Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/ianbremmer/status/1476254547404374025

Red America

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Craptacular! posted:

It's not about libertarianism for all, it's about protecting the rights of the minority who vary from being oppressed to being hunted for sport by law enforcement, and also asking if maybe anything short of massive changes to the Constitution and throwing out the Supreme Court in it's entirety is a workable solution, because many people would rather take vaccines every few months for the rest of their natural lives.

Throwing out the Supreme Court in its entirety is a good idea for multiple reasons but that's a bit outside the scope of this thread.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Thank you, Omicron, for finally giving us the USSA

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Judakel posted:

Getting the virus under control is not that difficult for a wealthy, functional state. China has done so many times and the only reason they had to do it more than once was due to the mishandling of the response elsewhere.

China is a totalitarian police state

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

America is a plutocratic police state

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

drat, shame there's only two countries in the world and only two possible responses to the pandemic.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Craptacular! posted:

Okay, but who is China's solution working for? It's not working well for the people on the very bottom, it's been a terrible time. Many systems worked well for somebody at some point. Ancient Rome and feudal France once worked for somebody, but both came tumbling down.

For the entire populace of China, which is largely free from covid.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

brugroffil posted:

America is a plutocratic police state

No it isn't.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

freebooter posted:

No it isn't.

It very much is.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

freebooter posted:

China is a totalitarian police state

There is no libertarian solution to a pandemic, as Australia is finding out.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Judakel posted:

It very much is.

For someone who's so aggressively gung-ho about China you don't seem to have a very firm grasp on what this phrase means

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

freebooter posted:

For someone who's so aggressively gung-ho about China you don't seem to have a very firm grasp on what this phrase means

Neither do you, to be honest.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

MooselanderII posted:

The TWiV people are good at communicating science and how to approach things critically and with a great deal of nuance. That being said, they lose this edge when it comes to applying any of that to the current situation (the host basically dying on the hills that variants are not significantly more transmissible, more deadly, etc., that boosters are unnecessary, that getting a booster through natural infection may be desirable, etc.) Daniel Griffin is also knowledgeable, but is equally unable to apply the lessons from he sees in his experience to broader policy implications.
He routinely laments how COVID affects kids, but insists schools can be opened safely and effectively and even argues kids are even safer at school, as otherwise they might hang out outside of school and get each other infected.

Petey posted:

I would say the clinical updates are worth listening to.

I think the biggest problem with TWIV is that VRR (the host) has severe Posting Brain and got really really dug in on some takes — like boosters were a bad idea — that it's been hard to talk him out of. You can tell all the other panelists are hesitant and on eggshells around him on certain topics. Griffin is the only one who seems to be able to disagree with him, and even Griffin does it somewhat gently/deferentially.

I also think they generally have been too optimistic in their predictions, when measured against actual subsequent events. But Griffin's clinical updates have been helpful for things like "okay, I need to know which monoclonals will work in case one of my relatives get hospitalized, or how much to trust a rapid test."

Right, which is why I mentioned they're lab researchers (mostly) and not public health experts. I haven't listened much this year so I'm not familiar with the specifics mentioned above, but the core team on the podcast is virologists and immunologists and Griffin is an infectious disease clinician/researcher. It's very good for learning about virology and immunology and how that all works at the cellular and organismal levels. When they get into public health policy ehhh take it with a grain of salt. Though when I was listening regularly they largely try to steer clear of getting deep into policy and politics. They do have epidemiology and public health people on but that's not really what I'd watch it for.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

freebooter posted:

Is your argument that our police don't do it in secret and the totalitarian fist has a nice glove on it?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

freebooter posted:

No it isn't.

We have more people in prison than China despite having a quarter of the population, that's not great.

Bearinabox
Nov 2, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
One of the big problems here in Vic and NSW was when the massive lockdowns were happening, cases were occurring not due to workplace transmission as much as they were illegal, small gatherings between families. Despite a curfew.

How do you police that?

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Bearinabox posted:

One of the big problems here in Vic and NSW was when the massive lockdowns were happening, cases were occurring not due to workplace transmission as much as they were illegal, small gatherings between families. Despite a curfew.

How do you police that?

Perhaps it is a lack of public health consciousness combined with a lack of resources to do so?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Is there a “too early” for a Covid test? I woke up this morning with a slightly sore throat and my sinuses are draining a bit. My throat cleared up as soon as I ate breakfast but my sinuses have been dumb all day. My coworker texted me saying her boyfriend tested positive for Covid but she’s negative despite living together. That and the fact that a lot of coworkers are out with it got me thinking I should get tested. My mom said it’s probably just allergies (which it probably is) and that I shouldn’t get tested because it’s too early.

I figure if I have symptoms how would it be too early?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Judakel posted:

Perhaps it is a lack of public health consciousness combined with a lack of resources to do so?

What does this mean? If you just put more police on the street to make sure no one leaves their houses then it'll work out? Maybe if you put bounties on people to snitch on their neighbors?

What's the magic enforcement solution here

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Judakel posted:

Did I stop at not that difficult or did I qualify it by implying you needed to mobilize as a wealthy country?

you are still saying that it's 'not that difficult', that all one would have to do as a wealthy country is 'mobilize' without actually saying what that means

The fact that almost everyone has completely failed kind of suggests that it is in fact, quite difficult

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

As an object I'm sure a good enough mask protects against nearly 100% of infections.

But a guidance isn't a mask. In all the different permutations of different countries adding or removing or strengthening or weakening mask guidance I don't think there is a single example of any particular shift in case rates. You can pull up a graph of deaths vs cases in a bunch of countries and instantly see the exact place vaccines started to exist because vaccines do a lot. But there isn't really any graphs you can say "ah, there is where the mask mandate started/ended/increased/decreased"

for example, england just reinstated it's mask mandate, can you guess where that happened on this graph? (no, it's not the no reporting on christmas dip)

I'm sure masks work, wear a mask. Do mask guidances work? Eh. it's not really clear they do at all.
I would say looking at a graph of overall cases and reading it like tea leaves is probably not going to tell you much. You need to compare cases between different places rather than looking at one place and asking “where’s the dip??”

Here are a few studies that show masks work.

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0249891 — High mask adherence leads to lower case rates.

quote:

We used state-level data on mask wearing policy for the general public and on proportion of residents who stated they always wear masks in public. For all 50 states and the District of Columbia (DC), these data were abstracted by month for April ─ September 2020 to measure their impact on COVID-19 rates in the subsequent month (May ─ October 2020). Monthly COVID-19 case rates (number of cases per capita over two weeks) >200 per 100,000 residents were considered high. Fourteen of the 15 states with no mask wearing policy for the general public through September reported a high COVID-19 rate. Of the 8 states with at least 75% mask adherence, none reported a high COVID-19 rate. States with the lowest levels of mask adherence were most likely to have high COVID-19 rates in the subsequent month, independent of mask policy or demographic factors. Mean COVID-19 rates for states with at least 75% mask adherence in the preceding month was 109.26 per 100,000 compared to 249.99 per 100,000 for those with less adherence. Our analysis suggests high adherence to mask wearing could be a key factor in reducing the spread of COVID-19.

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0252315 — this study backs up people’s anecdotal experience seeing mask adherence plummet following the rescinding of mask mandates (in addition to showing their impact on cases, hospitalizations, and deaths).

quote:

We show that mask mandates are associated with a statistically significant decrease in new cases (-3.55 per 100K), deaths (-0.13 per 100K), and the proportion of hospital admissions (-2.38 percentage points) up to 40 days after the introduction of mask mandates both at the state and county level. These effects are large, corresponding to 14% of the highest recorded number of cases, 13% of deaths, and 7% of admission proportion. We also find that mask mandates are linked to a 23.4 percentage point increase in mask adherence in four diverse states.

Finally, the CDC has made a compendium of studies that show masks in schools experienced fewer outbreaks. Michigan used to but no longer mandates masks in all schools. Are you suggesting masks in schools don’t make a difference on overall case rates?

Off the topic of masks—I’ve also pointed out that one of the largest institutions in the United States, public schools, have largely followed CDC guidance, up to and including the protocol of a 10-day quarantining of individuals that test positive for COVID. Public schools following this guidance will likely change their quarantine policy based upon the CDC’s new guidance.

You continued to say it doesn’t matter what the CDC says if no one listens even though it’s clear many actually are. Are you disputing this? Or are you arguing that changing the quarantine policy, where symptomatic individuals are allowed to return to school in half the time, will have no or little impact?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Is there a “too early” for a Covid test? I woke up this morning with a slightly sore throat and my sinuses are draining a bit. My throat cleared up as soon as I ate breakfast but my sinuses have been dumb all day. My coworker texted me saying her boyfriend tested positive for Covid but she’s negative despite living together. That and the fact that a lot of coworkers are out with it got me thinking I should get tested. My mom said it’s probably just allergies (which it probably is) and that I shouldn’t get tested because it’s too early.

If you're concerned, definitely go get tested, but that sounds like allergies to me. I get that kind of thing once a week.

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

This spell rocks. It'll pop you right out of that funk.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Yes. It usually takes 3-5 days from infection contact to show up on tests. If you're symptomatic from covid now it's probably been long enough since that contact unless omicron has changed things since it's also at least about that many days to symptoms.

Unless things have changed, runny nose is also not a hallmark covid symptom though.

If you had a definite contact or otherwise were doing a high covid risk thing, definitely worth testing still.

Suzera fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 30, 2021

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Levitate posted:

What does this mean? If you just put more police on the street to make sure no one leaves their houses then it'll work out? Maybe if you put bounties on people to snitch on their neighbors?

What's the magic enforcement solution here

You don't have to have police do everything. You can just hire people to monitor lockdowns. China doesn't just have police doing all the lifting in these circumstances. But China also doesn't keep it going for months and months.

Alctel posted:

you are still saying that it's 'not that difficult', that all one would have to do as a wealthy country is 'mobilize' without actually saying what that means

The fact that almost everyone has completely failed kind of suggests that it is in fact, quite difficult

I literally pointed to China for a clue as to what to do about the pandemic.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Gio posted:

You continued to say it doesn’t matter what the CDC says if no one listens even though it’s clear many actually are. Are you disputing this? Or are you arguing that changing the quarantine policy, where symptomatic individuals are allowed to return to school in half the time, will have no or little impact?

I dunno why OOCC is arguing this really but I feel like the point that's trying to be made is something along the lines of the people who are going to be careful and comply with a mask mandate are the people who are going to be careful and continue to wear masks or reduce risk when there is no mandate, and the other people that might performatively wear a mask in a store during a mandate because "gently caress you I don't want to wear a mask this is bullshit" are the people who are going to have house parties and gatherings and spread the virus that way anyways

I don't think I 100% agree with that take exactly but the overall point being mandates rely compliance to be effective and if half the people (or whatever) are ignoring or skirting around the edges of it then the mandate isn't really an effective one

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Gio posted:

I would say looking at a graph of overall cases and reading it like tea leaves is probably not going to tell you much. You need to compare cases between different places rather than looking at one place and asking “where’s the dip??”

Why would you compare different places instead of the same place before and after the change?

(On that graph the mandate was put in December 10th)

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Levitate posted:

I dunno why OOCC is arguing this really but I feel like the point that's trying to be made is something along the lines of the people who are going to be careful and comply with a mask mandate are the people who are going to be careful and continue to wear masks or reduce risk when there is no mandate, and the other people that might performatively wear a mask in a store during a mandate because "gently caress you I don't want to wear a mask this is bullshit" are the people who are going to have house parties and gatherings and spread the virus that way anyways

I don't think I 100% agree with that take exactly but the overall point being mandates rely compliance to be effective and if half the people (or whatever) are ignoring or skirting around the edges of it then the mandate isn't really an effective one

I think the studies I linked more than demonstrate mandates have an impact on compliance and compliance has an impact on cases, hospitalizations, and deaths.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Judakel posted:

You don't have to have police do everything. You can just hire people to monitor lockdowns. China doesn't just have police doing all the lifting in these circumstances. But China also doesn't keep it going for months and months.

We've had people who live in China post here about the response and one of the big takeaways from their post was "I don't think this would work someplace like the US because a huge part of it is a population that is willing to follow the rules and do what they're asked/ordered" and that's just...not the US. At all. And it will never be. And it seems to be a reason why Australia's lockdowns eventually stopped working.

Without saying it's good or bad, I think China's population and situation is just different, and not something we can see "western culture" countries following

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Why would you compare different places instead of the same place before and after the change?

(On that graph the mandate was put in December 10th)

Are you disputing the studies that show mask mandates have an impact on cases? You seem to be conveniently ignoring all my other points, so I feel comfortable ignoring this one.

Bearinabox
Nov 2, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Judakel posted:

What do you mean by this

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Judakel posted:

It is impossible for the rest of the world to do what China is doing. And China's policy will prove to be ineffective eventually, and they will join the rest of us.

Bearinabox
Nov 2, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Judakel posted:

You don't have to have police do everything. You can just hire people to monitor lockdowns.

How does this work in practice? Like, what are these people doing.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

I said this in another thread but most of the “we can’t do it here” and the “CDC had to adjust because of lack of compliance” just sounds like the right wing gun control talking points repackaged:

Case in point:

Bearinabox posted:

Okay well given much of the rule-breaking was happening in private residences, how do these people police that?

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 30, 2021

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Levitate posted:

We've had people who live in China post here about the response and one of the big takeaways from their post was "I don't think this would work someplace like the US because a huge part of it is a population that is willing to follow the rules and do what they're asked/ordered" and that's just...not the US. At all. And it will never be. And it seems to be a reason why Australia's lockdowns eventually stopped working.

Without saying it's good or bad, I think China's population and situation is just different, and not something we can see "western culture" countries following

Then those countries are not going to do very well going forward, in my opinion.

Bearinabox posted:

How does this work in practice? Like, what are these people doing.

They're basically approaching people breaking quarantine and asking them to abide by it. Only if they refuse do you call the police.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Suzera posted:

Yes. It usually takes 3-5 days from infection contact to show up on tests. If you're symptomatic from covid now it's probably been long enough since that contact unless omicron has changed things since it's also at least about that many days to symptoms.

Unless things have changed, runny nose is also not a hallmark covid symptom though.

If you had a definite contact or otherwise were doing a high covid risk thing, definitely worth testing still.

I mean I work retail with tons of maskless midwesterners so every day feels like a high risk activity. Yeah I feel like it’s nothing but the high amount of positives just spooked me

Bearinabox
Nov 2, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Judakel posted:

Then those countries are not going to do very well going forward, in my opinion.

They're basically approaching people breaking quarantine and asking them to abide by it. Only if they refuse do you call the police.

Okay well given much of the rule-breaking was happening in private residences, how do these people police that?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Judakel posted:

But you keep forgetting that China is not a powderkeg of disparate interests looking to flaunt authority and rise against their masters. We have that everywhere, from people who simply refuse to follow rules to Governors who defy federal guidelines. You also continue to bitch about "libertarianism" without defining what that is or isn't from a policy standpoint. And this is despite me pointing out that there are a lot of decidedly Not Libertarian states that have existed through human history, and China is the only ones left that hasn't yet fallen apart from the inside-out while the historic overall track record of the rest is quite terrible.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Just get tested now. There isn't a reason to wait. Especially, if the local PHIs/laws require you to self isolate if you are positive, then you are obligated to find out asap.

Dunno if this got posted yet, quick check the past few pages didn't seem to return anything. But more and more good news coming on the Omicron front.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/12/28/covid-hospital-data-should-treated-caution-many-patients-admitted/
Its paywalled but here are some relevant quotes:

quote:

Just one fifth of the weekly rise in Covid inpatients was caused by people admitted to hospital because of the virus, figures suggest.
The most up-to-date NHS data</a> show that on December 21, there were 6,245 beds occupied by coronavirus patients in English hospitals - an increase of 259 from the previous week. But within that increase, just 45 patients were admitted because of the virus, with the remaining 214 in hospital for other conditions but having also tested positive - so called “incidental Covid” admissions.

Doctors also said they were seeing far more cases of incidental Covid compared to previous waves. Dr Raghib Ali, a consultant in acute medicine at Oxford University Hospitals, said: “There is certainly a smaller proportion of people ending up with Covid pneumonia in intensive care. “Probably half the cases I’ve seen are incidentals. You’ve got completely incidental cases, someone coming in with a broken leg, who also tests positive for Covid, then a third category of older people who have comorbidities. Maybe they’ve had a fall or chest pain and also test positive and it's unclear if the virus is having some sort of impact.“ We’re also seeing more incidentals than previous waves because people were scared to come in, so there were not so many patients around to also test positive. “And when the prevalence of a virus with relatively mild symptoms is high in the community then you will see higher incidentals.”

The figures are similar to those seen in omicron hotspots such as Gauteng in South Africa, where up to 52 per cent of Covid admissions were people who were admitted for other conditions but also tested positive for Covid.

Continued good news coming out of the UK and the fact that this mirrors the South African experience with Omicron probably means we can put the worst of the doomsday scenarios behind us. This thing spreads fast, is 100% airborne and the odds are we all are probably going to get it. I hope you got your vaccines in because all the worst negative health outcomes still come from the anti-vaxxers.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10350161/Covid-19-UK-40-Omicron-hospitalisations-unvaccinated-adults-officials-finally-reveal.html

quote:

The gap is even more stark for intensive care units, where the unjabbed are up to 60 times more likely to need treatment.

Suzera posted:

Runny nose is a hallmark sympton of Omicron dude.

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

This spell rocks. It'll pop you right out of that funk.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I mean I work retail with tons of maskless midwesterners so every day feels like a high risk activity. Yeah I feel like it’s nothing but the high amount of positives just spooked me
That qualifies imo at least to put a priority on getting tested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I said this in another thread but most of the “we can’t do it here” and the “CDC had to adjust because of lack of compliance” just sounds like the right wing gun control talking points repackaged:

The difference is that re: gun control literally every country except the US has done it

In the case of covid, no-one has (aside from China and we'll see what happens when Omicron hits)

How can you not see the difference here