Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I did like how the whole arrow to the face thing and him going "There, now we can talk" makes it seem like the earlier dreams weren't really that personal, more of a general broadcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009

CainFortea posted:

I did like how the whole arrow to the face thing and him going "There, now we can talk" makes it seem like the earlier dreams weren't really that personal, more of a general broadcast.

I do wish there had been more dreams throughout the season, particularly in the last few episodes.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

jng2058 posted:

Hence why the whole confrontation was happening in their heads. Neither Rand nor Moiraine see Ishy until they're touching the seal. Notice that when Ishy shields Moiraine, the color of his weave is entirely white...not the white covered by black that the show uses to indicate Saidin. It's the white of Saidar. He's mentally manipulating her into shielding herself. Likewise when Rand balefires Ishy, he doesn't actually hit him....because Ishy isn't really there. He hits the seal, which is what blows the hole open that Moiraine and Lan find after the fact. And also why Ishy's got that poo poo eating grin on as he "dies" because he's manipulated Rand into doing what he wants...to weaken the seal.

People have already pointed out that the Dark One shields the Forsaken from the Taint, but your theory doesn't work anyway simply because saidin isn't saidar. Moiraine would instantly have known if she was shielding herself because she would be able to see the weaves.

Also it was mentioned several times before you even posted that balefire can't destroy cuendillar, but I'd like to hear your explanation of how Rand shot balefire directly in front of him and somehow managed to hit the floor he was standing on.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Probably the same way the seals in the book just start crumbling. They get all paranoid about them breaking by hand after a while.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I wonder if it will be commented on but I want to know the writers room logic behind Moiraine giving Rand a "sa'angreal" out of nowhere. My questions are 1) literally where did it come from, the White Tower? Just picked up during her travels? 2) how would she or anyone besides a male channeler know it's a male sa'angreal? 3) why make it a sa'angreal, unless they're just doing away with the idea of angreal vs sa'angreal in general and just making the distinction objects that let you channler more power vs objects that do something specific. In general I understand why they have to make changes to the structure of the story but I want to know more about these small changes that seem to cause more questions than just keeping it the same as in the book.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Also, Rand just has that now, I guess. He's gonna be walking around with a sa'angreal that literally multiplies his power a hundred times.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

He did in the books too. He loved the poo poo out of the Buddha statue.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Yeah but he didn't get it until finding it in the Great Holding in book 4 and apparently it is the only known male angreal in the books.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I wonder if it will be commented on but I want to know the writers room logic behind Moiraine giving Rand a "sa'angreal" out of nowhere. My questions are 1) literally where did it come from, the White Tower? Just picked up during her travels? 2) how would she or anyone besides a male channeler know it's a male sa'angreal? 3) why make it a sa'angreal, unless they're just doing away with the idea of angreal vs sa'angreal in general and just making the distinction objects that let you channler more power vs objects that do something specific. In general I understand why they have to make changes to the structure of the story but I want to know more about these small changes that seem to cause more questions than just keeping it the same as in the book.

The writers room logic makes perfect sense to me. It's a way for Rand to do way more than he will do for the next few books while doubling as a good time to explain angreal. Essentially the Eye in the books is just used as a single use sa'angreal anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if the one Moiraine gave him is broken/gone by next season. It might well have somehow been consumed by what he did already. I tried watching for it but didn't see it after Ishamael vanished. Though i haven't gone back to double check.

That would leave the question of why Moiraine had it in the first place but its certainly not outside the realm of possibility that the tower just has some angreal, sa'angreal, and maybe even ter'angreal that only men can use in some dusty old storeroom and that Moiraine just purloined one.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Rythian posted:

Also, Rand just has that now, I guess. He's gonna be walking around with a sa'angreal that literally multiplies his power a hundred times.

After he blows up Ishy in a flash of light, his hands appear to be empty. I guess maybe he overloaded it and destroyed it.

It's still dumb because it heavily undercuts the point of Callandor, but whatevs,

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

We’ve probably thought about it more than the showrunners. It’s like they want to shove in as many book references into the show just to get nerd credit or some poo poo.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Yeah but he didn't get it until finding it in the Great Holding in book 4 and apparently it is the only known male angreal in the books.

Bayle Domon probably had one, but it gets confiscated by the Seanchan and probably seized by Semihrage.

And, of course, an angreal is a different than a sa'angreal by a factor of ten or so. Rand needed the raw power of the fat man angreal to be on the same level as the more skilled forsaken.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Invalid Validation posted:

We’ve probably thought about it more than the showrunners. It’s like they want to shove in as many book references into the show just to get nerd credit or some poo poo.

That's kinda the thing of it, I want to know if they had these kind of conversations because as I said earlier, making some changes for the different medium and limited time/budget sits fine with me. Making the Eye a ruined location and not the magical traveling grove of trees and a Nym makes sense to me and ultimately doesn't change the overall course of the story. But making a change like they did with shielding/whatever to Moiraine has weird implications for the story down the road, and I want to know what kind of conversations went on in justifying them. Of course if they can deliver on what they're doing all is forgiven.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

We've got a Siuan confirmation in S2.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The position "Oh, they just didn't think about it all" is an untenable one because you aren't there and you have no idea what they talked about or thought about, and until the entire show is over you can't really know. vOv.

Also given how Moiraine says that a bunch of male channelers put their power into it, it seems pretty clear that it was taking over the mechanics of the book Eye of the World. Which also sorta comes up way later in the wells that Cadsuane and Nyneave use.

The idea of a split between Angreal and Sa'Angreal was sorta weird anyway, so maybe they're making sa'angreal like some kind of well/angreal mix.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
New Spring is pretty good. I'm enjoying it but I'm looking forward to finding out how Moraine and Lan meet and he becomes her warder. I hope that's explained in the book.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

new spring is basically entirely about that, you're in luck

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Hollismason posted:

New Spring is pretty good. I'm enjoying it but I'm looking forward to finding out how Moraine and Lan meet and he becomes her warder. I hope that's explained in the book.

Yea, once you read about their meeting, you will know why [show reference]I laughed so hard when Lan kept telling Moiraine that the bath tub could be warmer

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Also it’s definitely not how you’re picturing it - it’s better. Hilariously better.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Jedit posted:

People have already pointed out that the Dark One shields the Forsaken from the Taint, but your theory doesn't work anyway simply because saidin isn't saidar. Moiraine would instantly have known if she was shielding herself because she would be able to see the weaves.

Also it was mentioned several times before you even posted that balefire can't destroy cuendillar, but I'd like to hear your explanation of how Rand shot balefire directly in front of him and somehow managed to hit the floor he was standing on.

Rules of the book are clearly different from the TV show. Moraine was apparently holding onto a sa'angreal that worked for both male and female channelers, something that doesn't exist in the books. So that scene is already impossible using book logic.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

Rules of the book are clearly different from the TV show. Moraine was apparently holding onto a sa'angreal that worked for both male and female channelers, something that doesn't exist in the books. So that scene is already impossible using book logic.

Why do you believe it works for both?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

It's kinda wild to see congressmen tweet about the show

https://twitter.com/tedlieu/status/1476299388892811266

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

CainFortea posted:

Why do you believe it works for both?

Because she didn't know who would be the dragon and whether they would be male or female.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Nitrousoxide posted:

Because she didn't know who would be the dragon and whether they would be male or female.

That's funny, because she was specifically asked what she would do if it had ended up being Egwene. Which means it didn't work for both. And she avoided answering. (Which probably also means she already had her suspicions that it was a male.)

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Slow to get to this thread. My thoughts:

The bad:
- "Killing" Loial for a non-book-reader gut punch was a really stupid loving decision

It was bad all around. I don't even think it was a gut punch for the non-readers because Loial hadn't done anything of consequence on the show to establish a connection with the audience. If he just disappeared I don't think anyone would wonder where he was.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Hughmoris posted:

It was bad all around. I don't even think it was a gut punch for the non-readers because Loial hadn't done anything of consequence on the show to establish a connection with the audience. If he just disappeared I don't think anyone would wonder where he was.

What? Every single non-reader i've spoken to has adored Loial. He's a very popular character.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I seriously doubt that Loial is dead. Although it does appear that he's been injured by Shadar logoth or a Mydraals blade which isn't good.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I'm pretty sure Rafe has specifically answered that question in a recent interview, Loial is not dead.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

That's kinda the thing of it, I want to know if they had these kind of conversations because as I said earlier, making some changes for the different medium and limited time/budget sits fine with me. Making the Eye a ruined location and not the magical traveling grove of trees and a Nym makes sense to me and ultimately doesn't change the overall course of the story. But making a change like they did with shielding/whatever to Moiraine has weird implications for the story down the road, and I want to know what kind of conversations went on in justifying them. Of course if they can deliver on what they're doing all is forgiven.
Brandon Sanderson went into the thinking behind incapacitating Moiraine in his live viewing of episode 8. Basically, Moiraine doesn't really have too much to do in book 2, so they wanted/needed some kind of story arc for her (and Lan). This is apparently what they decided on. Personally, I am convinced that she has a tied off shield that will be untied with the help of Siuan and maybe Rand. But until she gets there, she will have to deal with not being able to channel and Lan will have to deal with the bond being permanently blocked.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

DTurtle posted:

Brandon Sanderson went into the thinking behind incapacitating Moiraine in his live viewing of episode 8. Basically, Moiraine doesn't really have too much to do in book 2, so they wanted/needed some kind of story arc for her (and Lan). This is apparently what they decided on. Personally, I am convinced that she has a tied off shield that will be untied with the help of Siuan and maybe Rand. But until she gets there, she will have to deal with not being able to channel and Lan will have to deal with the bond being permanently blocked.

Yeah she doesn't really do anything in like 1 or 2 books. She's kind of just there.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah do people kind of collectively forget how moiraine is pretty much involved in fuckall other than sacrificing herself and then popping back up way later into the series at which point she barely interacts with anyone or does all that much

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The actual substantial things she does before she suplexes Lanfear is drive Rand away and balefire Be'lal

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
And teaches rand the Game.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

is anyone betting on be'lal even being in the show. i don't remember which names were even mentioned in that scene with stepin.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

And teaches rand the Game.

That was more Thom. He didn't trust her and wouldn't listen to her until after she dies for him. Moiraine even thinks about Thom doing it when Rand puts the sword back in the stone.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

No, after she swore her oath he started listening to her drone on about the game of houses too

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

CainFortea posted:

That was more Thom. He didn't trust her and wouldn't listen to her until after she dies for him. Moiraine even thinks about Thom doing it when Rand puts the sword back in the stone.

That's not true, she gets him to trust her when they're in the Aiel wastes by swearing an oath to obey him. It doesn't fully work, because, I mean, Rand, but he listens to what she has to say and relief on it later.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

CainFortea posted:

Cavelcade posted:

That's not true, she gets him to trust her when they're in the Aiel wastes by swearing an oath to obey him. It doesn't fully work, because, I mean, Rand, but he listens to what she has to say and relief on it later.

Both of these are kindof true but there's also a scene where Moiraine convinces Thom to stay and teach Rand, too. There's layers.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Both of these are kindof true but there's also a scene where Moiraine convinces Thom to stay and teach Rand, too. There's layers.

Yeah pretty much, but it's a lot Moiraine after she realizes she's going to die and that she hosed up how to handle Rand.

But yeah she doesn't get a lot to do up until the end of Book3, if you're talking TV plot movement.