Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
I remember when Gravity was rumored to become the new Captain Marvel (something that Marvel editors/writers later confirmed was being considered around 2006-2007, but was ultimately dropped)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Good comic day. Devil's Reign continues to be stellar, Timeless was a great Kang story, and Death of Dr. Strange continues to be fun. Granted, that last one had the most Bats per page, so it wins by default.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Barry Convex posted:

I remember when Gravity was rumored to become the new Captain Marvel (something that Marvel editors/writers later confirmed was being considered around 2006-2007, but was ultimately dropped)

Oh, man. I haven't thought of Gravity in a while. The original mini series was fun but he sort of lost his way after the Beyond! miniseries that like two people remember.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Hey, I could use a consult from the toy nerds of BSS.

I found this old playset in my mom's basement. I've never been able to figure out what to even call it, as most Secret Wars googling leads to the action figures. Any ideas?

I kinda don't want to get rid of it, and obviously, I'm curious if this is something a collector might be interested in.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wanderer posted:

I found this old playset in my mom's basement. I've never been able to figure out what to even call it, as most Secret Wars googling leads to the action figures. Any ideas?

I kinda don't want to get rid of it, and obviously, I'm curious if this is something a collector might be interested in.

Did Spider-Man jack Thanos' copter?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Wanderer posted:

I'm not a toy nerd but this has me intrigued - the Secret Wars branding gives it a pretty defined production period, but the art and style of the toy doesn't really match up with what was being produced at the time. It's possible it's a bootleg I guess?

I can't find it anywhere on this site, but they might be able to offer more information or at the very least be interested:

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/archives/secretwars/

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Barry Convex posted:

the last-page reveal had me audibly groaning, though

Extremely same. As a 38 year old, I am too young to have any reason to care about this. I certainly don't get why people are so excited about a different version of a character Marvel already had who they ran out of ideas for.

I think the novelty will be extremely short-lived.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I imagine it's just because (I guess we're spoiling this) Gaiman will finally be able to finish off the story that he was telling. He's apparently been working on it for quite some time. But to be honest I'm also an incredibly old man and even I had to look that up.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Ooh that's what the logo is!

Yeah I didn't get it either, my mind went everywhere from Magneto to Mighty Mouse.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I am intrigued by one specific image in the Timeless "here's our future slate" image, and that's the Young Avengers pic. It looks like the team includes Kate Bishop, maybe Viv Vision, and then three Runaways characters who are... dubiously heroic at best??? Cause it definitely looks like Doc Justice (who is currently Alex Wilder), Victor Mancha as Victorious, and future Brotherhood of Evil Mutants Molly Hayes from Battle of the Atom. I'm really interested to see where that goes.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
oh so that's why people were talking about miracleman on Twitter yesterday

also lolling at the idea someone decided that since Chadwick died T'Challa needs to die too

site fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 30, 2021

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Anyone remember how they seemed to be setting up MJ as a supporting character in Carol's Ms. Marvel book, way back when she was working at the Bugle?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Party Boat posted:

I'm not a toy nerd but this has me intrigued - the Secret Wars branding gives it a pretty defined production period, but the art and style of the toy doesn't really match up with what was being produced at the time. It's possible it's a bootleg I guess?

I can't find it anywhere on this site, but they might be able to offer more information or at the very least be interested:

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/archives/secretwars/

Unfortunately, the email addresses attached to that site no longer work. I appreciate the tip, though.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the more i think about it that weird Kate Bishop not-young avengers thing seems so out of place because it's just "okay how can we capitalize on the Hawkeye show but we can't use any of the other og YA team because two are space royalty and we can't use America until multiverse of madness comes out"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

site posted:

the more i think about it that weird Kate Bishop not-young avengers thing seems so out of place because it's just "okay how can we capitalize on the Hawkeye show but we can't use any of the other og YA team because two are space royalty and we can't use America until multiverse of madness comes out"

It's especially weird because the current miniseries made very certain to show her links for all the different periods of her history in the comics. She's constantly texting Clint (Fraction/Aja/Wu etc), Jessica Jones (Heinberg/Cheung a bit but mainly Thompson), Stinger/Cassie (def Heinberg/Cheung) and America (Gillen/McKelvie)

And there's hinting that the endgame is gonna be a Cassie/Kate/America team up. (Maybe with the actual adults showing up also, I guess)

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think folding the Runaways into the New Avengers is a good idea. But I kinda think that was more artist error than anything else because that was Kate's old look, and Molly looks older.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Wanderer posted:

Unfortunately, the email addresses attached to that site no longer work. I appreciate the tip, though.

Ah, bummer. I know the site's quite old but I was hoping that the kind of person to catalogue 80s toys would also be the kind of person to keep an eye on various old email addresses. Good luck finding out what it is!

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Wander, I quoted your post in the action figure thread. Someone in there might be able to identify it? I spent a bit trying to Google it last night but had no luck.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's been an adult Molly in Captain Marvel recently.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Cloks posted:

Wander, I quoted your post in the action figure thread. Someone in there might be able to identify it? I spent a bit trying to Google it last night but had no luck.

Thank you. I appreciate it.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Is it possibly an older Kate? I can see them doing another “Your future selves are jerks” story with the named characters.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Wanderer posted:

Thank you. I appreciate it.

Are there any manufactures' info stamped on it anywhere (like the bottom, or the back?) Knowing who made it might narrow it down

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Open Marriage Night posted:

Is it possibly an older Kate? I can see them doing another “Your future selves are jerks” story with the named characters.

Be kinda weird for older versions to call themselves Young Avengers

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Davros1 posted:

Are there any manufactures' info stamped on it anywhere (like the bottom, or the back?) Knowing who made it might narrow it down

Nope, I just looked over it. It's got a couple of those round marks that I assume are where the mold broke off, but it's unlabeled.

I'm starting to lean towards the idea this was some kind of Fisher-Price bootleg.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
If you wish to descend into the toy-identify Reddit they usually identify just about anything within ten minutes or so.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Codependent Poster posted:

The New Mutants have been calling themselves that for 30+ years, it's not exactly unprecedented, sometimes it's tough accepting you're getting old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7erl9k01C2M

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wanderer posted:

Nope, I just looked over it. It's got a couple of those round marks that I assume are where the mold broke off, but it's unlabeled.

I'm starting to lean towards the idea this was some kind of Fisher-Price bootleg.

If you tweet about it and Dan Slott sees it hell probably write it into the next crossover he works on.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean sometimes the New mutants are new mutants.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Codependent Poster posted:

By the time it was meant to be DC's answer to X-Men I don't think any of the Teen Titans were still teenagers.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

By the time it was meant to be DC's answer to X-Men I don't think any of the Teen Titans were still teenagers.

Raven, Changeling and Terra were all definitely teens.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/kierongillen/status/1477402433139707907?s=20

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Dang, how big was Power Girl's nose by the end? :newlol:

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Just picked up unlimited again, I'd like to check out the ultimate line again. I'm good on everything up to ultimatum, but would at least like to read all the Spiderman stuff after it. Is there anything other than Spiderman worth reading post ultimatum?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Kingtheninja posted:

Just picked up unlimited again, I'd like to check out the ultimate line again. I'm good on everything up to ultimatum, but would at least like to read all the Spiderman stuff after it. Is there anything other than Spiderman worth reading post ultimatum?

No. In fact, Ultimate anything other than Spider-Man is mostly poo poo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The first UF4 arc was pretty great.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I used to read xmen and did read a good chunk of f4 but I just dropped everything after ultimatum.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Hickman's Ultimate Comics Ultimates and Ultimate Hawkeye are worth reading.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Starsnostars posted:

Hickman's Ultimate Comics Ultimates and Ultimate Hawkeye are worth reading.

I did like those, you're right. But the early 2000's stuff....yikes.

Arkhams Razor
Jun 10, 2009
The first two Ultimates series work very well at capturing the spirit of Bush-era America. Not sure how they hold up as comics, but as time capsules they hold some value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Arkhams Razor posted:

The first two Ultimates series work very well at capturing the spirit of Bush-era America. Not sure how they hold up as comics, but as time capsules they hold some value.

Same with Ultimate X-Men which acknowledges that the X-Men are a teenaged private military group and says that's good, actually.