Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Ariong posted:

Yes, there’s a new item unlocked by getting every hard mode mark with every character.

Oh right i forgot about megamush

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

ArfJason posted:

Oh right i forgot about megamush

I was thinking of Death Certificate but yeah, that too.

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

SIZE=XX-LARGE]PLEASE! PLEASE STOP SAYING THE R WORD. GOD, IF SOMEBODY SAID THE R WORD, I WILL HECKIN LOSE IT. JUST PEE PEE MY JORTS. CAN'T YOU JUST CALL THEM A SMOOTHE BRAINED DOTARD LIKE THE REST OF US NORMAL PEOPLE? DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

P.S. FREE LARRY YOU FUCKIN COWARDS.
Mega mush is a ton of fun, I love it lol

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I am so glad I'm almost done unlocking characters, because I am sick of babysitting trinkets and hauling around cracked keys. Just Tainted Keeper to go...

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

WTF, I'm also missing Huge Growth

Nyoro posted:

I am so glad I'm almost done unlocking characters, because I am sick of babysitting trinkets and hauling around cracked keys. Just Tainted Keeper to go...

Thankfully Tainted Keeper is a blast to play so no doubt you'll enjoy that reward!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Sad Panda posted:

Are there unlocks/achievements for Repentance hard mode clears? I know there were from Afterbirth and have all those.

Outside of the "beat everything on hard mode" unlocks mentioned there's nothing specific like there was for Apollyon and Forgotten. Except unlocking Bethany I guess but you've probably done that

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Yep there we go, all 34 characters unlocked

but like...actually doing clears with any of them? lmao that's gonna take yforever

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Depends i guess. Some tainted go faster than youd think

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

goferchan posted:

Outside of the "beat everything on hard mode" unlocks mentioned there's nothing specific like there was for Apollyon and Forgotten. Except unlocking Bethany I guess but you've probably done that

Yeah I've got all the characters unlocked. All the unlocks up to the end of rebirth. There's no way I'm going to get all the Tainted Lost unlocks on normal never mind hard mode to be fair. And I've played Jacob & Esau twice and gave it up. I'm not a huge fan of the two characters with Forgotten - Jacob & Esau seems a great way to go crazy.

ArfJason posted:

Depends i guess. Some tainted go faster than youd think

Tainted Lilith at least on normal is a beast. Just use Gello to punch from distance and things melt. Tainted Keeper... dies a lot more at leat when you run after every single coin.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Hard mode really isn't that much different aside from less room drops and a few more champions. I'm not even good at the game and I don't ever not play on Hard at this point. Just feels like normal at this point.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Evil Kit posted:

Hard mode really isn't that much different aside from less room drops and a few more champions. I'm not even good at the game and I don't ever not play on Hard at this point. Just feels like normal at this point.

I play on Normal for the unlocks and I have imagined that I will play on Hard for funsies after I have all the normal, non co-op baby unlocks

with the exception of The Lost, of course, I always play him on Hard

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

SIZE=XX-LARGE]PLEASE! PLEASE STOP SAYING THE R WORD. GOD, IF SOMEBODY SAID THE R WORD, I WILL HECKIN LOSE IT. JUST PEE PEE MY JORTS. CAN'T YOU JUST CALL THEM A SMOOTHE BRAINED DOTARD LIKE THE REST OF US NORMAL PEOPLE? DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Once I switched to hard, I realized how much time I wasted playing on normal lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
jacob and esau arent fun to play and i won't blame anyone for cheating to get their unlockables. ...tained jacob on the other hand pwns

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 28, 2021

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I had a pretty sick run on the lost to finally beat Greedier mode. Even had 9 lives and guppy's collar just to guarantee that win.

I finally beat Ultragreed on the 15th life :frog:
Got some real lucky rolls with that guppy's collar haha holy poo poo. Took me like an hour. loving Ultragreed sniping me with that one attack that sends rocks at you, so many times.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Mod Spotlight:

TimeMachine - Makes it so all machines and beggars work like donation machines in that they go faster and faster the longer you're in contact with them. What's cool about this is that it works by accelerating the game's timescale, so it doesn't give you any incidental advantage. You can't squeeze more blood machine/devil beggar donations out of a period of invincibility and the in-game timer will tick forward as much as it would have if you had done those donations at normal speed. So there are no gameplay implications, it just makes it take less real-life time and tedium.

Enhanced Boss Bars - I've replaced my previous boss bar retexture mod with this one. The main cool thing it does is that it makes it so each individual boss in a room has a separate health bar, rather than all bosses in a room having their collective health represented by a single bar. Each bar has an icon representing the boss, and some bosses have unique bars. Finally, this also adds health bars to boss fights that don't normally have them like Mother and The Beast. It's fantastic, I don't know why the base game isn't like this.

⸱ᴗ⸱

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Unlocked Rock Bottom, but Birthright continues to elude me

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Evil Kit posted:

I believe at some point this was true about hard mode but it was changed at some point and now it's just red hearts that drop less, which is irrelevant for several characters anyways. Because the floors are a couple rooms larger and you get a lot more champions (although they only drop items 33% of the time) you generally have more resources in hard mode.

edit: The other changes are here, it's really not that bad. https://bindingofisaacrebirth.fandom.com/wiki/Hard_mode

goferchan fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 29, 2021

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Evil Kit posted:

you don't even get less room drops - 33% of the heart drops are replaced with nothing, but bombs, keys, chests, etc drop as normal

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
There's one very, very meaningful change for the true final boss on hard you take a full heart of damage during the Beast fight and on normal you only take half a heart.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

things that would be cool as items: Rock Bottom, but only for a single statistic, like a damage-up that then prevents damage from ever lowering

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

No Wave posted:

There's one very, very meaningful change for the true final boss on hard you take a full heart of damage during the Beast fight and on normal you only take half a heart.

No difference for me :smug:

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

Hard will help make you a better player and you'll enjoy the game more as you improve!

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
there's no reason not to play on hard since it gives you more unlockables and normal doesnt give you anything

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Literally the only reason to play Normal is to unlock the Forgotten, because gently caress that poo poo on hard.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
Apparently I'm only good when I have to clutch. Doing the Mother unlock on Eve. Decent run, had 9 lives again. Took like 8 hits and died on my first try. Was tempted to just give up there. I ended up beating her on my last life, which meant I couldn't get hit at all. It was close!

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I play on normal because I just don’t like to deal with curse floors. I do like Labyrinth but it’s a necessary sacrifice.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

That's what black candle is for.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I don't totally hate curses but I wish there was a small reward to balance them out, like getting to choose between two items after beating the boss or getting a few black hearts at the end of the level or really anything. I also strongly feel they should never show up on the first floor (except labyrinth because it would kind of have to) from a game design perspective, just because it makes it way too tempting to restart. Maybe I'll learn to mod because I don't want to use the ones that remove them entirely

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

goferchan posted:

I don't totally hate curses but I wish there was a small reward to balance them out, like getting to choose between two items after beating the boss or getting a few black hearts at the end of the level or really anything. I also strongly feel they should never show up on the first floor (except labyrinth because it would kind of have to) from a game design perspective, just because it makes it way too tempting to restart. Maybe I'll learn to mod because I don't want to use the ones that remove them entirely

Yeah, curse of the lost adding a couple of extra rooms and curse of the maze allowing you to enter locked rooms and secret rooms are fine extra effects to balance out the negatives. Curse of the labyrinth is great, especially in Downpour/Dross, where you can grab two extra boss items from the mirrored world. Not to mention being able to reach boss rush most of the time, due to the time saved from doing two floors at once.

Black hearts as a boss reward for curse of the unknown floors is a great idea. I have no clue on what could improve blind/darkness cursed floors, they just suck.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Psychedelicatessen posted:

Black hearts as a boss reward for curse of the unknown floors is a great idea. I have no clue on what could improve blind/darkness cursed floors, they just suck.

All item rooms offer a choice between 2 items with curse of the blind :troll:

edit: I've seen another mod that lets you get friendly fly versions of the flaming will-o-wisp guys from Downpour, having a chance for friendly flies to spawn as those in a darkness cursed floor would be cool

goferchan fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 30, 2021

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Oh I hate curse of the labyrinth the most because of how badly it screws you out of angel/devil rooms. I think it's more damaging to my runs than any of the others even if it's less obnoxious.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

goferchan posted:

this is exactly how I feel

it'd be cool to make cursed floors their own themes and effects, like a higher chance for black hearts to drop, higher devil chance, item pool modifiers, anything. I have one mod for Curse of the Blind to make it so the items are black silhouettes instead, and I like it a lot. I can often tell what item I'm seeing, but I've made a lot of funny mistakes that feels waaaay better than a ? loving me over.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i just wish most of the curses weren’t just annoying inconveniences

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

agreed

at this point I use EID to ignore Curse of the Blind. Blind just sucks the fun out of the game.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Black August posted:

I have one mod for Curse of the Blind to make it so the items are black silhouettes instead, and I like it a lot. I can often tell what item I'm seeing, but I've made a lot of funny mistakes that feels waaaay better than a ? loving me over.

What's the name of the mod? It sounds cool

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

The past dozen or so times i've gotten curse of the maze it never did anything

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

goferchan posted:

Lmao. I forget what it's called but that item that makes the Ultra Greedier lasers shoot out of the walls is really cool, great example of something neat that doesn't feel out of place because it builds on something existing in the game.

gold rope. it's pretty rad. another item from that collection that's really interesting is a shop item that causes a shop to (rarely) spawn when you finish a room. great for runs where you like, get steam sale from greed on depths 2 or w/e. it's only like once or twice a floor and the prices are at member card shop levels (i.e. ridiculously expensive) so it doesn't feel OP. all of the "collection" mods are neat and feel well-integrated with the base game

also i feel like i should plug another really well done mod, "the sewing machine" - it's very popular so i'm sure a lot of you are already familiar, but for those who aren't; you know how like 75% of familiars really suck? what if they...didn't? this mod adds a new machine type, sewing machines, which can upgrade the bad familiars for a price. good familiars like dark bum can't be upgraded because that would be stupid. there are 4 different kinds of sewing machines - shop sewing machines, which cost 10c, bedroom sewing machines, which cost a soul heart, devil sewing machines, which cost a heart container, and angel sewing machines, which are free. all of them except shop sewing machines are very rare. each upgradable familiar can be upgraded twice - devil sewing machines apply both tiers of upgrades in one use since their cost is high, the others are 1 tier per use.

i really can't overstate how much this makes you care about familiars you wouldn't even think about giving a poo poo about in the base game. having to pour resources into them feels fair - they're still subpar items on initial pickup - and the really trash ones like brother bobby aren't exactly going to turn into run-defining items, but the medium-tier ones like headless baby can become genuinely valuable parts of your kit with upgrades. a lot of familiars added by mods are compatible with, and balanced around, this mod, too.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Yeah Sewing Machine is incredibly cool. It's also for the most part implemented into the Encyclopedia mod so you can look at familiars in your inventory or in the room and see what their upgraded effects are. It makes some really bad items into much more interesting picks

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
what is this 'collection' b/c it's hard to google

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

flatluigi posted:

what is this 'collection' b/c it's hard to google

the golden collection has the items we've been discussing, the other mods by the same author are also good