Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
The future of democrat presidential candidates:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Crowsbeak posted:

Thinking the Republicans will be any more competent then the tories in the UK is I think a form of coping to get oneself to still vote Democrat when the time comes. They’re a giant mess that is largely held together by loyalty to Trump. His death will see them return to their civil war.

The main difference between the American system and every other parliamentary system is that there are only two options. The republicans don't have to be more competent than anyone other than the democrats. That's it, that's the only condition. They have just have to try harder than a party which has written off 60% of states as unwinnable or not worth the effort.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Constitution says you can be elected President only twice but it doesn't say how many times you could be elected Vice President or hold the office of Vice President.

So Trump could win a second term and then run as VP for somebody who, when elected and sworn in, immediately resigns, giving Trump a third term.

Or an elected VP could resign, an elected President could appoint Trump VP, and then they could resign, making Trump the President.

This could just go on forever till he dies at the age of 112.

It's a loophole we haven't closed yet because it hasn't come up yet. That's how the Constitution works

the dumbest and funniest option is that the 2024 wipeout gives the GOP enough state governments to call a constitutional convention, but the only thing they can agree on at the convention is repealing presidential term limits so trump can be president for life

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

yeah? biden said he wanted a strong republican party, weren't people listening?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’m listening.

and I’m screaming

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’m listening.

and I’m screaming

I have no mouth, and I must scream

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

LastInLine posted:

The main difference between the American system and every other parliamentary system is that there are only two options. The republicans don't have to be more competent than anyone other than the democrats. That's it, that's the only condition. They have just have to try harder than a party which has written off 60% of states as unwinnable or not worth the effort.

If you think the American people are really going to go with GOP if they gently caress up. Well there’s a reason JBE rules Louisiana.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Crowsbeak posted:

If you think the American people are really going to go with GOP if they gently caress up. Well there’s a reason JBE rules Louisiana.

It's not like the gop, the politicians in it, or its policies and political agenda is popular, even among the people most likely to vote for them (white suburbanites), it's the fact that there isn't an alternative. In a choice between a political agenda you are opposed to and a party that won't advance it but also won't reverse it, you're eventually going to lose out simply via attrition.

To put it another way, the limiting factor to republican dominance is general moral repulsion of republican governance. Obviously one could choose not to vote at all if there isn't a suitable candidate or vote dem in the mistaken belief in harm reduction (which is literally the only democrat sales pitch) but in the post-Clinton era that has now twice led us to the point we find ourselves in 2022, where we voted for harm reduction and the harm has not been reduced. When that happens the gop will make gains by virtue of being the option that isn't "no things are fine actually"

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Excelzior posted:

I have no mouth, and I must scream

I have no jeb! And I must vote!

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status...ingawful.com%2F

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

LastInLine posted:

It's not like the gop, the politicians in it, or its policies and political agenda is popular, even among the people most likely to vote for them (white suburbanites), it's the fact that there isn't an alternative. In a choice between a political agenda you are opposed to and a party that won't advance it but also won't reverse it, you're eventually going to lose out simply via attrition.

To put it another way, the limiting factor to republican dominance is general moral repulsion of republican governance. Obviously one could choose not to vote at all if there isn't a suitable candidate or vote dem in the mistaken belief in harm reduction (which is literally the only democrat sales pitch) but in the post-Clinton era that has now twice led us to the point we find ourselves in 2022, where we voted for harm reduction and the harm has not been reduced. When that happens the gop will make gains by virtue of being the option that isn't "no things are fine actually"

Neither are the democrats. What it is that Capital likes two parties to enact its insanity. It works less well when you can’t just say the other party enacts the worst form of said policies to the respective voters. Also moral repulsion does the same for Republican voters. Material realities are the only way forward. And eliminating one of the mystifies gets us to that.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Crowsbeak posted:

Neither are the democrats. What it is that Capital likes two parties to enact its insanity. It works less well when you can’t just say the other party enacts the worst form of said policies to the respective voters. Also moral repulsion does the same for Republican voters. Material realities are the only way forward. And eliminating one of the mystifies gets us to that.

We have two bourgeois parties because Democrats and Republicans represent different sectors of Capital, not because it's some kind of competitive scheme. The fact Democrats are way worse at being a political party means they're more of a vestigial remnant of development interests which are no longer relevant.

This country has had periods of single-party rule before and it more or less did fine. It's not really necessary to maintain the appearance of pluralism, liberals just think it is.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

good idea, op

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
i'm cracking the gently caress up that Things Are Fine, This is The Best They Can Be has been dems only message since, 2012? 2016?

the Pangloss Party is going to get smashed in 2022

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Akshually, America is already great, you don't have to Make America Great Again.

But also, that message still resonated with a huge majority of voters because Trump was just that awful, it's just that the US electoral system is undemocratic.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Sharkie posted:

i'm cracking the gently caress up that Things Are Fine, This is The Best They Can Be has been dems only message since, 2012? 2016?

the Pangloss Party is going to get smashed in 2022

the democrats are a conservative party. they like the status quo and so their platform is that they will preserve the status quo. certain groups of democratic party voters and supporters, those for whom the status quo is working, like this as a platform and a party identity, and so they vote and donate. occasionally somebody comes along and tries to rally the party around a progressive message that the status quo is actually not fine, but the problem with that is that the most influential blocs within the democratic party think the status quo actually is fine and so they don't want it to change.

unfortunately for the democrats, for most of the country the status quo is not fine! it sucks poo poo!! and it should change!!!

unfortunately for the country, the world, and the human race, the only organized mass political force in the United States that says the status quo should change is the Republican Party, which likes to call itself "conservative" but is in fact reactionary/fascist depending on which republican you're talking about, because they want to drag society back to a prior state whether real or idealized, which means that anti-status-quo voters are left with the choice to either not vote or vote for the party that wants to make the status quo worse, because the supposed good guys are the ones telling people who are living hand to mouth that the status quo is just fine actually and nothing will fundamentally change and nor should it.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

vyelkin posted:

the democrats are a conservative party. they like the status quo and so their platform is that they will preserve the status quo. certain groups of democratic party voters and supporters, those for whom the status quo is working, like this as a platform and a party identity, and so they vote and donate. occasionally somebody comes along and tries to rally the party around a progressive message that the status quo is actually not fine, but the problem with that is that the most influential blocs within the democratic party think the status quo actually is fine and so they don't want it to change.

unfortunately for the democrats, for most of the country the status quo is not fine! it sucks poo poo!! and it should change!!!

unfortunately for the country, the world, and the human race, the only organized mass political force in the United States that says the status quo should change is the Republican Party, which likes to call itself "conservative" but is in fact reactionary/fascist depending on which republican you're talking about, because they want to drag society back to a prior state whether real or idealized, which means that anti-status-quo voters are left with the choice to either not vote or vote for the party that wants to make the status quo worse, because the supposed good guys are the ones telling people who are living hand to mouth that the status quo is just fine actually and nothing will fundamentally change and nor should it.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

We have two bourgeois parties because Democrats and Republicans represent different sectors of Capital, not because it's some kind of competitive scheme. The fact Democrats are way worse at being a political party means they're more of a vestigial remnant of development interests which are no longer relevant.

This country has had periods of single-party rule before and it more or less did fine. It's not really necessary to maintain the appearance of pluralism, liberals just think it is.

Single party rule came from the federalists making GBS threads the bed in becoming a secessionist party. Not from the forces of capital really deciding the country should become a single party state. The democrats definitely could have gone extinct after Cleveland, but they managed to pair the party of finance, southern racist revanchist , and the increasingly under attack ethnic political machines with farmers interests. If things had gone a bit differently. Say the traditional financial backers got their way the democrats could have been supplanted. Unlike the UK where I would say capital really does want Labour to die I don’t think there’s any where near that kind of planning going on here. It’s that the democrats like the federalists are making GBS threads the bed.

While there are other countries in the Americas have had officially sanctioned one party rule it should be noted these one party states generally were explicitly or at least implicitly under direction of foreign capital. Like Diaz in Mexico, or various times in Brazil and Argentina. The GOP is dominated by parts of capital that do not do well with foreign interference. Industrial, and to a lesser extraction. Both are if anything the form of capital that needs more explicit forms of imperialism to function both of which also risk the American Imperial States long term existence. Now I’ll add CCP has its dominance through the 2070s locked in but they unlike the financial capital dominated Dems will not as likely take well to this change.

Crowsbeak has issued a correction as of 03:02 on Dec 30, 2021

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

should should should should shouldn't should shouldn't

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Crowsbeak posted:

Single party rule came from the federalists making GBS threads the bed in becoming a secessionist party. Not from the forces of capital really deciding the country should become a single party state. The democrats definitely could have gone extinct after Cleveland, but they managed to pair the party of finance, southern racist revanchist , and the increasingly under attack ethnic political machines with farmers interests. If things had gone a bit differently. Say the traditional financial backers got their way the democrats could have been supplanted. Unlike the UK where I would say capital really does want Labour to die I don’t think there’s any where near that kind of planning going on here. It’s that the democrats like the federalists are making GBS threads the bed.

While there are other countries in the Americas have had officially sanctioned one party rule it should be noted these one party states generally were explicitly or at least implicitly under direction of foreign capital. Like Diaz in Mexico, or various times in Brazil and Argentina. The GOP is dominated by parts of capital that do not do well with foreign interference. Industrial, and to a lesser extraction. Both are if anything the form of capital that needs more explicit forms of imperialism to function both of which also risk the American Imperial States long term existence. Now I’ll add CCP has its dominance through the 2070s locked in but they unlike the financial capital dominated Dems will not as likely take well to this change.

I think you're trying to draw a meaningless distinction here. If Republicans are the only viable party in American politics, then that's one party rule. Even if it's not a de jure One Party State. Democrats falling by the wayside isn't part of any plan, it's the interests that back the Democratic party losing any sense of political vision. They already have everything they could want, and Republicans are ultimately a minor threat to their interests - so the Democratic party ends up becoming vestigial.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'm trying to remember midterm elections and how I felt

I remember how happy I was after the 2006 midterms. The fascist freeze had held our politics for so many years, as it seemed to my young mind, and it was slowly releasing its skeletal grip. Things were finally thawing. Of course the Dems only really won because of their bullshit ginned up ports scandal, but whatever.

Also 2010, the year the crazies went nuts because a black man was President. No young person today in 2021 can understand how truly insane 2010 was. It was all these people coming out of the woodwork for no reason other than Obama bad. And those people were fuckin sane compared to the new faces of the Republican party today. I'd drink 2010 out of an old shoe, compared to what 2022 is gonna be

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I think you're trying to draw a meaningless distinction here. If Republicans are the only viable party in American politics, then that's one party rule. Even if it's not a de jure One Party State. Democrats falling by the wayside isn't part of any plan, it's the interests that back the Democratic party losing any sense of political vision. They already have everything they could want, and Republicans are ultimately a minor threat to their interests - so the Democratic party ends up becoming vestigial.

I’d disagree there. Finance is in charge and the Republicans being a war mongering bunch of psychopaths definitely fucks up a lot of plans. And that warmongering is done for the GOP backers.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My fear is that the Democratic Party will be damaged in the midterms, but not as hard as they deserve.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Goddamn America

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

My fear is that the Democratic Party will be damaged in the midterms, but not as hard as they deserve.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Brrrmph posted:

Goddamn America

Fuckin demon cracker nation

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Crowsbeak posted:

I’d disagree there. Finance is in charge and the Republicans being a war mongering bunch of psychopaths definitely fucks up a lot of plans. And that warmongering is done for the GOP backers.

Financial markets were doing fine with Trump as president, until they hit the wall with Covid. A lot of what Trump accomplished was just proving that the President can be a crazy shithead, and it still won't change anything.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
jerome powel is still head of the federal reserve, crypto is the defacto deregulation of the finance industry, and democrats will never fail to perform their one remaining act of political economy: passing war budgets. the parties only matter insofar as the ratings drop and people start imagining non-electoral solutions to their immiseration or someone with ambition tries to become the first american emperor

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I wish this right wing party being destroyed didn't entail a fascist party becoming empowered. But, you know, America

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
love it or leave it, buddy

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/MarketWatch/status/1476234293525553158?s=20

As much as I hate to admit it, and I really don't want to see it happen. But Michelle Obama could easily win 2024.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Michelle Obama and her running mate Tim Kaine

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Also 2010, the year the crazies went nuts because a black man was President. No young person today in 2021 can understand how truly insane 2010 was. It was all these people coming out of the woodwork for no reason other than Obama bad. And those people were fuckin sane compared to the new faces of the Republican party today. I'd drink 2010 out of an old shoe, compared to what 2022 is gonna be

i tuned into glenn beck's radio show the day after the election and it was a morning zoo whirlwind of mocking people like russ feingold. then russ lost by a larger margin in 2016 against literally the dumbest man in congress, dumber than louie gohmert

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

As much as I hate to admit it, and I really don't want to see it happen. But Michelle Obama could easily win 2024.

not even close. ghwb '88 numbers. she knows it too. fully insulated from anything that has gone wrong since 2017

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I was born in January 1988. I couldn't loving tell you who was the best President of my lifetime: they were all loving monsters who should be sent to The Hague.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

I was born in January 1988. I couldn't loving tell you who was the best President of my lifetime: they were all loving monsters who should be sent to The Hague.

no there must be a clear gradient that is argued over continually. is clinton's second term more insidious than hw's first? we will find out itt

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

the last wife-of-a-president who ran as the liberal hopeful lost to Donald Trump of all people so why would this time be any different?

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
*just walks away from dcfs responsibility*

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"its a con anyway"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

bedpan posted:

the last wife-of-a-president who ran as the liberal hopeful lost to Donald Trump of all people so why would this time be any different?

Because Michelle has charisma and Hillary doesn't.