Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Shiroc posted:

I think the messiness of it is 'intentional' such as putting forward very personal art out through a studio is hard. You don't want to compromise, some of the compromises people push might make it land better but not necessarily how you want, people are going to interpret it however they want, etc. I've struggled with similar conflicts for presentations that I've done/quit.

Right, I think this is the correct framing of the pitch meeting. Someone is being asked to create again and they struggle with finding the same motivation and integrity. It’s singlular buzzwords and some are obviously less serious than others.

And while the matrix can be all of these things (and love as pointed out), it’s a step too far to say because it can have many interpretations it can have no interpretations. There’s nothing a political about the analyst. Or IO. Or how neo and trinity have very different in matrix appearances to others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Was it intended that Io was just Zion but smaller?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Cheaper than replacing all the signs, y'know?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I figured it was a play on the first machine city called 01. I think that’s only mentioned in the animatrix.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
IO feels like a budget or crew size constraint. Doesn’t have all the extras of Zion in the past. But plot wise you gotta assume it’s fairly large, but hasn’t existed as long as Zion. Zion was about 100 years old, IO was less than 60.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

checkplease posted:

IO feels like a budget or crew size constraint. Doesn’t have all the extras of Zion in the past. But plot wise you gotta assume it’s fairly large, but hasn’t existed as long as Zion. Zion was about 100 years old, IO was less than 60.

I always thought Zion was much older, with the eradication of life there being just that - with the city left intact for whoever is left for the next cycle. The small amount of people the Architect allowed to live each cycle could never build such a vast and sprawling place, and it looked ancient. I figured that either the Matrix existed for far longer than anyone thought, that Zion pre-dated the war somehow or that the machines actually helped construct it because the thought of approximately twenty people (I think that's the number the Architect says the One gets to choose to live?) building that place is unbelievable.

Io looks like it was only possible through human & machine collaboration.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Yeah I am with you there. We can assume that while the machines bust in and kill each time, most of the caverns and power generation stuff are probably left intact for next zion founders each time.

IO though is on the fast track with tech and will probably surpass Zion population just due to better nutrition and probably healthcare now.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I think Zion was stated to have withstood several cycles of machine raids and rebellion, which was interesting because it implied that the human 'side" was allowed as a pressure release for problematic matrix dwellers.

They didn't need to find Zion because they'd "found" it six times already.

Like, you get too fussy and oh look you've "escaped" to the hidden base where the robots totally can't find you. So just have your raves and whatever, the machines'll write you off as shrinkage until you become too much of an issue.

When Bugs showed up coded blue like every other part of the control, it looked like Neo's "escape" was into a matrix-within-a-matrix.

Neo (and other problem causers) would stop trying to escape because they already thought they'd escaped.

So they could party in "Zion" and have a rave, but now they're still generating power for the machines.

It seemed like a cool way to do a matrix sequel, until that wasn't at all what they were doing.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I thought IO was supposed to be read I/O. Also I got the feeling it was bigger than Zion though I dunno if that's based on anything.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

moths posted:

I think Zion was stated to have withstood several cycles of machine raids and rebellion, which was interesting because it implied that the human 'side" was allowed as a pressure release for problematic matrix dwellers.

They didn't need to find Zion because they'd "found" it six times already.

Like, you get too fussy and oh look you've "escaped" to the hidden base where the robots totally can't find you. So just have your raves and whatever, the machines'll write you off as shrinkage until you become too much of an issue.

When Bugs showed up coded blue like every other part of the control, it looked like Neo's "escape" was into a matrix-within-a-matrix.

Neo (and other problem causers) would stop trying to escape because they already thought they'd escaped.

So they could party in "Zion" and have a rave, but now they're still generating power for the machines.

It seemed like a cool way to do a matrix sequel, until that wasn't at all what they were doing.

All the Matrix movies are about systems of control, and all the Matrix sequels are about systems of control beyond the basic illusion of the matrix itself. It's not at all foregrounded in Resurrections, but I think the takeaway from both the beginning of the movie and the Analyst's later dialogue is that the matrix is no longer a secret. People stay in their pods not because the truth has been occluded from them, but because it's simply too uncomfortable to do anything different and it feels like better days are just around the corner.

The proposition that it's the really '90s and we don't live in an elaborate simulation is like the proposition that Epstein killed himself. No one in charge will admit otherwise, but the problems with this theory are kind of obvious to anyone who thinks about it for more than ten seconds, but what are you even supposed to do about it? So you roll out of bed and go to work each day regardless.

mmmmalo
Mar 30, 2018

Hello!
Might matter for the Matrix-within-Matrix stuff that Io is the letters within Zion. Also Bugs saying she entered Morpheus's modal through a skylight is probably a play on Io's artificial sky

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The idea that the Matrix trilogy is a bestselling videogame franchise within the Matrix was another great missed opportunity.

You should have a Qanon style cult aound it, with rescue efforts running into the friction of looking especially crazy since you "know" the matrix cosplayers trying to make you take e aren't on the level.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

King Vidiot posted:

True, it's just that some people seem really angry about it which I just find baffling.

Something I had to learn the hard way over many decades:

If people often seem angry to you on the Internet, it's most likely because of the way you're looking at their words, rather than any intent inherent in them. Lack of context and body language breeds misinterpretation, and people are seemingly most likely to assume the most negative possible intent at all times.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
My one big knock on the movie is that it lacked any kind of distinctive visual flair or language. Other than that I think I liked it and can’t wait to see it again on HBO Max, a Warner Brothers product

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ImpAtom posted:

The problem with that reading is that the point isn't that they are wrong. It is that it is a shallow heartless reading of the film. Like "The Matrix is about trans rights" doesn't have to be incorrect for the shallow marketing person going "It's gotta be about, uh, trans stuff, right?" to not actually be saying anything of note or meaning because he doesn't care about Trans Rights, just "what are the marketing buzzwords for The Matrix."

Being inauthentic is worse than being wrong. I would say that character thinks they believe in Trans Rights, and likely has a list of demonstrable actions to back up that theory.

Like all the basic white people who put "BLM" in their Tinder profiles.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ImpAtom posted:

LGBTQ+ matters are absolutely used as a cheap marketing ploy all the loving time, as is limpwristed criticism

Haha I'm not sure you thought this through. I don't think you should be using limpwristed as a negative term anymore but definitely not in the same sentence as LGBTQ Rights

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Watching matrix 3.

The fight on the way to the merovingian(with the upside down kung fu) was extremely good.

Weird that they do the train station bit only to abandon it 5 seconds later.

Jada pinkett smith sucks.

The big zion fight,i mean it’s impressive but was anyone watching matrix 1 and 2 and thinking “hmmm this needs interminably long mec fights” ?

Trinity’s final scene was very moving.

The final smith fight was poo poo,no weight to it,horrible cgi,dogshit.

Crap ending.

Edit : oh and the guy who played bane had a spot on hugo weaving impersonation.

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 29, 2021

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

The big zion fight,i mean it’s impressive but was anyone watching matrix 1 and 2 and thinking “hmmm this needs interminably long mec fights” ?

I am always thinking that about everything, so...me. Sorry.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

precision posted:

Haha I'm not sure you thought this through. I don't think you should be using limpwristed as a negative term anymore but definitely not in the same sentence as LGBTQ Rights

you've got an 06 regdate, don't pretend you weren't dropping human being and retard every third post until the collective realized circa 2013 that they could pretend to be upstanding citizens without having to let go of their sociopathic internet cruelty if they switched from attacking people with bigoted language to attacking people for bigoted language. the hypocrisy doesn't work so well in a thread who's subject matter is meant to encourage introspection

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Colonel Whitey posted:

My one big knock on the movie is that it lacked any kind of distinctive visual flair or language. Other than that I think I liked it and can’t wait to see it again on HBO Max, a Warner Brothers product

Gotta give it credit where it’s due. It looked distinctively amateur.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The dock fight in Revolutions doesn't do a ton for me because Mifune and Kid and Link's wife all feel pretty undercooked as characters, but the Hammer's run through the mechanical (NOBODY CAN FLY MECHANICAL) tunnel was really great, I thought.

Once the Sentinels start doing the Squid Hadoken, the dock fight feels kinda pointless. Because, like. What's the point anymore. Just keep doing Squid Hadoken until everybody's dead.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Colonel Whitey posted:

I wonder if Lana has seen infinity train.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

MJeff posted:

The dock fight in Revolutions doesn't do a ton for me because Mifune and Kid and Link's wife all feel pretty undercooked as characters, but the Hammer's run through the mechanical (NOBODY CAN FLY MECHANICAL) tunnel was really great, I thought.

It was supposed to hinge on people learning about these characters in the animatrix and video game tie ins. I saw all of that and I still did not care about a single person inside Zion.

I think it’s because the og movie showed one ship, one captain, and the stakes were life or death. Then we find out oh there are a bunch of ships, humans are not rare, and most of them think Morpheus is a religious zealot. Then it turns out Zion isn’t even special, neo is a calculation and nothing really matters since the matrix is a better loving world to be in anyway!

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Nuts and Gum posted:

I think it definitely has a distinct aesthetic (digital cinematography, lots of natural light, saturated colours, more close up camerawork - esp in the Matrix scenes) but it's certainly not the aesthetic of the original movie.

This is one of the Wachowskis who made Speed Racer, an essentially aesthetics only film, it's not like Lana Wachowski doesn't know how to do visual composition

But she's talked about how they didn't storyboard any more and barely rehearse to feel "freer" like they did on Sense8 and... Yea for better and for worse, by design it leads to a less meticulous film

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

HorseLord posted:

you've got an 06 regdate…

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

moths posted:

There’s a brief look at the ruins of one of the previous Zions in Matrix 2.

I think a big reason people hate Matrix 3 is that - shortly before the ending of the whole dang 5-Hour Sequel Experience - Neo’s like “oh, right. Smith is a character in these movies.” Then all criticism of Zion just vanishes despite the robot gorilla battle going on for like 1,000 years.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Nuts and Gum posted:

I wish Bill Pope had returned

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I think a big reason people hate Matrix 3 is that...

imho the third movie feels disappointing because the matrix itself feels underplayed by the end. One of the impactful ideas from the first matrix is the sense of scale: "holy poo poo the entire planet is fake! every single person you see on earth is simulated!" Hundreds of millions of lives are at stake. But by the end of the third one, the matrix feels small... you never see any people beyond the main cast. The final scene takes place in a park that's completely empty except for the oracle, the architect, and the girl from the subway platform. I think it's implied that smith has infected the entire matrix by that point, but if that's the case, that's quite the event to gloss over lol

The population of the matrix is actually enormously larger than the population of zion, and so what happens in the matrix should "matter" more than what happens to zion - but the movie shifts all of its attention to zion (which is ironic in a film literally titled "the matrix")

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Dec 29, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm the guy who liked the dumb mech fight and the "okay redshirts, our lovely mechs are out of bullets, grab a box and try not to get too murdered" scene where they open the garage door and see they are, in fact, going to get turbo murdered

Really should've welded a car door on those things for the mechwarriors lol

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 30, 2021

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
The way the squiddies moved like a flock of birds was really loving cool. Lol at those mechs not having any sort of protection for the pilots faces tho.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Nuts and Gum posted:

The way the squiddies moved like a flock of birds was really loving cool. Lol at those mechs not having any sort of protection for the pilots faces tho.

It's also really fun how most of the time the squids are taking it super easy on the humans and only occasionally shooting their lasers

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Nuts and Gum posted:

I respect they showed the general guy all slashed up but let’s be real he should have looked like a hollowed out jam donut with that many sentinels slashing at him.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Polo-Rican posted:

I think it's implied that smith has infected the entire matrix by that point, but if that's the case, that's quite the event to gloss over lol

It's hinted at a little more in the last Smith/Neo fight. The entire street as far as you can see is lined with Smith. At one point when they're flying around having a little slapfight with no sense of impact the camera is in a building and you can see there are a ton more Smiths watching from every floor in the skyscraper.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I remember being bored during the mech fight and it was like getting tired of breasts during Showgirls all over again.

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

It's also really fun how most of the time the squids are taking it super easy on the humans and only occasionally shooting their lasers

I like to think the Machines just clicked move-attack on Zion and walked away from the controls while it played out

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It was very 'this is only happening to fill out the film and give the other characters something to do as Neo makes his way to the machine city'.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Boxman posted:

It's hinted at a little more in the last Smith/Neo fight. The entire street as far as you can see is lined with Smith. At one point when they're flying around having a little slapfight with no sense of impact the camera is in a building and you can see there are a ton more Smiths watching from every floor in the skyscraper.

For all the complaints about exposition, here is a set of scenes that spends a lot of time visually showing you the total proliferation of smiths.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

This film is appallingly bad. Terrible acting, cinematography, and writing. It's a two hour long exposition dump which looks like a budget Netflix film.

Am I missing something here?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

RBA Starblade posted:

The Zion team has played this mission HOW many times and they're still leaving the difficulty on Casual?!