Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

The sunshine state records 2222 cases. NSW 12226 and VIC 5137.

abigserve posted:

Turns out "she'll be right mate" is a dogshit way to run a country.

https://twitter.com/WYWFung/status/1476354079227932672

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
In QLD the app doesn’t even have a check out function. It’s check in only.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Budzilla posted:

First the Belconnen kebab shop and now this

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

The Lord Bude posted:

In QLD the app doesn’t even have a check out function. It’s check in only.

In the apps defense, people are god drat awful at checking out. I mean it should 100 be there, but yeah I would actually be pretty interested in seeing status on how often people actually did check out.

I remember from back in Melbourne times, some venues were actually okay at basically forcing people too.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Budzilla posted:

and there is no driver at the wheel

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
https://twitter.com/mrbenjaminlaw/status/1473784900876570624

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

I'm pretty sure it auto checks you out after 24 hours.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

The right way to build a contract tracing app would be to enable GPS when you "check in" that polls your location until you leave a set radius. Why not done?

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
It would be trivial to set a geofence callback in the app that would do that... It'd be like 4 lines of code

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

abigserve posted:

The right way to build a contract tracing app would be to enable GPS when you "check in" that polls your location until you leave a set radius. Why not done?

Theres also the Apple iBeacon things. Keno used them when they launched their mobile app in NSW as you could only play Keno in a pub/club. we had about 100 of the things installed on the ceiling with a special combo of them placed at the entrances and exits when I worked a a bowlo.

https://developer.apple.com/ibeacon/

you could essentially make the whole check in/out process seamless, but the cost of the hardware and then also maintaining them (they said each one had a 12 month battery but it was more like 3)

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Yeah I don’t think the Vic app has a check-out feature at all

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

dr_rat posted:

In the apps defense, people are god drat awful at checking out. I mean it should 100 be there, but yeah I would actually be pretty interested in seeing status on how often people actually did check out.

I remember from back in Melbourne times, some venues were actually okay at basically forcing people too.

Huh?

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

We're so hosed

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

No dude this is good.

We are free now.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Phigs posted:

No dude this is good.

We are free now.

Covid macht frei

go_banana
Oct 13, 2010
Judging from the Government's actions, I believe they believe this is the beginning of the end of the pandemic. Everyone gets it, its relatively mild and we go about our lives. Guess they could be right :shrug:
Well, unless you are old, have co-morbidities or are an anti-vax fuckhead.
and Scotty goes on to win the federal election :master:

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

If the antivaxers die, there's a swing to labor. The old too.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

freebooter posted:

One of the reasons I'm surprised stuff has taken off so quick in SA and also that people are as you say dickheads about masks etc is because I would've assumed people would be more willing to embrace NPIs and COVID-safe measures precisely because they haven't had two years to get thoroughly sick of them.

Lockdown burnout has always been in huge part that people can see there isn't the collective will from government to make it work—one rule for business and one for everyone else— and Sydney was emblematic of that. I can't go to the pub to even sit outside but a celebrity can fly in on a plane and give it to a limo driver. I have to wear a mask OUTDOORS but we can't organise effective hotel quarantine because the government is allergic to spending. That kind of thing.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

There are a lot of situations where indoor mask wearing isn't really feasible, or at least, it's not comfortable. Pubs and clubs specifically. I can see why someone would get annoyed that they have to wear a mask to buy a woolies roast chicken but there's no reason you can't mix with a hundred other people as long as you have a beer in your hand

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/lukehgomes/status/1476416779467378693?s=20

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
heaven forbid the government gives out free rapid tests, it might hurt a donors profits

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

Not to worry - the English cricket team will ensure there's at least a couple of rapid Tests coming up.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Solemn Sloth posted:

Yeah I don’t think the Vic app has a check-out feature at all

WA covid check in app doesnt have a check out function.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
7 day quarantine with a test that gives a 30% false negative on the 6th as the only requirement.

Don't get sick or be disabled or require medical intervention in the next few months because the health system is about to get catastrophically overloaded and hospitals a Petrie dish of COVID.

What's the odds on the Big Opening Up being about ten times as impactful to business as previous measures that actually protected people because it turns out that dead and dying customers don't buy goods and services.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Why on earth would private industry give a gently caress whether the purchasers of their tests are private citizens, or the government who buys in bulk and hands them out? Surely if anything if the government is buying them you'll probably shift more units?

edit- nvm he's talking about Chemist Warehouse not the manufacturers. Can the state govt just tell him to get stuffed and hand them out anyway?

Breetai posted:

a test that gives a 30% false negative

What?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Don't worry, we won't see the same problems in a few weeks that other countries are because she'll be right.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

abigserve posted:

There are a lot of situations where indoor mask wearing isn't really feasible, or at least, it's not comfortable. Pubs and clubs specifically. I can see why someone would get annoyed that they have to wear a mask to buy a woolies roast chicken but there's no reason you can't mix with a hundred other people as long as you have a beer in your hand

I think some of Australia's collapse in covid response was due to obsession with fairness and inconsistencies (although ostensibly reasonable) always being used at every turn to justify relaxing restrictions rather than increasing them both from an individual behaviour justification and policy making. The response to silly situations like this was always 'I guess there's no point wearing masks in woolies then' instead of 'maybe we should stop gathering in pubs' leading to exponential open er up momentum. It's still going on with the stuff around border travel testing.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

freebooter posted:

Can the state govt just tell him to get stuffed and hand them out anyway?

NSW and Victoria have already said that's what they're going to do

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Please, PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong, but I was looking up the efficacy of rapid tests and read that they return a positive result 70% of the time when the testee has COVID. This suggests a 30% failure rate to detect a positive case.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I was of the understanding that a RAT is more likely to give a false positive than a false negative, though maybe things change with new strains?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Laserface posted:

Pretty sure the NSW app checks you out when you check in somewhere else.

No, because you're supposed to like, check into a shopping centre, then the individual shop. You can be checked into multiple places at once.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I know there is huge precedent for this kind of thing, especially when the leaders are from different parties etc.

But ScoMo seems to be universally disliked by the State Premiers, and seems to have a particularly adversarial relationship even with the LNP run states.

He did like Gladys though. For whatever reason.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

BrigadierSensible posted:

E: bad joke.

He liked her because she could keep a secret.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Wasn't Avs' dad a big Gladys fan?

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

BrigadierSensible posted:

Dude, he and Gladys hated each other. He played best buddy in front of cameras when it suited his narrative and backgrounded and undermined her when it didn't.

Perrottet likewise hates the poo poo out of him.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Phigs posted:

No dude this is good.

We are free now.

"ABC posted:

Baby with COVID-19 dies in South Australia, state records 1,374 new cases

"Free". And no, they weren't vaccinated before you ask.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Wizard Master posted:

Not to worry - the English cricket team will ensure there's at least a couple of rapid Tests coming up.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Wizard Master posted:

England demonstrated the worst use of a bat since the Wuhan wet market

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Konomex posted:

"Free". And no, they weren't vaccinated before you ask.

Yeah we chose mass death over lockdowns. This is just the direct and easily foreseen result of our decisions. If we cared we wouldn't have done what we did. This is the freedom we asked for. Celebrate!