Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
My 6 week old thankfully has not exhibited any more of the colickiness from two weeks ago. However, she is now acting very fussy. She's extremely hard to put down to sleep during the day, although mercifully she's sleeping fairly well at night. The only way to calm her seems to be to either feed her or hold her and be in constant motion (more motion than a rocking chair I might add). The only activities that seem work reliably are holding her while bouncing vigorously on an exercise ball or going for a walk in the Baby Bjorn, both of which are not sustainable over long periods of time.

Anyone have any similar experiences or have any suggestions for how to calm a baby down? It has been pretty draining the last few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My oldest was like that. It's just a baby being a baby. You could try and see if they're gassy?

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
Negative PCR tests, thank goodness. Toddler can now shake her head for no and say "yeah" when we ask her questions, it's nice to have a better idea of what she wants and doesn't want. But sometimes we DO have to get off the swings to go home if we've been swinging on them for ages. Sorry, kid!

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

drainpipe posted:

My 6 week old thankfully has not exhibited any more of the colickiness from two weeks ago. However, she is now acting very fussy. She's extremely hard to put down to sleep during the day, although mercifully she's sleeping fairly well at night. The only way to calm her seems to be to either feed her or hold her and be in constant motion (more motion than a rocking chair I might add). The only activities that seem work reliably are holding her while bouncing vigorously on an exercise ball or going for a walk in the Baby Bjorn, both of which are not sustainable over long periods of time.

Anyone have any similar experiences or have any suggestions for how to calm a baby down? It has been pretty draining the last few days.

Oh hey I remember this phase.

Noise cancelling headphones. Wear them to stop the screams from destroying your hearing even if you're not listening to anything, I swear mine gave me tinnitus in my previously good ear.

Other than that yes it sucks. You're building trust and helping her learn how to calm down but it will seem like forever

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

drainpipe posted:

The only activities that seem work reliably are holding her while bouncing vigorously on an exercise ball or going for a walk in the Baby Bjorn, both of which are not sustainable over long periods of time.

I lost like 20 lbs during the newborn phase partially because of doing exactly this for extended periods of time.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Ok, good (?) to hear that this is normal. It just seems concerning that she doesn’t get much sleep during the day. Like I said, we’re thankful as hell that she seems to sleep at night alright.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Your baby was an aquatic creature for 40 weeks and it's having to learn to breathe air, deal with gravity, eat, fart etc in the last six weeks. It's gonna be cranky. Ours didn't learn to burp or fart for about five weeks.

It will pass. Try to keep the baby happy and you sane. Most good baby books recommend having a glass or two of wine to get through the day for a reason

Things improve a lot after six weeks to two months, you're almost in there, just hang on

Ours only slept for 35-45 minutes between feedings, I played a lot of Hades on Nintendo Switch as reach run though/level is only about 30 minutes and let the baby nap next to me. Whatever it takes to survive

Edit: another way to get your life back is to strap them in the car seat and go get Starbucks from the drive through. Three towns over. Babies sleep great in the car and you can have your life back as long as the car is in motion

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Dec 30, 2021

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

drainpipe posted:

Ok, good (?) to hear that this is normal. It just seems concerning that she doesn’t get much sleep during the day. Like I said, we’re thankful as hell that she seems to sleep at night alright.

I used a baby swing to get that nice rocking motion you’re giving her with the ball/walk.

Some kids hate it though, but my dude spent a lot of time in there. I used the snug a boo.

I used it so much the motor controller died and I asked them to send me a new one, which they did.

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

:dukedog:
College Slice

drainpipe posted:

My partner and I would actually be dead if not for the baby Bjorne bouncer. Best damned gift I ever got.

https://www.babybjorn.com/baby-boun...lightgray-frame

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah can confirm, the baby Bjorn is a great device

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
My toddler has recently understood that I have a job, and that my job is a nurse. She also knows that breastfeeding is called nursing. When she sees me in my “nursing pajamas” (scrubs), she asks if I’m going to the hospital to feed the doctors. She thinks my job is to breastfeed doctors.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

Koivunen posted:

My toddler has recently understood that I have a job, and that my job is a nurse. She also knows that breastfeeding is called nursing. When she sees me in my “nursing pajamas” (scrubs), she asks if I’m going to the hospital to feed the doctors. She thinks my job is to breastfeed doctors.

That is the most hilarious toddler interpretation of a thing in the entire world and I hope you tell all of her future friends and romantic partners about it.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Several days ago, wife got super ill. Two days ago, about 3 days after her, I got super ill. I haven't felt this lovely in years. Yesterday, #4 fell asleep on me most of the afternoon. Today #3 is whiny and sleeping on and off.

Based on symptoms and timeline I'm gonna guess we've got omicron. Don't feel well enough to drive anywhere for a test and at home kits are unavailable until mid January. This is gonna be a fun couple of weeks. :smith:

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

D34THROW posted:

Several days ago, wife got super ill. Two days ago, about 3 days after her, I got super ill. I haven't felt this lovely in years. Yesterday, #4 fell asleep on me most of the afternoon. Today #3 is whiny and sleeping on and off.

Based on symptoms and timeline I'm gonna guess we've got omicron. Don't feel well enough to drive anywhere for a test and at home kits are unavailable until mid January. This is gonna be a fun couple of weeks. :smith:

Probably not new info but buy a cheapo pulse Oximeter and keep an eye on everyone if they’re out of breath, go to ER if so.

Zacurate 500BL Fingertip Pulse Oximeter Blood Oxygen Saturation Monitor with Batteries and Lanyard Included (Navy Blue) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y2FFQB9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_913T59P9CDH2PEVPGQ0D

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Koivunen posted:

This is amazing.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Baby did a great job falling asleep through all the fireworks at 12 AM, but fifteen minutes later when my knee cracks walking around with him we get a meltdown.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

My baby has decided that until now she's been too easygoing and pleasant so she's taken to throwing her food. I don't mean little baby throws, she gets a good windup and does a full over arm throw in various directions. This was after being so messy that I bought a whole new highchair that was easier to clean plus plastic mats to go underneath. These plastic mats are now useless, I either need 10 more to cover the whole dining area or some sort of mesh cage to keep her in with a little slot to toss in food.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

space uncle posted:

Probably not new info but buy a cheapo pulse Oximeter and keep an eye on everyone if they’re out of breath, go to ER if so.

Zacurate 500BL Fingertip Pulse Oximeter Blood Oxygen Saturation Monitor with Batteries and Lanyard Included (Navy Blue) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y2FFQB9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_913T59P9CDH2PEVPGQ0D

Sadly it's a bit late for that, as with getting hold of rapid tests. Pretty much anything COVID-related is likely to be completely out of stock until mid-January if not February.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Tagichatn posted:

My baby has decided that until now she's been too easygoing and pleasant so she's taken to throwing her food. I don't mean little baby throws, she gets a good windup and does a full over arm throw in various directions. This was after being so messy that I bought a whole new highchair that was easier to clean plus plastic mats to go underneath. These plastic mats are now useless, I either need 10 more to cover the whole dining area or some sort of mesh cage to keep her in with a little slot to toss in food.

File under: reasons why I don't understand anyone ever thought carpet in homes was a good idea

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Hadlock posted:

File under: reasons why I don't understand anyone ever thought carpet in homes was a good idea

We had light tan carpet in our dining room when we moved in. It's now hardwood.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Can someone give me suggestions on a bottle that does not require a straw to drink? We've been using OXO Tot Transitions Straw Cup but the little one bites through all the straws and we've replaced them three times at this point. Basically anything with a straw will be a chew toy. It's about time she transitions out of that anyway, she's almost three. She seems to do well with bottles that you can just tilt up and suck on. It also helps a lot with spilling, sometimes she drops the bottle in the car. The less parts to clean would be better. I don't think I care about insulation that much, but it wouldn't hurt.

If not, what are you guys using that works well?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

My twins love the Munchin 360 cups. Easy to clean, no straws, relatively spill free.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Mind_Taker posted:

My twins love the Munchin 360 cups. Easy to clean, no straws, relatively spill free.

:same:

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mind_Taker posted:

These things are amazing. They aren't perfect - definitely a little spillage when dropped on a hard surface, and over time they lose efficacy (like after 12-18 months) - but we love them so much, I've even got my accident-prone parents using them for their drinks.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Semi-joke option: just go all in on some duralex picardie glasses in a small size and let her revel in using grown up glasses. They’re tough and tempered. We’ve never broken one (despite them being dropped on tile and clanked on stone) but they don’t get sharp if they do break.

We have a motley bunch of 360 and straw cups in this house and they’re a surprisingly great addition.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

BadSamaritan posted:

Semi-joke option: just go all in on some duralex picardie glasses in a small size and let her revel in using grown up glasses. They’re tough and tempered. We’ve never broken one (despite them being dropped on tile and clanked on stone) but they don’t get sharp if they do break.

We have a motley bunch of 360 and straw cups in this house and they’re a surprisingly great addition.

This. People keep underestimating their kids.

Our kid never really got used to use sippy cups. At ca 10 months old (can't remember), we found it only took a couple of days for her to grasp the concept of drinking from a plastic cup without a lid. We transitioned to rugged Duralex-like glasses when she stopped throwing cups around, at ca 18 months, and she hasn't even dropped one since then. At 3, she's already on the "adult" glasses and was drinking (milk) from a wine glass at Christmas and NYE dinners.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I was surprised to see my nephew's daycare/preschool had kids drinking out of 4-5 oz glass cups at 18 months. Not some of the kids, all of them

Ours at 14 months still on her own dumps the water down her chest 95% of the time but with a buddy system she happily drinks ice water, juice milk etc from an adult glass. The larger the glass and more full it is, the better it seems, it doesn't need to rotate as close to 90 degrees to get liquid from the cup to her mouth

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Our 2.5yo started using glass cups around 1.5, though only recently have we started putting milk in one since spills do still happen. There tends to be less messy fooling around/dripping with it though. Easier to clean, too, and the picardies are nicely angled so they don’t have to tip it too steeply to drink. I’m a stickler for tempered glass though because toddler.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Yeah, out of our four kids, I think only #1 even bothered with sippy cups. All the others only wanted to use what everyone else was using, i.e. regular cups or glasses.

Similar story with food. #1 got a fairly relaxed sort of baby-led weaning deal where we prepare stuff specially for him. #2 through #4 were basically like "I'll have what he's having, RIGHT NOW" starting at 6 months.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Our son's daycare has a rule that all children have to use adult cutlery so they all drink from glasses, eat off normal breakable plates etc. He's been drinking from a glass since he was 6 months old and it took him until like 2.5 to get the hang of using a drink bottle with a nozzle.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Thanks for the suggestions on the cup. Our kiddo knows how to use regular cups for dinner and such, but I was more concerned with car rides. Her seat doesn't have a cup holder (really?), so we needed something that she could accidentally drop without spilling. Basically, we have this thing like a squirt bottle and she places it in between her legs or on her side while we drive around.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I don't even totally trust myself using real glass.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Mind_Taker posted:

"Relatively spill free" until your toddler decides that it's more fun to turn it over and slam it repeatedly on the floor to make oat milk puddles.

Tomorrow the ogre toddler goes back to daycare and resumes full days. Wish them the best of luck.

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

Today we got an email from daycare that if a kid shows any symptoms whatsoever, they’ll be sent home unless you can get a doctor’s note. Our son has had a stuffy nose literally since he started daycare, so I’m looking forward to trying to get him covid tested every week.

I don’t suppose anyone has found any at-home tests that are approved for kids under 2?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

We had to break out a spare of The One Stuffed Animal today.

We broke a jar right next to the toy (he'd left it in the kitchen and was in the other room when my clumsy rear end knocked the jar over) and after spending like 10 minutes pulling glass shards out of it I just said fuckit and grabbed a spare one from the closet.

The kid was very suspicious because about 20 minutes before he'd been chewing on the ear.....so he went and grabbed a water bottle and poured water on the ears so they would be wet and then happily accepted the replacement when it had the right texture.

Crisis averted. Somehow.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Oh, just bringing a lamp up from the basement so we can enjoy some nice lighting after the rowdy kids go to bed. Perfectly normal, just our speakeasy floor lamp.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

L0cke17 posted:

Crisis averted. Somehow.

For anyone reading this, the trick is to get three of whatever stuffie ends up being their favorite. They only, only ever know about the existence of one of them, but when it needs to be washed or whatever you throw the other two right in there with it. This will impart the necessary level of softness from multiple wash cycles to fool them with a replacement as it should be as worn as the primary.

And if you got this far and laughed at the necessary effort and said “gently caress that I’m not doing that” you are right there with me on how to parent. But that is how you could do it!

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I gifted our son my old The One Stuffed Animal, a blue dinosaur toy named, creatively enough, Bluey. Thing is easily 34 years old.

He spent three minutes gleefully throwing him around the room before I broke down and moved him back to a place of safety.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
This feels like a stupid question, but will a 6 month old forget about her dad over a week or so? How well are babies at this age even able to differentiate between people anyway?

My wife, daughter, and I are currently visiting in-laws for new years, but I might have to go home a week or so before we originally planned to. That would mean leaving my wife and daughter behind for that long, and it's got me a little worried.

Ever since our daughter was born, I've been holding her a bit more and sooner after she cries than my wife, since my wife is more on the "cry it out" side of things. This has lead her to becoming a bit of a daddy's girl, where I can often get her to calm down a lot faster than my wife can. I'm afraid that leaving our daughter behind for a week might cause her to forget me a little, or maybe cause her some stress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Spoggerific posted:

my wife is more on the "cry it out" side of things.

You may want to reconsider your position on this if you ever want your life back starting in about three months. Goonspeed sire