Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

hello internet posted:

I find the whole "Everyone being nice and holding hands" poo poo really obnoxious in this game (of all games) so I go out of my way to be nice and blast people in the face when they drop their guard.

I'm torn because hand holding koombaya tarkov is weird to me, but I also hates liars.

Like if you're gonna shoot, shoot. Don't talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

my friend gifted me the Prepare to Escape version for christmas and I'm now getting around to installing it. Perhaps my 200 hours of STALKER Anomaly/other sperg mods will finally do me some good

e: is discord authing still down

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Dec 29, 2021

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

sinburger posted:

I'm torn because hand holding koombaya tarkov is weird to me, but I also hates liars.

Like if you're gonna shoot, shoot. Don't talk.

"Friendly?"

"No, prepare to die"

At least there was honesty when I went to repair stuff for Mechanice on Factory.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Lol. Set up the laptop todo the 22 hours of drop watching on twitch.

Got 5 esmarches 1 psu 1 double barreled shotgun, 2 medical tools, and one other bit of absolute garbage

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

BrotherJayne posted:

Lol. Set up the laptop todo the 22 hours of drop watching on twitch.

Got 5 esmarches 1 psu 1 double barreled shotgun, 2 medical tools, and one other bit of absolute garbage

Yeah, my "rare" drop was 3 wires. The drops this year were clearly nefred, I will miss having a keytool/doc case.

Oh well gotta hunt Shturman.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Nutsak posted:

Got picked on a lot in school, huh.

No, not at all. I'm typically the type of person will to work with random but after playing this game for almost 4 years, the current "Everyone is friendly and helping each other" meta goes against the core of what this game is about in my opinion.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

hello internet posted:

No, not at all. I'm typically the type of person will to work with random but after playing this game for almost 4 years, the current "Everyone is friendly and helping each other" meta goes against the core of what this game is about in my opinion.

If voip was in the game from the beginning it would be like this for four years too, sounds like you're trying to make the game a purely PvP shooter game in your head.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

hello internet posted:

Nikita has plans for it to go further. It'll be real fun if they ever implement the faction rep. Couldn't tell that was another USEC from 150 meters with a red dot? Too bad!

I like the chillness for scav runs at least.

Orv
May 4, 2011

hello internet posted:

The game was always supposed to be more Day-Z roleplaying server than CoD With Loot and VOIP is just the first step towards that and it's only going to get harder to play it as a purely PvP DM game. It's just taken them forever to get here through a unique blend of the devs mostly being amateurs (not necessarily incompetent, just learning as they go) and the community that has sprung up around Tarkov being very, very loud and hard to appease, though they keep trying.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Orv posted:

The game was always supposed to be more Day-Z roleplaying server than CoD With Loot and VOIP is just the first step towards that and it's only going to get harder to play it as a purely PvP DM game. It's just taken them forever to get here through a unique blend of the devs mostly being amateurs (not necessarily incompetent, just learning as they go) and the community that has sprung up around Tarkov being very, very loud and hard to appease, though they keep trying.

it's probably out of the amount of repetition up to this point which has formed my opinion of what the game is "supposed to be about". I've always though of it as a mini condensed dayz/diabloesque looter shooter that's kill or be killed. I'm sure as the game continues to develop, so will my expectations of the community.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

hello internet posted:

disaster anarchism vs disaster capitalism

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

Tarkov is about doing the handholding poo poo and then murdering your friends for their gas analyzer.
Never completely trust someone.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
This is my MP STALKER.

Also scavs with decent ranged guns are wild right now.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Gazaar posted:

This is my MP STALKER.

Lol yeah I enjoy the wildcard scavs to be honest.
They don't seem to have great aim so it's more of a startling random pop-shot than an insta death in my experience so far this wipe. Also, it seems like the sniper scavs intentionally target limbs now.

Nutsak
Jul 21, 2005
All balls.

hello internet posted:

it's probably out of the amount of repetition up to this point which has formed my opinion of what the game is "supposed to be about". I've always though of it as a mini condensed dayz/diabloesque looter shooter that's kill or be killed. I'm sure as the game continues to develop, so will my expectations of the community.

The game has changed regardless of your opinions. If you can get over the idea that "holding hands" and being nice is obnoxious you'd probably have more fun. Lying to people and killing them makes you look like an edge lord internet tough guy. It's akin to a toddler not liking some other kids sandcastle and kicking it over.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
The ultimate design for tarkov is still to be one giant map that you have to get through in one run yeah? I can imagine that when that comes in you'll basically never win unless you work closely with your faction

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
I've played a lot of Rust over the last few years and a lot of potential in that game is lost because the player base has a kill on site mentality. I think it's good that people are more cooperative in Tarkov.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

abigserve posted:

The ultimate design for tarkov is still to be one giant map that you have to get through in one run yeah? I can imagine that when that comes in you'll basically never win unless you work closely with your faction

I thought they walked back/starting moving away from the "persistent overworld" idea but I could be mistaken.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Gazaar posted:

This is my MP STALKER.

I had a scav blast me through a small hole in a window on customs yesterday. First shot missed, second and third didn’t and there wasn’t time for me to do poo poo about it. He yelled and then I was dead. To be fair, I’m low level and in poo poo gear so the crazy scavs are wrecking me every now and then. Solo is definitely brutal at the moment.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
Just had the best scav experience ever.

I loaded into reserve somewhere in hills and tanks and poo poo on the south side of the map. I run over with just a shotgun in the direction of black bishop. I hear some footsteps and call out "SCAB?" and I peak, see a pmc and line up the best shotgun shot in the head in my life so far. In the same second as me pulling the trigger I hear "uhhmm" on voip just as I blow this guy away.

Hes absolutely lloaded with poo poo a dml, a scar and a bunch of poo poo I've never even seen before. He had the super long pmc backpack so it was wonky fitting my poo poo with his. I got a 2 new sets of armor and two helmets plus a bunch of mags and meds. I start to leave thinking I'll go to hole in the wall by the mountain and suddenly stop when I see 6 dead bodies right next to where this guy died. Whatever must have happened had to be amazing for this guy to come out of on top, only to die to my dumbass.

There were at least 3 dogtags I took away that I stuck around to checkout. I got a little nervous and decided I needed to split. I dropped the level 4 dogtag, I kept the 20 I killed, and kept a 16 I found in the pile. My only regret is not screenshotting the scene. It was literally bodies on bodies. in like 6 feet of each other.

I think I'm just going to break down and sell all this poo poo except for the dml, which I now have 6 mags for.

SnoochtotheNooch fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 30, 2021

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
^^^ Congrats, dude. I've had a couple of those Zen scav moments but nothing as profitable. Now don't be afraid to use that gear on your PMC!

DrPop posted:

I thought they walked back/starting moving away from the "persistent overworld" idea but I could be mistaken.
They'll probably have to switch engines to do that from what my friends have told me, and to that I say good loving luck. I personally think the current format works better than any attempt to make Tarkov a mash-up of DayZ and Dark Souls.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 30, 2021

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
My only real problem with VOIP right now is that I'm not used it it being an option and keep forgetting to use it. Several deaths could have been avoided if I had just talked to the other guy.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Kikas posted:

"Friendly?"

"No, prepare to die"

At least there was honesty when I went to repair stuff for Mechanice on Factory.

I had a funny moment like this today on Interchange. I’m walking around Oli trying to find my way out as a PMC, and some guy behind a shelf goes “Are you a friendly scav?” I pause for a second and go “no” and there’s a pregnant pause until I hear him running away so I come out from behind the shelf and shotgun him in the back of the head like an rear end in a top hat.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I found my first-ever in-the-wild GPU tonight scaving Interchange and got extract-camped at Railway by a fellow scav :argh:

I can't believe I ran all the way from Oli to Railway because I was suspecting campers at Emercom haha

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Dec 30, 2021

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

I had a funny moment like this today on Interchange. I’m walking around Oli trying to find my way out as a PMC, and some guy behind a shelf goes “Are you a friendly scav?” I pause for a second and go “no” and there’s a pregnant pause until I hear him running away so I come out from behind the shelf and shotgun him in the back of the head like an rear end in a top hat.

If this actually happened to me I wouldn't even be mad, that's actually hilarious

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

There are airdrops now
https://clips.twitch.tv/ComfortablePolishedSproutRaccAttack-2kUy1FZXj7bkCUZA

https://twitter.com/DiggiDawid/status/1476550750012641283/photo/1

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

god dammit i killed myself so often going for those in pubg... this will be so much worse. i literally cannot say no

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Creating fights outside of traditional choke points would be fun as hell

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
The amount of errors and crashes at the moment is nuts. I don't remember other wipes being like this. In fact it seemed better a couple of weeks ago.

VVVVVVV I think sometimes it repeats previously expired ones and those will kick you to the main screen.

Incoming Chinchilla fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 30, 2021

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

The amount of errors and crashes at the moment is nuts. I don't remember other wipes being like this. In fact it seemed better a couple of weeks ago.

Yeah I crashed twice a few minutes ago just trying to see what my dailies were.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
Had an airdrop land basically on my path on the way to extraction, boy was I glad I found a pilgrim right beforehand

https://streamable.com/o6y53p

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Umbreon posted:

Had an airdrop land basically on my path on the way to extraction, boy was I glad I found a pilgrim right beforehand

Hi friend who also has PTT bound to some kind of in-game key.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Umbreon posted:

Holy crap that's a lot of good stuff. Is this just an event or is it a feature of the game now?

hazzlebarth
May 13, 2013

hello internet posted:

Holy crap that's a lot of good stuff. Is this just an event or is it a feature of the game now?

The airdrops are here to stay, at least according to Pestily. But they already seem to have turned down the frequency, earlier there were 2 drops in 1 raid, now I had a couple of raids without any drop.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

drat holy gently caress those air drops aren't kidding around, one dropped pretty much right in front of me and I couldn't stick around long enough for all the stuff to load in so I panicked and grabbed what I could and ran.

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

Lighthouse and catching a wipe early pulled me back into this dang game and tonight reminded me of why I play this, even if I'm extremely bad at the shooting part of it. Been having fun running around the water treatment area as a scav, enjoying the protection of my very strong AI friends and just looting tech crates and loose poo poo with impunity. But every once in a while somebody rolls in and decides it's time to gently caress up the Rogues and once they're done I grab whatever they couldn't fit into their couch backpack. Except this time he wasn't done looting yet and a single shotgun slug won me the day. I love being a dirty scav and I love BSG for enabling me with this new area.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Atropha posted:

Lighthouse and catching a wipe early pulled me back into this dang game and tonight reminded me of why I play this, even if I'm extremely bad at the shooting part of it. Been having fun running around the water treatment area as a scav, enjoying the protection of my very strong AI friends and just looting tech crates and loose poo poo with impunity. But every once in a while somebody rolls in and decides it's time to gently caress up the Rogues and once they're done I grab whatever they couldn't fit into their couch backpack. Except this time he wasn't done looting yet and a single shotgun slug won me the day. I love being a dirty scav and I love BSG for enabling me with this new area.

I like looting the water treatment area but the rogues keep aggroing and killing me because they're pissed off at somebody else for shooting them. I've just been ignoring the area and going straight to the train depot area for the crazy good industrial spawns.

ZionestLord
Jan 9, 2010

Atropha posted:

thats an impressive amount of loot nice scavving

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Rogues don’t aggro on player scavs!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

There's a couple ways you can piss them off. Getting too close or taking aim at them for too long will make them head-eyes you real fast. Having killed a Rogue within the last couple raids (not sure if it counts PMC ones or just Scav runs) will have them kill you on sight. Trying to get onto one of the machinegun towers aggros the rooftop guys and even going on the blocked off stairs to the rooftops does. But aside from that you're free to run around the place, buildings, tents, whatever. They don't care if you loot their fallen buddies, though the ones most often dead are the two on the machine-guns at the east-end and you can't really get to them without pissing off the rooftop guys.