Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

I’ve owned both a soft top and an RF ND. Road noise is noticeably louder in the soft top versus the RF, but with audio books, I only really needed to decrease the bass/increase the treble to get spoken voice to cut through. I wouldn’t let that stop you from test driving one and trying it yourself!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

Hey, how is road noise on a modern soft top Miata? I know I could/should test drive one but I'm stuck at work and want to live vicariously through you. Can I do 70 on the interstate and comfortably listen to an audio book?

I can only speak for the ND softtop but it's no problem at all. Even after swaping the seat and removing the headrest speakers, a louder axel back, and stiff bushings everywhere

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I want to try one; I'm not sure I can really enjoy riding a motorcycle anymore after a fairly hairy close call and, while I'm not saying it'd be exactly like being on a bike, I think having the top down and cruising on scenic roads looks pretty darn nice. I'd just need it to work as my only vehicle, and that means podcasts and audio books on mind numbing commutes. Glad to hear the positive anecdotes.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

I know exactly when you mean. I haven’t ridden nearly as much since COVID began; it just always seems like an unnecessarily risky activity to be doing while the hospitals are so overtaxed right now. But jumping in the Miata and just farting around on some back roads is an easy dopamine delivery method.

Not to mention I can just go do it instead of having to gear up and be in the right headspace to get on the bike. Buying a Miata in March 2020 was the best decision I’ve made in the last decade. Hands down.

Edit to add that I do still have my bike and will go out if conditions are perfect, but the Miata is a much better balance of stupid + practical. Even mundane errands like grocery store runs turn into stupid little adventures.

pastor of muppets fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 30, 2021

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The gear really was a burden; thankfully I had very minor injuries after my accident because I'm ATGATT, but the truth is I just don't find riding a motorcycle as relaxing as it was. All the day's stress used to drain out on my ride home from work, but now it feels, if not exactly panic inducing, certainly not relaxing. I can't stop noticing all the (benign) circumstances that led up to my crash every time I ride.

Anyway, I've always wanted a Miata, my current car is paid for and over 10 years old, so, I dunno, I've been thinking about it, shame about the crazy supply chain issues seeking havoc on availability and prices though.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Do it! I'm too much of a pussy to get on a motorcycle in the first place but this feels like an acceptable (if much slower) alternative.

Had to bribe the inspector for the first time to pass yesterday lol. One issue was one of the license plate lights was out, I knew about it but couldn't quickly fix it because the connector and housing was busted. The other was with the headlight leveling system. In the top (0) position something is binding and the motors keep chugging instead of moving the lights and stopping. Shockingly there's very little info on this online. Does anyone know how this works? Is there like a servo there or something?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Two back to back days of close calls on my motorcycle drove me to a Miata too :angel:

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Finally replaced the worn surfboard bottom in my NA. Hog rings are awful.

destructo fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 7, 2022

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Mmm, that looks great

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
My wife was just telling me about a guy who works in her building that every day puts on a "Mazda Miata" jacket and then drives home in his NB in the snow. At least he has a hardtop, but I still admire the dedication.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cat Hatter posted:

My wife was just telling me about a guy who works in her building that every day puts on a "Mazda Miata" jacket and then drives home in his NB in the snow. At least he has a hardtop, but I still admire the dedication.
That's me before WFH, except with an mx-5 hat. And no hardtop.

Just came across this video of a Miata vs GR Yaris.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8bPvryTD_4Y

I love the Yaris and think that's exactly what everyone should be building but I'm still very proud of the little red car. Honestly pretty surprising how well it did despite some typical mods, it's way down on owner and has half the LSDs.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Sitting at a stop sign, minding my own business when a teenager cuts the corner turning left into the road I was on :(

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
oof. Hope it gets fixed up soon.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

GOD IS BED posted:

oof. Hope it gets fixed up soon.

Me too, it's my daily driver :barf:

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Perhaps a stupid question and I should read the owners manual, but on my ND2 GT, I find that even with my phone plugged in before turning the car on, the head unit doesn't seem to default to AndroidAuto and I may have to go to the "apps" menu and select it manually to pull up Maps/Waze, Spotify, etc.

Is there some setting for the head unit to choose how it will generally behave at start up? I think I've gone through every menu but I don't recall seeing anything about that.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

That's strange, it automatically connects to CarPlay ~95% of the time when I start the car (pretty sure my iPhone has a faulty Bluetooth module so sometimes it just drops connections). I would think it would default to the last input for AA, too.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Poor thing still in the shop :(

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
gently caress I thought I had my overheating issue on my NB all worked out. It’s been like six months since I installed a new heater core and it has been rock solid ever since. Also previously replaced the thermostat, and radiator cap (twice). But I was about 20 miles into a 22 mile highway drive yesterday and spiked the temp gauge and immediately pulled over, coolant boiling out of the expansion tank. Same symptoms as before. Happened to be 1 mile from a rest stop, so after it cooled down, I went there and got some water to refill the radiator. Drove home slow all back roads, temp never moved past center.

What’s next? Radiator? Water Pump? Head hosed?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

tactlessbastard posted:

Poor thing still in the shop :(

Shop just called, everything is done, except they're still waiting on a headlight. The one that was supposed to come in this week got sold out from under us to a dealership in California. Gonna be another 5 to 10 days. Sigh.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I feel your pain, I hosed up my Miata last fall and it took almost 3 months total to get everything back to normal. It was my daily and I was trying to get moved at the time too. I thought it would be a few weeks and there were all sorts of parts issues.

Nowadays I guess the silver lining in any accident is if it's not considered totaled though. Hope you get to drive her again soon!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That sucks and makes me sad. I hope she can be fixed properly.

NC owners, can one of you take a picture of the inside of the roof? I'm not sure if I have the listing panel properly in place.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Whoever it was in this thread that said the NC looks weird because the hood doesn't touch the headlights, I want you to know I hate you because that's now the first thing I notice about the 240z, most Aston Martins, every Corvette without popup headlights, and every other car that does that.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
S2000

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I always thought it was kinda classier looking in a way, maybe because it's on a bunch of those nicer cars and cars without front engines.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

Rhyno posted:

That sucks and makes me sad. I hope she can be fixed properly.

NC owners, can one of you take a picture of the inside of the roof? I'm not sure if I have the listing panel properly in place.

Mine's a 2011 PRHT, if that works for you I'll take a pic when I get home tonight.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Cat Hatter posted:

Whoever it was in this thread that said the NC looks weird because the hood doesn't touch the headlights, I want you to know I hate you because that's now the first thing I notice about the 240z, most Aston Martins, every Corvette without popup headlights, and every other car that does that.

I say that all the time, and I stand by it. In most cars where the hood line doesn’t touch the headlights, those cars have very prominent and unique styled headlights/body lines that justify it, for example, every porsche ever and their headlight humps.

NC miata designer was like “lets draw a fuckin U on the hood lol.”

Elysium fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 25, 2022

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GOD IS BED posted:

Mine's a 2011 PRHT, if that works for you I'll take a pic when I get home tonight.

Gotta be the soft top, im not certain I routed it correctly when I replaced it.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

I'd be happy to do it but lol it might be a while

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Elysium posted:

I say that all the time, and I stand by it. In most cars where the hood line doesn’t touch the headlights, those cars have very prominent and unique styled headlights/body lines that justify it, for example, every porsche ever and their headlight humps.

NC miata designer was like “lets draw a fuckin U on the hood lol.”

Perhaps he was on the shitter and thought, this hood needs to look like a toilet lid.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Found a banger of an NC today :lol:

https://twitter.com/ohgodwhatdoiput/status/1498353803917209600?t=5bllTOcpE1UUaf8WBmrUSQ&s=19

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not going to claim to understand it but at least the characters aren't naked or have ahegao face on. Fine with me.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

I love it, but I'm also the guy who owns an itasha Neon (and it's not NEON Genesis Evangelion related, to my shame).

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

BloodBag posted:

Perhaps he was on the shitter and thought, this hood needs to look like a toilet lid.

I have always thought this about the NC

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
Sad news: My Fiat 500 Abarth was hit by an - irony alert - Dodge Ram.

Good news: The insurance settlement will leave me with a ~12-13K budget. Which means: Miata will be the answer! I'm looking at buying an NA or NB. I've had a few NAs, so I kinda want to switch it up with a NB (but would happily buy a pristine NA). It looks like prices are somewhat dropping on older Miatas. Too bad you have to deal with sellers. Ugh. It would be nice if there was a Carmax, but for used cars.

Can't wait to join the Miata gang again!

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I about to start prowling the streets to steal a drat NC headlight

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Here's a 2006 NC. Hope one of these has the right angle.

One time I was trying to find the vacuum system routing for my Astro van online and came across someone asking the same question. The reply was, "check your other Astro van." I was immediately excited when I realized what a good idea that was. I was already under the hood when I realized what that says about Astro van owners that look at your other Astro van was the standard solution.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

GOD IS BED posted:

I love it, but I'm also the guy who owns an itasha Neon (and it's not NEON Genesis Evangelion related, to my shame).

OK so you need to post pictures of this or point me at where you already have because c'mon now.

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

Dolemite posted:

Good news: The insurance settlement will leave me with a ~12-13K budget. Which means: Miata will be the answer! I'm looking at buying an NA or NB. I've had a few NAs, so I kinda want to switch it up with a NB (but would happily buy a pristine NA). It looks like prices are somewhat dropping on older Miatas. Too bad you have to deal with sellers. Ugh. It would be nice if there was a Carmax, but for used cars.

I'm sorry for your loss, glad you're ok though.

Unless you live in a magical part of the world, car prices are hosed everywhere and prices on older Miatas have been rising unfortunately. I bought my 99 NB with a hardtop, roll bar, and some other useless odds and ends with 110k mi on the clock ~4 years ago for $5,200. Based on what I'm seeing in the Texas area I could sell the car for ~$10k today with 125k mi on the clock, granted I've got a set of Xidas and some other track related farkle parts on there now but the Miata market is absolutely insane these days.

I wish you the best of luck In your search and don't get discouraged dealing with sellers. Just avoid the sellers on Facebook with vaping profile photos or people who can't form complete sentences.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Diametunim posted:

I'm sorry for your loss, glad you're ok though.

Unless you live in a magical part of the world, car prices are hosed everywhere and prices on older Miatas have been rising unfortunately. I bought my 99 NB with a hardtop, roll bar, and some other useless odds and ends with 110k mi on the clock ~4 years ago for $5,200. Based on what I'm seeing in the Texas area I could sell the car for ~$10k today with 125k mi on the clock, granted I've got a set of Xidas and some other track related farkle parts on there now but the Miata market is absolutely insane these days.

I wish you the best of luck In your search and don't get discouraged dealing with sellers. Just avoid the sellers on Facebook with vaping profile photos or people who can't form complete sentences.

There was a salvage title 2004 NB down the road from my work for sale for $7000. It's not there anymore so I guess someone bought it. I was looking for an NB, but man that was too much. A mazda dealer nearby had a pristine BRG special edition NB and they had it listed for $12,900

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Dolemite posted:

If it doesn't totally wreck your budget, a new ND might be the way to get the least screwed with the 12k as down payment and cheap borrowing costs. Assuming your local dealers actually have any in stock.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 2, 2022