Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

That's the full meme no cast time ever rotation, it has Scathe in it. The one that's actually vaguely good is different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Bruceski posted:

Is Tenacity worth materia-ing for as a tank?

Signs point to eh, it's not bad, I guess.

I did some testing on Etro with different pre-raid bis variants. With a crit > det > ten meld strategy I got ~4.3% more dps than no melds, with a ten > crit > det strategy I got ~3.4% dps than no melds. The difference in the tenacity multiplier was 103.5% vs 105.8%. All this assuming Etro has the right formulas, which it might not but they should be close. It might be possible to finagle cleaner break points: I did not really try. Pentamelds in a week will have different numbers, probably closer overall since you need to spread over more substats.

Basically, Tenacity is around 3/4 as good as a DPS stat for pure damage.

Is 2.2% less damage and more healing worth more than 0.85% more DPS? Probably not, in most cases. Is the difference worth worrying about? Also probably not, in most cases.

I think Savage prog is one of the more defensible uses of Ten melds, at least if you're not aiming for week 1 endboss clears. A tiny sliver of extra tank DPS is about as likely to save you from an enrage as a slightly larger sliver of tank survivability is to allow you to survive some tankbuster in a tight spot.

Gearsets, for all the numbers
Tenacity first: https://etro.gg/gearset/c7af27b4-17e1-43bb-a66c-d6a5d5ba5387
Crit first: https://etro.gg/gearset/d1db873a-e9d0-4b32-b10e-837f17ce5a7f

E: Rechecking those old sets I realize I hosed up and added two unique T1Ex rings. It doesn't really make a difference since I'm not trying to make some breakpoint-optimal bis meld, just estimate substat values, but if you care then feel free to substitute a moonward ring.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 29, 2021

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am guessing that Skill Speed for WAR is no longer really needed now that IR generates stacks?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Xerophyte posted:

Signs point to eh, it's not bad, I guess.

I did some testing on Etro with different pre-raid bis variants. With a crit > det > ten meld strategy I got ~4.3% more dps than no melds, with a ten > crit > det strategy I got ~3.4% dps than no melds. The difference in the tenacity multiplier was 103.5% vs 105.8%. All this assuming Etro has the right formulas, which it might not but they should be close. It might be possible to finagle cleaner break points: I did not really try. Pentamelds in a week will have different numbers, probably closer overall since you need to spread over more substats.

Basically, Tenacity is around 3/4 as good as a DPS stat for pure damage.

Is 2.2% less damage and more healing worth more than 0.85% more DPS? Probably not, in most cases. Is the difference worth worrying about? Also probably not, in most cases.

I think Savage prog is one of the more defensible uses of Ten melds, at least if you're not aiming for week 1 endboss clears. A tiny sliver of extra tank DPS is about as likely to save you from an enrage as a slightly larger sliver of tank survivability is to allow you to survive some tankbuster in a tight spot.

Gearsets, for all the numbers
Tenacity first: https://etro.gg/gearset/c7af27b4-17e1-43bb-a66c-d6a5d5ba5387
Crit first: https://etro.gg/gearset/d1db873a-e9d0-4b32-b10e-837f17ce5a7f

That's the sort of info I was wondering about, thanks. Those "bit of everything" stats are tricky to judge when the game's cagey about the actual hard numbers. First time I've been running stuff where most folks weren't overgeared anyway, so I've never before looked at how much of a survivability difference it makes.

iTrust
Mar 25, 2010

It's not good for your health.

:frogc00l:

Unlucky7 posted:

I am guessing that Skill Speed for WAR is no longer really needed now that IR generates stacks?

Crit >>> SkSp to Comfort > Det > Ten

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

We don't have any breakpoints anymore, no, and I think that's the only time any job really cares about skill speed. Whatever gets a GCD you feel comfortable with.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Speaking of melds, is there a good priority for GNB? Would it be basically the same for all the tanks now that WAR doesn't need skill speed to hit a specific breakpoint?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Finally managed to get in at a reasonable time and making my way through 5.4 and 5.5. Also had to redo all my settings because I moved to ps5 but the load times and higher resolution are nice

I also can’t read dialogue boxes at this resolution lol is there a way to make only those bigger? Enjoying he increased screen real estate otherwise

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Also playing BRD and even at 80 it feels much much better. Very small changes but makes a huge difference

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009

Harrow posted:

Speaking of melds, is there a good priority for GNB? Would it be basically the same for all the tanks now that WAR doesn't need skill speed to hit a specific breakpoint?

As far as my (very limited) knowledge, DRK is the only tank that really cares about skill speed anymore, and otherwise they all want crit > det > ten.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Doesn't PLD still want SKS to fit an extra GCD into FoF?

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
I don't even know if it's worth sksp right now until the oce servers come out and I can get sub 250 ping.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Unlucky7 posted:

There aren't the weird breakpoints to get 5 GCDs in IR any more, no. There's some ideal upheaval alignment thing at 2.47s GCD that can maybe make a difference if the fight length falls into very specific buckets but as I understand it's not worth worrying about and gear will mostly be decided by the other substats on it.

To keep things neutral in the previous post I ignored SkS and just multiplied the average bonus damage from crit, determination and tenacity together. That's going to be slightly wrong in various interesting ways: there are buff window SkS breakpoints for at least PLD and GNB, all the forced direct crits for WAR, etc. I made a test set with DH melds too, I didn't include it since the big tank difference is that DH melds are much worse for WAR than anyone else.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
WAR has one breakpoint but it's reachable with 2.5GCD anyway so it doesn't really matter. Fitting 4 GCDs into Bloodwhetting is nice for the extra heal but even at 2.5GCD that still leaves .5 seconds to squeeze the 4th GCD in.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Harrow posted:

Enough SkS to get 9 GCDs in No Mercy comfortably > Crit > DH, I'm pretty sure. Drop the DH for Det if you are also playing WAR.

escape mechanism
Feb 12, 2012

Shadowbringer MSQ notes, lvl 76 The 76 solo duty was cool but harrowing, especially Ardbert’s part. gently caress, but must his existence suck.

It’s always a bit strange when there’s enemies we can attack and others we can’t with no clear delineation between the two though. In dungeons, they’d be on a separate path and inaccessible to us, but here in this overworld map it didn’t work very well.

Vauthry’s authority is explained and… it’s boring mind-control. That explains why we don’t see much of Eulmore’s leadership, but it’s also very uninteresting.

We then decide to go for Ahm Aereng’s lightwarden, which requires Minfilia to tap into the original’s power, which requires the personality of the current Minfilia to disappear, or to give up hope of bringing the original back (another good showing for Emet-Selch, who cut tactlessly through to the core of this drama)

This actually feels like an easy choice to me, the new Minfilia’s having a much more compelling character arc than the original ever did, but of course it’s not that simple for the characters. Minfilia in particular is seeing it as a solution for her feelings of inadequacy, and it’s a bit frightening how much more animated and proactive she becomes once she decides to march toward her own destruction.
We know that’s not the path the original Minfilia would want her to take, and probably not Thancred either, but his inability to accept this and say it out loud is just fueling the new Minfilia’s lack of self-esteem.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Are there specific spots/areas I need to mine to find EW treasure maps, or is just keep mining random spots until I see one?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Are there specific spots/areas I need to mine to find EW treasure maps, or is just keep mining random spots until I see one?

The end zone, maybe second to end, but they can show up anywhere in those. You got a 200GP "reveal hidden items" ability that can help.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

also, if you have spare cash, they are VERY cheap right now. Last I checked, they were like 12k each

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I’ve got some stored up because I assume the price is going to briefly spike as soon as the new treasure instance is released

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Harrow posted:

I’ve got some stored up because I assume the price is going to briefly spike as soon as the new treasure instance is released

On my server, Zonureskin maps are going for like four times that of the new ones. I stocked up on Kumbhiraskins for the same reason, but since I'm full on them I'm just gathering the older ones to sell right now.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Mind over Matter posted:

On my server, Zonureskin maps are going for like four times that of the new ones. I stocked up on Kumbhiraskins for the same reason, but since I'm full on them I'm just gathering the older ones to sell right now.

pro tip - mail extras to a friend and have them return them

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they should really let you glam the color of the reaper super mode cloak cause uhh

i like my glam otherwise but as one of three people who chose a reaper glam color that wasnt red or black i feel like my weapon contrasts weirdly

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Mordiceius posted:

pro tip - mail extras to a friend and have them return them

This is a good tip, but I'm lazy and I have enough retainers that I'm not worried about storing more right now.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Yeah I'm planning on mining up maps to sell, didn't realize the new ones were going for such low a price!

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Any level 90 node should do.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

they should really let you glam the color of the reaper super mode cloak cause uhh

i like my glam otherwise but as one of three people who chose a reaper glam color that wasnt red or black i feel like my weapon contrasts weirdly

I kind of like it on mine because it makes the shift to EdgeMode feel more distinct whereas when someone is already black rags it doesn't really show as well.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Any level 90 node should do.

I think the ones in zone 5 don't, actually.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
yeah i find all of my new maps in Z6 from non-ephemereal, legendary or unspoiled nodes.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

ImpAtom posted:

I kind of like it on mine because it makes the shift to EdgeMode feel more distinct whereas when someone is already black rags it doesn't really show as well.

You know EdgeMode is sinister because it puts you in crocs.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

just cast your fishing line into outer space like god intended

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

In party finder sometimes the categories are in gold, blue or gray. What's the difference? I assume gray is fake, prog folks trying to pretend they've completed it.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

For anyone who has done Triple Triad, is there a way to check what unique npcs you are missing? I have 105/107 unique npcs defeated and no idea what to even begin to search for guys to beat.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Eimi posted:

For anyone who has done Triple Triad, is there a way to check what unique npcs you are missing? I have 105/107 unique npcs defeated and no idea what to even begin to search for guys to beat.

Only way I know is lalachievements, put in your cards, and start looking for guys who have cards you don't yet. That'll narrow it down some as you check them.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Other than Eureka, does anyone know of tank-usable gloves/boots/pants that have subtle glows? I wandered into a dark corner and discovered a shtick by accident and I'm curious how to keep it going. (spoiled for EX2 weapon just to be on the safe side)

Edit: to give some answers to my own question, looks like Omicron/Omega, Scaevan, Alexandrian/Prototype and Ironworks have some I can play with.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Dec 30, 2021

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Bruceski posted:

Only way I know is lalachievements, put in your cards, and start looking for guys who have cards you don't yet. That'll narrow it down some as you check them.

Problem with that at least according to the in game guide, all the cards I have left are drops or from Eureka.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Bruceski posted:

In party finder sometimes the categories are in gold, blue or gray. What's the difference? I assume gray is fake, prog folks trying to pretend they've completed it.

I think it just turns gold if it has [Loot], teal if it has [Practice], blue if it has [Duty Completion] and stays gray if it has none of those.

If you open the listing and it shows [Duty Complete] in the header, it's not fake. If it shows in the text box, it's fake.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Eimi posted:

Problem with that at least according to the in game guide, all the cards I have left are drops or from Eureka.

Well, that means you can narrow it down to NPCs who have zero unique cards.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

admanb posted:

I think it just turns gold if it has [Loot], teal if it has [Practice], blue if it has [Duty Completion] and stays gray if it has none of those.

If you open the listing and it shows [Duty Complete] in the header, it's not fake. If it shows in the text box, it's fake.

One important thing to remember when looking at parties though, [Duty Complete] is only applicable to newly joining players, the condition will not be enforced on those already in a party. Hence "clear for one" that still says [Duty Complete]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
note that anyone can put up a party with [duty complete]. The restriction only applies to people who join through PF, not people who start in the party

if it says "clear for one" it's a scam you'll be stuck there for hours