Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

:lol:https://twitter.com/madlittlepixel/status/1453477321235517440?t=w9NtBqz-77k-PzlEuMPh6A&s=19:
:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

i love this glorious dumpster fire

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Lol though to be fair I had this happen with an ebay package once. Turned out the post office confused the return and sender address for no discernable reason.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Turbinosamente posted:

Lol though to be fair I had this happen with an ebay package once. Turned out the post office confused the return and sender address for no discernable reason.

Regardless of whose gently caress up this is, it's VERY on brand.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Regardless of whose gently caress up this is, it's VERY on brand.

Oh I ain't disputing that.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

quote:

Ok so... I ordered something... the @Intellivision Amico Boxed Edition of games... yes I have to give this system a legit shot and review so I bought these to discuss and later review.
Obviously he can't review the games because, you know, the console isn't even out, but what else is there to discuss? He paid $80 to talk about the box art?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

:lmao:

https://twitter.com/SNicktendo/status/1453477893393244160

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDQkSuCSVTo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkjrObXMWb8

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Oh no the youtubers are eating each other, whatever shall we do!?! Still funny that there's a significant amount of people buying it just for dunking on it for a video. Have to wonder if they get enough views to make the investment worth it? Even with all the buffoonery surrounding it the Amico and intellivison as a whole is a niche of a niche for topics/popularity.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

@ 7:10 : "but there are people who spent ten thousand dollars for these games"

excuse me, what

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Former Human posted:

Obviously he can't review the games because, you know, the console isn't even out, but what else is there to discuss? He paid $80 to talk about the box art?

I don't understand why he "has to give it a legit shot", does he work for and/or run some kind of gaming publication? The compulsion for people to waste good money on piece of poo poo game pitches that they absolutely know are total poo poo mystifies me.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I like Mad Little Pixel's videos. He's a good dude. And he runs his own web store so a lot of the stuff he buys to review on his channel go up for sale, so I'm sure the plan is to recoup some cash for the purchase of his Amiico and those boxed "games." I'm pretty sure the Amiico will come out eventually and I'm glad there are people taking the bullet to review it when it comes out.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Tommy linked to this one article on a random PC gaming site that said the physical game shipment sold out :lol: https://www.wepc.com/news/intellivision-amico/

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Lol that there's so many influencers trying to be the first to make their mockery gameplay videos it ends up selling out at least the first presumably pathetic shipment

Also realising Amico sounds a lot like Amiibo.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also realising Amico sounds a lot like Amiibo.

Also realizing that the Amiibo fad is pretty well dead now. The hype for those ended before this project was even conceived right?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Turbinosamente posted:

Also realizing that the Amiibo fad is pretty well dead now. The hype for those ended before this project was even conceived right?

I mean they still make Amiibos and they sell all right, it's the general Toy to Life genre (Skylanders, Disney Infinity, Lego Dimensions) is dead

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Willo567 posted:

I mean they still make Amiibos and they sell all right, it's the general Toy to Life genre (Skylanders, Disney Infinity, Lego Dimensions) is dead

I meant more in the f5ing retailer websites on release day and crazy scalper markups on Ebay and everyone flipping poo poo trying to obtain one. That aspect died out a while ago. I know they still make them but no one's really talking about them anymore.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Between this and Chris Pratt it's been a bad time for Italian gamers

Being associated with Chris Pratt = Good.
Being associated with Toni Tallarico = Not Good and actually cancels the benefit of having Chris Pratt as honorary Italian.
Ciao.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

limaCAT posted:

Being associated with Chris Pratt = Good.

:wrong:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Turbinosamente posted:

I meant more in the f5ing retailer websites on release day and crazy scalper markups on Ebay and everyone flipping poo poo trying to obtain one. That aspect died out a while ago. I know they still make them but no one's really talking about them anymore.

It still exists in some capacity, the ones for Metroid Dread just a couple weeks ago sold out everywhere in hours. I was lucky enough to get that one from a store that had like 2 left in stock at the time. The ones from Samus Returns from a couple years ago are going for hundreds of dollars CIB now.
What sucks is that they never make enough of certain ones, which happen to often be the only ones I actually want. Some of the Splatoon ones and the Dark Souls Solaire amiibo I never actually saw in stock from the first day they were out. I wish they'd do re-releases of some of them just as a gently caress-you to scalpers.

raditts fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 28, 2021

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Apparently these bozos stole assets from World of Tanks and some free tanks from a non-commercial use license in their BATTLE TANKS deep dive video so they've taken it down from everywhere after being called out on it. This thing is such a funny dumpster fire

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yeah, amiibos still sell like mad, Nintendo just didn't go insane with them and just sells them as merchandise with benefits, thus being basically the last man standing in the video game tie-in toys market by default.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Kashuno posted:

Apparently these bozos stole assets from World of Tanks and some free tanks from a non-commercial use license in their BATTLE TANKS deep dive video so they've taken it down from everywhere after being called out on it. This thing is such a funny dumpster fire

I'm not sure what they were thinking, I played war thunder for a little while years ago and that splash screen is still immediately recognizable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t02Sxigxai0

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, amiibos still sell like mad, Nintendo just didn't go insane with them and just sells them as merchandise with benefits, thus being basically the last man standing in the video game tie-in toys market by default.

Nintendo is weirdly one of the only companies in the business that seems to actually understand that weird plastic gimmick stuff has an appreciable shelf life and the bottom can fall out if you over-exploit it, even if it seems like it's printing money.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
That and like has been said before, amiibos have always been a neat and cheap (at MSRP) figure of your favorite nintendo character first. It was a brilliant move to start by making the smash bros character trophies first as physical objects. A wide range of beloved characters, the poses have already been figured out, and a game that's easy to come up with a way to implement them.

So anyways the amico. Outside of the new asset rip off posted above have they finally figured out how to keep quiet? I haven't caught up on the CU podcast or looked into how the projects coming along lately. Can't even poo poo on the packaging design for their "physical" games, because it's fine I guess, I just personally don't like the Apple aesthetic they've gone with for that and the hardware. Gotta imitate a successful product I guess?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/Intellivision/status/1463227509684768770?t=vallb_EYEqCX8ozmqZm1ag&s=19

Releasing the product is the first step towards failure.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m gonna lol when they get sued by apple for lifting the iPod classic design

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I was just informed by someone (who should know better) that an Ecco sequel is coming out on this thing. I'm baffled. I'm baffled that the team behind those ancient games from nearly 30 years ago and which weren't even that popular back then are supposedly together now making something that looks exactly the same now and they are fully on board for this grift? And people are taking it seriously apparently and spreading about how this is going to be awesome? Oh, and there's only one screenshot of the thing? It's just so :psyduck: The whole thing.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I vaguely remember hearing about that. Wouldn't be surprised if it got ported to phones and Switch the nanosecond the exclusivity contract ends (or they could just release a slightly altered version outside of Amico so it counts as a different game, by Amico standards.) Even googling it, the auto suggestion brought up "Ecco The Dolphin Amiibo" and not Amico.

Has it even been confirmed how exclusively works for this thing? Would a game's exclusivity last from X months/years after launch of the console or completion of the game? Or are there set dates? I imagine that's tricky for console lahnches, probably even trickier for vaporware.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
To be fair, it's probably not anyone from the original games (or the DC reboot). Just someone with the rights to that very valuable ip.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I was thinking today, while listening to last week's CUpodcast... consider how much more popular the Atari 2600 was compared to the Intellivision (I don't have exact numbers, but suffice it to say, MUCH more popular I just looked it up, and apparently, sales were 10:1 for the 2600), and couple that fact with how the Atari VCS came out recently and died a quick death.

How the HELL can anyone think that this has legs?

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 29, 2021

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

the Atari VCS came out and died a quick death

That happened? I thought people were still waiting on the thing. Apparently it came and went so fast I didn't even realize?

Billy Gnosis posted:

To be fair, it's probably not anyone from the original games (or the DC reboot). Just someone with the rights to that very valuable ip.

The only article I found on the thing mentioned the actual original developers (from the Mega Drive era, yes) are behind it, which is why it's so baffling. It would be way less surprising if it was an Infogrames sort of situation of buying an IP's corpse and propping it around for some quick cash injection.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Not only did it come out, it's a thing you can order from Best Buy, right now.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

I was thinking today, while listening to last week's CUpodcast... consider how much more popular the Atari 2600 was compared to the Intellivision (I don't have exact numbers, but suffice it to say, MUCH more popular I just looked it up, and apparently, sales were 10:1 for the 2600), and couple that fact with how the Atari VCS came out recently and died a quick death.

It seems like anyone who thinks the Amico will work out at this point are just people who are in Tommy's inner circle of 'influencers' and folks who are still starstruck that they have talked to a Videogame Company CEO and have a really extreme case of parasocial relationships

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Kashuno posted:

It seems like anyone who thinks the Amico will work out at this point are just people who are in Tommy's inner circle of 'influencers' and folks who are still starstruck that they have talked to a Videogame Company CEO and have a really extreme case of parasocial relationships

I feel like John Riggs doesn't want to get on Tommy's bad side, and that sucks. I sort of get it, dude's generally super friendly and positive (he didn't outwardly bash that new, completely lifeless Popeye game, for example), but I mean... c'mon, man. This whole console is a goddamned grift.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the use of the intellivision name for this has always baffled me

like, i fuckin love the 2600. i love that era of gaming in general. yet i have an intellivision and that thing fuckin sucks rear end. even if you like really old games, or find them fascinating from a historical perspective or whatever, the intellivision is bad and nobody gives a gently caress about it today.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

like, i fuckin love the 2600. i love that era of gaming in general. yet i have an intellivision and that thing fuckin sucks rear end. even if you like really old games, or find them fascinating from a historical perspective or whatever, the intellivision is bad and nobody gives a gently caress about it today.

it doesn't even have the advantage of being beloved by braindamaged gen x brits like the zx spectrum

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

Anecdotal counterpoint: I had an Intellivision and absolutely loved that thing. Heck, I spent more time than I should have in the early 2000s when I first discovered an emulator for it. The controller in particular was pretty great for its time with its mini-numpad adding a lot of options to game controls, the plastic inserts were genius, and, I didn't appreciate this enough back then, they worked identically for left-handed or right-handed players. Plus, it came up with Utopia, a city-builder/RTS with up to 2 players. In 1982. It might not have been the greatest thing ever, and I wished for many years I could have a NES rather than this old thing, but I'll always give it a lot of credit.

That said, even I couldn't give a poo poo about the Amico apart from a morbid curiosity angle. That should be worrying for them, because I feel like I'm not that far from their ideal target market...

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

The Atari 5200 tried to copy the Intellivision controller and I cannot forgive it for that. The 5200 controller is abysmal. It's like a doorstop combined with a telephone.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Catching up on this week's CU Podcast and Pat says he's played Dolphin Quest. Ed Annunziata, creator of Ecco The Dolphin, is indeed working on it. (I figured as much, a lot of those classic era Sega franchises are either partially or fully owned by their original creator, like ToeJam and Earl) But it's not going to be Amico exclusive, it'll be multiplatform. Pat played a pre-alpha version using a PS4 controller. Ed told him "It plays great on Switch". Kickstarter is gonna launch sometime next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011

Kanos posted:

Nintendo is weirdly one of the only companies in the business that seems to actually understand that weird plastic gimmick stuff has an appreciable shelf life and the bottom can fall out if you over-exploit it, even if it seems like it's printing money.

Nintendo had that figured out before they ever made video games: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_Hand