Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Wow, the Endwalker DNC artifact gear looks awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

No one can hide anything from me.
Your heart is in plain sight to me.

Mr. Nice! posted:

for fellow reapers not so good at making sure the debuff is always up, here's a handy macro:

code:
/ac "Shadow of Death" <t>
/wait 25
/e <se.1> press the butan
/micon "Shadow of Death"
You can do this for aoe, as well. This works well for me and I don't mind the half second loss from using a combat macro. It's worth it for universal uptime and I don't have to use any third party tool to do the job.

Honestly I recommend this for the macro if for some reason you really need it. (You can set up ACT triggers that can prod you god forbid I needed them for SMN DoT management so I understand the feel)

If you wanna know some cursed stuff about macros here you go:

Macros do an input every frame they're queued for and on top of that they can't be queued up like a normal ability (This is why you should not macro your abilities). So if you had your macro set w/ 1 and it skipped over that frame for some reason you'll run into the same issue.

Also placing the /micon at the end gets the same results and prevents it from clogging up your abilities.

I absolutely hate Dragonsight because I have to macro it to target someone and its like 5 lines of <6> (Other melee), 5 lines of <8> (Caster), and 2 lines of <4> (Dungeons or lucky healer), and a <me> as a "gently caress you this needs to go off"

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Mordiceius posted:

I found the Bozja story incredibly dull. The Eureka story wasn't amazing, but I don't think I ever found myself bored out of my mind.

Bozja's story isn't amazing, but at least it does have a story. Eureka's lore is so threadbare that there are several normal sidequest chains with more meat to them.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Thundarr posted:

Bozja's story isn't amazing, but at least it does have a story. Eureka's lore is so threadbare that there are several normal sidequest chains with more meat to them.

I'd rather have a barebones story than hours of Matsuno pontificating at me about the most boring bullshit.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I have a few questions because I have a terrible memory, don't remember ShB that well, it took me until today to finally beat EW so some details are hazy, and I'm generally just pretty stupid.

Spoilers for ShB and 87 dungeon Do we ever get an explanation on why Hades/Hermes turn into a giant fuckoff monster when they decide they want to fight? Are they just using transformation magic just to be more powerful? Or is it just some final fantasy poo poo where bad guys have to be crazy looking

Also end game So if I'm understanding right, we're not Azem's soul reincarnated insomuch as we became Azem when we picked up the Azem soul crystal? I really enjoy stories being about random people rising to greatness instead of someone being predestined for some bullshit that they had no say in. I like the idea of the WoL being some random adventurer who is just really good at his job and fell into all this nonsense by never losing a fight.

e: Yes there's that blessing of light thing but Venat only chose me, the one true warrior of light in the entire game, because she already saw me murdering poo poo in the past, time travel is weird.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Dec 29, 2021

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Renegret posted:

I have a few questions because I have a terrible memory, don't remember ShB that well, it took me until today to finally beat EW so some details are hazy, and I'm generally just pretty stupid.

Spoilers for ShB and 87 dungeon Do we ever get an explanation on why Hades/Hermes turn into a giant fuckoff monster when they decide they want to fight? Are they just using transformation magic just to be more powerful? Or is it just some final fantasy poo poo where bad guys have to be crazy looking

Also end game So if I'm understanding right, we're not Azem's soul reincarnated insomuch as we became Azem when we picked up the Azem soul crystal? I really enjoy stories being about random people rising to greatness instead of someone being predestined for some bullshit that they had no say in. I like the idea of the WoL being some random adventurer who is just really good at his job and fell into all this nonsense by never losing a fight.

Don't know where you're getting that soul crystal bit from. Yes you find the crystal of azem along with the others in amourot and keep it, but it's pretty clear you ARE the latest incarnation of the soul that was Azem.

The game makes it clear however that while people who share souls might share certain key traits they are fundamentally different people, see Amon and Hermes for example.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Renegret posted:

e: Yes there's that blessing of light thing but Venat only chose me, the one true warrior of light in the entire game, because she already saw me murdering poo poo in the past, time travel is weird.

your first question was answered about an hour before you entered the dungeon. Transformation magic is manipulating a hard shell of aether around yourself or something like that. It's powerful but considered uncouth.

For the second, we have the last Azem's sundered soul, but that doesn't define who we are. ffxiv posits that reincarnations of the same soul have similar personalities, but everything the WoL earned, they earned for themself. You are no more Azem than you are Ardbert, who is also a fragment of Azem's soul.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Renegret posted:

(EW ending stuff) That's transformation magic, yeah. The same thing Emet does when you fight him as Hades at the end of ShB. Essentially, the Ancients have like a "combat form" that they use, but it's considered rude to do it in front of other people. Venat and Emet don't do it in the dungeon if you bring them along because Hermes used some magic dampening magic, of course :v:

We are (a piece of) Azem reincarnated, but we're not like an Ascian of them. The crystal never had any Azem memories because they never came back to Amaurot before the sundering. Instead, Emet inscribed it with the power to summon allies, because it was Azem's signature move.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

ShB stuff: Has it ever been explained why only Emet, Lahabrea and Elidibus escaped sundering?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Fiye posted:

I absolutely hate Dragonsight because I have to macro it to target someone and its like 5 lines of <6> (Other melee), 5 lines of <8> (Caster), and 2 lines of <4> (Dungeons or lucky healer), and a <me> as a "gently caress you this needs to go off"

I just rearranged my party list when I'm playing DPS to filter the preferred jobs to the top 3 slots in the list, and then have it target 2-3-4 and then me.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Mainwaring posted:

ShB stuff: Has it ever been explained why only Emet, Lahabrea and Elidibus escaped sundering?

No.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Begemot posted:

We are (a piece of) Azem reincarnated, but we're not like an Ascian of them. The crystal never had any Azem memories because they never came back to Amaurot before the sundering. Instead, Emet inscribed it with the power to summon allies, because it was Azem's signature move.

ah this was the part that I missed. I forgot that the crystals didn't physically exist before the sundering so I was under the impression that the crystal was passed down along with the title of Azem or whatever when it went to the next holder. I didn't do pan yet but I started to draw some imaginary lines when the NPCs compared the ascian crystals with job crystals in the intro quest that I only really did by accident and didn't pay full attention to.

Also, I really enjoy that Emet was a huge rear end in a top hat in EW.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Renegret posted:

ah this was the part that I missed. I forgot that the crystals didn't physically exist before the sundering so I was under the impression that the crystal was passed down along with the title of Azem or whatever when it went to the next holder. I didn't do pan yet but I started to draw some imaginary lines when the NPCs compared the ascian crystals with job crystals in the intro quest that I only really did by accident and didn't pay full attention to.

Fix the quote please, it isn't spoiled.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

S.J. posted:

Fix the quote please, it isn't spoiled.

done

my b

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

Anemos > Hydatos > Pyros > Pagos

What the gently caress

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Renegret posted:

(EW stuff) Very understandable, there are an awful lot of crystals to keep track of. The convocation crystals, with constellations on them, held memories that were used to "awaken" Ascians, from people who reincarnated with a piece of their soul from one of the shards. So like Emmeroloth or Igeyorm was just some random schmuck who got recruited by an immortal ghost wizard, and then given the memories of their previous incarnation.

Also yes, I love the reveal that, while his bitterness certainly increased, Emet was always an rear end in a top hat, even pre-Zodiark.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
My official review of Endwalker:

Man that was Final Fantasy as gently caress.

Ending was a bit predictable if you've ever played a single JRPG in your life but, who cares, it was extremely satisfying and that's what matters. I don't know if I liked ShB or EW more but there's something to be said about the sense of closure we finally have.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I have done it, the most pointless thing and all trusts are 90. Gets you the spiffy The Seventh Dawn title and like Of Dragon's Deep I don't expect to see a lot of those.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Stop, you're making Alisaie too powerful. Now she might survive casting a LB for a change.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is there an easy infographic for new gathering, I'm sure I could puzzle things out eventually but I am intimidated by all the greyed out buttons on my bar lol

For collectibles: https://docs.google.com/document/u/0/d/1sdQEAMk1YmCpDuPTemlQfsaxsGfcyyYz8Cx7lETTbmc/mobilebasic

Not sure if there’s one for legendary nodes. I’ve just been hitting the 500 GP button that increases yield by 2 and the 100 GP button that increases boom chance, then the 300 GP button that gives me a bonus gather and can proc another. That seems to math out the best for single nodes.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
if you know creation magic why not create yourself a stronger body?

because its tacky, idiot. now put your mask and wizard robe on.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Fiye posted:

i have dragon sight bound to middle mouse button, which lets me click someone from the team list and tab back in a single gcd. still a pain in the rear end for add phases and bosses so large you can't tab target them at most camera angles, but it works everywhere else

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

No one can hide anything from me.
Your heart is in plain sight to me.

Venuz Patrol posted:

i have dragon sight bound to middle mouse button, which lets me click someone from the team list and tab back in a single gcd. still a pain in the rear end for add phases and bosses so large you can't tab target them at most camera angles, but it works everywhere else

I have it bound to R because I'm a big dummy and my dragoon oGCDs are placed sequentially because that's how the rotation goes. (Q was Blood of the Dragon and thankfully I could just swap that with the new button because that comes up every 25 seconds and apparently its hard for me to notice its ready before I'm losing uses).

I miss MOaction and I hope it comes back soon.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I still use the old Nascent Flash macro that starts with my current target, then party member 2, goes down all the way through the party list until it hits someone, even if that someone is my chocobo.

Means it hits the other tank in 8-mans and the healer in 4-mans.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Venuz Patrol posted:

Bind a button to "assist target" instead, which targets your target's target (i.e. the boss).
Very useful when playing a healer.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Zeruel posted:

this but unironically, it's the "rolling coal" of Ascians

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
I have BLM at 90, but I don't raid with this job. Can anyone comment on this parse that shows no damage from Fire 4? Is it a new way to approach BLM damage or will it be patched out as an unintended gimmick? It appears competitive at least this early in the raid tier.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

So it looks like the secret to dancer in Ex and Savage content is making sure Technical Step doesn't come off CD during a big complicated mechanic. Because you don't want to have to deal with that poo poo.

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf

Eimi posted:

I have done it, the most pointless thing and all trusts are 90. Gets you the spiffy The Seventh Dawn title and like Of Dragon's Deep I don't expect to see a lot of those.

Ah, this is lovely. I had no idea the trusts UI had "scenario / avatars" split. I thought "how nice of them to automatically level your trust npcs for you this time"

So, being ignorant to that, all of the Trust runs I've done so far haven't earned me any xp. Time to fix that. :kingsley:

aers
Feb 15, 2012

central dogma posted:

I have BLM at 90, but I don't raid with this job. Can anyone comment on this parse that shows no damage from Fire 4? Is it a new way to approach BLM damage or will it be patched out as an unintended gimmick? It appears competitive at least this early in the raid tier.

It's competitive in the sense that a guy who had the #1 in the world parse on BLM for two fights last tier has parsed 90-95 with it, but you'll still do more damage with the regular rotation

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Man BLM has just spit out all kinds of cursed nonsense this expansion, huh

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I've been a BLM for most of the game but perhaps they had a point about black magic making us crazy

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

they're definitely going to patch it (how? idk) because in general they designed a specific way to play each job, and for BLM that is not it

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I really like BLM but certain fights make me want to immediately switch jobs. A good example is the last boss of the 81 dungeon. There is just so much movement that I hardly feel like I can do anything once my triplecast charges are gone.

For a lot of bosses in general it feels like 'hey you get to go through most of one rotation before all hell breaks loose'. Of course I'm learning and generally kind of bad, but I'm not sure what I can do besides scathe (lol) when fights call for non-stop movement at which time my dps craters.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

Mordiceius posted:

Trust XP is too low. It doesn't need to be doubled, but 1.5 would be enough

I'm outleveling the trusts at this point. It takes 5 times in each dungeon to get the trusts to the next tier, while it takes closer to 4 dungeons to level yourself up to the next tier.

Trusts gain EXP about what you would get with the armory bonus in the dungeon, only with rested do you outpace them. In fact they gain even slightly more then you do to the point I had to go do a quick trial roulette to hit 85 myself when the group i was leveling had gotten to 85.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Tamba posted:

Bind a button to "assist target" instead, which targets your target's target (i.e. the boss).
Very useful when playing a healer.
Agreed, assist-target is an essential keybind for healers. If you're glare-glare-glaring the boss, tap the assist-target keybind to target your tank, then tap it again to go back to the boss. It's also clutch for PVP.

another thing I never bothered using for a long time was focus-target. I finally started using it when I was working my way through the Alexander raids because I kept dying because I was healing people instead of monitoring the boss's cast bar.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Zeruel posted:

(new raid spoilers) There's at least one Ancient walking around with eyeglasses. Why? Apparently just so he can dramatically ditch them, but why would they even know what glasses are?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Saint Freak posted:

(new raid spoilers) There's at least one Ancient walking around with eyeglasses. Why? Apparently just so he can dramatically ditch them, but why would they even know what glasses are?
looks cool, duh

central dogma posted:

I haven't touched blm since 80 and can't read japanese, what the heck is this rotation doing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I blitzed a set of trusts on Black Mage, spending my rested bonus on other jobs for roulette, and I found that with only the armory bonus running they ended up outpacing me slightly enough that I had to pop a few FATEs after the 85 and 87 dungeon.