Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
There’s a great book called The Myth of the Lost Cause by Edward Bonekemper, I think, that really dissects a lot of bullshit about the civil war and the confederacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

So gently caress you Kenney for showing me the latest Trump stupidity.

Please don't shame Kenney for what he uses as a masturbatory aid.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

EvilJoven posted:

'The civil war wasn't about slavery' has a little bit of truth to it. It's not that the south wasn't fighting to keep slavery, it totally was. The thing is, the north didn't give a poo poo about the enslaved, they just wanted to destroy the southern states economically.

So it wasn't about slavery, it was one group of lovely rich people sticking it to another group of lovely rich people. Once that was done freed slaves were still treated like so much poo poo from both sides.

People actually explicitly fought and died to free the slaves so maybe you are in fact a dumbass?

Like this is kind of disgustingly ignorant EvilJoven

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I was happy pretending that Trump was out of the public eye and everyone was ignoring whatever he did now.

So gently caress you Kenney for showing me the latest Trump stupidity.

Kenny sucks and Trump sucks but if a video of Trump saying the vaccine is good and works can convince even a few Albertan wannabe Maga types that the vaccine is safe and worth taking then that tweet was fine.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Nicholas Cage should make another National Treasure movie where they have to steal a bunch of poo poo and figure out the real reason for the civil war and whoa look at that yep it's still slavery.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Trapick posted:

Nicholas Cage should make another National Treasure movie where they have to steal a bunch of poo poo and figure out the real reason for the civil war and whoa look at that yep it's still slavery.

It would be described as Hollywood leftist propaganda by the apologists.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

PittTheElder posted:

This is utterly and completely incorrect, and I want to know which garbage Confederate sympathizer you learned it from.

Abolitionists both North and South were primarily driven by religious and moralistic reasoning that slavery was sinful and wrong, with it's supposed economic inefficiency a far lesser concern. The idea that Slavery was Bad had been the predominant one since the revolution, with the obstacles being southern elites who were absolutely wedded to slavery and pragmatic question of how abolition could be achieved. What happens in the 1830s is there is a sudden exposure of northerners to the realities of chattel slavery in the south, and that drives the demand that slavery be done away with right now, again mostly for religious reasons than any great concern for the equality of blacks.

The lovely rich people in the North were one of the strongest northern factions opposing abolition and the war, precisely because they were getting richoff plantation agriculture as much as the southern elites were.

Which makes the intransigence and downright bloodthirst of the south to get the war going a real marker of their insanity. When you sit atop an indefensible atrocity, you apparently start to take every action, even compromises and accommodations, as insults for not affirming your absolute right to brutalize and enslave those beneath you. Most of the northern leadership was willing to help them or compromise with them at the outset. Eventually that gave way as they kept on killing, especially in the west where the confederates really demonstrated what a bunch of craven cutthroat psychopaths they were.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFwHQYDqf6c

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

EvilJoven posted:

'The civil war wasn't about slavery' has a little bit of truth to it. It's not that the south wasn't fighting to keep slavery, it totally was. The thing is, the north didn't give a poo poo about the enslaved, they just wanted to destroy the southern states economically.

So it wasn't about slavery, it was one group of lovely rich people sticking it to another group of lovely rich people. Once that was done freed slaves were still treated like so much poo poo from both sides.

Wow, Alberta's new educational curriculum sure hit people fast, huh?

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Oh boy can’t wait to check out the CanPol discussion on *checks notes* the American Civil War.

Truly we are America’s hat.

Just gonna go back to watching a Heritage Minutes marathon while I wait to die of Covid so our capitalist overlords aren’t inconvenienced. Who cares what doctors think we have shopping to do!

ChickenDoodle fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 29, 2021

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
In all fairness, endorsing and supporting the slaveholding south in the Civil War is quite authentically Canadian.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
What the gently caress. Do you really think that this is me loving endorsing slavery? loving hell. Just because I was taught that the abolitionist movement, which yes did have a LOT of sincere supporters, didn't receive mainstream support from capital and government until there was self serving motivation to do so, doesn't mean that I think that slavery was a good thing. Holy poo poo what the gently caress is wrong with you.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

EvilJoven posted:

What the gently caress. Do you really think that this is me loving endorsing slavery? loving hell. Just because I was taught that the abolitionist movement, which yes did have a LOT of sincere supporters, didn't receive mainstream support from capital and government until there was self serving motivation to do so, doesn't mean that I think that slavery was a good thing. Holy poo poo what the gently caress is wrong with you.

It is a joke about the Canadian aristocracy. Chill.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I feel that there's a nugget of truth to your overall point; iirc when the Civil War broke out initially Lincoln's priority was keeping the union together and perhaps if cooler heads prevailed in the South and the south reached out quickly for backsies maybe/probably Lincoln would've accepted a return to the status quo; but what your post ends up doing Joven is vastly oversimplify the web of motivations involved, especially as the war progressed. Lincoln's views in particular shifted as the war went on, so it wasn't really about especially by the end, I think you misinterpreted the Emancipation Proclamation, a temporary wartime measure to free the slaves in occupied southern territory as a means of harming the South's ability to continue the war; with the overall goals and motivations of the Union which absolutely shifted towards not just winning the war but also ending slavery once and for all.

Lincoln's coalition governed a wide array of view points from more conservative interests preferring to end the war quickly and if it means accepting slavery's continued existence in the south for longer to radical abolitionists who wanted to pass the abolition amendment by hell or high water.

What you wrote was reductionist and as a result makes glaring errors.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Lincoln had to abolish slavery because he knew that black people were being farmed as food by a vast network of vampire overlords. I learned all about it in a movie.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Bleck posted:

Lincoln had to abolish slavery because he knew that black people were being farmed as food by a vast network of vampire overlords. I learned all about it in a movie.

is this the new matrix movie?

the arse is out of her here on PEI

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

mik posted:

the arse is out of her here on PEI

Like many other place, it seem the curve is getting flat. Just on a different axis.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

mik posted:

There's a movie out there called Lincoln the Vampire slayer or something, based on a book.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

So we’re all going to get it, right? Testing can’t even keep pace with the levels that are actually out there, cant get rapid kits fast enough, evading vaccines everywhere and not a peep about lockdowns

Lets hope it is in fact less lethal because this time we are truly hosed

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

ChickenDoodle posted:

Oh boy can’t wait to check out the CanPol discussion on *checks notes* the American Civil War.

Truly we are America’s hat.

Just gonna go back to watching a Heritage Minutes marathon while I wait to die of Covid so our capitalist overlords aren’t inconvenienced. Who cares what doctors think we have shopping to do!

We are the lesser partner in their extractive resource cartel. They are the oil boss we are the minerals man, and we rely on their muscle for securing our largess abroad.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

So we’re all going to get it, right? Testing can’t even keep pace with the levels that are actually out there, cant get rapid kits fast enough, evading vaccines everywhere and not a peep about lockdowns

What limited evidence I've seen is that omicron is anywhere from 100% to 400% as infectious as delta. I saw something one of my ID colleagues posted showing an R0 of 18, which is "measles bad." The likelihood of a breakthrough seems in part related to the length of time from your previous vaccination as antibody titres drop; this would be a great time to get boosted if you haven't and if you're able to.

I take it as a given that I will get Omicron at some point in the near future, despite use of PPE and vaccination and testing. Fortunately, the severity does seem milder for people who have been vaccinated. The next mild upper airway illness we all get is likely to be a covid infection as opposed to a rhinovirus.

However, it can still be just as severe in the unvaccinated as wild-type. Given the infectiousness, a reasonable assumption is that everyone who isn't vaccinated will get infected in the next month or two, the hospitals and ICUs will fill up again, and our health care system will collapse. Er, more so than it already has.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Albino Squirrel posted:

What limited evidence I've seen is that omicron is anywhere from 100% to 400% as infectious as delta. I saw something one of my ID colleagues posted showing an R0 of 18, which is "measles bad." The likelihood of a breakthrough seems in part related to the length of time from your previous vaccination as antibody titres drop; this would be a great time to get boosted if you haven't and if you're able to.

I take it as a given that I will get Omicron at some point in the near future, despite use of PPE and vaccination and testing. Fortunately, the severity does seem milder for people who have been vaccinated. The next mild upper airway illness we all get is likely to be a covid infection as opposed to a rhinovirus.

However, it can still be just as severe in the unvaccinated as wild-type. Given the infectiousness, a reasonable assumption is that everyone who isn't vaccinated will get infected in the next month or two, the hospitals and ICUs will fill up again, and our health care system will collapse. Er, more so than it already has.

Luckily a large chunk of the unvaccinated probably have already had it at some point and Canada is hitting 90% vaccinated which is pretty good

Victoria has had an outbreak for the last couple of weeks but fingers crossed, the numbers of hospitalisations still seems to be low. I also feel I will get it at some point.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah with the local positivity closing in on 20% and the apparent extreme transmissibility it seems like a foregone conclusion that I'll get it. Booster is scheduled but I figure I'll probably get it the instant curling starts up again.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
The two main drive in test sites in Vancouver are shut down at the moment for what they're saying are weather reasons. I can see VCH not being set up to have personnel working outdoors in -10 or worse temperatures.

They've opened a site at UBC where you can go and they give you a rapid test. So, basically, the numbers out of one of BC's health regions are not amazing at the moment, since it's based mostly on lower accuracy self administered tests where you have to report your result yourself to have it added to the numbers. Also, figuring out where was open was not all that obvious, honestly.

In a week things went from no rapid test availability to only raid test availability.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Oh hey, and BC isn't reporting rapid test results at all:

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/b-c-s-move-to-more-rapid-testing-could-undermine-ability-to-manage-pandemic-response-say-scientists

Basically, BC is above their PCR test capacity, they are giving out rapid tests and having people report the results to allow contact tracing, but those numbers aren't being added to the counts if they're reports. It also doesn't seem like contact tracing is necessarily happening because there's no way to reasonably ramp up to allow to a couple of hundred percent of the contract tracing they needed a couple of weeks ago.

You can also look at the case counts and see Vancouver Coastal flatten out as the drive in clinics closed, while Fraser Health kept accelerating upward. So there's definitely undercount above and beyond that implied by thee huge positive test rate.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

T.C. posted:

The two main drive in test sites in Vancouver are shut down at the moment for what they're saying are weather reasons. I can see VCH not being set up to have personnel working outdoors in -10 or worse temperatures.

They've opened a site at UBC where you can go and they give you a rapid test. So, basically, the numbers out of one of BC's health regions are not amazing at the moment, since it's based mostly on lower accuracy self administered tests where you have to report your result yourself to have it added to the numbers. Also, figuring out where was open was not all that obvious, honestly.

In a week things went from no rapid test availability to only raid test availability.

Yeah I'm pretty sure the other issue with the VCH sites is having people queue outside in -10 for up to five hours.

poo poo is a bit of a mess right now.

Edit: but, uh, I just opened that article, and the "scientists" they're citing are Jens von Bergmann and his crew of mathematician-activists. They do some interesting work, but they kinda have a reputation for throwing generalist data analysis skills at any problem they see, without ever bothering to consult domain experts.

Any time you see an "independent group of scientists" being quoted by the news, it should come with the by-line "scientists opining on topics far outside their actual field of expertise".

Lead out in cuffs fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Dec 29, 2021

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah with the local positivity closing in on 20% and the apparent extreme transmissibility it seems like a foregone conclusion that I'll get it. Booster is scheduled but I figure I'll probably get it the instant curling starts up again.

Same here. Gonna be a long two weeks before I get mine, but it seems like no one around me is taking this seriously.

Hopefully the worst that'll happen to me is I'll feel horrible for two weeks and then recover completely. I'd rather not spend the rest of my life with a mental fog as I kind of need my brain to make a living.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

T.C. posted:

Oh hey, and BC isn't reporting rapid test results at all:

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/b-c-s-move-to-more-rapid-testing-could-undermine-ability-to-manage-pandemic-response-say-scientists

Basically, BC is above their PCR test capacity, they are giving out rapid tests and having people report the results to allow contact tracing, but those numbers aren't being added to the counts if they're reports. It also doesn't seem like contact tracing is necessarily happening because there's no way to reasonably ramp up to allow to a couple of hundred percent of the contract tracing they needed a couple of weeks ago.

You can also look at the case counts and see Vancouver Coastal flatten out as the drive in clinics closed, while Fraser Health kept accelerating upward. So there's definitely undercount above and beyond that implied by thee huge positive test rate.

Anecdotally, I know a lot of people getting sick and isolating without testing, but no-one got anything worse than a heavy cold like symptoms. The hospitals here still seem fine as well so.... fingers crossed? Def only a matter of time until I get it, I haven't done anything fun in weeks, but I still have to go to the grocery store etc and this thing is so contagious

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

We'll all get some version of it, be it omicron, the one after that, the one after that etc.

Which is fine. People who have had it before will be more resistant to it the next time around and hopefully less scared and inclined to panic the next time there's a spike in case numbers.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Count Roland posted:

We'll all get some version of it, be it omicron, the one after that, the one after that etc.

Which is fine. People who have had it before will be more resistant to it the next time around and hopefully less scared and inclined to panic the next time there's a spike in case numbers.

:rubby:

having had severe delta is only making me more scared and panicky about omicron and our utter failure to deal with it

"everyone's gonna get it"

thanks public health, i don't want to get a week on a loving ventilator again

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

poo poo just got real

World Juniors got cancelled

Poodlebear
Aug 24, 2006

but if y'all put
feathers on a dog
that don't make it
no chicken

Arivia posted:

:rubby:

having had severe delta is only making me more scared and panicky about omicron and our utter failure to deal with it

"everyone's gonna get it"

thanks public health, i don't want to get a week on a loving ventilator again

Can you talk about your experience?

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

MA-Horus posted:

poo poo just got real

https://twitter.com/chrismpeters/status/1476266924627709953?s=20

VERY funny mental images of the type of wedding going on at a hotel in Red Deer in late December during a pandemic

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

terrorist ambulance posted:

VERY funny mental images of the type of wedding going on at a hotel in Red Deer in late December during a pandemic

Hey, it's a very special occasion when a brother and a sister love each other very much...

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

PT6A posted:

Hey, it's a very special occasion when a brother and a sister love each other very much...

i paid full price for this wedding dress by carhartt, no way i ain't havin my special day

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

i paid full price for this wedding dress by carhartt, no way i ain't havin my special day

And at the reception, the bride serves roast lamb to take care of the "other woman."

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Poodlebear posted:

Can you talk about your experience?

if you check my post history here and in cspam's covid thread you'll find a bunch of posts i've already made about what it was like

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Alls i knows is, somebody's getting their stolen truck back tomorrow with "Just Merried" spraypainted on the tailgate.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

MA-Horus posted:

poo poo just got real

I'm up in Northern Ontario and folks are apoplectic over this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

flashy_mcflash posted:

I'm up in Northern Ontario and folks are apoplectic over this.

We are an unserious country. If you're having a tantrum about a hockey tournament being cancelled -- for any reason, frankly, but especially a good reason -- you should consult a proctologist to relocate your head.