Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

I've started hearing this "joke" on Fox.

"The only person who should be giving out three shots is Kyle Rittenhouse at an ANTIFA riot."

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Jury Finds Kim Potter Guilty Of Manslaughter In Daunte Wright’s Death

I'm not racist, but...

quote:

To: Navy Patriot

I am utterly shocked that they could reach this conclusion. This one hits me hard. I did not feel this towards the Auberry verdict. I am not racist, but this poor woman deserved a verdict commensurate with her crime. Sooo distraught.

4 posted on 12/23/2021 11:47:07 AM PST by ruthles (.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Oh no, how terrible :geno:

quote:

At the rate they do not allow any mistakes with police officers without charging them they’ll soon find officers holding back entirely when we really need them to act.

5 posted on 12/23/2021 11:47:42 AM PST by caww ( )

quote:

That’s why all those conservatives who were praising the neutrality of the courts and juries over the Rittenhouse case were overreacting. Wokeness still matters over justice in extremely liberal jurisdictions where fair trials can’t be obtained.

Very sad.

7 posted on 12/23/2021 11:49:49 AM PST by CountryClassSF

"more or less"

quote:

To: scottinoc

This was a horrific mistake in the heat of the moment brought about because a criminal was not complying.

As to your suggestion to hire better officers my reflex is to agree. However, police are humans and there have been many cases where it can be argued the officers actions were reasonable and their lives were ruined anyways. Look at the officers with Chauvin in Minneapolis who more or less followed his department training and policy no matter how bad it looked.

Good luck getting good people to take such a job. Damned if you do and damned if you don’t if it fits the narrative of the left.

I am sorry for her. It was obviously unintentional but I think the real lesson throughout the country is just let non-compliant minority people go when they do not cooperate.

Why bother?

9 posted on 12/23/2021 11:49:57 AM PST by volunbeer (Find the truth and accept it - anything else is delusional)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

quote:

Democrats are evil scum.

12 posted on 12/23/2021 11:53:14 AM PST by stinkerpot65 (Global warming is a Marxist lie. )

quote:

She was convicted because she was white and the criminal was black.

13 posted on 12/23/2021 11:53:46 AM PST by McCarthysGhost (q)

quote:

To: volunbeer

I’ve never been a police officer, but I know it’s a tough job. If so, get tough people to do it. The diversity BS cuts both ways. It cuts against us conservative white people dwelling in the “safe suburbs” when diversity candidates pass police academy and wear the uniform in an unworthy manner. I know here in Las Vegas, being a Latinx woman holds more value than one’s ability to do the job. I hope and pray that we don’t have one of these cases. I still support and pray for police officers in every community, that they have the honor, integrity, and physical toughness to do the job. This one did not.

14 posted on 12/23/2021 11:53:51 AM PST by scottinoc
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

quote:

To: caww

Our society has been given over to evil because we are an evil society.

Hope the wokes and racists enjoy their new “utopia”.

18 posted on 12/23/2021 11:55:23 AM PST by Roman_War_Criminal (Jesus + Something = Nothing ; Jesus + Nothing = Everything )
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

quote:

Sad, didn’t appear to be intentional. Unlike Alex Baldwin.

20 posted on 12/23/2021 11:56:16 AM PST by McGruff

quote:

To: McGruff

Don’t you mean Saint Alex Baldwin?

47 posted on 12/23/2021 12:11:33 PM PST by Navy Patriot (Celebrate Decivilization)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 20 | View Replies]

quote:

Brooklyn, Minnesota?

That’s a suburb of Mogadishu, N.A.

22 posted on 12/23/2021 11:58:37 AM PST by Biblebelter

quote:

To: ruthles

No disappointment here. The two players involved were a useless career criminal and a useless cop who couldn’t do the simplest part of her drat job right.

59 posted on 12/23/2021 12:24:20 PM PST by Alberta's Child ("All lies and jest; still, a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest.")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

quote:

the jury knew what would happen to them and their city if they did not find her guilty. Our judicial system is destroyed.

66 posted on 12/23/2021 12:36:57 PM PST by Midwesterner53

quote:

To: CountryClassSF

Correct. If Rittenhouse had made one error, then he would’ve been locked up. Meanwhile rioters don’t even get charged, we are losing. People fear the left, not the right.

76 posted on 12/23/2021 12:55:24 PM PST by teevolt
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

:females:

quote:

To: ought-six

Yep.

What concerns me is was she fast tracked because that police dept. Needed x # of females to be PC? If that’s the case this is a good example of what happens when you hire “so many from each group” instead of best qualified to actually do the job.

Was she truly qualified to do the job she was doing?

I’ve always had a bit if a problem with females as cops on patrol.....inevitably it’s gonna come down to physical strength in that job at one time or another.

I’ve seen stories in the past about female cops getting beat within an inch of their lives because they were patrolling alone and crossed paths with a thug and the female couldn’t handle it physically.

Serving on my church prison ministry I see female guards right there in the yard with as many as 30 inmates with nothing to protect them but a Radio and a can of mace.
I’m always surprised nothing has ever happened......yet.

85 posted on 12/23/2021 1:19:03 PM PST by V_TWIN (America...so great even the people that hate it refuse to leave)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 74 | View Replies]

quote:

To: V_TWIN

“I’ve seen stories in the past about female cops getting beat within an inch of their lives because they were patrolling alone and crossed paths with a thug and the female couldn’t handle it physically.”

Happened to a cousin of mine. She was a cop in California and was mauled by a perp pretty badly. She quit the force not long afterwards.

88 posted on 12/23/2021 1:24:39 PM PST by ought-six (Multiculturalism is national suicide, and political correctness is the cyanide capsule. )
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 85 | View Replies]

quote:

To: ought-six

Hate to hear that. Hope she’s OK.

Just some jobs are for men....just like some jobs are better suited for women.

(Standing by for accusations of Misogyny and sexism)

92 posted on 12/23/2021 1:30:04 PM PST by V_TWIN (America...so great even the people that hate it refuse to leave)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 88 | View Replies]

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?
Mauled by a perp
And lib's to blame
Females give cops
A bad name

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Zeroisanumber posted:

Omicron is going to find all of these fuckers. Every single one.

inshallah

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I've read some stuff from ACAB people saying this cop lady deserves some leniency in sentencing, of which the merits of that discussion are for another thread.

So of course the Freepers are acting like there are demands for her to be shot in front of the courthouse.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Captain Log posted:

I've read some stuff from ACAB people saying this cop lady deserves some leniency in sentencing, of which the merits of that discussion are for another thread.

So of course the Freepers are acting like there are demands for her to be shot in front of the courthouse.

Didn't she resign immediately afterwards? Showing remorse goes a long way especially compared to "I did my job and I'll fuckin do it again :cop:"

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

DarklyDreaming posted:

Didn't she resign immediately afterwards? Showing remorse goes a long way especially compared to "I did my job and I'll fuckin do it again :cop:"

She resigned to protect her pension.

What she did was more incompetence than malice, but she still killed a man. gently caress her. ACAB.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
The Fop posts a vanity about how sickly they feel today. Bet you'd like to know if it's really COVID or not? Well they're not going to give you that satisfaction :smuggo:
I got sick last night....

The Fop posted:

..... And I'll never know whether or not it's COVID, because I refuse to get tested.

Started getting chills and body aches after attending a Christmas party. Not crazy shivers and fever like the flu, but more mild. Rested all day today, took Tylenol, and feeling much better. Will rest again tomorrow and see if I develop stuffed nose and cough.

The point is, prior to COVID, if a bunch of people who know each other, or work together, were getting sick, they'd say "I think there's something going around". And then they'd get over it and get back on with their lives.

That's exactly what I intend to do, even if the whole world around me has gone completely nuts.
Just purge your mind of the word COVID and it ceases to exist! Why can't people bring themselves to do this?

Couldn't possibly guess where I contracted a contagious respiratory disease :downs:

quote:

To: DennisR
How long after the Christmas party did you start getting chills and body aches?

Was this on Christmas, or was it a work or social Christmas party earlier in the week?

I’m just curious, because if the part was yesterday, your symptoms seemed to come on very very quickly

5 posted on 12/26/2021, 4:17:08 PM by z3n (“If the populace knew with what idiocy they were ruled, they would revolt.” -Charlemagne)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

quote:

To: z3n
It was about 9 PM last night that I started to feel symptoms during the party. Who knows where or when I could have picked it up.

I had a bad allergy attack almost 2 months ago. Had a productive cough for about 2 weeks, because I smoke.

Other than that, have not been sick since November 2019.

Live in NYC. Ride subway and bus daily, maskless.

13 posted on 12/26/2021, 4:21:57 PM by The Fop (God Bless Donald Trump, Frank Sinatra, Joacn Rivers, and the Fightin' Rat Pack Wing of the GOP)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

quote:

To: The Fop
My husband missed 2 of the 3 parties my family had the past few days because he thought he had strep throat beginning on Tuesday, really bad by Friday. His home test was negative for Covid, but all his symptoms matched it and a coworker (who began getting sick before my husband) tested positive. We’re doing the ivermectin just in case. But he felt well enough today that we worked cows and goats this morning.

20 posted on 12/26/2021, 4:26:14 PM by texas_mrs (Who says "Cheaters never win"? )

quote:

amen brother/sister. I totally agree with you. I got a call from my ops manager today telling me another employee’s wife tested positive and asked if I would ask him to quarantine. I said no. every one of you is TRIPLE vaxxed. Get it over it. I refuse to live my life in fear.

In normal times we would all blow this off; if you don’t feel well you stay home. That’s what normal people do.

24 posted on 12/26/2021, 4:30:05 PM by spacejunkie2001

I'm not even sick, I have superior Natural Immunity!

quote:

To: dadfly
I have looked up many internet links, including Front Line doctors, for trying to get ivermectin,and always run into a brick wall

As much as I have total faith in HCQ and ivermectin, I think I’ll be fine without either. If I didn’t get the original alpha strain during the height of New York City outbreak, I probably have pretty good natural immunity.

30 posted on 12/26/2021, 4:32:21 PM by The Fop (God Bless Donald Trump, Frank Sinatra, Joacn Rivers, and the Fightin' Rat Pack Wing of the GOP)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 22 | View Replies]

In fact, I am protagonist in the battle between Good and Evil!

quote:

To: vpintheak
Thank you.

Plenty of people here will think I’m nuts, but I believe that the fact that I saw COVID as a spiritual battle between good and evil, right from the get go, has offered me a form of spiritual protection.

I trust and love God. I despise both the murderous “experts”, and their legions of careerist accomplices.

53 posted on 12/26/2021, 4:46:53 PM by The Fop (God Bless Donald Trump, Frank Sinatra, Joacn Rivers, and the Fightin' Rat Pack Wing of the GOP)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 48 | View Replies]

quote:

To: vpintheak
The people here encouraging me to go get tested don’t seem to realize that they can keep this going forever, since there’s always going to be a new cold and flu season.

I think they shot their load with the alpha strain, which was quite strong for certain people. Now the evil liars are running on fumes. Fauci & Co. would love nothing more than for people to be getting tested “just to be sure” 15 years from now.

You can’t walk 10 feet anywhere in New York City without being bombarded by some message telling you to get tested, get boosted, get vaxxed.

I’m hard wired to give them the middle finger. There’s not an ounce of truth or sincerity to anything they say or do. Just raw evil.

Sure, some people die of COVID, because they either couldn’t get access to therapeutics, or it never even entered their mind to try. That doesn’t change the fact this was a planned bio weapon and they’re lying about everything.

Finding out whether or not I have COVID is meaningless to me.
If we wanted to save grandma, then we’d be shutting down schools, Christmas parties, and other activities every cold and flu season, to cut grandma flu deaths in half or more.

For years it was fine to take TheraFlu or Nyquil, and then go spreading our germs everywhere because we feel so much better, even though we’re still contagious..... Grandma be damned! But now all of a sudden, I should be worried about vulnerable people, because the evil billionaires told me so.

112 posted on 12/26/2021, 5:52:20 PM by The Fop (God Bless Donald Trump, Frank Sinatra, Joacn Rivers, and the Fightin' Rat Pack Wing of the GOP)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 96 | View Replies]

quote:

I’m sorry, this is getting ridiculous! Oh my gosh, you had some chills! Oh the humanity!

This is do drat pathetic! We have turned into a bunch of Pu$$ies!

106 posted on 12/26/2021, 5:46:05 PM by Artcore

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Let's see how he's doing a week from now.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Zeroisanumber posted:

Let's see how he's doing a week from now.

When he drops dead they'll just make up some bullshit to explain it. Like oh he got a test and now he's dead.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

When he drops dead they'll just make up some bullshit to explain it. Like oh he got a test and now he's dead.

Or it’s just they wouldn’t give him the true cure: horse deworming meds.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
They're absolutely gonna blame the hospital for not shooting horse drugs up his rear end soon enough to save his life.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
That is precisely what they'll do.

From the schadenfreude thread:

fuctifino posted:

You are right. He didn't learn a thing, and there's every chance he might not be over the worst yet too

e: full uodate found here https://twitter.com/JohnDra93154435/status/1475119140176375813

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

quote:

But now all of a sudden, I should be worried about vulnerable people, because the evil billionaires told me so.
The true spiritual battle between good and evil.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

"Like a German concentration camp..."

Stupid rear end sack of loving poo poo. These motherfuckers couldn't even hack it during a weekend stay at county lockup. Any SS-man worth his salt would have sent these assholes to the gas chamber immediately and they would thank him for it.

gently caress me, a German anti-vax woman compared herself to Sophie Scholl and was roundly reviled for it.
Here, though? Go for it. You might even get some likes on twitter!

Ah gently caress, what did this dude tell me one time?
"If you can't find the worst poker player at the table, it's probably you."

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Right wing conspiracy theorists think that everything is like a Nazi death camp except Nazi death camps, which they saw a video about.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

quote:

Joacn Rivers

?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Guavanaut posted:

Right wing conspiracy theorists think that everything is like a Nazi death camp except Nazi death camps, which they saw a video about.

One of my favorites about conservatives is how they will argue that the Nazi's weren't so bad and the holocause didn't exist, then say that people are like Nazi's or a thing is like a Nazi death camp.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

pseudanonymous posted:

One of my favorites about conservatives is how they will argue that the Nazi's weren't so bad and the holocause didn't exist, then say that people are like Nazi's or a thing is like a Nazi death camp.

The holocaust never happened but if it had it would have been a good thing is a fairly succinct summary of that general position.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I seriously want all the people like this to be arrested and thrown into padded cells where they belong.

And I want them all to have fully funded free psychiatric care and medications that they very obviously need.

I hate that we live in hell world where these clearly insane people who are walking public health risks are allowed to do pretty much whatever they want.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Elephant Ambush posted:

I seriously want all the people like this to be arrested and thrown into padded cells where they belong.

And I want them all to have fully funded free psychiatric care and medications that they very obviously need.

I hate that we live in hell world where these clearly insane people who are walking public health risks are allowed to do pretty much whatever they want.

On that -

I grew up under odd circumstances, with my parents having an extremely acrimonious divorce when I was five. In 1989, by the way. One side is all British immigrants, including my father, and a bunch of socially left atheists. My mother's side are all extremely religious, hard right, evangelical nutters who have lived in the south for centuries. I grew up with a foot in two completely opposite worlds, giving me a bizarre entrance into two worlds at once.

When talking about the conservative side to friends, I often heard, "Those people are literally mentally ill! How can they be like that?!"

Here is the kicker - They aren't mentally ill. At least not in the traditional diagnostic sense. I doubt a single one of them could be diagnosed with anything from the DSM-V. It goes so much deeper than a mental illness, because that implies it is something that is fixable. Instead, we are talking about generations on generations of a societal fabric built on the perception of being oppressed when you are the ruling class, being metaphysically holy while outsiders are some level between damned and demonic, and actually being much smarter than the people who are actually intelligent.

These are people who have an existence, down to their loving neurons, based on a cancerous death cultist interpretation of a religion. I feel it's zealotry, allowed to run unchecked for centuries, at a level that would put ISIS to shame.

Is it mental illness? Probably. But I think it's a hell of a lot worse than that in ways our language fails to capture.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Was there any spending the holidays alone because I’ve alienated my kids threads this year?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Was there any spending the holidays alone because I’ve alienated my kids threads this year?

I think they mostly blamed the kids for being covid cowards if they didn't come this year.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

I am constantly exhausted by the take that conspiracy theorists or people who are just incredible assholes with rear end in a top hat beliefs and motivations are obviously mentally ill, and therefore shouldn't be allowed to participate in society/should be locked up for the good of all.

Just loving stop it, please.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

kartikeya posted:

I am constantly exhausted by the take that conspiracy theorists or people who are just incredible assholes with rear end in a top hat beliefs and motivations are obviously mentally ill, and therefore shouldn't be allowed to participate in society/should be locked up for the good of all.

Freedom is just another word for plausible deniability.

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?
When you really know that Jesus guy:

quote:

To: Kaslin
Praying for a heretic like Biden is worthless because the man does not really believe. He is as phoney as can be. Praying for someone who is committed to the other side is useless. It cannot help for he goes with the other side and if you cannot see it then you will be fooled. Have you viewed the photos of him in church”?

22 posted on 12/28/2021, 12:28:38 PM by maxwellsmart_agent

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

kartikeya posted:

Yeah, conspiracy theories are more about being "special." Part of the select in-group of really smart people who see the real truth unlike all those dumb sheeple. It's a big rear end planet with 7 billion people on it and we want to feel like we matter somehow, some of us turn to this kind of mindset.

There's also a smattering of order vs. chaos. The big conspiracy is less terrifying because we know about it, it's part of some design. Even if we can't stop the evil plan, knowing it's part of a plan is a lot less troubling than the reality: sometimes terrible poo poo just happens for no good goddamned reason. 9/11 was this grand supervillain plot that required thousands and thousands of people to pull off, instead of just a small group of assholes proving our country was waaaayy easier to attack than we thought it was. Sometimes a random rear end respiratory virus mutates in a way that makes it significantly more infectious and deadly and it spreads like wildfire because our society is not at all set up to contain it.

I think it's not always so much about believing in something that is false, but rather having absurd interpretations of things that are true. The old adage about hearing hooves and thinking horses instead of zebras, the conspiracy theorist hears hooves and thinks unicorns. And that's why no amount of logical discussion will break them out of it. No amount of explaining that unicorns aren't real will work. They already have their proof. They hear the hooves. Oh so you're denying that there are hooves, you sheep?

Just waving it off as "they're just crazy lol" doesn't help anyone and provides no insight.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The ones that transparently want to Day Of The Rope us shouldn't be allowed to participate in society for the good of all though, not because they're mentally ill but because they're nazis and probably one minor inconvenience away from doing terrorism.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Freedom of speech is a motherfucker when people want to dance on the "screaming fire in a theater" line, except terrorism.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Any given deep conspiracy theorist may or may not be an rear end in a top hat or have a mental illness, but that's ultimately immaterial as to why I want them nowhere near a position where they get to make important decisions

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Sarcastr0 posted:

When you really know that Jesus guy:

And Jesus bowed his head and said “gently caress those other people, be wrathful and hope they burn in hell”

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Dr. VooDoo posted:

And Jesus bowed his head and said “gently caress those other people, be wrathful and hope they burn in hell”

I cannot help but think about -

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

kartikeya posted:

No.

Shut up.

gently caress you.

Whether this is mental illness or not, I don't care what the root cause is, these people are directly responsible for the deaths of thousands of innocent people because they're children who refuse to live in objective reality, refuse to get vaccinated, and refuse to do anything to protect others from the deadly respiratory virus that we would have gotten past already if it wasn't for these fuckheads.

They absolutely do not belong in society and they should not be allowed to freely roam around as public health risks.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

I believe that you have fundamentally misunderstood their point, which is that, "they are assholes, they must be mentally ill and should therefore be removed from society" is ableist rhetoric, and it would be preferable to say, "they are assholes whose actions materially hurt others, and should therefore be removed from society until they cease to be a danger". Whether they eventually stop endangering others because they had an underlying mental health issue that required treatment is beside the point. Plenty of people manage to be mentally ill without being assholes, so it only benefits assholes to conflate the two, and feeds into the idea that the mentally ill present an inherent danger.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

No.

Shut up.

gently caress you.

Whether this is mental illness or not, I don't care what the root cause is, these people are directly responsible for the deaths of thousands of innocent people because they're children who refuse to live in objective reality, refuse to get vaccinated, and refuse to do anything to protect others from the deadly respiratory virus that we would have gotten past already if it wasn't for these fuckheads.

They absolutely do not belong in society and they should not be allowed to freely roam around as public health risks.

I'm pretty sure this is about not demonizing mental illness, not saying that conspiracy "theorists" aka biggots are somehow okay.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Elephant Ambush posted:

No.

Shut up.

gently caress you.

Hey, guess what. That's not because they're mentally ill. It does not come from mental illness. I don't know how the gently caress someone reads my comment and thinks I'm saying these are super great people who shouldn't be shunned and/or removed from society/whatever. I'm saying mental illness has nothing to do with this poo poo, and constantly saying it does, does not, in fact, inconvenience these miserable fucks whatsoever, but it does, in fact, cause real, tangible harm to a marginalized population that already has to deal with being targeted for violence, having their illness either ignored or considered so dangerous they need to be locked away regardless of consent or general rights, constantly being used as scapegoats whenever some violent shithead decides to do a massacre (on both sides of the gun control debate), having fun things happen to them like being gunned down by cops rather than treated by doctors, and on, and on, and loving on. And all of this, all of it, contributes to people who desperately need help not seeking it even when they have access because to do so is to be stigmatized, to do so is to struggle with the perception, ingrained by our society, that being mentally ill makes you lesser, being crazy makes you dangerous, being insane is grounds for dehumanizing treatment, confinement, and experimentation. You know that thing chuds do where they go on about how Leftism is a mental illness? That. You're doing that. You.

I don't care if people say x is crazy, y is insane, whatever, our language has attached meaning to that which is hard to replace, and while it would be nice, I couldn't even begin to tell you what it should be replaced with. I do loving care when 'X is horrible, with horrible opinions, and does horrible things, therefore they are mentally ill' is said, and it is said all the time, everywhere, including this forum and quite often in this thread.

And the fact that you did read my comment that way? That's not just evidence of what I'm talking about, it's proof. You should care about the root cause, because it's not mental illness, and you should not say it is. This is not to say that Freepers can't be mentally ill, because of course they can, this is to say that the two are not the same, the one does not cause the other, and I am loving tired.

Edit: actually, how about a bit more fun, since Covid deaths were brought up. Guess how many homeless people tend to be mentally ill? Roughly a third. Guess why there are so many homeless folks with mental illness? Because they either have no access to treatment, won't get treatment, are not in a position to be able to or even know that they need treatment, and actually it turns out it's pretty hard to get effective treatment when you're homeless anyway, and besides that very few people have the care and the resources to try to help them. Guess how many people who are homeless have died from covid? That last is a trick question, because no one knows, because no one has been able to or bothered to find out.

Bonus round: Approximately how many people in jail or prison are mentally ill?

kartikeya fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 28, 2021

Dial911
Mar 18, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY LORD AND SAVIOR!!!

Settle down, Beavis.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

kartikeya posted:

Edit: actually, how about a bit more fun, since Covid deaths were brought up. Guess how many homeless people tend to be mentally ill? Roughly a third. Guess why there are so many homeless folks with mental illness? Because they either have no access to treatment, won't get treatment, are not in a position to be able to or even know that they need treatment, and actually it turns out it's pretty hard to get effective treatment when you're homeless anyway, and besides that very few people have the care and the resources to try to help them. Guess how many people who are homeless have died from covid? That last is a trick question, because no one knows, because no one has been able to or bothered to find out.

Bonus round: Approximately how many people in jail or prison are mentally ill?
I actually question substantially the cited number of homeless, mentally ill people. I work with the homeless and I believe that 1/3 is a massive underestimate. I've seen studies even in Canada where they're citing around that, and I cannot square that with the experience of my patients; homelessness is a distinctly soul crushing experience and will lead to significant depression and anxiety symptoms in just about everyone. I dunno, maybe 1/3 of my patients are actively psychotic at any given time, and of course mental illness spans a much broader range of issues than that.

Anyhow, Freepers' problems is that they're uniformly assholes. Some of them may be mentally ill too, but that's immaterial.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

The other thing about saying "oh freepers are mentally ill" or "qanon people are mentally ill" or whatever, it robs them of any agency and responsibility for their choices. There's a raging loving pandemic in this country right now, and the reason for it is the choices of these people, and they overwhelmingly made those choices because they're horrible selfish stupid bigots, not because "they're mentally ill".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Like I mentioned in my last post, the question of "mental illness" is irrelevant, without a deep discussion about religion classified as a shared societal delusion that isn't in the scope of this thread.

What a lot of people don't get, without having lived it, is how much these viewpoints are woven into people like DNA. We are talking generations and generations of identifying as a persecuted underclass while being the main block of influence throughout our entire society. To them, the world is all a battleground of spiritual warfare. Which is their words, not mine.

But 2015 to present has managed to turn everyone of their ilk into zealots. The Alt-Right Trumperism has taken little seeds of awful and sprouted them into God damned redwoods. People who I knew leaned ever so slightly conservative are now hopelessly brain wormed into screeching on social media about ANTIFA hoards and stolen elections. The Trump Era has managed to loving break reality for an extremely large part of the population.

And I have no idea how to fix it.