damages you". I probably wouldn't have taken as much of a beating in Styx if I had made smart choices at the last checkpoint: purged Ocean's Bounty before Styx (it was already at Heroic thanks to Demeter) rather than greedily diving after the coins, or used Bouldy more efficiently, or forced an Athena boon rather than the sigil of Hades' Aid, or just bought the diamond once it became affordable and taken the L with grace rather than blowing all my money in a futile attempt to survive.

If I was way better at dodging I could have maybe managed the big guy, even after all those mistakes, but I'm just not. And that's ok, even if all I got was a cute dialogue exchange:

"How fared your plundering of my realm, boy?"
"Could have gone better, but what can you do?"
"This is what I can do!" *summons eleven billion Strongbows, taking my last Death Defiance

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Hestia rail is my favorite rail, easily. Haven’t gotten hidden yet, but it’s some combination of the rhythm, dodge, reload, delete enemy, plus the sound of the empowered shot. I don’t even care if the damage (just cleared heat 11 with it) eventually falls off. It’s so fun to play with because of the tactility of it.

Gotta go back and do 0 with spear now, put two levels into Achilles. Hoping that’ll make it a bit more fun for me.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I didn’t click with any rail builds until I started maining Zeus Rail and holy poo poo is that a fun, reliable build

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Took me exactly 40 runs to escape. I also escaped my 42nd run. Shield plus deflect plus sturdy and doom is tasty.

What a nice game.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

BurningBeard posted:

Hestia rail is my favorite rail, easily. Haven’t gotten hidden yet, but it’s some combination of the rhythm, dodge, reload, delete enemy, plus the sound of the empowered shot. I don’t even care if the damage (just cleared heat 11 with it) eventually falls off. It’s so fun to play with because of the tactility of it.

Hestia is certainly a min-maxer's dream. Not only is it the best weapon/aspect for playing 'keep-away' but it's also the easiest weapon to build 32 Heat around.

Like, why bother achieving powershots with Heart Seeking Bow builds when you can do twice the damage and be extremely mobile with Hestia?

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

I got bored and started a fresh save to see how many runs it’d take me to escape. Got it on my 8th run but I think knowing what I know from doing this I could probably escape sooner.

Anyone ever try this?? I know it’s possible to escape on your first run.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I just did that and made it out on my third run, was shocked. got some really key boon luck though, merciful end so early really saved my rear end

GaiaShell
Mar 11, 2002

Hades won the first ever Hugo Award for video games

https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment/gaming/hades-is-the-first-video-game-to-win-a-hugo-award/ar-AARXQHe

Should have won GOTY over loving TLoU2 but at least this is something pretty neat

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Raytheon SigInt Hugo Award Winner Hades

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Wow the gun is really good, I just unlocked it and managed to beat minotaur+theseus & the final boss for the first time

but now my thumb hurts from buttonmashing attack+dash

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Tunicate posted:

Wow the gun is really good, I just unlocked it and managed to beat minotaur+theseus & the final boss for the first time

but now my thumb hurts from buttonmashing attack+dash

Just wait until you unlock the hidden aspect of the gun. Attack go brrrrrr

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
There simply has to be a way to reunite Achilles and Patrocles, right? Do I just need to have more conversations with Nyx? She helped me find Orpheus' and Sisyphus' contracts, but lately we mostly spoke about Persephone's return.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Torrannor posted:

There simply has to be a way to reunite Achilles and Patrocles, right? Do I just need to have more conversations with Nyx? She helped me find Orpheus' and Sisyphus' contracts, but lately we mostly spoke about Persephone's return.

Assuming you got to their nectar maximum then yeah, just keep talking to Nyx and also to them. The “priority” for side stuff like that story gets thrown out of whack when you do main story stuff, so just be persistent.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Oh yeah, any side quests you're doing are going to take a bit of a powder when you bring Mom home since, y'know, that's going to be the topic du jour for a while. AND kicks off the game's secondary arc so the dialog queue is gonna be clogged up for a bit.. Just keep at it and sooner or later you'll exhaust main plot dialog and the sidequests will resume.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Just beat Extreme Measures 4, and on my first try too. I remember seeing some stuff online, like how Hades gets a third phase and summons Cerberus but everything else sufficiently caught me off-guard.

serefin99 fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jan 9, 2022

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

serefin99 posted:

Just beat Extreme Measures 4, and on my first try too. I remember seeing some stuff online, like how Hades gets a third phase and summons Cerberus but everything else sufficiently caught me off-guard.

Your tags aren’t working, but yeah as ball busting as it is it’s also one of those video game moments that’s so well done that when the music kicks in it’s insanely hype regardless of spoilers.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Blackula Vs. Tarantula posted:

There's finally nothing left to do after you've ended the endless winter on the surface

And bought every house renovation--wait I'm sorry you can do that?!

I really appreciate how the post-game has a lot of plot threads that just happen organically, with When Ares says he wants to learn more about Nyx, literally all you have to do is talk to her once, and future messages from Ares will mention how they're having very interesting conversation.

Then there's more drawn out events, like the Dusa arc where Nyx fires her for working too hard, and when called out on it she gets mad for the first and only time: "If you seek to undermine my authority, do it elsewhere."

So you're saying I should go on a 0-heat mirror-free you're-not-my-real-mom tantrum run? Fine by me.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

The slowest side-plot is probably Skelly, since you can't grill him about who sent him until you've asked everybody else about him. This includes Thanathos, who has a lot of dialogue with higher priority (and isn't even present half the time).

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Captain Walker posted:

And bought every house renovation--wait I'm sorry you can do that?!

I think OP means once you finish Persphone's story and she starts moving between Hades and Olympus. Demeter then chills out and ends the endless winter that's ruining everyone's time in Greece. It stays winter in the boss arena for some reason I don't remember.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Cause she’s mad Persephone has to go there still

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

Wafflecopper posted:

I think OP means once you finish Persphone's story and she starts moving between Hades and Olympus. Demeter then chills out and ends the endless winter that's ruining everyone's time in Greece. It stays winter in the boss arena for some reason I don't remember.

It's this, the olympians explain in subsequent runs after the family reunited cutscene. I didn't mean to be misleading, the final boss area does not change, I just didn't remember the details of that cutscene. I just wanted to mention it because I know people who stopped playing after their tenth victory since the end credits play, and what seems like an ending cutscene and I wanted to make it clear there is more to the story after that.