Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

This year in world of wars, we start off with Mark's campaign against a dumbass PE teacher and his defenders in the PTA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
^^ I got a Stalin keychain at the Stalin Museum when I went there with that image on one side. Always gives me good memories.

Came to post that I was glad there’s a new episode to listen to on my bike out to the in-laws for New Years. HNY everyone!

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

someone tell John about the Afar militias, so he has a underdog ethnic militia to cheer for in Ethiopia that will result in a less warped analysis.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lmao yeah the ethiopia stuff is pretty bad, similar to the nigeria episode last year

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The Moonies produced a bizarre Korean war movie called Incheon, and MacArthur plays a central role in it. It's really funny because the script and tone are totally reverent of MacArthur, but the plot makes it look like he didn't really do anything.

The Moonie movie IIRC is from like the early 80s and is one of the last Korean War film made in the US.

It’s funny how we still churn out WW2 movies all the time, even an occasional Vietnam one still, but Korea is this huge blind spot in American pop culture. It’s obvious why, but it’s still crazy to see

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

skooma512 posted:

The Moonie movie IIRC is from like the early 80s and is one of the last Korean War film made in the US.

It’s funny how we still churn out WW2 movies all the time, even an occasional Vietnam one still, but Korea is this huge blind spot in American pop culture. It’s obvious why, but it’s still crazy to see

That mostly comes down to the fact that the US government exercised press censorship to stop American newspapers from reporting on all the atrocities being committed by the US & its allies. So if they couldn't report bad news there'd be no news at all. When China entered the war and it bogged down into a years long stalemate, practically nothing was happening media wise. You could barely even tell it ended.

It ultimately just didn't last long enough to have any real cultural impact. It just ended up being a lens through which the next generation evaluated Vietnam.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Finally got around to listening to part 2 of the balkans episode. Balkans chat owns.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Atrocious Joe posted:

This year in world of wars, we start off with Mark's campaign against a dumbass PE teacher and his defenders in the PTA.

Casualties: several hurt elementary schoolers feelings, carpel tunnel by the PTA moderator

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

The korean war memorial in dc is so loving stupid looking lol

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Algund Eenboom posted:

The korean war memorial in dc is so loving stupid looking lol

lmao korean war vets stay losing

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Vietnam was the peak of american military aesthetic. Flak Jackets and M1 helmets >>> 3 million operator tacticool gear.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Atrocious Joe posted:

RWN's inexplicable rambling about completely irrelevant personal stuff is annoying but also weirdly helpful in setting the tone

dolan going on a long tangent about albanian flag etiquette does add a certain texture, but it's not immediately obvious how this relates to cold war nuclear strategy or w/e

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

jesus christ, gravity has nearly killed our dude

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

He always has such a way with words.

I'm glad he can get top notch medical care in a real country.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

He always has such a way with words.

I'm glad he can get top notch medical care in a real country.

yeah of all his travails this is what i'm usually impressed with

don't trip in waco, my dude

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
no idea why ames wants to keep staying in the usa instead of moving to europe or something

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

mila kunis posted:

no idea why ames wants to keep staying in the usa instead of moving to europe or something

family

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Also they suck at doing the paperwork for residency and so just move every time their tourist visa expires.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

mila kunis posted:

He'd have an even harder time getting a long-term visa than John, and he can't drag his family all over the planet.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

"the ulna went through the elbow like a freight train" jesus christ john, hope it heals alright and the pain/complications have crested

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Dolan is very good at describing his injuries in graphic detail.

Occasionally the part of Pleasant Hell where he worked at a glass supplier pops into my head.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I'm never going to read Pleasant Hell. Certainly not. You can't make me.

genericnick has issued a correction as of 22:20 on Jan 4, 2022

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

:gonk:

That injury sounds horrible

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I need to get back around to finishing Pleasant Hell, because the stuff I did read of it was really funny.

How Darwinian
Feb 27, 2011

Atrocious Joe posted:

Dolan is very good at describing his injuries in graphic detail.

Occasionally the part of Pleasant Hell where he worked at a glass supplier pops into my head.

Or his unwashed karate gi slowly growing mold continents...

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

genericnick posted:

I'm never going to read Pleasant Hell. Certainly not. You can't make me.

It's not all that gruesome.

But it is pure leaded cringe. My boy John was a goon. It could have been my story he was telling. My carpal tunnel cheeto dust hand reaching across time and up Interstate 5 to meet his hand coming out of a rotting karate uniform.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Hmm.
https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1478492620464795649

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Atrocious Joe posted:

I read that entire segment as a piece in various speech competitions during college. No one ever really 'got' it, but I had fun.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Also they suck at doing the paperwork for residency and so just move every time their tourist visa expires.

so every 3 months? that seems stressful

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i get the impression that dolan and missus live out of two very dented suitcases

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
it would certainly be easier when you’re young but if you aren’t attached to possessions and can swing it economically it would be really rewarding.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

That’s a guy who is not talked about nearly enough. Weirdly I think the most popular media I’ve ever heard of that actually incorporates about how power hungry he was is a alt history Hearts of Iron 4 mod.

Kaiserriech gets him so right and Huey Long so wrong

Debunk
Aug 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
i'm reading john dolan's prose translation of the illiad and it is a good and fun read. pleasant hell is very good too--definitely in the failson canon imo, along with poo poo like confederacy of dunces

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Debunk posted:

along with poo poo like confederacy of dunces

John talking in one show about not having to imagine what it would be like to be Ignatius was a good and illuminating moment.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

John talking in one show about not having to imagine what it would be like to be Ignatius was a good and illuminating moment.

Actually one of the single funniest bits on the show

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I give it even odds that John neglected the language owl, and said owl engaged its local thugs to teach him a lesson about skipping a lesson.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Atrocious Joe posted:

I absolutely loved the way he didn’t mention the title of his book (going postal) on the podcast but did to the principal. Way to win ANY argument about bullying!

Good book btw.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/1479184531072733196?t=-DyaaadCGFdkZsBsf4hu4Q&s=19

This is a disappointing take, it feels like Nuclear Power has to have some consideration even if the problem with Nuclear waste still needs solving.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

My faves are allowed all the bad takes they want. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Not So Fast posted:

This is a disappointing take, it feels like Nuclear Power has to have some consideration even if the problem with Nuclear waste still needs solving.

I don't know how you can look at recent world history and conclude that humanity is responsible enough to have nuclear power.