Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

cruft posted:

TÜV is every bit as good as UL. There is nothing in North America that UL certification gets you which TÜV certification doesn't. There are like five recognized certifying agencies in the US.

It's possible—even likely—that they went with the German company because it was easier to communicate with them.

Their website says they do not have any certification currently though.

edit: but this doesn't help the OP -- does somebody have an affordable alternative with safety certification?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Sonic Dude posted:

I fixed your post, there.

LOL

The new turn indicator camera doodad also shows up when the car asks permission to change lanes, which is nice, because now Ms Cruft is noticing when it warns we're coming up on a combine harvester and we should probably change lanes like everybody else behind us. This results in me not grinding my teeth as much.

What I'm trying to say is this new software update is probably going to reduce my long-term dental costs.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
Yeah, it’s not like the Tesla update is life-changing in a good or bad way. I liked the old/larger font for the speed, but I also like that it’s closer to the corner (and my peripheral vision) now. I like putting my own shortcuts on the bottom, but I want more than 4. I like the blind spot camera and waypoints, but wish I could do more with adjusting how much I want to charge at each stop (or arrive with more than 0.1% battery at the destination).

It’s progress, and I’ve never had a car improve after ~5 months before, so I’ll call it “pretty neat” and move on with my life.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Any time any software changes anything there are armies of people filling out online petitions to get them to change it back.

It may be better, it may be worse, but I just tune it all out until the reactionary people give up on their initial outrage.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Wayne Knight posted:

Any time any software changes anything there are armies of people filling out online petitions to get them to change it back.

It may be better, it may be worse, but I just tune it all out until the reactionary people give up on their initial outrage.

I've owned Tesla cars for over 3 years now, and I can say with confidence this is the first time a firmware update has made me wish I could revert it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Sonic Dude posted:

I fixed your post, there.
No idiot. Just one specific brand of EV. God! :argh:

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

I wish to submit the following whine for everyone's universal sympathy. Last October, we began leasing a Model S LR+. Aside from some issues with the rear right-side door that took a couple service visits to resolve, everything with the car was good, up until a couple months ago. I found that as the battery charge dropped below 50%, the car would start to reliably throw errors about the adaptive suspension, especially when accelerating. At the beginning of November, I made a service appointment for the end of the month (earliest I could get), and we continued to drive the car. I started to distrust it a bit when the car threw a low voltage error at me once in the midst of a flurry of suspension errors; as long as we kept it well-charged the errors generally wouldn't appear, so we kept it plugged in and charged to 80% all the time.

Eventually the service appointment rolls around and I schlep the car over to Tarrytown. I explain the problems about the adaptive suspension and the low voltage error, they give me a clapped-out ancient Model S as a loaner, and I go home. They call me 3 days later to say it's ready for pickup, so I go back to get it. They tell me that they installed a firmware update that should resolve both issues. I am somewhat skeptical, but don't argue with the guy as I have no grounds to do so. I take the car home and everything seems fine. We charge it up to 80% and use it throughout the week without recharging it. That Sunday, my wife drives down to her parents' house about 45 minutes south of here and gets there with about 140 miles of charge on the battery. When she goes to leave, the car refuses to start with a low voltage error. She calls me for help, I say call Tesla roadside assistance, they show up and end up towing the car to the Tesla place in Springfield. This was on December 5. After 5 days, they call us down to give us a Model 3 as a loaner, which we've had since then.

Our car has been with them for the last 3+ weeks with no end in sight. They have been slammed ever since the Paramus service center was shut down by flooding from Ida, so some delay is understandable, but I'd kind of like to have our own car back. On the 21st, they called me down to come pick it up, saying that they had replaced the 12V battery and the onboard charger. I get there to pick it up, the guy goes to get it. 15 minutes later he pulls it around, rolls down the window to tell me it threw the same low voltage error as before, and drives it right back into the shop. He comes out a few minutes later and hands me the loaner keycard apologetically, and back home I go without my car.

I am unsure about what to do next. It seems fairly clear at this point that Tesla doesn't really know what the problem is with the car, and when I ask (weekly) if they have any updates on the car, they tell me in the nicest possible customer support way that they will tell me when they're done with the car and to not bother them. Since the car's been out of commission for nearly a month and it's less than 2 years old and under 24000 miles, I can start the NJ lemon law process, but I feel like it's kind of a dick move to do so. Should I do it?

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Lol the ETA for my R1T is the second half of 2023

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

chutwig posted:

I can start the NJ lemon law process, but I feel like it's kind of a dick move to do so. Should I do it?

Pulling this on a large corp is never a dick move and why the law exists imo.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

That sounds like a HVDC-side problem, I wouldn't bother with the lemon law poo poo unless you want out of the lease.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

chutwig posted:

Since the car's been out of commission for nearly a month and it's less than 2 years old and under 24000 miles, I can start the NJ lemon law process, but I feel like it's kind of a dick move to do so. Should I do it?

Yes, you should, they’re a car company not a friend and nothing you can do to get restitution within the confines of the law is a dick move.

The main issue is how you will replace it in the current market if Tesla doesn’t offer a replacement.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

Wibla posted:

That sounds like a HVDC-side problem, I wouldn't bother with the lemon law poo poo unless you want out of the lease.

I contacted Tesla to ask about temporary lease forgiveness and they told me to go pound sand, which rubbed me the wrong way a bit, but I'm not going to make a decision out of spite.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

marshmonkey posted:

Yeah, the chip shortage is pretty bad. To be fair, my ETA was in March of 2022 and they were able to cut that down by 3 months.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Is there any way to run the 3’s climate in fan only mode? I’m so used to running fan only and heated seats/steering wheel in the winter due to not minding cold weather. I’ll keep the climate on a lower temp I guess if it’s not an option

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

chutwig posted:

I contacted Tesla to ask about temporary lease forgiveness and they told me to go pound sand, which rubbed me the wrong way a bit, but I'm not going to make a decision out of spite.

Why would you feel bad about using the lemon law after having received a lemon, especially after this is how they respond to you? Presumably you signed a lease because you wanted the car you chose and configured, not some old loaner vehicle. Right?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Can you lemon law a vehicle for factory paint and body panel defects if it meets the out of service for 30 days requirement?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Is there any way to run the 3’s climate in fan only mode? I’m so used to running fan only and heated seats/steering wheel in the winter due to not minding cold weather. I’ll keep the climate on a lower temp I guess if it’s not an option

At least as of 6 months ago when I sold mine: No

It’s been requested as a feature for-ev-er.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I've owned Tesla cars for over 3 years now, and I can say with confidence this is the first time a firmware update has made me wish I could revert it.

I think I'm coming around to agreeing. Owned Tesla cars since 2016.

On the plus side, at least it seems like they're settling on a basic notion of where everything goes on the screen, which is encouraging. I expect the next major version will bring some stuff back to the main screen.

E: probably worth noting that nothing in this update rises to the level of being worth complaining about for me. It's fine, just like it's fine how in the LEAF, the option to change which phone is paired comes after the option to unpair a phone. Whatever.

cruft fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Dec 29, 2021

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

marshmonkey posted:

Did you order the big battery pack? Or the lower trim? Those are being deprioritized.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
nope

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 6, 2022

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

chutwig posted:

Friendo, use every possible tool you have to gently caress them up. It's your duty.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Charles posted:

Did you order the big battery pack? Or the lower trim? Those are being deprioritized.

max pack

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

chutwig posted:

I’d stick a faulty lease vehicle so far up their rear end they’d be burping windshield washer fluid. Corporations don’t have your best interest in mind.

DoomTrainPhD posted:

At least as of 6 months ago when I sold mine: No

It’s been requested as a feature for-ev-er.

:confused:

You turn auto mode off, and then click the A/C button to turn the compressor off. If you mean the heat too, I’d imagine setting the set-temp to LO as well would accomplish a similar thing. It’s worth noting that IIRC the HVAC will run under certain circumstances for pack and vehicle system heating/cooling, so you can’t really force it all the way off all the time.

Or am I missing something with OP’s desired behavior?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

MrYenko posted:

I’d stick a faulty lease vehicle so far up their rear end they’d be burping windshield washer fluid. Corporations don’t have your best interest in mind.

:confused:

You turn auto mode off, and then click the A/C button to turn the compressor off. If you mean the heat too, I’d imagine setting the set-temp to LO as well would accomplish a similar thing. It’s worth noting that IIRC the HVAC will run under certain circumstances for pack and vehicle system heating/cooling, so you can’t really force it all the way off all the time.

Or am I missing something with OP’s desired behavior?

Yeah, there's a blue "A/C" button you press, and boom, no A/C.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

They returned the car to me this morning after replacing the entire charging system, so fingers crossed that that fixes it. It didn't blast errors at me on the drive home, at least.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

The 2022 Bolt, in order to get adaptive cruise, requires the upgraded trim package that includes leather seats, which Cruft Jr, a lifelong vegetarian, finds Incredibly Gross. It also brings the price up to $36k, which is $8k less than a Model 3, which has non-yucky seats, USB ports all over, heated front and rear seats, more range, faster charging, a usable frunk, slightly better crash test results, and also The Battle for Polytopia.

We can afford a Model 3 no problem. I need help understanding why, as the ones paying 100% of the sale price the car, Mr and Ms Cruft should even be considering the Bolt at this point.

With Chevy not even making Bolts until February, and Tesla predicting delivery in October 2022, we actually need to move on this pretty soon. What a world.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
8k is actually a lot of money. It's a very significant price difference. You could take the family on a really nice two-week overseas vacation for less than that.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 29, 2021

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Speleothing posted:

8k is actually a lot of money. It's a very significant price difference. You could take the family on a really nice two-week overseas vacation for less than that.

Well, that's actually a really good point.

And I calculated wrong, it's $9k. Which is ¼ of a Bolt.

cruft fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 29, 2021

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I'm likely goin to buy a Bolt after trading my Model 3 in for a Lightning. The Bolt will be perfect for grocery-getting, and luxuries like adaptive cruise won't be missed doing that, so cheapest model it is for me.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I'm likely goin to buy a Bolt after trading my Model 3 in for a Lightning. The Bolt will be perfect for grocery-getting, and luxuries like adaptive cruise won't be missed doing that, so cheapest model it is for me.

why not just drive the Lightning to the supermarket and save the ~$25k on the bolt (or put it towards a properly enjoyable second car)?

Do you think your fast new pickup truck is too workmanlike and overpowered for grocery getting? It’s what 99.999% of pickups do all the time anyway

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Just put the 25k towards bulky, manly items like shovels and bear traps.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Ok Comboomer posted:

why not just drive the Lightning to the supermarket and save the ~$25k on the bolt (or put it towards a properly enjoyable second car)?

Do you think your fast new pickup truck is too workmanlike and overpowered for grocery getting? It’s what 99.999% of pickups do all the time anyway

I don't want to fight mrs. nfck for the truck especially if it's raining and I don't want to ride my motorcycle to work. And the Bolt is enjoyable imo.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I don't want to fight mrs. nfck for the truck especially if it's raining and I don't want to ride my motorcycle to work. And the Bolt is enjoyable imo.

Yeah, but it’s not MX-5 enjoyable. It’s not even Fiesta ST enjoyable

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Ok Comboomer posted:

Yeah, but it’s not MX-5 enjoyable. It’s not even Fiesta ST enjoyable

I don't think the Miata really fits since it's not going to fit 2 car seats well but an electric Fiesta ST would be pretty cool. Maybe Ford will do it some day. Until then, the Bolt's the only player in North America in its class/price point with a drivetrain that suits the topic.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

cruft posted:

Well, that's actually a really good point.

And I calculated wrong, it's $9k. Which is ¼ of a Bolt.

Also if BBB never materializes and the supply chain eases, GM will probably put thousands more on the hood again.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Nfcknblvbl posted:

the Bolt's the only player in North America in its class/price point with a drivetrain that suits the topic.

The drivetrain gives handjobs?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

cruft posted:

The 2022 Bolt, in order to get adaptive cruise, requires the upgraded trim package that includes leather seats, which Cruft Jr, a lifelong vegetarian, finds Incredibly Gross. It also brings the price up to $36k, which is $8k less than a Model 3, which has non-yucky seats, USB ports all over, heated front and rear seats, more range, faster charging, a usable frunk, slightly better crash test results, and also The Battle for Polytopia.

We can afford a Model 3 no problem. I need help understanding why, as the ones paying 100% of the sale price the car, Mr and Ms Cruft should even be considering the Bolt at this point.

With Chevy not even making Bolts until February, and Tesla predicting delivery in October 2022, we actually need to move on this pretty soon. What a world.

Leather is against my beliefs too so that's frustrating. According to the rep all trims of the Ioniq 5 have a leather steering wheel, despite the rest of the interior being vegan. I don't know if it's actually true as they don't have their poo poo together.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
A weakness of the Bolt is the DCFC speed. I was able to road trip it just fine but it was a little tedious on the way home sometimes. If you never plan on long trips or are ok with waiting a bit then it’s a great value

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Charles posted:

Leather is against my beliefs too so that's frustrating. According to the rep all trims of the Ioniq 5 have a leather steering wheel, despite the rest of the interior being vegan. I don't know if it's actually true as they don't have their poo poo together.
I didn't know about this before, and I thought the lack of a rear wiper was weird enough, but apparently the interior leather (steering wheel aside) is real in EU but fake in US (5:00)? There are some weird decisions in this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snWw1gF5iDI&t=298s

"Leatherette" appears to be their word for fake leather.

kliras fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The biggest argument against the M3 is basically echoes of the goon having a hell of a time with the repairs. You roll the dice with the condition of the vehicle.

That and the interior experience if you like the whole "no buttons" thing or not.
If your only concern is range, then you're likely looking at only the M3 because of the supercharger network, too.